The Duel Masters / Kaijudo Thread: Magic had a baby and it's totally *awesome*

[Image: 08Jrq.png]

Duel Masters is a media franchise based upon Wizards of the Coast's Magic The Gathering trading card game initially launched in Japan in 1999 (by Takara). From there on the series exploded in popularity, being the inspiration for countless manga productions, shows, games, and movies. To this day, it is the most popular trading card game series in Japan.

Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast introduced the card game, and first anime series in 2003. The franchise proved a modest success for Hasbro, as they commissioned the production of an American-only second season anime series. Despite this success, the US trading card game was officially abandoned in 2006 after 12 sets, and after the third season of the anime series was cancelled.

However, this year Wizards of the Coast will evolve the Duel Masters brand with Kaijudo. Kaijudo is a new brand built on Duel Masters hitting hobby stores, and The Hub this year.

Use this thread to discuss the trading card game, or the variety of media tie-ins.
Duel Masters ehhh?I never liked it for a few reasons
1.I was 6-7 when they came out and my eyes were set on Pokemon(thats why I didn't like the original Beyblade).
2.Thought Yu-Gi-Oh! out classed them
3.The show sucked IMO so I didn't play with the cards.
4.They seemed complicated.

But I might play with them if they do re-release them,as a past time but idk yet.¿?
Actually, the game's amazingly easy to play. Despite being derived from the somewhat intimidating Magic, it is really friendly to new players.

I imagine the set Hasbro launches with the new series will probably be a refreshed take on the original game. While it would be easier to just bring over the Japanese cards (the latest TCG set in Japan was released this month), I suspect they'll modify them a bit or create their own outright.
I just thought it was confusing because they did have ATK and DEF points and I was little so,yeah but I'll probley play the new ones
Grin no way! one of my favorite TCG is coming back? awesomeness. I seriously loved this shown when I was little,but I was more into yugioh,beyblade and pokemon so I never bought much of the cards,but the anime I did watch. If I remember right my favorite card was death lion(name idk) or the dragon one Uncertain
but so now we have yugioh,card fight vanguard and now duel masters this is going to hurt my wallet....
It's ok but pokemon outclassed it! Really but i would rate 5/6 out of 10.
Omggg one of my favorite shows coming back?! Thank you To for the information hope you find more!
I had a few things from this, I had some weird square cards with stickers on and this big, dragon, thing that had a flaming claw toy, I won it from a cereal box compitition and got it years later, when I couldn't remember what it was.
MtG is easy to play. D:

Isn't everything tcg based on MtG? Wink
Get in, Duel masters is back! BTW, can I use my old cards?
I have a card worth $75. Pretty cool. I have some cards, I'm interested!
Honestly, it seems like an alternate yugioh game or something.
I used to play this when I was younger. I had a really good deck too. Joyful_3 The funny thing is, I only purchased one deck! I traded off the carp cards for good ones. I still have a few of my cards too. not very many though...

I can't wait for this series to come back. I used to like it when I was younger. I remember when I used to watch the show, my mom would make me turn the channel because she thought it was too much like Yu-Gi-Oh. The funny thing is, she never knew what either series was about! XD But she did let me play the TCG though. That was enough for me. Good thing my mom doesn't care what I watch nowadays.

Why is it that in America, people act as if Trading Card Games are demonic creations of the Devil? This is a problem I have with many people...

I can't wait for this series to come back. It was easiest, but still the best TCG ever! It was even simpler than Pokemon! I think I might celebrate the return of Duel Masters by seeing if my Library has the Manga series. XD

(Mar. 30, 2011  10:51 PM)â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡ Wrote: Honestly, it seems like an alternate yugioh game or something.
I'm pretty sure this came out before Yu-Gi-Oh did...
(Mar. 30, 2011  10:51 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2011  10:51 PM)â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡â–¡ Wrote: Honestly, it seems like an alternate yugioh game or something.

I'm pretty sure you're sadly mistaken. Yu-Gi-Oh came first.
(Mar. 30, 2011  11:36 PM)Vongola-Hibari Wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! is indeed older than Duel Masters. But the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game people actually care about is younger than Duel Masters.
(Mar. 30, 2011  11:44 PM)To Wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! is indeed older than Duel Masters. But the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game people actually care about is younger than Duel Masters.

Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't start as a stradegy based card game.It started as Yugi with the millineum puzzle that changed him to Yami and would play shadow games with "evil" people and kill them some times he used Duel Monster cards.<--Offtopic

Well I'm gonna play this when it comes out to see what its like since I didn't play the old one.
I forgot that one of the reasons this show wasn't as popular in America was because of the fact the Animation was kinda outdated by the time the Dub premiered.

>Duel Masters is returning.

GOD YES THAT KOJI DECK I JUST GOT FOR A BUCK ISN'T USELESS!

* fragbait goes to dig out his old cards.
EDIT:
* fragbait didn't know that the "/me" command had any effect on this forum >.>
(Mar. 30, 2011  11:49 PM)Idk Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2011  11:44 PM)To Wrote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't start as a stradegy based card game.It started as Yugi with the millineum puzzle that changed him to Yami and would play shadow games with "evil" people and kill them some times he used Duel Monster cards.

Yes, I'm very well aware of that. But my point is that the Duel Masters TCG actually predates the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster TCG, and anime by Konami. However, it is indeed younger than the failed Bandai TCG, Toei anime series, and manga series. Though, Yu-Gi-Oh! was only like 6 months old before it decided to become card game central.

(Mar. 31, 2011  12:10 AM)Bey-Heart Wrote: I forgot that one of the reasons this show wasn't as popular in America was because of the fact the Animation was kinda outdated by the time the Dub premiered.

The anime was like a year or two old by the time it was dubbed. You just picked out a poor promo image that's likely been taken out of the actual show.
[Image: UepzK.jpg]

New Duel Masters anime series - Duel Masters Victory announced for broadcast on TV Tokyo this Saturday at 8:30PM.

We don't know if Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters has any relation to this series. Though it does appear that Victory will be the first Duel Masters anime series to not star Shobu Kirifuda.

Edit: I should mention that while Duel Masters has a live action variety show in Japan, the image spliced with Victory is from a Yoyo J-Drama based on some Bandai Yoyos (Blazing Teens much?).
Brock is in this series?
(Apr. 01, 2011  4:41 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Brock is in this series?

Gah, now I can't unsee Brock...
(Mar. 31, 2011  8:41 PM)To Wrote: The anime was like a year or two old by the time it was dubbed. You just picked out a poor promo image that's likely been taken out of the actual show.
Actually I just picked the first picture that showed up on Google.

That new character is kinda weird looking. It looks like a cross between Gingka Hagane, and Lan Hikari. (From Megaman: NT Warrior) The hair reminds me of Gingka, and the vest and orange shirt reminds me of Lan Hikari.

I kinda liked the old character a lot better. But considering the fact that Japan has had the same main character for like 12 years now, I can understand why he was replaced.
I swear the dub of duel masters was like an abridged series what with the 4ht wall breaking and corny jokes.....this makes me wonder how would the abridged series of duel masters be.....serious?
Hah. I wonder if this will be using the original main character, or the new main character that's used in the Japanese version. For all we know, this could just be a Dub of the current series in Japan.

I just found some of my old Duel Masters cards a few days ago. They were strapped together in a rubber band, so they aren't in mint condition. I might post some pictures soon, though.