Thoughts and concerns on Single Bey Format?

Sadly I don’t have too much experience with classic or limited so I can’t speak on that. But for standard I can say drift and Xtend+ are almost all you need for drivers. They are pretty OP. Banning them would make creative combos but it was mentioned before a deck format with 2beys could do the same. Its a tough call and may honestly need its on thread. Those drivers are the META in standard, no doubt about that and without them you’d definitely see more unique combos. Personally I’d rather not ban them but I do think they are another reason to change single Bey format. They are the main 2 decision making drivers on what your counter pick would be in my honest opinion. Leaving them in will be great for deck or P3C1 for strategy but it’s also tough for single Bey format as you will pretty much auto lose with the wrong choice.
(May. 01, 2021  11:32 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: That is another thing to bring up. In most TCG games for their standard format they ban or limit cards. Do people think or feel that some parts should be band in standard play? How long has parts like Xtend+ dominated or parts like Drift given a very unfair advantage in the opposite spin match ups?
This is one of the reason I favor decks.  Very hard to say something is truly without a counter and terribly safe in a deck. Much less need to ban anything if only deck formats exists. 

In general, My philosophy is to allow ppl to have a chance to use all the parts they spend their money on, or as many as reasonable.
Banning parts may increase or decrease creativity. Forcing ppl to look hard for surprising solutions isn’t bad. I like bans to be last last resort.
I feel like for this game I would never want to see a part get banned for standard. But when it comes to the current 1v1 format the top 3 safest drivers you see people using are xtend+, drift, and Zone’+Z. And because you never know which one you will go up against you never feel safe using a hard counter driver for any of them. Which sucks because there is no creativity there. However, using some sort of deck will allow players to experiment with different drivers/parts to find cool combinations.
(May. 02, 2021  1:24 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I feel like for this game I would never want to see a part get banned for standard. But when it comes to the current 1v1 format the top 3 safest drivers you see people using are xtend+, drift, and Zone’+Z. And because you never know which one you will go up against you never feel safe using a hard counter driver for any of them. Which sucks because there is no creativity there. However, using some sort of deck will allow players to experiment with different drivers/parts to find cool combinations.
Something could also be said about the creator of the game (TT) plays some form of deck format mostly for official events in their own league (WBBA).  Their product development process may have that in mind, well, maybe, maybe not.
(May. 02, 2021  1:27 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  1:24 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I feel like for this game I would never want to see a part get banned for standard. But when it comes to the current 1v1 format the top 3 safest drivers you see people using are xtend+, drift, and Zone’+Z. And because you never know which one you will go up against you never feel safe using a hard counter driver for any of them. Which sucks because there is no creativity there. However, using some sort of deck will allow players to experiment with different drivers/parts to find cool combinations.
Something could also be said about the creator of the game (TT) plays some form of deck format mostly for official events in their own league (WBBA).  Their product development process may have that in mind, well, maybe, maybe not.

I feel like they do a lot of their own testing. Granted there are a large amount of drivers at this point in the game. I feel like there are some instances where TT makes a driver and it could be a hard counter to something they plan on bringing out down the line. Kind of like how sometimes the counter to a deck in yugioh will come out and it’s not really good, but then a few months later another deck will come out that is really good, and yet the deck that wasn’t good ends up being a great counter to that new good deck.
(May. 02, 2021  1:27 AM)Shindog Wrote: Something could also be said about the creator of the game (TT) plays some form of deck format mostly for official events in their own league (WBBA).  Their product development process may have that in mind, well, maybe, maybe not.

I 100% think they do. From the players I follow on social media a lot of them are directly involved with TT WBBA events/reviews (the main guys that do the new release reviews) . Like any pro league or series the developers build around them and products trickles down for everyone to use. So I can agree that if deck format is the method that the top players are using then the strategy for play is more than likely centered around deck.
I think P3C1 is the best option to go with. The experience with the style of play fits the best with spirit of the game overall I feel. But I feel the biggest benefit of this style over the other two is time, I see so so many individuals, Especially parents, concerned how long the tournament is going to take and even a couple of times get frustrated a tournament is going on for as long as they have.
(May. 02, 2021  10:09 AM)We RacingCheetahz Wrote: I think P3C1 is the best option to go with. The experience with the style of play fits the best with spirit of the game overall I feel. But I feel the biggest benefit of this style over the other two is time, I see so so many individuals, Especially parents, concerned how long the tournament is going to take and even a couple of times get frustrated a tournament is going on for as long as they have.

Time is a big factor.  I will argue, and I know you have seen this in LA because I know you were right there several times, the biggest time eater in tournaments are LAD battle draws/ties.  I know you remember those 20-30 mins matches that we have had, they are not all that rare.  Once this starts in single bey format (P3C1 does become single bey) and we get the cameras out, we have no choice but to let the battles go for 20-30 mins. I am pretty sure you have judged a long one between Mitchjett and Alta in MFB standard, and I am pretty sure you were there when I judged a near 40 min match that involved a hS.Br combo a while back with 3 cameras out in the end.  There are just so many instances of these time devouring matches.  One of these long drawn out soul crushing matches will slow a round down and an entire tournament down despite how fast other matches in the round go.  

Although this isn’t done anymore, the WBBA use to employed the “2 or 3 draws and you move on to the next bey” tactic.  This has gone away since the 5G format has been introduced (which officially does not allow the reshuffle), so the match has to conclude within the 5 beys (which means WBBA do have to keep playing out draws now I believe).   Because 3v3 is a deck, you do have the choice of shifting both players into their next bey when the draws pile up.  The ability to limit how many draws/ties we have to do is actually one of the things that I like the best about 3V3 deck.  

I do realize time is a major factor in running WBO events.  I do want to point out deck formats can offer some potential time saving strategies that we can employ if we decide to do so.  There are somethings that we can do if players are playing in a match with more than one combo.
Thinking about time, I decided to do a very quick, extremely unscientific look at how much time each format takes in the WBO.  Since I can’t find any WBO 3v3 deck format videos that are largely unedited, I left it out. Of course this isn’t exact, its just to get a rough idea.  Here we go with ugly screenshots:

Single bey format:

[Image: 66syWsL.jpg]

P3C1 at my experimental event:

[Image: lE92Hss.jpg]
Deck format finals matches at Beyblade West:
[Image: pLoGB3l.jpg]

Of course, it is important to note the WBO deck format matches here are 5 points since they were finals matches.  The P3C1 matches, and single bey matches are to 3 points. Interesting to note that 3 point WBO deck format for the first stage idea has popped up.  WBBA 3v3 deck format is officially to 3 points.

Also, this is the only WBO’s WBBA 3v3 deck format video that I remember.  

https://youtu.be/Ya7YUgU3c8s
This is something I definitely agree with; I too believe all three suggestions are better than the single Beyblade format.
P3C1: I've been interested in P3C1 since it first debuted. The strategy and skill is certainly more prominent than the single Beyblade format, and the mind games are far more interesting.

WBO Deck Format: Though I've only played one match utilizing this format so far, WBO Deck Format is arguably my favorite suggestion here. Like others have said, it's something I believe everyone should be able to experience, even at the most basic levels of play. Time is an issue here, though shortening the matches to first to three and/or limiting decks to two Beyblades for the first stage would help mitigate this issue. Strategy and skill are very prominent here.

WBBA 3v3: This one is probably my least favorite of the three. It's not that I consider it a bad format, it's just that it's a little too unwelcoming to newer players who haven't had the time to assemble solid combinations and learn proper combination placement. Other than this, it's a very solid format and would introduce some intriguing rules.

Ranking them, I'd say:
1) WBO Deck Format
2) P3C1
3) WBBA 3v3

Overall, I believe that incorporating these formats into first stage would improve WBO tournaments and allow for more diverse combinations to see use.
You made some good points Shindog and I honestly woke up thinking about the exact thing you were saying, weird I know. Anyway even though I do feel P3C1 is a better mind game format and would be incredibly fun, deck overall has the best benefit.

FriedPasta said it yesterday with WBBA 3v3 with being stuck in a bad combo. The same can happen with P3C1. This wasn’t as big of a deal to me until I thought about time. Being stuck in a drift mirror with countless draws or judge deliberation can be tough. Making the wrong decision can be tough. I mean we could say “oh well you should’ve chose better” but like I said yesterday there is a big differentiation in cognitive skills with some players.

With deck you have options. I want to revisit the 2 Bey deck format option too. That saves time in decision making. New players may not fully understand countering but they still have an option. So even if they don’t choose that initial great pick they can switch. Even if they still lose at least they have the choice and idea to see what’s wrong with their strategy. P3C1 leaves no choice. And it can lead to just being a modified Single Bey format.

Deck incorporates everything. You initially start off P3C1 or even P2C1, but if you make the wrong choice you still have a chance to switch. You’re not locked into your decision. Strategist or not, you will try the switch or unique combos if given the option.

Time and experimental knowledge can be gained too. Experienced players know what to choose to quickly win. Inexperienced players have the chance to experiment and learn what could work by having the options available to them, even if they lose.

I’ve been back and forth and P3C1 is still my favorite for my personal reasoning with mind games. But for the benefit of the game as a whole and fluidity of it Deck format may be best.
It is my personal opinion that the most strategic part of the WBBA 3v3 format is the reshuffle. This occurs after you have seen all of your opponents beyblades and actually played against said combos. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always occur when played to 3 points as the game could be over before the reshuffle. If played to 3 points in 3v3, there is a good chance that the 3v3 reshuffle is a form of P3C1 at that point anyway, for all the marbles. I personally also believe there is plenty of mind games and strategy in the initially order of the deck. But yes, it is possible to get stuck in 3 terrible match ups before the reshuffle.
So after thinking overnight, as well as reading everyone’s thought on this I’ve really started to see all of the pros and cons to each one differently.

I still think WBBA 3v3 format is the worst option out of the 3. I also realized that in WBBA KOs are worth 2 points if memory serves me right. So that makes a big difference with the time factor too. Considering the only way for WBO to get 2 points is by bursts. (which have become more rare.) P3C1 is still my overall favorite and what I would choose on a personal level. However, I can see the problem of time if you get stuck in a spin equalizing drift mirror or something. Now I’ve come to feel that for the overall health of the game, staff should really look into doing a 2 bey, first to 3 points WBO deck format. This format saves time, promotes more skill and less luck. And allows the WBO to force players to switch beys if you get into a spin equalization problem. (If they would want to enforce that.)
I forgot to mentioned that I don’t mean for single bey format to disappear.  Obviously, I just would like to replace it in ranked events.  Other than time, one of the biggests pros of single bey format is accessibility.  Someone can got to Target, buy one Beyblade, and play in a WBO event.  I still want that to be true.  I would just rather that to be achieved in unranked events.  

There could be unranked events that  cater to new players mores, designed to grow the community locally once in a while.  These events don’t even necessarily need to have any deck format at all.  Naturally, the most competitive players may not want to come to these events, or they might come with the intention to teach the game.  I would discourage prizes but that is just me.  Events that are more focused on mentoring so to speak.  

Frankly, there is a chance that brand new player that comes to a highly competitive ranked tournament with stock Spear Dullahan D6 won’t do very well against (MCC)TΣ.Wh.Xt+ 1S and all sorts of Rages.  This may or may not be a rewarding experience that convince ppl to come back.
(May. 02, 2021  4:24 PM)Shindog Wrote: I forgot to mentioned that I don’t mean for single bey format to disappear.  Obviously, I just would like to replace it in ranked events.  Other than time, one of the biggests pros of single bey format is accessibility.  Someone can got to Target, buy one Beyblade, and play in a WBO event.  I still want that to be true.  I would just rather that to be achieved in unranked events.  

There could be unranked events that  cater to new players mores, designed to grow the community locally once in a while.  These events don’t even necessarily need to have any deck format at all.  Naturally, the most competitive players may not want to come to these events, or they might come with the intention to teach the game.  I would discourage prizes but that is just me.  Events that are more focused on mentoring so to speak.  

Frankly, there is a chance that brand new player that comes to a highly competitive ranked tournament with stock Spear Dullahan D6 won’t do very well against (MCC)TΣ.Wh.Xt+ 1S and all sorts of Rages.  This may or may not be a rewarding experience that convince ppl to come back.

I can agree to this whole heartedly. As a competitive player I am always up to go to a ranked tournament when I can. However, I feel as if the only way to actually get better at the game is to keep bringing new players into it so they too can grow to love the game and want to strive to get better. So I would be completely down to go to a untangled tournament that’s soul purpose is to teach newer players how to really play and get into the game. Whenever Covid lifts I have plenty of spare TT parts that I would gladly give away to new players so they can learn the difference. And not just the players. A lot of parents ask questions and want to learn more too.
Untangled lol Smile.

Agreed as well. That was a thought I had when starting to organize, how can I make it fair for kids or players who don’t have as much or can’t afford Beys but still want to play. We have a lot of parts so even if a kid shows up without a Bey we can loan them one so they can enjoy their day. Single Bey Format should stay, for unranked, to still be an option for players getting involved. Ranked events can also detour some new people away. Less stress and slow introduction to the game can help and single Bey format in that aspect is perfect.
In WBBA 3v3 and P3C1 and WBO Deck formats, newer bladers with fewer valid beys for a format (especially in restrictive formats such as Burst Classic or Burst Limited) are inherently disadvantaged. Especially right now since borrowing and lending beys during a tournament is prohibited during a tournament for safety reasons.

Having 3 beys introduces more strategy, and makes it more fun for the bladers who attend multiple tournaments and have many parts. Conversely, less fun for novices and those without many parts, because it takes away a lot of their ability to win matches. It's a level of gatekeeping that is going to turn away the more novice bladers.

In single bey formats, there's always the possibility that a blader is going to have one really decent bey or matchup and defeat bladers who might have more parts and experience. If you want to remove the randomness (and hope) allowing inexperienced bladers to defeat more experienced ones, or if it is your opinion that more experienced ought to always defeat less experienced bladers, go all in on 3v3 or P3C1 or WBO Deck.
(May. 02, 2021  7:25 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: In WBBA 3v3 and P3C1 and WBO Deck formats, newer bladers with fewer valid beys for a format (especially in restrictive formats such as Burst Classic or Burst Limited) are inherently disadvantaged. Especially right now since borrowing and lending beys during a tournament is prohibited during a tournament for safety reasons.

Having 3 beys introduces more strategy, and makes it more fun for the bladers who attend multiple tournaments and have many parts. Conversely, less fun for novices and those without many parts, because it takes away a lot of their ability to win matches. It's a level of gatekeeping that is going to turn away the more novice bladers.

In single bey formats, there's always the possibility that a blader is going to have one really decent bey or matchup and defeat bladers who might have more parts and experience. If you want to remove the randomness (and hope) allowing inexperienced bladers to defeat more experienced ones, or if it is your opinion that more experienced ought to always defeat less experienced bladers, go all in on 3v3 or P3C1 or WBO Deck.

Thank you you have some valid points. It wasn’t for the randomness or eliminating hope to inexperienced players, that pretty cruel actually. It was to eliminate the scouting or spying to say. To eliminate the experience Blader coming to get set after seeing the novice or young bladers single combo. Having 2 or 3 Bey combos can help to eliminate the method of spying and fully countering a player. Nothing is perfect but it’s just ideas thrown out to help and let the Swiss phase also be more strategical.
(May. 02, 2021  7:55 PM)StayCool Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  7:25 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: In WBBA 3v3 and P3C1 and WBO Deck formats, newer bladers with fewer valid beys for a format (especially in restrictive formats such as Burst Classic or Burst Limited) are inherently disadvantaged. Especially right now since borrowing and lending beys during a tournament is prohibited during a tournament for safety reasons.

Thank you you have some valid points. It wasn’t for the randomness or eliminating hope to inexperienced players, that pretty cruel actually. It was to eliminate the scouting or spying to say. To eliminate the experience Blader coming to get set after seeing the novice or young bladers single combo. Having 2 or 3 Bey combos can help to eliminate the method of spying and fully countering a player. Nothing is perfect but it’s just ideas thrown out to help and let the Swiss phase also be more strategical.

I'd argue rules as is, eliminates scouting. So its not the rules but how different organizers/players handle the beyblade selection process. Like I said previously, most players come up to the stadium with their beyblade already "set". To me it's as simple as either following the rules or telling new players to keep their selection hidden when coming up to the stadium.
To accomplish what the WBO wants to accomplish with project AIDA, the underutilized unranked events should and will receive more attention, support, and  utilization.   We should look at lowering the barrier of entry even more with unranked so ppl can try Beyblade.  For players that want to jump straight in to the more competitive ranked events, they can do so as well.

I have already mentioned that I don’t think deck format is a must have at all in unranked formats. This is already currently true for formats like Plastics and HMS which are unranked.   This can level the playing field more for new players in unranked.
(May. 02, 2021  8:19 PM)froztz Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  7:55 PM)StayCool Wrote: Thank you you have some valid points. It wasn’t for the randomness or eliminating hope to inexperienced players, that pretty cruel actually. It was to eliminate the scouting or spying to say. To eliminate the experience Blader coming to get set after seeing the novice or young bladers single combo. Having 2 or 3 Bey combos can help to eliminate the method of spying and fully countering a player. Nothing is perfect but it’s just ideas thrown out to help and let the Swiss phase also be more strategical.

I'd argue rules as is, eliminates scouting. So its not the rules but how different organizers/players handle the beyblade selection process. Like I said previously, most players come up to the stadium with their beyblade already "set". To me it's as simple as either following the rules or telling new players to keep their selection hidden when coming up to the stadium.
I known several top ranked players do not play with pre-constructed combos at all in the first stage. They bring their part case to the stadium and they quickly make a decision, construct, and present to the judge to be set. It is just their habit.  I don’t usually play this way but I have in the past. Would this be allowed at your to tournament?  I do not do this to have an opportunity to gain an unfair advantage.  It is just that sometimes I just want to play something that just came to me.
(May. 02, 2021  8:19 PM)froztz Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  7:55 PM)StayCool Wrote: Thank you you have some valid points. It wasn’t for the randomness or eliminating hope to inexperienced players, that pretty cruel actually. It was to eliminate the scouting or spying to say. To eliminate the experience Blader coming to get set after seeing the novice or young bladers single combo. Having 2 or 3 Bey combos can help to eliminate the method of spying and fully countering a player. Nothing is perfect but it’s just ideas thrown out to help and let the Swiss phase also be more strategical.

It’s handled differently because of various players. Young, old, new and experienced. A 5 year old coming to play may not be as concerned with the discretion. But the older competitive player will and can take advantage of that. Spying is against the rules, organizing the match to where we have both players bring their Beys and multiple parts and produce a combo back to back will be tough. To be fully honest it’s just wild, we shouldn’t have to tell older players or experienced to not hard counter the younger kids or new players just because they don’t understand the concept of hiding their Bey or deck. I’ve seen it happen to my son and I’m just not cool with it. I wouldn’t do that to any kid or anyone no matter if there is a loophole in the rules. 

I understand it’s ok for some to find the advantage anyway they can, but I honestly feel if you don’t have the skill to beat your opponent straight up then that’s kinda sad. Especially if it’s teens/adults vs young kids just trying to play.

(May. 02, 2021  8:36 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  8:19 PM)froztz Wrote: I'd argue rules as is, eliminates scouting. So its not the rules but how different organizers/players handle the beyblade selection process. Like I said previously, most players come up to the stadium with their beyblade already "set". To me it's as simple as either following the rules or telling new players to keep their selection hidden when coming up to the stadium.
I known several top ranked players do not play with pre-constructed combos at all in the first stage. They bring their part case to the stadium and they quickly make a decision, construct, and present to the judge to be set. It is just their habit.  I don’t usually play this way but I have in the past. Would this be allowed at your to tournament?  I do not do this to have an opportunity to gain an unfair advantage.  It is just that sometimes I just want to play something that just came to me.

Your method is what I prefer to do and will implement in the future. It will restrict anyone from knowing what someone will choose. My future events will be conducted like this to maintain balance and follow the rules as they are written.
I think in the end, I just want formats where we don’t have to worry as much about what is legal and illegal scouting to be honest.   Less policing is nice imo.  I will run through finals with the same 3 beys sometimes without changing anything at all.  I am not that creative.  Frankly, I don’t care if ppl scout my deck.   I like to think it isn’t just the deck that does work, “I” am the part that is hard to scout... or not.
(May. 02, 2021  8:36 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(May. 02, 2021  8:19 PM)froztz Wrote: I'd argue rules as is, eliminates scouting. So its not the rules but how different organizers/players handle the beyblade selection process. Like I said previously, most players come up to the stadium with their beyblade already "set". To me it's as simple as either following the rules or telling new players to keep their selection hidden when coming up to the stadium.

My interpretation of the rules is exactly that, players should bring their parts and construct on the spot. Beyblade Selection rules for Burst:

"Once across from each other at the BeyStadium, each blader is to turn their backs and select their Beyblade in secret within 3 minutes.

If you are receiving help–in the form of advice or parts–from someone else, you must announce who is helping you to both the judge and your opponent. Parts borrowed at any point during the event for future use must be announced as well. The exact part(s) do not need to be announced, just the person they are being borrowed from.  During the match, players are not allowed to receive coaching or gameplay advice of any kind from the bystanders. 

Once a blader selects their Beyblade, they must announce that they are “set” and present their launcher and Beyblade to the judge for inspection.

Also:

"During Beyblade selection, bladers are forbidden from:
  • getting up and/or leaving the BeyStadium
  • turning around before both bladers are set
  • attempting to spy on or gain information about the opposing blader’s selection
  • attempting to switch their equipment after announcing they are set"

Now again most just bring a single beyblade i.e. I typically just bring Tempest up.