[Toronto, Ontario, Canada] General Tournament Interest Seeking

(Jun. 26, 2016  1:37 PM)jonahblader13 Wrote: I saw something about a Canada Day tournament. Is it going to happen? If so I am in town!

Still trying to confirm if I'm good for that day. It should be able to happen though!
(Jun. 26, 2016  1:49 PM)Mitsu Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2016  1:37 PM)jonahblader13 Wrote: I saw something about a Canada Day tournament. Is it going to happen? If so I am in town!

Still trying to confirm if I'm good for that day. It should be able to happen though!

If it will I have a couple format ideas.
(Jun. 26, 2016  2:15 PM)jonahblader13 Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2016  1:49 PM)Mitsu Wrote:

We had planned on doing Burst, but definitely share your ideas! I'm not sure if we can all agree on doing more than the one, though. Tongue_out
(Jun. 26, 2016  2:17 PM)Mitsu Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2016  2:15 PM)jonahblader13 Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2016  1:49 PM)Mitsu Wrote: Still trying to confirm if I'm good for that day. It should be able to happen though!

We had planned on doing Burst, but definitely share your ideas! I'm not sure if we can all agree on doing more than the one, though. Tongue_out
I was thinking like a MFB format and Deck Rotation Burst.
Would anyone be interested if a tournament were hosted closer to the Toronto Core?

I'd like try my hand at hosting one some time soon, and Queen's Park seems like a pretty nice location.

Additionally, if the summer weather makes park tournaments unfeasible, there's also the option of hosting tournaments at a venue. I'm close friends with the person who manages the play space at A and C games on College/Spadina, usually used for video game/trading card game tournaments. There are pros and cons to doing this, however. The most immediate setback is most venues, AnC included, charge a venue fee for us to use the place. For AnC World, that fee is usually $5 per person. This may (understandably) not float well with some people because of our existing passport/entry fee system.

That being said, if entrants were to bear with the venue fee, it would allow us to host tournaments in a large, air-conditioned room that's in very close proximity to snacks and food and such. Plus if we hosting an event that's more or less guaranteed a decent turnout, it's possible that they'd be willing to sponsor some prizes and the like. (I was told this by staff that would be involved in that process.)

As an somewhat unrelated aside, the way I've always known AnC World to work is that once you've paid to enter, for an event or otherwise, you've got more or less unlimited access to play whatever games/systems you want, provided they're in stock (this is the primary function of the venue when not in use for tournaments, etc).

All in all, it's a cool place, definitely worth looking into, and possibly better holding off on until Burst's NA release. At the same time, I don't work for these guys, so even if we decide that they aren't a good fit, I still feel like it'd be a good idea to host some tournaments closer to the annex, and wouldn't mind doing so myself.
It sounds like a great idea, but at the moment, we're definitely deprived for time, with the tournament in 5 days. I'd look into it for the future, but for now, it'd be best if we stayed at Dufferin Grove. Smile
Yeah Asterisk, that sounds like something definitely worth considering for when Burst is released internationally. Right now I wouldn't be confident doing it even knowing that we generally have 10+ people for our regular events, especially with the entry fee that will be required; all of our players who have bought Passports probably wouldn't be happy having to pay that if we play there all the time.

If anything, I think it would be good try it once or twice during the winter months when we really do need an indoor venue. That's always been a problem for us, so I'd be happy to try to have one there in November, December, January, or February. I wouldn't want to make it a regular tournament venue because it limits the amount of support the WBO receives directly, which will become significantly larger once Burst is launched internationally and we get a lot of kids who come to play only once and pay $6 (there will be kids who stick around of course, but inevitably there will be some who play once and don't come again, like during MFB), but it might work well as an alternative to outdoor tournaments in the winter since otherwise they likely wouldn't happen at all (especially in January and February).
Are you guys down for another year of Unplugged Expo? Now would definitely be the time to get in contact with the convention! http://unpluggedexpo.com/

@[Kei] @[cadney]
I'm down! I'm prepping for my trip to Iceland right now, but I'm definitely game to help with the event and work as staff should we decide to contact them.
@[Lani], @[Mitsu], @[cadney], @[1234beyblade], @[JesseObre], @[LMAO], @[Technik], @[verycarefully], @[✱], @[Thokami], @[Hato], @[Wally.web], @[lord Wolfblade], @[Minion], @[{YT}EnderBlader], @[pyrus10000], @[OldSchool™]

Hi everyone! From what I understand, 1234beyblade will be hosting our next tournament on Sunday, August 21st. Is that right, 1234beyblade?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to try and agree upon the date for the tournament after this next one to try and help out Lani who needs extra notice to be able to book the day off. We generally do one every two weeks, so would Sunday, September 4th be alright with everyone? I can host, or if anybody else wants to, feel free to volunteer instead.

And if we could agree to try and plan for this in general from now on so that we're always one tournament ahead, that would be great, as it would give Lani and anybody else who needs to book time off work a chance to be able to make it out for our tournaments!
I may not be able to attend since I may be out of Ontario at the time, so don't really have the info to give a yes or no to the date.
I'll be at the Pokemon World Championships in San Francisco.
I may be able to show up If there's parking available
(Aug. 13, 2016  4:49 AM)Kei Wrote: I can host, or if anybody else wants to, feel free to volunteer instead.

i gotchu ;-)

Confirmed for the August 21st event!
Im down
Just want to get an opinion, would you guys prefer a ZRG and BST tourney or 2 BST tourneys.
Eww i havent played zero g in soo long soo but sure lets do tht!
I'm a Burst/Zero-G type of guy. Cool
Please, let's not do Zero-G. I honestly prefer to just do one format/series per day; otherwise your preparation time is twice as big because you have to get ready for both formats ...
How long does preparation really take though, like less than 30 minutes? I don't see an issue with spending 1 hour to prepare for basically a whole day of blading.
(Aug. 14, 2016  7:03 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: How long does preparation really take though, like less than 30 minutes? I don't see an issue with spending 1 hour to prepare for basically a whole day of blading.

That plus practicing. Smile It just makes the whole event/day a much larger commitment since I don't want to enter a ranked event I don't feel thoroughly prepared for. And it's especially difficult when we play a format we haven't played in a long time like Zero-G.

If you guys really want to do another format, I'd prefer Standard or Limited since we've done them more recently.

I also just don't like Zero-G enough anymore to feel a great desire to play ranked events with it, haha. Too much dependence on selecting the right spin direction ...

Anyways, this is just my opinion! Feel free to make whatever decision you think will make the most people happy.
I can be there for August 21 but the September 4th date I'll be at FX.
(Aug. 15, 2016  3:39 PM)Technik Wrote: I can be there for August 21 but the September 4th date I'll be at FX.

Same man!!
(Aug. 14, 2016  7:41 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Aug. 14, 2016  7:03 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: How long does preparation really take though, like less than 30 minutes? I don't see an issue with spending 1 hour to prepare for basically a whole day of blading.

That plus practicing. Smile It just makes the whole event/day a much larger commitment since I don't want to enter a ranked event I don't feel thoroughly prepared for. And it's especially difficult when we play a format we haven't played in a long time like Zero-G.

If you guys really want to do another format, I'd prefer Standard or Limited since we've done them more recently.

I also just don't like Zero-G enough anymore to feel a great desire to play ranked events with it, haha. Too much dependence on selecting the right spin direction ...

Anyways, this is just my opinion! Feel free to make whatever decision you think will make the most people happy.

I fell like a zero g tourney would be interesting! Or perhaps we can take a break from Burst, and do one tourney of zero g, and or have two tourneys, zero g and metal fight? i dunno just an option. But I'm still always up for more burst! Wink

(Aug. 14, 2016  6:40 PM)Kei Wrote: Please, let's not do Zero-G. I honestly prefer to just do one format/series per day; otherwise your preparation time is twice as big because you have to get ready for both formats ...

Oh! Also put me down for the 21!!! Smile
Hey @[Mitsu], for our tournament on September 4th @[Lani] suggested to me that we perhaps move it to Roundhouse Park since they removed many of the Pokestops at the Ferry Terminal. We'll get a lot of foot traffic at Roundhouse Park since it's so close to the Fan Expo. How does that sound?