Very Good Anime

Cye Kinomiya Wrote:If I were one of them I'd be frustrated as hell.

After reading this from wikipedia I just had to start watching it. I usually don't like mecha anime let alone Gundam, but this series really impresses me.
Plot according to wikipedia:

The series is set in the year 2307 AD of the Gregorian calendar. During this time, fossil fuels became exhausted and the distribution of fuels became imbalanced. Humanity must rely on an array of solar power generation systems orbiting the Earth, and supported by three orbital elevators, each one pertaining to one of the three "major powers" on the planet.

The Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations (世界経済連合, sekaikeizairengō?, abbrev. ユニオン Union, lit. World Economic Union), consisting of the Organization of American States, Australasia and Japan, control the elevator located in South America. The Human Reform League (人類革新連盟, Jinrui Kakushin Renmei?, abbrev. 人革連 Jinkakuren, lit. Human Reform Alliance), consisting of China, Siberian Russia, India, the nations of South Asia (excluding the middle-Asian states of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan), Mongolia, the member states of the ASEAN, Papua New Guinea, the Korean Peninsula, and Taiwan, control the elevator located in the Pacific Ocean. The Advanced European Union (AEU), consisting of Iceland, the islands of the Barents Sea, Greenland, Anatolia and the entirety of the traditional continent of Europe, control an elevator built in the middle of the African continent.

With this infinite source of energy benefiting only the major powers and their allies, constant warfare around the globe for fuels and energy lead to the formation of a private military organization, called Celestial Being (ソレスタルビーイング, Soresutaru Biiingu?), dedicated to eradicating war and unite humanity with the use of four humanoid machines called Gundams.[4][5]

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 follows four mobile suit pilots termed Gundam Meisters ( ガンダムマイスター, Gandamu Maisutā?), sided with Celestial Being. The protagonist is 16-year old Setsuna F. Seiei (刹那・F・セイエイ, Setsuna F. Seiei?), a quiet, taciturn young man who grew up in the Kurdish Republic, and a Gundam Meister for two years. He pilots the GN-001 Gundam Exia, a high mobility mobile suit effective in melee combat.

Heh, I suspose thats true. Sounds interesting though. Have you seen Gundam SEED or Gundam SEED Destiny? Do you think 00 is better..? I've almost finished GSD, I've been buying most of the DVDs as they've come out.
I think Seed, as gundam seasons go, was even worse for the fanservice than Wing. I couldn't watch it.
Well I can't say which is better, but I prefer 00.

There was fanservice in Seed?
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:There was fanservice in Seed?

See: every single episode

It's mainly male fanservice, but it's so ridiculous. Seed and Seed Destiny were generally bad series, although the second half of Seed was pretty tight and the first half of Destiny was cool until the director's wife carp all over the storyline. Also, every character looks the exact same as the other one regardless if they're male or female.

Also, recently, there's been a lot of posts that completely contradict what I wanted to get out of this thread. Just for future reference, fanservice does not constitute a good series.

We're looking for original plotlines, great art direction, and more obscure stuff.
If it's on YTV, it's not obscure, kids.

Responses to anime brought up in the topic:
Desert Punk (Explain)
Bleach (lol)
Dragon Ball(all series) (WHAT)
Digimon(all series) (SERIOUSLY?!)
Monster Farm/Monster Rancher (No. No x100, as this constitutes generic shonen show.)
Konjiki No Gash Bell!/Zatch Bell! (It's cool for a shonen, but the anime craps out at the end and the series isn't really good.)
FLCL (100% Recommended)
SoltyRei (Explain)
Burst Angel (Explain)

Obscurity and originality is the key.

Also, check out Paranoia Agent and Paprika, both by Satoshi Kon. The latter is a film. The man is very creative and interesting. I'll go more in depth tomorrow, but definitely look them out.
Oh yea. I second, even third Paprika. Visually amazing (I rate amongst Akira, Steamboy, Bebop[movie], Ghibli quality animation), and unsettling at times, soundtrack was GREAT asset. totally check out.

any one know about tekkonkreet?

Studio Ghibli films are all worth seeing at least seeing once. I have seen many, I'd say my favorite is Porco Rosso. Anyone seen this? the main character is a Pig WW1 Ace fighter Pilot in the mediterranean. good plot not outrgeous or fantasical.
Mr. Toto Wrote:Digimon(all series) (SERIOUSLY?!)

Tamers was pretty much the perfect show for children/young teens IMO.

But yeah it doesn't really suit what this topic is going for.
Burst Angel, while having watched about half of the series, is practically all fanservice lmfao. Big carp and scantily-clad females that have guns and shoot the carp out of things. It's got like two mecha in it (from the episodes I have seen). Think Air Gear, but instead of skates, add in guns and such. And more boobs.

Initial D. Initial D. INITIAL D. As I have probably said before, the character doesn't really need to improve at the start of the series, as he already is good. But, he needs to get better to get a better grasp at different cars and techniques.

Different cars with racers of different styles. The cars have their own individual engine sounds. Sure, the CG is sub-par considering what we could do today, but in the time it was being produced was top-notch.

There's a little bit of humor too, so that it'll let you breathe from the intense-ness of the races (in my opinion anyway).

I like the anime over the manga due to the audio. Music is nice too.
Mr. Toto Wrote:Also, recently, there's been a lot of posts that completely contradict what I wanted to get out of this thread. Just for future reference, fanservice does not constitute a good series.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were the animu god. Telling people what they can't suggest? Seriously.

Mr. Toto Wrote:We're looking for original plotlines, great art direction, and more obscure stuff.

Eh, you didn't really say "STICK TO ANIME YOU KNOW NO ONE HAS HEARD OF" in the first post, so I didn't.

Mr. Toto Wrote:Responses to anime brought up in the topic:
Desert Punk (Explain)
Bleach (lol)
Dragon Ball(all series) (WHAT)
Digimon(all series) (SERIOUSLY?!)
Monster Farm/Monster Rancher (No. No x100, as this constitutes generic shonen show.)
Konjiki No Gash Bell!/Zatch Bell! (It's cool for a shonen, but the anime craps out at the end and the series isn't really good.)
FLCL (100% Recommended)
SoltyRei (Explain)
Burst Angel (Explain)

Eh, I just ripped my favorite anime list that I've posted all over the internets so many times.
Desert Punk takes place in a desolate future in Japan. Japan is basically a giant desert(The Great Kanto Desert) where it's hard for most people to get by. It focuses on Kanta Mizuno, AKA "Desert Punk"(Sunabozu is the Japanese title), a guy trying to make ends meet as a mercenary. The first few episodes are light-hearted one or two episode adventures introducing most of the central characters, while the second half has Kanta engaged in a revolutionary uprising against the Oasis Government, the people who make the desert such a hard to place live. There's lots of twists and you'll never guess what happens next. EVER. carp 10/10 for me.
Bleach's art and music is orgasmic, and while fights can be pretty long, it avoids one of DBZ's faults, and has OTHER things happening with the other characters. Downside, shitload of characters(not really a downside unless you'd LIKE to know their names, like me).
Dragon Ball I hold in high regard because of Akira Toriyama's art style and of course, the action scenes.
Digimon(all series) probably have the best plot progression and character development I've ever seen in an anime EVER.
Monster Rancher is a favorite basically for nostalgia's sake. One of the first I saw.
The thing about Zatch Bell! is, it's SOOOOOOOO cliche, it's not. Zatch/Gash is always procaliming how he has to protect people, a la shonen hero, and it's hilarious how it's overdone. It drags on in the South America arc, though. And yeah, the anime ended with it's own ending while the manga kept going, kinda like Fullmetal Alchemist(except FMA sucks).
Skipping FLCL; it should be apparent to everyone it is one of the greats.
SoltyRei: BEAUTIFUL ART AND CGI, ASSKICKING SOUNDTRACK, HOT CHICKS FIGHTING. I'm a bit pissed though that I accidentally read the ending on Wikipedia before I saw it, ruining it for myself. It's great. Though, I made it sound like there's more fanservice than there already is.
Burst Angel: Another GONZO anime, like Kiddy Grade, Desert Punk, Afro Samurai, and SoltyRei. Fanservice is pretty much expected, also, lots of guns.
J.P. Black Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:We're looking for original plotlines, great art direction, and more obscure stuff.

Eh, you didn't really say "STICK TO ANIME YOU KNOW NO ONE HAS HEARD OF" in the first post, so I didn't.

Hmm, he kind of did state that in the first post;
Mr. Toto Wrote:hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

Now that I look at it, I think the title of this thread could have been worded better after seeing what you guys are saying about some of the animes mentioned.

Anyways, I don't think .hack//SIGN has been mentioned here. It's pretty awesome, AND obscure.
I have to recommend initial d too. fourth stage was great, lots of racing to eurobeat. I can't say I care too much for the story, as its predictable. FGr a car guy like me its wicked anyway.
Battlestage!!<3
you know I kinda wrote off desert punk as nothing special after seeing the first episode, thought is was derivative.
But Jp, reading your description makes me want to skip the intro type episodes and see what you mean.
Having watched both Burst Angel and Desert Punk, I can say they don't really suit this topic, especially the former. Desert Punk does get more serious later on...somewhat, but still doesn't fit here IMO.

Mentioning this again, but I think the topic title should be changed. Some people just simply came here with the idea of posting their favourite anime (probably thought the rest of the thread was tl;dr), when that's not what this topic is for as it has been adressed before, although liking the show is an obvious requirement if you're posting about it here.

Maybe something along the lines of "Mature/Serious anime shows" followed by a "Standard shonen/shoujo anime, GTFO now" description lol
Kei Wrote:Hmm, he kind of did state that in the first post;
Mr. Toto Wrote:hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

J.P. Black Wrote:Eh, you didn't really say "STICK TO ANIME YOU KNOW NO ONE HAS HEARD OF" in the first post, so I didn't.

Key words there.

King of Darkness Wrote:Having watched both Burst Angel and Desert Punk, I can say they don't really suit this topic, especially the former. Desert Punk does get more serious later on...somewhat, but still doesn't fit here IMO.

Mentioning this again, but I think the topic title should be changed. Some people just simply came here with the idea of posting their favourite anime (probably thought the rest of the thread was tl;dr), when that's not what this topic is for as it has been adressed before, although liking the show is an obvious requirement if you're posting about it here.

Maybe something along the lines of "Mature/Serious anime shows" followed by a "Standard shonen/shoujo anime, GTFO now" description lol

That make more sense. "Very Good Anime" can apply to anything(except Yu-Gi-Oh! or Gundam, of course), and it just reflects Toto's biased opinion of shonen series. Of course, "standard" is a pretty loose term, as I could say "this topic is just full of standard seinen carp" or "standard shonen carp" or "standard ecchi carp." Case in point, if you only want seinen series mentioned, you probably should've explicitly said that instead of making an obscure reference dissing other genres.

Blue: I don't really see why you would. I don't know if you wantched the English dub by FUNimation, but the show is a lot funnier in English than it is Japanese(Eric Vale[Trunks;DBZ] does an amazing job). Most quoteable anime ever.

"I OWN THIS DESERT BITCHES!"
"I wouldn't do anything for you even if it was you I had to do."
"THIS AINT OUR FIRST SQUARE DANCE carp"
"MY MOMMA
AINT NO
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!"
Amazing second opening
Epic fight.
I think that we mainly know of all the mainstream animes (ex Death Note, Bleach, Naruto, Gundam, DB[Z], etc), but not the "underground" (so to say) ones.

All "mainstream" ones COULD be considered good/OKAY, but sometimes, you have to search harder to find better ones. (kind of like music)
bugturtles Wrote:I think that we mainly know of all the mainstream animes (ex Death Note, Bleach, Naruto, Gundam, DB[Z], etc), but not the "underground" (so to say) ones.

All "mainstream" ones COULD be considered good/OKAY, but sometimes, you have to search harder to find better ones. (kind of like music)

Except some anime is not well known for good reason: they're actually bad.
Wait, Death Note is mainstream?
If it's at Hot Topic, yes, it is mainstream.
J.P. Black Wrote:I'm sorry, I had no idea you were the animu god. Telling people what they can't suggest? Seriously.
You're blowing this out of proportion. I was looking for titles that actually have some substance. They can be fun shows too, but you have to make a convincing argument.

J.P. Black Wrote:Eh, you didn't really say "STICK TO ANIME YOU KNOW NO ONE HAS HEARD OF" in the first post, so I didn't.
I didn't say stick to things that nobody has heard of, but I did clearly say to list titles that weren't very popular. There are, of course, exceptions given the source material. Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are examples.

J.P. Black Wrote:Eh, I just ripped my favorite anime list that I've posted all over the internets so many times.
Desert Punk takes place in a desolate future in Japan. Japan is basically a giant desert(The Great Kanto Desert) where it's hard for most people to get by. It focuses on Kanta Mizuno, AKA "Desert Punk"(Sunabozu is the Japanese title), a guy trying to make ends meet as a mercenary. The first few episodes are light-hearted one or two episode adventures introducing most of the central characters, while the second half has Kanta engaged in a revolutionary uprising against the Oasis Government, the people who make the desert such a hard to place live. There's lots of twists and you'll never guess what happens next. EVER. carp 10/10 for me.
Okay, then this would make me want to at least check it out. A description of what a show holds helps out a lot. You're saying that it's not just fanservice, and maybe it's comedy holds something.

J.P. Black Wrote:Bleach's art and music is orgasmic, and while fights can be pretty long, it avoids one of DBZ's faults, and has OTHER things happening with the other characters. Downside, shitload of characters(not really a downside unless you'd LIKE to know their names, like me).
I wasn't specifically referring to Bleach when I said this. I actually like Bleach--it's a fun show. But count the number of anime in Japan that use the exact same formula. It's ridiculous.

Plus, Bleach is popular too. It comes on Adult Swim. It comes on YTV. It airs in a ton of countries. This is like trying to suggest Naruto or DBZ in this topic.

J.P. Black Wrote:Dragon Ball I hold in high regard because of Akira Toriyama's art style and of course, the action scenes.
There's nothing wrong with the show. It's just that it's probably the second most well-known anime in the world and everybody knows about it.

J.P. Black Wrote:Digimon(all series) probably have the best plot progression and character development I've ever seen in an anime EVER.
Digimon has been out for ten friggin' years. Tons of people have heard of it. It's a good show for kids, but it's not really what this topic was looking for.

J.P. Black Wrote:Monster Rancher is a favorite basically for nostalgia's sake. One of the first I saw.
And this is why it's 'very good'?

J.P. Black Wrote:The thing about Zatch Bell! is, it's SOOOOOOOO cliche, it's not. Zatch/Gash is always procaliming how he has to protect people, a la shonen hero, and it's hilarious how it's overdone. It drags on in the South America arc, though. And yeah, the anime ended with it's own ending while the manga kept going, kinda like Fullmetal Alchemist(except FMA sucks).
Dude, I explained that clichéd shows shouldn't be suggested. Zatch Bell is interesting, but it follows the basic shonen formula. What's special about it? You need to say why it is.

J.P. Black Wrote:SoltyRei: BEAUTIFUL ART AND CGI, ASSKICKING SOUNDTRACK, HOT CHICKS FIGHTING. I'm a bit pissed though that I accidentally read the ending on Wikipedia before I saw it, ruining it for myself. It's great. Though, I made it sound like there's more fanservice than there already is.
This does nothing to make me want to watch the show. Hot chicks fighting? That sounds like, um, probably every anime airing in Japan right now.

J.P. Black Wrote:Burst Angel: Another GONZO anime, like Kiddy Grade, Desert Punk, Afro Samurai, and SoltyRei. Fanservice is pretty much expected, also, lots of guns.
GONZO is a good animation company, and they don't take shortcuts. But a ton of their shows have little substance to them. There's only a few gems that I've seen from them (Welcome to the N.H.K, Bokura no, Samurai 7, etc.), and although I'm sure there are more, I have been assured that there isn't much to this show. Again, what makes this special?

J.P. Black Wrote:That make more sense. "Very Good Anime" can apply to anything(except Yu-Gi-Oh! or Gundam, of course), and it just reflects Toto's biased opinion of shonen series. Of course, "standard" is a pretty loose term, as I could say "this topic is just full of standard seinen carp" or "standard shonen carp" or "standard ecchi carp." Case in point, if you only want seinen series mentioned, you probably should've explicitly said that instead of making an obscure reference dissing other genres.
Why are you jumping down my throat? My post made in response to your choices was in jest, although my opinion still stands. You hadn't done anything to say why these shows were good, and it does nothing to recommend stuff that's known by everyone who's seen an anime before.

This topic isn't solely for series aimed towards adults, but good anime shows in general. Something that shows some imagination, creativity, and good writing in general. It can be in any genre.

Also, H-anime is designed for people to get off. It has no place in this topic. I wasn't doing this to offend you, and if I have then I apologize. But the title of the topic itself is for shows that this is a fact for. The show has to be the carp.
Good response, Toto.

JP, please don't try to fight back about this, you were clearly trying to argue for the sake of arguing over semantics. I think it's clear to anyone with any sense of literacy what Toto was asking for in this topic.
Does it HAVE to be anime? Can it be manga? Because there's at least one gem I would suggest, but the anime is garbage compared to the manga. (It's a little over done and a bit Shonen, but I like it none the less.)
Tamer Brad Wrote:Good response, Toto.

JP, please don't try to fight back about this, you were clearly trying to argue for the sake of arguing over semantics. I think it's clear to anyone with any sense of literacy what Toto was asking for in this topic.

Uh... yeah, I was. I believe he should've worded it better.
oh and thanks for totally insulting my intelligence right thar brad
JP, I have a hard time believing you didn't actually know what Toto was asking about. It seems like you simply wanted to argue over his wording.
AnnieDuck Wrote:If it's at Hot Topic, yes, it is mainstream.

best post I've seen in this topic
Tamer Brad Wrote:JP, I have a hard time believing you didn't actually know what Toto was asking about. It seems like you simply wanted to argue over his wording.

I understood it after KoD's and Toto's response.