Very Good Anime

In this topic, we talk about very good anime. Suggestions and stuff. It's so that we can focus on multiple, hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

So has anyone heard about Baccano? I just saw part of the series for the first time, and let me tell you that it's pretty exciting. It's based on this light novel series serialized in Japan, taking place in the early 1930s. There are about seventeen main characters, and the plotline focuses around a tragedy occurring on a train known as the Flying Pussyfoot, in which many were murdered.

It shows it's fair share of likable characters, and it's quite interesting. It's also pretty graphic. In the first episode, to my shock, you see a >ten year old boy murdered in a rather graphic way. But the story itself is awesome. It's only thirteen episodes, and I wouldn't want to spoil too much so I can't reveal more about the plot. But it is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjqlVt6y2A (The opening theme, which is very cool.)
This series is obscure in the way that it combines both the magical girl genre, the sci-fi military wars genre, and the epic magical adventure genre in a strangely well-fitting combination. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. As Raven describes it, it is the only series that is accurately described by both "magical girls" and "totally carp badass."
Ichida Wrote:This series is obscure in the way that it combines both the magical girl genre, the sci-fi military wars genre, and the epic magical adventure genre in a strangely well-fitting combination. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. As Raven describes it, it is the only series that is accurately described by both "magical girls" and "totally carp badass."

the word "obscure" does not mean what you think it means
Ichida Wrote:This series is obscure in the way that it combines both the magical girl genre, the sci-fi military wars genre, and the epic magical adventure genre in a strangely well-fitting combination. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. As Raven describes it, it is the only series that is accurately described by both "magical girls" and "totally carp badass."
I think you mean that it's unique in terms of a magical girl anime rather than being obscure. Japan seems to like it a lot, and it's probably a good show for what genre it's in. However, I'm not a fan of the character designs at all.

What I read on Wikipedia, the series itself seems to take a pretty weird turn...It goes from Inuyasha x Sailor Moon type series to like, Bubblegum Crisis or something. I think that I would watch it on a long car ride somewhere if there was nothing to do, and probably end up enjoying myself to some extent. However, the only magical girl series I've ever actually enjoyed were Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

But yeah, check out Baccano. It's not only obscure, but a very unique series. It's written quite well.
GHOST IN THE SHELL: STAND ALONE COMPLEX
I don't watch anime, but every now and then I go hunting for some lesser-known manga to read.
GHOST IN THE SHELL: STAND ALONE COMPLEX SECOND GIG
AnnieDuck Wrote:GHOST IN THE SHELL: STAND ALONG COMPLEX SECOND GIG

quoting for typo
Mr. Toto Wrote:In this topic, we talk about very good anime. Suggestions and stuff. It's so that we can focus on multiple, hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

what do you have against bleach
rooneyt Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:In this topic, we talk about very good anime. Suggestions and stuff. It's so that we can focus on multiple, hopefully more obscure, titles in one topic that offer more substance instead of the spiky-haired boy with magical sword powers stuff.

Everything.

I'm gonna go with Hitman REBORN!. It is impossible to find a good anime nowadays and Hitman REBORN! did it for me. Its just different than anime I've seen.
I've been meaning to watch Baccano! for a while. I'll get around to it eventually. XD

And yes, seconding Katekyo Hitman REBORN!. It's a Shonen Jump series, yes, but probably one of the most enjoyable ones to read. It's really different compared to a lot of series, and part of it's charm lies in the fact that it makes fun of itself regularly. I've yet to find a person who's read it that's disliked it. Grin
NANA and Gunslinger Girl. I'm knackered at the moment and I can't be bothered to talk about them so... find out for your lazy selves. 8)
Yeah, unique, not obscure. I was kind of distracted while I was typing that. My bad. Pinching_eyes_2
Go watch Hikaru no Go. Not as good as the manga, still great.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Go watch Hikaru no Go. Not as good as the manga, still great.

So the anime was decent? I've never gotten around to watching it anywhere, maybe I will now.
Alice Wrote:NANA and Gunslinger Girl. I'm knackered at the moment and I can't be bothered to talk about them so... find out for your lazy selves. 8)

I've heard very good things about both series, so I'll check them out.

When I made this post, I had honestly only seen three episodes of Baccano! However, I just finished it all in a marathon screening, and I can honestly say that it is among the best anime I have ever seen. The characters come to life. It's both horrifying and exciting at the same time. I feel like it's best to watch it all at once, kind of like a cinematic experience. There's so much tension and surprises revealed, and every episode is fun to watch. If you haven't already, seriously, watch it.

One thing that I forgot to include is that there is one supernatural element to this story--immortality. But it makes it all the more interesting.
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:
rooneyt Wrote:

Everything.

I'm gonna go with Hitman REBORN!. It is impossible to find a good anime nowadays and Hitman REBORN! did it for me. Its just different than anime I've seen.

Doesn't seem very obscure to me, but yeah, it's pretty awesome.

Carina Wrote:I've been meaning to watch Baccano! for a while. I'll get around to it eventually. XD

And yes, seconding Katekyo Hitman REBORN!. It's a Shonen Jump series, yes, but probably one of the most enjoyable ones to read. It's really different compared to a lot of series, and part of it's charm lies in the fact that it makes fun of itself regularly. I've yet to find a person who's read it that's disliked it. Grin

I love how it takes a sudden turn from pure comedy retardedness (albeit with a high amusement value that kept me hooked) to shonen gold at the start of the first serious arc.
one word...................BLEACH!!!
Litrid Wrote:one word...................BLEACH!!!

Serious

I think this is exactly the sort of show this topic was trying to avoid.

Just a stab in the dark there though.

Also, there is only one anime worth my time: Fooly Cooly/FLCL.

<3

one word...............AVATAR!!!!
Tamer Brad Wrote:

one word...............AVATAR!!!!

*Pushes up glasses*

But Brad, according to my research, Avatar is not an anime. I can't believe you'd confuse these.

*Licks glue stick*