The Duel Masters / Kaijudo Thread: Magic had a baby and it's totally *awesome*

So the revamp bus is rolling for real? (As in: How high can I allow my hopes to get?)
Hopes for the franchise to return in the west? 100% going to happen. You don't start paying voice actors, and animation studios if you don't plan on going forward with the project. Nor would a toy company launch a new show without the toys (in this case cards) that the series advertises.
I'm talking about how good it will be. I'd just as soon have no revamp than a bad one.
I'm not from the future, but the people involved will certainly make this a better show than Victory ...
Good enough for me, then. (That bar wasn't set very high, though.) The American season 2, I remember something being called PLOOPS. I think it may have been funny, but it's been so long that I don't remember. That had nothing to do with the Japanese franchise, did it?
It's a sequel to the first Japanese season. I've actually never seen Duel Masters 1.5 (what this US exclusive season was called).
And now we finally have a true series description from Hasbro's Studios:

Quote:52 x 22 mins

KAIJUDO: RISE OF THE DUEL MASTERS is an animated action-adventure fantasy series that tells the story of RAIDEN (RAY) PIERCE-OKAMOTO, a talented 14 year-old creature tamer, ‘whisperer’ and duelist who along with his friends Allie and Gabe, battle the evil forces that are appearing in our world who have come through the Veil, to wreak havoc . In the world of Duel Masters, other-worldly creatures, “kaiju” co-existed with mankind for thousands of years. All was peaceful for centuries, but now The Veil has begun to tear, and creatures are coming to Earth with frightening regularity. Mankind’s hope rests with those brave few who can tame the creatures…The Duel Masters!
For better or for worse, it seems this series will not be in continuity with the previous Shobu Kirifuda series. The description reminds me of a mix of Chaotic, Digimon, Mix Master, and a bunch of other things. Let's see if Hasbro can make this work.[/quote]

It seems this series will not be in continuity with everything else, and may not be a direct "Here I'm Playing a Children's Card Game" commercial like the other ones are.
Via Hasbro's Investor's Day, we now have a logo:

[Image: J6gQ4.png]

Interestingly, it seems to have dropped "Rise of the Duel Masters".

From the comments by Hasbro, it seems any toys, or trading cards are not on plan for 2012, as no merch for the series is expected to be a big draw.
HUGE news from Toy Fair in New York! Hasbro is now pegging Kaijudo as an "evolution of Duel Masters". The DM branding has been dropped, but it's clear this is a subseries in the franchise. Hasbro plans on launching the Kaijudo TCG into hobby shop retailers during the first half of this year before expanding out to all retailers later this year. The TCG will be handled by Wizards.

The slides:

[Image: Ir3Ep.jpg]
[Image: RbZvA.png]
[Image: VU3HR.png]

Hasbro also showed a brief clip of the show, but I'm unable to get my hands on that.

EDIT: Huge news. Official Site launched, teaser trailer released:

The series premieres this summer on The Hub.
Oh gods, they're gonna use a completely new card back, aren't they?

There go my plans of using my old Bolshack Dragon card... Crying
From the front of the cards these new ones look almost identical to the old English Duel Masters sets. But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a "Duel Masters" card back.
It would be such a shame too; for my meager budget at the time, I have quite the collection.

Found one of my old Duel Masters decklists from way back when. Back to square one, I guess.

---------------------------

LIGHT / DARKNESS CONTROL (a.k.a. "Obsidian Thunder")

Light Creatures = 11

4 = La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
4 = Reso Pacos, Clear Sky Guardian
2 = Senatine Jade Tree
1 = Urth, Purifying Elemental

Light Evolution Creatures = 3

1 = Ladia Bale, the Inspirational
2 = Larba Geer, the Immaculate

Light Spells = 6

2 = Diamond Cutter
2 = Holy Awe
2 = Logic Cube

Darkness Creatures = 11

2 = Bloody Squito
1 = Deathliger, Lion of Chaos
4 = Gregorian Worm
4 = Horrid Worm

Darkness Evolution Creatures = 3

2 = Chaos Worm
1 = Ultracide Worm

Darkness Spells = 6

2 = Dark Reversal
2 = Death Smoke
2 = Terror Pit

---------------------------

I also have my decklist for my old Fire/Water deck (the one with the Bolshack Dragon), but I'd rather not clutter up the thread with an insanely long post. I'll post it later if anyone's interested though.
[Image: 3yifd.jpg]

It seems Hasbro has dropped the mana token that's on the bottom of the DM cards, but other than that, and a change of rarity guide (see the five stars). The rest of the card looks like an updated DM style, so gameplay will likely remain unchanged. But this is going to upset some people:

[Image: ocYKm.jpg]

New card backs.
GOSHDARNIT, HASBRO!!! Argh! There go my plans of world domination...

Again, back to square one.

Compared to the old card backs, the new one seems... kinda bland.
Duel Masters Victory V will premiere next week in Japan.

They're continuing onwards with more upressed PS2 CGI.
its like theyre making a new franchise instead of making a reboot....or is it just me?
Kaijudo is a term that directly refers to Duel Masters. The show's title is "Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters". The card game appears to play exactly like Duel Masters. They're changing stuff up, but it seems more like a reboot under a different name than making a new franchise.

They released a new extended cut of the trailer:

The website has been update a bunch and showcased card descriptions:

[Image: news_newsTerrasaur_big.jpg]

Looks like Duel Masters. Seems cost has been changed to level. Heck, Tornado Flame is reusing card art from DM, lol.
Duel Masters Victory V:

I guess Shobu's brother stopped hating Duel Masters.

Also, it still looks like the PS2 game upscaled and with anti-aliasing added, lol.

Kaijudo premieres tomorrow in a special event on The Hub!
Saw the first episode. Considerably better than most first episodes in these kind of shows.
Eh, I really liked Duel Masters as a kid. This does not overly impress me though. This new main character's design bothers me for some reason...the original main character was better IMO
while right now im investing in Cardfight Vanguard, I am planning on picking up a bit of kaijudo cards, while I overall hated the duel masters dub(felt like the show was a ripoff of yugioh) I found the card game to be quite immersive and easy to pick up
Technically, ALL TCGs are a ripoff of MTG. I mean, Magic WAS the first popular TCG. It just happened to be that YGO was spawned from a manga and anime.
(Jun. 15, 2012  6:35 PM)Temporal Wrote: Technically, ALL TCGs are a ripoff of MTG. I mean, Magic WAS the first popular TCG. It just happened to be that YGO was spawned from a manga and anime.

i didnt feel like the game was trying to be like yugioh (though now i can see how similer and superior it is to MTG) I was meaning the dub was trying to mimic the yugioh dub
(Jun. 15, 2012  6:35 PM)Temporal Wrote: Technically, ALL TCGs are a ripoff of MTG. I mean, Magic WAS the first popular TCG. It just happened to be that YGO was spawned from a manga and anime.

In the case of Duel Masters, and Kaijudo they're direct descendent's of Magic. Wizards of the Coast designed the games, and they share some characteristics.