The Duel Masters / Kaijudo Thread: Magic had a baby and it's totally *awesome*

(Jun. 15, 2012  11:11 PM)Axel Phantom Wrote:
(Jun. 15, 2012  6:35 PM)Temporal Wrote: Technically, ALL TCGs are a ripoff of MTG. I mean, Magic WAS the first popular TCG. It just happened to be that YGO was spawned from a manga and anime.

i didnt feel like the game was trying to be like yugioh (though now i can see how similer and superior it is to MTG) I was meaning the dub was trying to mimic the yugioh dub

Parody dub. It WAS trying to mimic YGO. That was the point. In fact, YGO is mentioned quite vaguely. The show mentioned a "Egyptian Guy who plays card games," or something like that. Or the Batman reference early in the series. The show in English had a LOAD of parodies.
(Jun. 16, 2012  12:00 AM)To Wrote:
(Jun. 15, 2012  6:35 PM)Temporal Wrote: Technically, ALL TCGs are a ripoff of MTG. I mean, Magic WAS the first popular TCG. It just happened to be that YGO was spawned from a manga and anime.

In the case of Duel Masters, and Kaijudo they're direct descendent's of Magic. Wizards of the Coast designed the games, and they share some characteristics.

Wasn't MTG's prototype name DuelMasters? Says so on the wikipedia page, but I wanted to make sure.
I'm not certain on that. Potentially.

Anyways, the hobby store exclusive battle decks should be available now. They're the ones with the Razorkinder, and Tatsurian.

The first booster pack also exclusive to hobby shops should be hitting stores too. Unfortunately my nearest hobby shop doesn't carry the game yet. Unhappy

The boxes for the battle decks are really nice, and are based on the stone tablets used to summon monsters in the TV show.
I'll really consider buying these. I bought the movie of the original one, and it was pretty good, IMHO.
well if you have a local card shop you could pick up a Bull Rush starter deck, it comes with a pack and its around $11.99
Am I wrong for being disappointed because Kaijudo isn't like the old Dual Master's dub? I got a good laugh from the show, it being a TCG anime parody in it's entirety and all.
Given that dub likely hurt the card game more than it help, ehhhh.
(Aug. 03, 2012  4:22 AM)To Wrote: Given that dub likely hurt the card game more than it help, ehhhh.

i agree entirely the dub only had a few legidimately funny moments, the running gags and most of the jokes got old fast but enough talking about old duel masters,

Kaijudo as a show is pretty cool, I think it would work even without the game, and the game being almost identical to the DM TCG should only help it along
so... is anyone gonna get one of the new compedative decks when they come out
[Image: ppK8e.gif]

Quote:Artist Shinsuke Takahashi and writer Shido Kanzaki have launched their Duel Masters Rev. manga series in this year's 39th issue of Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine on Wednesday. There have been several manga inspired by the Duel Masters trading card games, but most have run in Corocoro Comic, a magazine aimed at younger readers, and its spinoffs. This is the first Duel Masters manga in Weekly Shonen Sunday.

The modern fantasy centers around a 15-year-old boy who once was caught up in the Duel Masters craze, but he left the game behind after elementary school. However, a Duel Masters card that he buried in a time capsule is linked to an event that can change the course of human history.

To mark the launch of the new manga series, the latest Weekly Shonen Sunday issue bundles a limited "Forever Princess" card.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...nen-sunday
(Aug. 23, 2012  8:50 AM)Axel Phantom Wrote: so... is anyone gonna get one of the new compedative decks when they come out
How much are they priced at? Maybe I would just get a few booster packs.
(Aug. 29, 2012  2:22 PM)Ansonih Sama Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2012  8:50 AM)Axel Phantom Wrote: so... is anyone gonna get one of the new compedative decks when they come out

if it fallows the same price as the bull rush deck, $11.99 and it comes with a pack
Quote:R.E. Dalrymple, the Kaijudo Global Brand Director at Hasbro, told the retail news source ICv2 that his company has no future plans to release the Duel Masters manga and anime in the United States. Hasbro relaunched the Duel Masters trading card game (TCG) franchise in the country this past summer with the Kaijudo TCG.

To support the game, Hasbro Studios produced a new animated series called Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters in the United States. The series premiered on The Hub, the new television channel from Discovery Communications and Hasbro, in June.
Dalrymple explained that Hasbro will not license the Duel Masters anime again "in order to keep the consumer message focused on the new story of Kaijudo and reduce possible consumer confusion."

In Japan, Duel Masters has spawned nine television anime series since 1999: the first Duel Masters anime, Duel Masters Charge, Shinseiki Duel Masters Flash, Zero Duel Masters, Duel Masters Zero, Duel Masters Cross, Duel Masters Cross Shock, Duel Masters Victory, and most recently, Duel Masters Victory V (pictured right). The Cartoon Network ran the first anime series in the United States, but none of the later anime came to North America.

There have also been four long-running manga series in Shogakukan's Monthly Corocoro Comic magazine: the first Duel Masters, Duel Masters FE, Duel Masters SX, and the ongoing Duel Masters Victory. There have also been various manga spinoffs in Monthly Corocoro Comic and its sister magazines. None of the manga have been released in North America.

Dalrymple offered a further explanation of Hasbro's reasons for focusing on Kaijudo in lieu of the Japanese manga: "When we created Kaijudo, we felt it was very important to create an emotional connection between a new generation of kids and the mind-blowing creatures of Duel Masters and Kaijudo. Our goal is for kids to discover their own personal favorite creatures from the TV show, or online, and then dive deep to collect and play their favorites in our great, fast TCG. Given that change in story approach, we currently do not have plans to license the Duel Masters manga in the U.S."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...anga-anime
(Aug. 31, 2012  12:43 AM)Axel Phantom Wrote:
(Aug. 29, 2012  2:22 PM)Ansonih Sama Wrote:

if it fallows the same price as the bull rush deck, $11.99 and it comes with a pack
SOunds good. Maybe I can get my mom to take me out to Target or Toys R Us. They come out on the seventh, right?
(Sep. 05, 2012  2:01 AM)Ansonih Sama Wrote:
(Aug. 31, 2012  12:43 AM)Axel Phantom Wrote:
(Aug. 29, 2012  2:22 PM)Ansonih Sama Wrote: How much are they priced at? Maybe I would just get a few booster packs.

SOunds good. Maybe I can get my mom to take me out to Target or Toys R Us. They come out on the seventh, right?

yes, although a handfull of walmarts have packs early they only have the rocket storm deck
Okay.
Siked that they came out today. My mom is gonna take me. I don't think I will get a deck, unless maybe I look it up on youtube to see what it is. Probably just get booster packs, and see how it is. Is the online game anything like it is in real life?
Ok, so my mom took me to Target, but they didn't have anny Kaijudo cards I have ALMOST officially given up on this card game. Tired
(Sep. 08, 2012  1:05 AM)Ansonih Sama Wrote: Ok, so my mom took me to Target, but they didn't have anny Kaijudo cards I have ALMOST officially given up on this card game. Tired

I've checked Target a few times, try a local card shop.

k. I think there us one at a mall near me. Hopefully...
give it time, some places must be slow at getting them
The show is pretty good, it can get boring but it is funny. "RAAHH! Quit saying bob!"
I don't I will watch the show. I don't consider a lot of stuff funny. If you can make me laugh, then you have my respect... That's how sad my life is... haha
(Sep. 10, 2012  11:43 PM)Ansonih Sama Wrote: I don't I will watch the show. I don't consider a lot of stuff funny. If you can make me laugh, then you have my respect... That's how sad my life is... haha

Did you just earn your own respect?
(Sep. 10, 2012  11:43 PM)Ansonih Sama Wrote: I don't I will watch the show. I don't consider a lot of stuff funny. If you can make me laugh, then you have my respect... That's how sad my life is... haha

(Sep. 10, 2012  11:44 PM)Akio314 Wrote:

Did you just earn your own respect?
Lolz, I really exaggerate on how bad my life is. Its really not that bad. And I already had respect for myself since I'm a Black Belt.

But we should really get back on topic.

okay so I went to my Target today and bought the two Starter decks there so that my sister and I could play the game. And right of the bat she immediately hates the game because it's too complicated. But I love the fact that they're reviving duel masters and it makes me nostalgic