Random Thoughts 5 - READ RULES IN FIRST POST

I'd like to point out three things about this:

1.) It did not happen in America.
2.) It's entirely the mother's fault.
3.) It prompted me ordering chicken nuggets this evening from McDonalds.

She looks a lot better than you'd expect her to on that diet, but her vitamin levels... probably Vitamin K that did her in.
(Jan. 26, 2012  7:27 PM)GaHooleone Wrote:
(Jan. 26, 2012  6:55 PM)SAM10795 Wrote: Calculus is a major problem for me. Especially integration of trignometric functions. Rigid body mechanics makes it even worse. If anyone finds these things easy plz tell me. I desperately need help with it.
Today i found that i understand better sitting at the last bench than at the first bench, contrary to everyone's belief that first seat improves understanding.

Wait what? What grade are you in? I'm doing integration of functions right now, we're doing trig next week after midterms are over. So far though it hasn't been too bad. Rigid body mechanics implies that you are taking physics and implementing calc, am I right?

That whole 'first bench, last bench' could only be tested if a person learned the exact same lesson from the exact same teacher through the exact same method having the exact same thought processes and getting their mind wiped so as to not have any prior knowledge and affect the results of the test.

Education system in India is different. We do not have different options until we are in Grade 11. Till grade 10(in which I study) we are taught all subjects(Physics, Chem, Bio, Math, Language, Literature, etc.). Calculus and Rigid Body mechanics is for grade 11 and I am studying it in a coaching class which will prepare me for this exam
As for the calculus part. I find it tough to derive the moments of inertia and centre of mass of continuous objects with it. And I also find it difficult to find the velocity when we are give displacement(x) as a function of time(t) as in t= 4x² + 5x + 3... I never understand where to start.

About the first bench last bench thing.. I said at the beginning itself that it doesnt apply for 'me'. The whole thing is based on a common belief by students that sitting close to the teacher will keep you from getting disturbed and hence help you concentrate and understand better. But the problem is whenever I sit close to the teacher, I find it tough to concentrate because it is like a foreign land to me(since past 4 years I have been residing on last 4 benches). So 'I' find it tough to concentrate and understand things on the first bench.
happy that random thoughts is back, i've been itching to post some stuff I have on my mind.

I've just been drawing some manga and I realised how simple you can make the drawings, but yet they can be effective still, take naruto for example, really simple drawings but made to look cool.

Also this is brilliant holiday time because my holiday is the week after my birthday on sunday, so I have the entire week to myself with my stuff.

One more thing, I've already started to think about my choices in year 8, as we pick them at the end of year 9 in my school. I'm thinking of Graphics for my manga drawing considering art we only do classical stuff. maybe IT because it'll be good considering I plan on making videos and editing and making websites would come in handy. But i'm dreading next year because it's so much pressure to perform good in year 9.
(Jan. 27, 2012  1:29 AM)To Wrote: Nugget Lady...

Speaking of nuggets... This is quite sad..

You can just feel the disappointment from him, and watch as it flies over their heads. Beautiful.

Terrible, but in a sense, beautiful.
(Jan. 27, 2012  6:45 AM)SAM10795 Wrote: Education system in India is different. We do not have different options until we are in Grade 11. Till grade 10(in which I study) we are taught all subjects(Physics, Chem, Bio, Math, Language, Literature, etc.). Calculus and Rigid Body mechanics is for grade 11 and I am studying it in a coaching class which will prepare me for this exam
As for the calculus part. I find it tough to derive the moments of inertia and centre of mass of continuous objects with it. And I also find it difficult to find the velocity when we are give displacement(x) as a function of time(t) as in t= 4x² + 5x + 3... I never understand where to start.

Aah, you're going into IIT? Good luck with that.

As for your displacement/velocity question, simply apply the Power Rule from left to right, so:
h(t)= 4x² + 5x + 3
would become
h'(t)= V(t)= 8x + 5

It's just x^(n)--> nx^(n-1) for that case. Of course, stuff like Chain Rule and Quotient Rule is more difficult, but derivatives aren't too bad in general. PM me if you have some more questions. Smile
Gave you the wrong example Tongue_out it was second order differentiation. Hmm.. The chain rule is what i find tough.
Do you mean double derivatives? Just take the derivative again of the derivative. Trying to do second derivative directly is too confusing and liable to make mistakes easily.

Chain rule is rather annoying, and unfortunately used a lot in calc, but it goes like this:

(x)^n--> (n(x)^(n-1))(x')

For example:
(x²+5x)^3
would be
3(x²+5x)²(2x+5) as the derivative.
Yes but in the example i gave, there would be components of v along with x isnt it? Anyways.. PMs coming for you
Not really, V(t) is kept separate because the function remains as is, so V(t) would stay in the position of h(t) while x changes.

EDIT: I will admit, that video made me lol because of the children's expressions. That's just sad though. As th!nk put it nicely, "Terrible, but beautiful".
(Jan. 27, 2012  2:38 AM)Hazel Wrote: It prompted me ordering chicken nuggets this evening from McDonalds.
Considering that you know so much about health, I would expect you to be vegetarian, vegan, or just the kind of person that doesn't eat at McDonalds. XD

We had to watch Super Size Me in my Health II class this year. It made a lot of other people in the class not want McDonalds, but I was really craving a quarter pounder after that video! XP (And I'm extremely skinny (135 pounds)).

(Jan. 27, 2012  10:05 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2012  2:38 AM)Hazel Wrote: It prompted me ordering chicken nuggets this evening from McDonalds.
Considering that you know so much about health, I would expect you to be vegetarian, vegan, or just the kind of person that doesn't eat at McDonalds. XD

We had to watch Super Size Me in my Health II class this year. It made a lot of other people in the class not want McDonalds, but I was really craving a quarter pounder after that video! XP (And I'm extremely skinny (135 pounds)).

Hah, Im your weight Bey-Heart!

And don't worry, I had to watch that video 5 times. The first time, I made up my mind to ask McDonalds for a Super-Size meal after school, but when we finished the video, it said that they took it off!!! Argh! LOL.
There is a very keen difference between eating it occasionally and making it your only sustenance. Personally, I don't really care at all about physique - and I'm not really at a point where I'm capable of rolling down a hill evenly anyway, as I only weigh 138lb. I monitor the health aspects of my intake, and beyond that, I don't care about anything else.

Eating happy is my preference. I refuse to believe that anyone who eats healthy and stays on strict diets actually has a soul.
That awkward moment when you remember that Jenna Rose from 'My Jeans' is in your school district.

The good part? She will be a freshman next year. >:D
(Jan. 27, 2012  10:22 PM)Hazel Wrote: There is a very keen difference between eating it occasionally and making it your only sustenance. Personally, I don't really care at all about physique - and I'm not really at a point where I'm capable of rolling down a hill evenly anyway, as I only weigh 138lb. I monitor the health aspects of my intake, and beyond that, I don't care about anything else.

Eating happy is my preference. I refuse to believe that anyone who eats healthy and stays on strict diets actually has a soul.

LOL it's true, when I'm dieting I feel like my soul has left me but returns as soon as I cheat and eat a donut.

Super Size Me was pretty stupid in my opinion. The guy ate McDonalds six times a day for a month or something, of course you're gonna get sick. Most people will eat at mcdonalds twice a week at max.

Yea...In Super Size Me, there was a guy who ate 9 Whoppers a day...but he was really thin (looked like a hippy) since he had a REALLY HIGH metabolism.
The thing about Super Size Me, and most other things like it, is that the example they set is pretty stupid. If you eat anything - even the most nutritionally stable food in the world - in that kind of amount or exclusivity, you will be in pretty similar straits.

Really, though, I cannot imagine a life where I eat to look a certain way rather than just enjoying the food. Obviously many people disagree, or value their appearance enough to sacrifice that way. I don't. As long as your cholesterol and vitamin levels are stable, eat what you want, imo.
Atta boy!! I really like ya, Hazel! I'll buy you a beer, some time.

I mean really, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that eating McDonalds three times a day every day is gonna mess you up pretty baddly.

It's like making a documentary to show that smoking is bad for your health. Nah, really?
(Jan. 27, 2012  11:52 PM)Hazel Wrote: Really, though, I cannot imagine a life where I eat to look a certain way rather than just enjoying the food. Obviously many people disagree, or value their appearance enough to sacrifice that way. I don't. As long as your cholesterol and vitamin levels are stable, eat what you want, imo.

For me, I eat healthy because of the way it makes me feel. I just feel more happy and willing to do anything and everything, and I really think the important part of eating healthy is not what you'll look like in the future, but what you'll feel like right now. Satisfying a craving is not happiness if it goes away in ten minutes? Eating well lasts all day! The look good part is a byproduct of feeling good, not the reason to eat better. Also, a more positive attitude comes out of eating well, and that's more charming than looks, so the females say. (But I think they're lying)
LOL'D @ last part
I agree with Shabalabadoo. It does make me feel good when i eat healthy.
Yeah, but it also makes people feel good to enjoy delicious, fatty food. Gotta find a balance between the two!
(Jan. 27, 2012  11:23 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: That awkward moment when you remember that Jenna Rose from 'My Jeans' is in your school district.

The good part? She will be a freshman next year. >Grin

She goes to your school?

oh lawdy

I hated that song so badly... SO BADLY
I can't remember the last time I ate a chicken nugget.

I think I may have been in elementary school or something.
They always serve us chicken stuff at lunch. 4/5 days of the week, it has chicken in it... We used to have chicken nuggets like every 2 weeks on Fridays, but now we haven't had them in quite a while...

i sense a disturbance in the force