State of the WBO

Hmph,hmph,I want to dig in to this discussion,so,I think this rule should be inforced.Beyblade is just a game and there is no need to get serious and angry with other people,just let it be.Tired
(Sep. 05, 2011  11:59 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2011  10:41 PM)Bluezee Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2011  10:33 PM)Temporal Wrote: But we also must try to educate the newbies ourselves. Of course, I'm going to rant. If another incident occurs when something easily searchable is overlooked, and in the wrong place at that, I will say so. If I am called a douche for it, so be it, I'm a douche to that person. I care not for your impression of me, I'm here to have fun. Now that I think of it, isn't that Bluezee's argument?

That is exactly it.

The post you're quoting actually indicates "mini-modding" behavior, if I'm not mistaken. Which is something you indicated not approving of. Actually, it's mini-modding at best - at worst, ranting at people for making simple mistakes is outright unnecessary and offensive posting for a reason that is not your responsibility.

Honestly, it's not hard to respond to things in an intelligent and contributory, or even "disciplinary" method, without coming off like you've got the better part of a railspike lodged in your colon. I've been here less than a full month, but I've read through nearly every thread in the Beyblading sections almost to their entirety, observed everyone's posting habits, and it's easy for me to see who is and is not guilty of responding in particularly unnecessary, and offensive, manners.

To post in an intelligent format, asserting that you know what you're talking about, without coming off as some punk teenager with asperger's syndrome and a vendetta about it, should be the primary objective of everyone on this board, especially people aiming for the "Advanced Member" status. I don't care how knowledgable someone is, if they come off like a spoiled child with absolutely no sense of respect or tolerance, they may as well be slamming their face into their keyboard for all the value they have.
There is a difference between mini-modding and saying "You know that's on Bey Wiki, right?" and posting a link. I said that if someone calls me a douche for not answering an easily searchable question, so be it.
(Sep. 06, 2011  12:08 AM)Temporal Wrote: There is a difference between mini-modding and saying "You know that's on Bey Wiki, right?" and posting a link. I said that if someone calls me a douche for not answering an easily searchable question, so be it.
You missed Hazel's point entirely.
(Sep. 06, 2011  12:08 AM)Temporal Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2011  11:59 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Sep. 05, 2011  10:41 PM)Bluezee Wrote: That is exactly it.

The post you're quoting actually indicates "mini-modding" behavior, if I'm not mistaken. Which is something you indicated not approving of. Actually, it's mini-modding at best - at worst, ranting at people for making simple mistakes is outright unnecessary and offensive posting for a reason that is not your responsibility.

Honestly, it's not hard to respond to things in an intelligent and contributory, or even "disciplinary" method, without coming off like you've got the better part of a railspike lodged in your colon. I've been here less than a full month, but I've read through nearly every thread in the Beyblading sections almost to their entirety, observed everyone's posting habits, and it's easy for me to see who is and is not guilty of responding in particularly unnecessary, and offensive, manners.

To post in an intelligent format, asserting that you know what you're talking about, without coming off as some punk teenager with asperger's syndrome and a vendetta about it, should be the primary objective of everyone on this board, especially people aiming for the "Advanced Member" status. I don't care how knowledgable someone is, if they come off like a spoiled child with absolutely no sense of respect or tolerance, they may as well be slamming their face into their keyboard for all the value they have.
There is a difference between mini-modding and saying "You know that's on Bey Wiki, right?" and posting a link. I said that if someone calls me a douche for not answering an easily searchable question, so be it.

The mannerism you utilize when making that comment is what is important, not exactly the contents of the comment itself. Moreover, you used the word "rant".

If you're "ranting" at anyone on this board about anything, it should be for a serious reason, not some petty oversight. But, in general, "ranting" is behavior that should be discouraged in pretty much any kind of "professional" social environment - much akin to the one that I assume we strive to keep set up around here.

Not caring about how people think of you is a cool, hip, teenage thing to do, and if you're looking to come off as immature, more power to you. However, if you're seeking to keep the forums healthy, clean, and functioning as a place for new bladers to come and learn, acting like the worse end of a donkey isn't going to provide that environment.

Devil may care is for comic book villains, not real people.
Maybe "rant" is the wrong word. To be honest, I agree. One shouldn't intentionally try to be someone people hate. Maybe I did miss your point. My fault in entirety. I thought you were referring to mini-modding as pointing things out that normally an admin/mod would. Yes, in the sense of the word, ranting is pretty detrimental to the idea of a community, but it happens. We should try to limit it, but you shouldn't let oversights fly, so explain calmly. But that's not really on topic, is it?
(Sep. 06, 2011  1:08 AM)Temporal Wrote: Maybe "rant" is the wrong word. To be honest, I agree. One shouldn't intentionally try to be someone people hate. Maybe I did miss your point. My fault in entirety. I thought you were referring to mini-modding as pointing things out that normally an admin/mod would. Yes, in the sense of the word, ranting is pretty detrimental to the idea of a community, but it happens. We should try to limit it, but you shouldn't let oversights fly, so explain calmly. But that's not really on topic, is it?

It seems to be within the perceivable range of on topic for the thread's purpose at hand.

Overall, I see a lot of posts in this thread with people actually trying to defend being outright offensive, elitist, or possibly even overtly hateful, in their posting methods.

I'm sorry to say this, guys, but no reason or pretty paragraph you can put together will possibly justify that kind of behavior. I don't care if your home situation is rough, if you're having a hard time at school, if you're "just a beast", or if you're playing cool and being all "this is how I am, deal with it or don't read my posts". You have no logical reason to validate posting in such a manner, especially on a board so thoroughly populated by younger members.

It is up to the veterans of this hobby, and this board, to sustain a healthy, friendly, polite, and eloquent posting environment. Snapping at people, insulting people's intelligence, and letting your inherent superiority complexes run rampant is unjustifiable. This is a community for a spinning top game for children, not junior highschool.

Keep in mind that this post is not directed at any specific members, but the ones it applies to will probably be aware of it. I hope they are, at least, for the betterment of this board, community, and hobby.

That is what should and likely will be my final sentiment on the matter. There is no arguing fact.
Agreed. While it is okay to sometimes take matters into one's own hands in telling a new member what they need to look at, being plain mean isn't okay. There really isn't anything anyone can say to that, because it is about as black and white as it gets. You're wrong or you're right. And those who put down others or are elitist as they say are plain wrong. Simple as that.
I thank Rai for this thread! Grin

For me, it seems like members on this board are scared to share their opinion because they think that the advanced members will probably think that their combo or whatever it useless. Well, I'm not very intelligent when it comes to making combos.

Also I'd like to point out that when new members arrive here and you can obviously tell that they haven't read the rules, some members (not metioning any names...) tend to tell them in an aggressive way that they have to read the rules blah blah blah. There's no need to tell them that. And the members that say that to the newbies, their posts on the forums aren't really good. I didn't read the rules when I first arrived here, and obviously I suffered for doing that. I know half of the users on this board haven't read the rules, it is quite clear. My opinion though.

I don't like the way elite members or advanced members (whatever you call them) treat lower classed members. Like what Temporal mentioned, it is like "you're wrong, and I'm right". I've realised that new members have come and left because of their slight mistakes.0
I sometimes feel like my thoughts on combos might be turned down like you mentioned KidTala, but I try to learn from what they say. Obviously, the saying Learn from Your mistakes has a meaning. In this case, if the thought is turned down or something, I try to learn from what the person says, and try to improve on it, not be scared to ever do it again.
New members feel a bit intimidated by this. And yes, Temporal is right, sometimes there's a fact of people (not saying veterans cuz its not just them) who always do go
Member Wrote:You're wrong, this is why, I'm right
This makes the new members feel inferior
To an extent. Try saying something like:
Thread: Storm Gemios 145B
Ideal Post:
"Yo, this isn't very good. You see, all of the parts are outclassed, and B just stinks. Storm is an attack part, regardless of what Hasbro says, Gemios is useless, and 145B is a bad combination. Not much balance, you see? Now, if you want better combos, go to Build Me a Combo! (Insert Link Here), or the Competitive MFB Thread (Link.) If you need any help, just PM me. This is kinda cluttering up the forum, so I'll report it for closing."
Well on the whole acting superior thing, I'm gonna try to act better on the forums just in general, by having a more positive attitude! Plus, I'm sure it'd be better for IRL as well. It is true that they are intimidated by them, I can certainly say I was my first day. It was between Kai-V and McFrown, something about the Beypointer, and she said that there's no use for them. I basically mouthed off to her, and got mad at her, and here I am with a 30% warning.
See the problem with new members is like this:
You have a younger sibling, and then you have the teen/young adult.
Obviously, we all know how that goes, and I feel as if we are all acting like the teen/young adults! Hence why I'm changing my attitude.

Plus the I'M GONNA DO AN INTERNET! face smiles so I need to be nicer or something XD
Yeah, me too. Sometimes I say things that people think a different way of it. I try to be nice at times but people think different of my posts.
Is there so much offense in being told that you are simply wrong though ? For instance, recently two people answered a question with a wrong answer, and in order to correct them for whoever might view the topic, I wrote : "You are wrong", and apparently that was really badly taken.

I think there are indeed cases where people are wrong, and that just has to be taken, not in an offensive way.
TBH, if you can't handle being told wrong you really need to just suck it up.
If you think you're perfect, you're not, not even you Kai-V.
It really comes down to who you are TBH - can you handle being told that you are wrong? For some people, they just simply can't do that, and then you have the others who can. There's really no helping that problem I guess, since it's in a person's personal morals, I guess you could say.
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:22 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Is there so much offense in being told that you are simply wrong though ? For instance, recently two people answered a question with a wrong answer, and in order to correct them for whoever might view the topic, I wrote : "You are wrong", and apparently that was really badly taken.

I think there are indeed cases where people are wrong, and that just has to be taken, not in an offensive way.

It needs to be stated in a non-offensive way, first and foremost. Doesn't matter how wrong the person is, if they come here looking for critique, assistance, or to learn from us, and any single member on this board snaps at them in that moment, we just ruined the experience for that user.

Such behavior should not be tolerated to any extent, from any user.
They're probably so used to getting told they are wrong in such a polite form. If they get offended, they get offended. Simple. It shouldn't bother anyone because they're expected to get spoon fed by members if you understand what I mean.
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:32 AM)KidTala Wrote: They're probably so used to getting told they are wrong in such a polite form. If they get offended, they get offended. Simple. It shouldn't bother anyone because they're expected to get spoon fed by members if you understand what I mean.

Spoon feeding is not in any way what is being discussed, here. It's quite easy to be clear, concise, and polite, without spoon feeding, when educating another person.

It's a matter of users simply being mature enough to squelch their first instinct to make a fuss, and opting instead to post in a calm, level-headed manner.
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:37 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:32 AM)KidTala Wrote: They're probably so used to getting told they are wrong in such a polite form. If they get offended, they get offended. Simple. It shouldn't bother anyone because they're expected to get spoon fed by members if you understand what I mean.

Spoon feeding is not in any way what is being discussed, here. It's quite easy to be clear, concise, and polite, without spoon feeding, when educating another person.

It's a matter of users simply being mature enough to squelch their first instinct to make a fuss, and opting instead to post in a calm, level-headed manner.

Yes I see where you're coming from. My mistake.

But what I mean is when a user, like Kai-V, explains to another user what they said was wrong, they get offended because someone like Kai-V explains to them in a way that is isn't negative but seems like it is rude or sarcastic.

Like what I mentioned Kai-V doesn't mean to say what she said in a way that the user she is replying to meant. Members say things to other users that they take offensive.
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:53 AM)KidTala Wrote:
(Sep. 06, 2011  4:37 AM)Hazel Wrote:

Yes I see where you're coming from. My mistake.

But what I mean is when a user, like Kai-V, explains to another user what they said was wrong, they get offended because someone like Kai-V explains to them in a way that is isn't negative but seems like it is rude or sarcastic.

Like what I mentioned Kai-V doesn't mean to say what she said in a way that the user she is replying to meant. Members say things to other users that they take offensive.

In these cases, where minor sarcasm or very slight irritation is misinterpreted by the poster that is incorrect, it is largely on them. However, if they take it badly enough, one should still be a big enough person to feel compelled to try to play it down.

We must remember that the young members joining now are the Beyblading generation of tomorrow. Had we not found a comfortable home here on the WBO, our blading lives may have been cut short, fizzled out, or at least been less enjoyable - and thus we must, as a community, strive to further this hobby, by fostering a friendly community for bladers to continue joining.

All I am advocating is a higher level of tolerance from people - the number of times I see people snap on new members is far higher than favorable. Just because we have a massive membership tally doesn't mean it's a healthy one.

Absolutely any sign of clique mentality or elitist tendencies toward new, or uninformed members, should be immediately nipped in the bud.
"You are wrong".

What is up with that ... There is no sarcasm, nothing, I am just stating a fact. Obviously, there is a difference between being told that you are wrong about something as experimental as customizations, and about how many versions of Mercury Anubius exist, because in the latter case you are either right or wrong, the subject of discussion is a fact.

And the people involved in that were not new kids on the site.
(Sep. 06, 2011  5:07 AM)Kai-V Wrote: "You are wrong".

What is up with that ... There is no sarcasm, nothing, I am just stating a fact. Obviously, there is a difference between being told that you are wrong about something as experimental as customizations, and about how many versions of Mercury Anubius exist, because in the latter case you are either right or wrong, the subject of discussion is a fact.

And the people involved in that were not new kids on the site.

I wasn't aware we were discussing a specific instance, honestly. I was speaking more in general - my apologies. Obviously when it's a blatant fact, simply stating it is enough. However, we do have some members that take it several steps further by taking demeaning, insulting, and ridiculing attitudes while stating the fact, which should be considered entirely unacceptable.
I was referring to a case where telling someone that they are wrong, as was discussed a few posts ago, could, or should be accepted. Of course there is always a way to say it, but I do not think this nuance was mentioned during the conversation, since the consensus seemed to be that you could not tell someone that they were wrong anymore.
(Sep. 06, 2011  5:14 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I was referring to a case where telling someone that they are wrong, as was discussed a few posts ago, could, or should be accepted. Of course there is always a way to say it, but I do not think this nuance was mentioned during the conversation, since the consensus seemed to be that you could not tell someone that they were wrong anymore.

I hadn't really noticed that consensus, or at least if it came from my side of things, it was most certainly not the intention. Obviously providing correct information should be the priority when users are incorrect.
to be honest, I find alot of people on here are really not very nice, I try to be as kind as I can, but I have seen so many posts making fun of people, and most of them are towards newer people. Now I'm not a moderator, or even an advanced forum person, i'm an average member, but I find this disgusting. Ok sometimes New people do wrong stuff. But people thinking they are better than others makes me sick to my stoumach. People on the WBO should not judge other members, just by how new to the site they are.

alot of people are going to disagree with this, but as my time as a member, I find these cases disappointing and it taints the WBO when people are mean to each other. The whole point of this is meant to be a happy community, but recently I have seen alot of stuff to taint the Happy part, like spammers, mocking noobs because they don't understand.

if you want you can disagree with me, but i think that generally we should all be equal, and this would then stop arguments, and people getting big heads. (not naming names)
(Sep. 05, 2011  1:14 PM)Dan Wrote: I notice whenever I give my opinion to others in the customizations forum they decide to not explain their opinion at all when I am interested in what they have to say. Really boring just because I have some italics on my name no one decides to share their own ideas as if what I've said is set in stone or something when what I'm usually interested in is others opinions and thoughts. :V

/tangent lol

I know that i have not posted against your opinion once or twice but that is due to the fact that if disagree there is always someone else who gets involved stating that you (or someone of higher authority) is right. This doesn't really happen to me much anymore but there is a lot of people who are less known on the boards who make great points and are dismissed because an advanced member said otherwise.