Should Hosts Compete in their own Tournament?

On the whole, I really have mixed feelings about this, but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

As you all know, I am the self-proclaimed tournament queen, but I'm only good at hosting. When I play, I am above average, but my winning is no where near consistent. Despite this, I always feel guilty when I place in my own events. I'm not certain how parents or other/newer players view this, but I have gotten scolded by parents before for winning. Personally, I feel as though this holds me back, knowing that if I do win, I lose in a sense. Parents who show up frequently will congratulate me, but newer parents frown upon it.

It's also a lot of pressure to assign a fair judge to my battle. Since I know everyone, it's hard to pick out which of my judges will not create a bias. A parent could easily interpret something as rigged based on what I select because I know the rules better than their child. This has happened on several occasions.

Have any other hosts felt this way? How do you players feel?

Some solutions I've thought of would be these:
  • Alternating hosts
  • Free play matches outside of the tournament for hosts that go toward the beyrank

Again, this is just how I've felt. Every community is different.
You be able to participate because you like bladeing just like the rest of us.
One should have to neglect their happiness just because your host.
What to do with prizes when you place is for you to deiced.
To me parents shouldn't frown when the host wins a battle against their child. It just means their child needs to practice more. I practice everyday now, so I can become stronger blader. Trust the judges to be fair and you know when they are fair. The parents should trust you. Alternating host idea is a great idea. Free play is also.
Obviously, this makes sense, but is it worth making others unhappy?
It depends.

If you orgnize an event with wbo members and expert people, then i think you can compete in your own events.

But let's see events i normally organize. Local guys who want to play (age: from kids to 14/15 years old boys, not from wbo or completely competitive either)
In that case, i automatically place 1st, which is quite bad for other people playing at the event.

it really depends on the kind of event you want to organize
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:09 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Obviously, this makes sense, but is it worth making others unhappy?

Strong live, the weak die. Survival of the fittest.
The kid is just going to learn how to lose and be sportsman like.
They will go home and buy more blades and come back for round 2.

Haha this isn't philosophy we shall not debate happiness lol
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:10 AM)Yamislayer Wrote: In that case, i automatically place 1st, which is quite bad for other people playing at the event.
This is what I worry about. I could just spam Basalt TH170WF/230CS in most cases and win (switch when I have to), but lately, I've been picking a harder route. Still, I win most of the time. I feel guilty sometimes.
Hmm. I understand what you mean. But this is what. Its JUST A GAME! But yeh, they care because they want thier children to feel good about themself. Also, I agree with Yamislayer.
Well it IS your tournament after all. But how do I feel about it? Sometimes I feel like its rigged when the hoster place at their own tourney. Thats like being cheated off poker. Sometimes I wish the contant host who wins at like almost every tourney can take a break. But again you hosted the tournament, you can participate. But after all it just depends during official play.
well if someone going to get sad becuase they lost in a tournament they shouldn't be sad every one is not the perfect blader sometimes you win sometimes you loose you just have to take that moment and get back up for another round
also it is alright for the host to participate you just have to be better
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:11 AM)BDaichi Wrote:
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:09 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Obviously, this makes sense, but is it worth making others unhappy?

Strong live, the weak die. Survival of the fittest.
The kid is just going to learn how to lose and be sportsman like.
They will go home and buy more blades and come back for round 2.

Haha this isn't philosophy we shall not debate happiness lol
You would think this would be the case, but during Reality Altering Hades Upheaval, I lost in round three. When kids were crying when they lost in round four, I cheered them up when I told them I lost, too. I've also gotten many earfulls of "older kids should not compete" and to them, I am one less older kid. I think it would make the event appear less bias, more efficient (because I wouldn't have to stop for my matches), and on the whole, more inviting for younger kids.
I personally believe host should be able to play, while you spam Basalt TH170WF/230CS Your also making your opponents better so that after there battle they may be able to try to make a combo in order to beat Basalt TH170WF/230CS. So in this case you shouldn't exactly feel guilty because during time in-between the rounds he/she could've studied how the bey acted or if they knew but they didn't have anything against (combo wise of what they were using atm) it they could just simply make a combo to counter it. Once you beat them next round/next tournament They will do better. As I did when my Basalt 230CS lost to a Scythe Kronos at the NYC tournament. This is what I believe (I got carried away thats why this is sooo long Pinching_eyes_2)
yea going to tournaments with stronger bladers make it so exciting and more Intense as you become better and stronger and give you more knowledge about your opponent that way you can use what you learn in your next battle
I mean, you'd think they'd get better, but some just get discouraged that they lost to an older kid. It's not necessarily how it should be, but how it looks that bothers me. I try to make my tournaments seem as professional and systematic as possible, but is competing really reflecting that?

It's more of a moral discussion, really.
this is very unusaul
why would parents scould someone
there the ones that should be if they care so much about a spinning top that they have to win it
in aus
RustyXD won the MFB (the host) and i won the Plastics ( one of the main judges)
and none of the parents frowned as, everyone wins once
and there all kind of "laid back"

however i dont think it is for the parents to decide
its really the hosts opinion
if u win, its because of your skill, nothing to do with hosting or such
and if a child wins, they win
its for the love of beyblade, if the parents dont like it ... well the parents dont like it then
(this is all My Opinion)

(Sep. 30, 2011  12:25 AM)darkblader12 Wrote: this is very unusaul
why would parents scould someone
there the ones that should be if they care so much about a spinning top that they have to win it
in aus
RustyXD won the MFB (the host) and i won the Plastics ( one of the main judges)
and none of the parents frowned as, everyone wins once
and there all kind of "laid back"

however i dont think it is for the parents to decide
its really the hosts opinion
if u win, its because of your skill, nothing to do with hosting or such
and if a child wins, they win
its for the love of beyblade, if the parents dont like it ... well the parents dont like it then
(this is all My Opinion)
I agreePinching_eyes_2Angry
true but some kids should realise that beyblade is about two people clahing their hopes giving it all they got also it is about fun kids should juts be proud they participate in a tournament nothing else.I remember my first big loss in a battle and was very upset but also realised that I should get better and have fun
Well, simply its what you would believe because the parents would either congratualate you for winning or Frown, and again i'm a kid, I lost to Scythe Kronos , my dad just told me this,"Well you lost this tournament so when we get home you should train and maybe you will win next time!" And guess what? I got better. And what does big kids , little kids matter? I got PyrusOverlord to not want to battle me at all , and he's about 7 years older than me. So again its really YOUR opinion on whether you should play or not.
I have never seen a parent get mad and the host for beating their child in a tournament.
Its kinda like pokemon, you gain EXP each battle, and with that you'll get better. So with them losing they'll gain experience.
yes that is very much true but still why would a parent get mad for their kid loose I battle in front of parents and they never get upset but you have to belive what you belive in
Again, this would make a lot of sense and a majority of the people in this thread are making sense, but I'm talking about the people who don't make sense...

If you look at many other games, you see the hosts don't compete either. Dungeons and Dragons would be a great example. A DM can't compete. If you look at other games like Blackjack, the dealer competes, but they are bound by a set of rules. If that dealer was allowed to deviate from those rules, players would see that as a bias to the house (even though the odds are generally in the house's favour anyway)

I also through this out there because I'm sure many other hosts can agree, but with so much going on around us and so much to be mindful of, it is very hard for us to "give it our all" and win. A majority of the time, I lose when I have a lot on my mind, which happens far too often. It's hard for me to perform this way, which is why I'd much prefer to have some free play ranked matches instead before the tournament (the stresser, in other waods). I don't want to step into a tournament setting where I feel as though I can't give my opponent the best match possible.
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:33 AM)Lexygirl Wrote: I have never seen a parent get mad and the host for beating their child in a tournament.
That's because Ink. is 13. Parents aren't going to get mad at a kid beating their kid at a kids game. They WILL get mad at a 21 year old host who has every bey out beating their kid with Hasbro parts.
Well, this is beyblade not Dungeons and Dragons or Blackjack. Well for now I think you should talk about this with other host Ex.Cye,ikmv,Arupaeo. And with dicussing it with them you'll be bound to get your answer or what your looking for.
yes it does make sensed for people who always play beyblade but dosn't make senced for new comers since they never had a actual big loss
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:41 AM)MetalZoroark21 Wrote: Well, this is beyblade not Dungeons and Dragons or Blackjack. Well for now I think you should talk about this with other host Ex.Cye,ikmv,Arupaeo. And with dicussing it with them you'll be bound to get your answer or what your looking for.
I already know what Cye will say and what IKMV won't say, but I left this up mostly for hosts. It's harder to talk to every host in PMs.