<3

Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Hikaru No Go
Samurai Champloo

/<3

And, while not obscure, I really enjoy fansubbed Naruto.
Any one remeber Appleseed from I think 2004?
any way looking throught the weekly best buy flyer I saw them advertise [Image: ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd]

Pretty much betters the first (or second counting '88) in every way. It is an action-genre movie, but the story is fine, better than the first cg incarnation. The cg is carp amazing, I thought, not-pixar but it got its own thing going for it, I especially like the tech. design.

Parts of it are like FMV-esque but I didn't really give a carp.
anyway if you like cyber-punk, sci-fi, GitS, or appleseed its worth a watch. Mind you I didn't really have much expectations, but w.e.

some screens. I dunno why...i guess im board.& vlc is kick carp:3
[Image: vlcsnap-3418686.png]
[Image: vlcsnap-3413683.png]
[Image: vlcsnap-3416045.png]
[Image: vlcsnap-3418109.png]
[Image: vlcsnap-3415262.png]
[Image: vlcsnap-3420069.png]
I definitely must check out Appleseed.

So, in an interesting strategy, the animation company Gonzo has decided to put legal subtitled episodes of two different shows on internet movie websites (Youtube, Crunchroll, and BOST TV) the exact same time they air in Japan. I checked one of them out, called the Tower of Druaga. It's based off of an ancient NES game, and the first episode is essentially a parody of anime and video game clichés. I don't know how the series will turn out, but the first episode itself had me dying. It's pretty damn hilarious. Take a look.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgQ6WJ8zhQ&fmt=18
I thought I would revive this topic with an update.

Has anyone ever heard of Masaaki Yuasa? I doubt if you have--he's a pretty obscure director. But I would definitely recommend his stuff. He's a wizard with style, and it's hard to classify his stuff as only anime--it's just good animation in general.

As far as I know, there's three big projects notable enough that you should check out. The first is a movie from 2003, called Mind Game. Animated by Studio 4°C, the animation is off the chains. The story itself is wild and silly, but it's his first job as a director. If anything, you should enjoy it.

The second big project is a series called Kemonozume. Basically, it tells the story of a man falling in love with a woman. Except she's the descendant of humans cursed by the Gods to sustain themselves only on human flesh. I just started watching this, so I'm not sure how it will turn out. But the first episode was enjoyable.

The third is a new series that debuted this year, called Kaiba. The designs are reminiscent of Osamu Tesuka's work, but it's a more adult series than it looks. Basically, in this world, people have their memories stored as data inside a chip. Even if the body dies, its memories live on and can be transferred to another body. Bad memories can be erased, and good ones downloaded. Typically, this is something only the rich can do, with the poorer ones resorting to selling themselves just to keep on living. The protagonist, Kaiba, travels through the world with no memories of his own. While trying to find them, he acts as an observer onto the lives of others in this world, discovering how melancholy and horrifying it truly is.

Here's the opening, if you're intrigued: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l5dJpSs_Wmk

Edit: ALSO! Alice--Nana is AWESOME.
Mr. Toto Wrote:I thought I would revive this topic with an update.

Has anyone ever heard of Masaaki Yuasa? I doubt if you have--he's a pretty obscure director. But I would definitely recommend his stuff. He's a wizard with style, and it's hard to classify his stuff as only anime--it's just good animation in general.

As far as I know, there's three big projects notable enough that you should check out. The first is a movie from 2003, called Mind Game. Animated by Studio 4°C, the animation is off the chains. The story itself is wild and silly, but it's his first job as a director. If anything, you should enjoy it.

The second big project is a series called Kemonozume. Basically, it tells the story of a man falling in love with a woman. Except she's the descendant of humans cursed by the Gods to sustain themselves only on human flesh. I just started watching this, so I'm not sure how it will turn out. But the first episode was enjoyable.

The third is a new series that debuted this year, called Kaiba. The designs are reminiscent of Osamu Tesuka's work, but it's a more adult series than it looks. Basically, in this world, people have their memories stored as data inside a chip. Even if the body dies, its memories live on and can be transferred to another body. Bad memories can be erased, and good ones downloaded. Typically, this is something only the rich can do, with the poorer ones resorting to selling themselves just to keep on living. The protagonist, Kaiba, travels through the world with no memories of his own. While trying to find them, he acts as an observer onto the lives of others in this world, discovering how melancholy and horrifying it truly is.

Here's the opening, if you're intrigued: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l5dJpSs_Wmk

Edit: ALSO! Alice--Nana is AWESOME.

Glad to see some people are pushing boundaries in modern animation, Im so sick of the mainstream pushed out every week.
Checked all of them out via youtube, cool stuff. Kaiba is especially unique in being simple, almost appears to be a childs show.
kemonozume's animation appeals the most to me, really like angles, character design.
Still I don't plan on watching them, as i don't want to spend the time....>>

hey did you hear the want to make AKIRA live action, with hollywood backing etc.

thanks for sharing though. Wink
some good animes i enjoyed were the melancholy of haruhi suzimiya, ah! my goddess, deathnote, cardcaptars, dot hack roots, king of thorns
A TV Channel down here started airing a show called Death Note that comes after a Video Game show i always watch, and damn its a pretty cool show, kinda getting sick of reading subs and so on so the voiceovers are a nice change and are well done, I doubt they would take stuff out since it is a pretty Violent show.

Other than that, I don't really bother with Anime, i liked the Beyblade Animes and that was pretty much it, got letdown with Naruto because for me theres was too much talking and not enough action.
Blue Wrote:Glad to see some people are pushing boundaries in modern animation, Im so sick of the mainstream pushed out every week.
Checked all of them out via youtube, cool stuff. Kaiba is especially unique in being simple, almost appears to be a childs show.
kemonozume's animation appeals the most to me, really like angles, character design.
Still I don't plan on watching them, as i don't want to spend the time....>>

hey did you hear the want to make AKIRA live action, with hollywood backing etc.

thanks for sharing though. Wink
Thanks for looking! I'm glad at least someone read it. But yeah, both series really push the boundaries of what's considered anime. Kemonozume and Mind Game especially were both created for exploring new styles and techniques not typically utilized.

The Akira movie, man, I hope it's sweet. I'm not sure how they're going to be able to do the whole ending scene though.

Also, I hear that Spielberg is thinking about directing the live action Ghost in the Shell movie. Hopefully Dreamworks does a good job, even though I haven't seen the original yet anyways.
Am I the only one who didn't think Akira was that great?
Bey Brad Wrote:Am I the only one who didn't think Akira was that great?

Akira was the carp along with zoid, cardcaptors and sailormoon(even though it was a girly anime it was still good)
I dunno, to me it seemed like Akira was some weird-carp animation that wasn't that meaningful, just some sci-fi fare, but everyone waxes philosophical about it so they can be accepted into the otaku community (see: Evangelion).
Bey Brad Wrote:I dunno, to me it seemed like Akira was some weird-carp animation that wasn't that meaningful, just some sci-fi fare, but everyone waxes philosophical about it so they can be accepted into the otaku community (see: Evangelion).

The animation of it. Mostly Character design reminded me a lot of Princess Monoke. Although I haven't seen Akira all the way through (I saw the ending and I've seen the beginning. (Ending was pretty f-ing bizarre even for something as surreal as this.)
Bey Brad Wrote:I dunno, to me it seemed like Akira was some weird-carp animation that wasn't that meaningful, just some sci-fi fare, but everyone waxes philosophical about it so they can be accepted into the otaku community (see: Evangelion).

i think the reason u dont like it cause when it came to the USA (around 1990) anime wasnt known and because of this movie anime became popular in the US
It wasn't really groundbreaking, but it was likely one of the first experiences Americans had to anime. It was an adult cartoon released in theaters, and it made its way into the mainstream. Even if you don't like anime, many adults can mention Akira just because of how crazy it was. Kanye West is even a fan, surprisingly. Aside from that, the animation was amazing for a film made in the late 70s-early 80s.

As for the plot, well, I'm not even sure what it was about anymore. But it did garner a lot of fans.

EVA TANGENT

Evangelion isn't special in its philosophy though. It's the characters that shine. Instead of the typical shonen hero, Shinji is a manically depressed, bipolar teen who desperately clings onto anyone who shows him attention. The three other main characters, Misato, Rei, and Asuka are actually the same. But the way they express it comes out in other ways. All of them somewhat reflect the depression Hideaki Anno (the creator) was going through at the time.

But you can't deny its aesthetic beauty. It was pretty imaginative in its imagery. The biblical themes are a nice touch, but they serve as tools to progress the story rather than to force one to delve into philosophy.
Um, I saw it when I was fifteen. I don't like it because I didn't think there was anything special in it. I'm not speaking of its exposure to the mainstream; just my personal feelings.

As for Eva, to be fair I only watched the first six episode, and didn't see enough to make me interested in watching more.
Bey Brad Wrote:Um, I saw it when I was fifteen. I don't like it because I didn't think there was anything special in it. I'm not speaking of its exposure to the mainstream; just my personal feelings.

As for Eva, to be fair I only watched the first six episode, and didn't see enough to make me interested in watching more.
I can understand that you don't like Akira--not everyone does.

But yeah, you definitely need to go a bit further in Evangelion to understand what the hubbub is about. It starts off rather formulaic, and a monster-of-the-week series. I suggest watching the new movie (Rebuild of Evangelion 1: You Are (Not) Alone) to get a better feel for the characters (even though it literally only covers the first six episodes, haha...). I think the real masterpiece of the series is the finale, End of Evangelion. Visually pleasing and interesting.

Then again, it's hard to like the series if you can't identify with the main character. Many hate it because they think Shinji's whiny and stuff, but fail to look at his position through their own eyes.
brad its because your use to seeing better graphics for animes cause people tend to do that. akira was the movie that got me into anime
anyway if u like funny animes you should see the melancholy of harahi suzimiya, ai yori aoshi, and karin(chibi) vampire
kira729 Wrote:brad its because your use to seeing better graphics for animes cause people tend to do that. akira was the movie that got me into anime
anyway if u like funny animes you should see the melancholy of harahi suzimiya, ai yori aoshi, and karin(chibi) vampire

disregard this post, as my opening post obviously wasn't read by him
kira729 Wrote:brad its because your use to seeing better graphics for animes cause people tend to do that

I didn't like it because it didn't capture me. As a comparison, I loved Castle in the Sky.
[quote=Mr. Toto]
In this topic, we talk about very good anime. Suggestions and stuff. It's so that we can focus on multiple, hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

im not tryimg to start a fight but my last post had nothing 2 do with the above post bout a guy with a magialc sword as this was your first post
kira729 Wrote:[quote=Mr. Toto]
In this topic, we talk about very good anime. Suggestions and stuff. It's so that we can focus on multiple, hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

im not tryimg to start a fight but my last post had nothing 2 do with the above post bout a guy with a magialc sword as this was your first post

That was Toto's point.

Your above post wasn't relevant to this topic.
kira729 Wrote:im not tryimg to start a fight but my last post had nothing 2 do with the above post bout a guy with a magialc sword as this was your first post
The "magical sword" thing was also a guideline to stray away from the formulaic. If you're recommending a series, can you go into why exactly they're good? Looking at images through Google Images alone, they don't seem innovative or groundbreaking at all. Most of it just seems like plain normal moe. I have no problem with you recommending any series in this topic, but I think you should at the very least be able to tell us why exactly they break away from the mold.

I actually quite enjoyed Haruhi Suzumiya because the writing was actually interesting, but it doesn't do anything for anyone if you don't mention anything about it. As for Ai Yori Aoshi and Chibi Vampire, I've never seen those. But pictures alone make it seem like they're just ordinary moe with predictable storylines and such. Give a description.
moeeeeee~

ALSO HAS EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD READ HIKARU NO GO YET, DO ITTTT
Bey Brad Wrote:moeeeeee~

ALSO HAS EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD READ HIKARU NO GO YET, DO ITTTT

I did last month. It starts off good, but the ending really put a bad taste in my mouth. It didn't really end or resolve anything, which is upsetting.