Should Sniping/Gattyaki be part of the game? – WBO Staff wants your feedback!

(Oct. 04, 2020  9:38 PM)Shindog Wrote: Another thing to consider:

This is how the rulebook currently reads:

“A round begins with the call of “3–2–1 Go Shoot!”

Both bladers must simultaneously launch their Beyblades as the word “shoot” is called.”

IF we take it at face value, “must simultaneous....” and a player gets sniped, is it not more than likely that one person launched too early and/or the other launched too late?
So given a snipe occurrs, what should the judge generally rule given our current rules?

I... can't say for certain. As it stands, it sounds like there's a contradiction in the rules, namely between the allowance of Gattyaki (Which inherently requires a delayed launch) and the rule you just mentioned. I suppose as it stands, the ruling would be based on the judge's discretion.
(Oct. 04, 2020  6:19 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: I’m going to place you on the it should be banned side that cool?
Realistically I'm on a split side, a foot in both doors if you will. I don't like it at all, but I don't see a good way around it yet that's fair for everyone.
(Oct. 04, 2020  9:46 PM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Oct. 04, 2020  9:38 PM)Shindog Wrote: Another thing to consider:

This is how the rulebook currently reads:

Both bladers must simultaneously launch their Beyblades as the word “shoot” is called.”

IF we take it at face value, “must simultaneous....” and a player gets sniped, is it not more than likely that one person launched too early and/or the other launched too late?
So given a snipe occurrs, what should the judge generally rule given our current rules?

I... can't say for certain. As it stands, it sounds like there's a contradiction in the rules, namely between the allowance of Gattyaki (Which inherently requires a delayed launch) and the rule you just mentioned. I suppose as it stands, the ruling would be based on the judge's discretion.
My personal answer is to default to calling relaunch.  We don’t really have a specific penalty in place for launching too early or too late anyway.  Personally, if I am judging, unless I can be sure both launches were good beyond a doubt (probably means multiple angel slow motion recording) I feel like I need to call reshoot, regardless of whose “fault” it was.
(Oct. 04, 2020  9:55 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(Oct. 04, 2020  6:19 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: I’m going to place you on the it should be banned side that cool?
Realistically I'm on a split side, a foot in both doors if you will. I don't like it at all, but I don't see a good way around it yet that's fair for everyone.

Should I just not include you in the poll (that’s what I’m doing for people on the fence)
(Oct. 04, 2020  10:02 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Oct. 04, 2020  9:55 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: Realistically I'm on a split side, a foot in both doors if you will. I don't like it at all, but I don't see a good way around it yet that's fair for everyone.

Should I just not include you in the poll (that’s what I’m doing for people on the fence)

Probably a good idea.
I don’t believe Gattyaki is a good idea. Heavy combos with a sharp driver(blow?) could cause damage to an opponent’s layer, and I don’t enjoy doing visible damage to Beyblades other than Wonder Valtryek. Another point is that incompetent judges like me would NEVER be able to see the difference between Gattyaki and a sliding shoot or some other badly timed angled launch. 6Jupiter5, please add me to the “against Gattyaki” list.
6Jupiter5 Add me against!
I'm straight up calling it a scummy practice if you're INTENTIONALLY DOING IT.

Launching intentionally later than your opponent (which is against the rules) to try to win an unfavourable match-up for me seems extremely unsportsmanship.

There's a difference between wanting to win and doing everything you possibly can, which includes bending the rules in your favour to do so.

Let's look at the rulebook:

One and done. It may be difficult to monitor, but it won't be that hard to spot if you're aware that XX combo has no chance against XXX combo, and the only conceivable way to win is via cheating.
Very important rule to me is the famous:
Quote:[font="Source Sans Pro", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Both bladers must simultaneously launch their Beyblades as the word “shoot” is called.”[/font]

Players should try their best to respect this simple rule. Intentionally launching on top can be damaging (Think of the Solomon Chip!). I'm all in for shooting at angles, sliding shoots, stalling in the middle and the likes, but messing with "Gattyaki" looks as bad to me as cheating.
6Jupiter5 That's why I said for now. Please move me to the no side.
7 - for (me, OnlyCanBeOne, AirKingNeo, kai edits, BuilderRob, Vtryuga, Lugiamaster0249)

18 - against (BreakerDs, g2_, BladerGem, CitrusNinja3, Needforspeed, Flame-Byxis, #Fafnir, Bladerbuilder, DeltaZakuro, Cat-Daddy, Valtryek Aoi, GeneriCringe, SunBlader98, ZeroYiggs, Mikuri, eigerblader, MagikHorse, FireKingArd, andowantsfood)

If I missed anybody or placed them on the wrong side do tell me I don’t want anybosy’s voice to be missed

(Oct. 05, 2020  2:57 AM)Valtryek Aoi Wrote: 6Jupiter5 That's why I said for now. Please move me to the no side.

Thanks for letting me know

Also you don’t have to mention me I subscribed to the thread. I’ll get your vote
Well I'll let you guys know what i think the implications of banning this shoot are when almost no one does it.

It will bring unnecessary attention to this rule and then when a person is legitimately trying a sliding shoot then a person can somehow claim that the person is using a snipeshot. 

Judges will then have to judge intent of the players which again should not be done as it can lead to arguments which no one wants. 

If there is a way to solve this then I have no problem in banning it
(Oct. 05, 2020  6:05 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: Well I'll let you guys know what i think the implications of banning this shoot are when almost no one does it.

It will bring unnecessary attention to this rule and then when a person is legitimately trying a sliding shoot then a person can somehow claim that the person is using a snipeshot. 

Judges will then have to judge intent of the players which again should not be done as it can lead to arguments which no one wants. 

If you look at how the OP ties gattyaki into the PPA you will see that we are not going to ban the “sniping launch“.  The proposed way to deal with it is to require both beys to hit the stadium floor first before a battle would start. The intent wouldn’t matter then.  You can launch as you like as long as you don’t break the normal launching rules.  You are correct in that intent is not really something we can ban.  

Items #7 and #8 in the OP in particular deals with the “surface” PPA vs “space” PPA
(Oct. 05, 2020  7:08 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2020  6:05 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: Well I'll let you guys know what i think the implications of banning this shoot are when almost no one does it.

If you look at how the OP ties gattyaki into the PPA you will see that we are not going to ban the “sniping launch“.  The proposed way to deal with it is to require both beys to hit the stadium floor first before a battle would start. The intent wouldn’t matter then.  You can launch as you like as long as you don’t break the normal launching rules.  You are correct in that intent is not really something we can ban.  

Items #7 and #8 in the OP in particular deals with the “surface” PPA vs “space” PPA
This brings in other challenges such as if the beys collide with each other extremely close to the ground then it does become hard. 

But yes if we do amend the rules to consider the beys in play when they touch the ground it does clarify a lot of problems I have

BTW will this new rule that "beys when touch the ground are considered in play" have any implications on mislaunches? 
I think we will need to revisit some old rules if this rule updation  is made.

One final argument that I can give is that every battle will then become predictable as the better combo almost always wins.

People with financial constraints will find it tough to win tournaments that way though, which is not desirable for the game

This reduces the element of luck but I guess the potential of damage is greater in burst. 

Though can we consider not banning this technique for MFB beys as they are much much more durable ?
I'm voting 'against' gattyaki.

It feels like its not in spirit of the game, where building decks and picking combos for certain matchups should give you the advantage.
Gattyaki is a method people may resort to when they know have no chance of winning, which in my opinion feels scummy.

If I were to compare it to a Trading Card Game, your deck should have enough preparation against other archetypes in the metagame, and if there is an unfavorable matchup, you should have several cards ready in the sideboard / side deck to counter it. If your deck meets an unfavorable matchup and you do not have an answer prepared, your loss is on you. In an extreme example in this TCG comparison, gattyaki is like sucker punching your opponent to knock him out and make you win before even playing against his deck. Sure, it takes skill and training to do, and it technically gives anyone a chance to win even against the best player, but that skill is something I consider not part of the game at all.

The WBBA rule that says the battle starts once each bey touches the stadium floor is one way of circumventing this. Although there WILL be occasions where midair collisions happen, having a rule set in the first place should discourage the practice from being intentionally done and that is a step in the right direction.
(Oct. 05, 2020  7:59 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: BTW will this new rule that "beys when touch the ground are considered in play" have any implications on mislaunches? 

One final argument that I can give is that every battle will then become predictable as the better combo almost always wins.

People with financial constraints will find it tough to win tournaments that way though, which is not desirable for the game

This reduces the element of luck but I guess the potential of damage is greater in burst. 

Though can we consider not banning this technique for MFB beys as they are much much more durable ?
The short answer to you question regarding updating mislaunches rules is probably yes.  We are still working on that.  Again, I will mentioned that although we are not the WBBA, we can look to them for inspiration as the makers of the game.  The surface being the PPA has been their rule since MFB.  As the OP stated, Gattyaki hasn’t been a part of their game since WBBA has been created.  They seem to handle mislaunches just fine.  

I agree finances is part of the game.  After all, Beyblade is made by a for profit company.  Even the not for profit WBO charges tournament entry fees.  In order to remove financial constraints completely, perhaps a format should be proposed that only 1 specific combo be used by all contestants.  The combo should be provided to all contestants if possible.  The entry fee should be waived if possible.  This would level the playing field as much as possible I suppose.  This would focus on players’ shooting skills. Different people have different levels of financial constraints.  I think it is disingenuous to say having gattyaki will remove financial constraints sufficiently.

(Oct. 05, 2020  5:55 AM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: 7 - yes it should be allowed (me, OnlyCanBeOne, AirKingNeo, kai edits, BuilderRob, Vtryuga, Lugiamaster0249, eigerblade)

16 - no it should be banned (BreakerDs, g2_, BladerGem, CitrusNinja3, Needforspeed, Flame-Byxis, #Fafnir, Bladerbuilder, DeltaZakuro, Cat-Daddy, Valtryek Aoi, GeneriCringe, SunBlader98, ZeroYiggs, Mikuri)

If I missed anybody or placed them on the wrong side do tell me I don’t want anybosy’s voice to be missed

(Oct. 05, 2020  2:57 AM)Valtryek Aoi Wrote: 6Jupiter5 That's why I said for now. Please move me to the no side.

Also you don’t have to mention me I subscribed to the thread. I’ll get your vote
Thank you for helping out!  I believe eigerblade voted for “against?”
(Oct. 05, 2020  4:18 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2020  7:59 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: BTW will this new rule that "beys when touch the ground are considered in play" have any implications on mislaunches? 

The short answer to you question regarding updating mislaunches rules is probably yes.  We are still working on that.  Again, I will mentioned that although we are not the WBBA, we can look to them for inspiration as the makers of the game.  The surface being the PPA has been their rule since MFB.  As the OP stated, Gattyaki hasn’t been a part of their game since WBBA has been created.  They seem to handle mislaunches just fine.  

I agree finances is part of the game.  After all, Beyblade is made by a for profit company.  Even the not for profit WBO charges tournament entry fees.  In order to remove financial constraints completely, perhaps a format should be proposed that only 1 specific combo be used by all contestants.  The combo should be provided to all contestants if possible.  The entry fee should be waived if possible.  This would level the playing field as much as possible I suppose.  This would focus on players’ shooting skills. Different people have different levels of financial constraints.  I think it is disingenuous to say having gattyaki will remove financial constraints sufficiently.

(Oct. 05, 2020  5:55 AM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: 7 - yes it should be allowed (me, OnlyCanBeOne, AirKingNeo, kai edits, BuilderRob, Vtryuga, Lugiamaster0249, eigerblade)

16 - no it should be banned (BreakerDs, g2_, BladerGem, CitrusNinja3, Needforspeed, Flame-Byxis, #Fafnir, Bladerbuilder, DeltaZakuro, Cat-Daddy, Valtryek Aoi, GeneriCringe, SunBlader98, ZeroYiggs, Mikuri)

Thank you for helping out!  I believe eigerblade voted for “it should be banned?”

No problem.

I tend to misplace stuff all the time so if anything’s wrong in the poll do tell me.
Just throwing in my opinion for solidarity, but I agree with Shindog.

I'm not a huge fan of gattiyaki personally, at all. But I do think defaulting to calling a relaunch when a judge feels like one person launched late either intentionally or unintentionally is probably the best way to go.

Otherwise I can't really think of a good rule that can truly prevent gattiyaki from happening.
I’m placing everyone who says that they want it banned, but there isn’t a rule that can force it into the “against” section.
If some bey bounces in the stadium and falls in the other bey, it'd be illegal?
Gattyaki/Sniping can Be a disadvantage:Yep like on Atomic combo's it will just put you at a Disadvantage

Gattyaki/Sniping can be Destructive:Again so My friend launched a Rage Charge' Combo on my SHy and the free spinning part of xceed was damaged

Final Verdict:No it shoud not be part of the game
I just dont like sniping because it just seems so wrong and it can damage stuff like SunBlader98 said. Plus its actually damaged one of my stadiums because the impact was that hard.
(Oct. 05, 2020  10:21 PM)SunBlader98 Wrote: Gattyaki/Sniping can Be a disadvantage:Yep like on Atomic combo's it will just put you at a Disadvantage

Gattyaki/Sniping can be Destructive:Again so My friend launched a Rage Charge' Combo on my SHy and the free spinning part of xceed was damaged

Final Verdict:No it shoud not be part of the game
That’s actually a pretty good point lmao. Honestly, although I’m not really a tournament guy I do think it shouldn’t be a part of the tournament play especially since it was never advertised as being part of this game in the first place.
It seems as if the majority of us want it banned.
....just throwing this out there....have they ever "sniped/gattyaki'd" in the manga or anime?