"Trolling", and why it's not a good thing.

I'm going to make one thing perfectly, blatantly clear in this post: any and all posts made purely with the intention of aggravating other users, upsetting people, causing a nuisance, or being a pain in the rump for the Administrators or Moderators of this forum, will be met with a very firm hand and generally not tolerated at all.

The Community Rules clearly state:

Quote:Before posting a new reply in a thread, ask yourself: does my reply contribute to this conversation in any way? If it does, go ahead and post it. If not, don't, or you could get in trouble.

If you're making a post, it should have some content. Meaningless posts aren't OK, nor are one-liners like, "cool!" "LOL" etc. Images are also one-liners. Essentially, keep this in mind: only post if you have something to say.

This is a message board, not a chat room. Posting here is a group activity and you shouldn't be bouncing posts back and forth with another user. Use Private Messages for that.

Be polite to other members; treat members here how you would like to be treated.

Absolutely no indication of "trolling" falls into any of this, and is thereby considered breaking the rules.

This is a simple reminder of why anyone doing this will be punished for it; it is a clear and blatant violation of both the rules and common decency, and only for the sake of a cheap, immature giggle on behalf of the poster. If you consider "trolling" to be a positive thing, you are wrong.
Thankyou for this, it's a shame it even has to be said, but lately it's become far too common and it's getting tiresome.

Also, thanks for making a topic to make this clear to people so no misunderstandings are had, though for something like this, people shouldn't be expecting anything other than what they get.
I really hope people read this, and then think about what they do before they do it for now on. Nice Hazel! Smile
Great idea, Hazel. This oughta slow down those trollers a bit. Good thinking!
(Aug. 08, 2012  12:40 AM)SoulEater57 Wrote: I really hope people read this, and then think about what they do before they do it for now on. Nice Hazel! Smile
The irony is strong in this one.

Anyways, Hazel, I salute you.
It has become EXTREMELY common for me to see people doing this around the forum, and the excuse is always the same "But the rules don't say I can't.", yeah, this should also fix the "but how was I suppose to know?" excuse.
Thanks.
Thank you Hazel! It was becoming common for me to see people trolling around here.
(Aug. 08, 2012  2:23 AM)Zancrow Wrote:
(Aug. 08, 2012  12:40 AM)SoulEater57 Wrote: I really hope people read this, and then think about what they do before they do it for now on. Nice Hazel! Smile
The irony is strong in this one.

Anyways, Hazel, I salute you.
It has become EXTREMELY common for me to see people doing this around the forum, and the excuse is always the same "But the rules don't say I can't.", yeah, this should also fix the "but how was I suppose to know?" excuse.
Thanks.

>:l way to be mean
Don't argue.

But anyways, I really favor this rule. I get so irritated when I see trolling. When I report it, it seems like the post only gets deleted. Anyhow, I really love this rule, as well as the reinforcement.

Edit: Made a typo on my kindle.
(Aug. 08, 2012  3:34 AM)Takasu Wrote: Don't argue.

But anyways, I really tabor this rule. I get so irritated when I see trolling. When I report it, it seems like the post only gets deleted. Anyhow, I really love this rule, as well as the reinforcement.

Uh, I mean no offense by this, but a few of us are wondering what you mean by "I really tabor this rule."
Could you clarify, please?

ta·bor/ˈtābər/
Noun:
A small drum, esp. one used simultaneously by the player of a simple pipe.

What? Maybe I messed up here but...
I think he meant "favor", but he said me made a typo and then changed it.
We definitely needed something along the lines of this thread put up at some point. Thank you, Hazel.
It stuns me that this even needs to be stated...The only thing we can do about it is when something trollish pops up, we simply must not "feed the trolls"
(Aug. 10, 2012  10:13 PM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: It stuns me that this even needs to be stated...The only thing we can do about it is when something trollish pops up, we simply must not "feed the trolls"

Well with the amount kids that are on the internet more often, they think it is fun to "troll" and they will do it. Some will even point out that they are trolling by stating it themselves. DNFTT only works with the older age group and kids here will feed the troll voluntarily if given a chance. This thread will hopefully discourage any body with the intention of trolling.

And the recent trollings are so bad, seriously. So poorly done and they make real trolls die of shame. If you're going to troll, do it right Tired But this was not for future trolls, just a little comment on the recent trolls.
Just noticed this Grin

Thanks Hazel, this will be helpful for new members that don't understand that trolling here isn't tolerated and won't get them into trouble.

Well, hopefully they'll read it...