Proposal: Rethinking the Participant Limit

Poll: Should the limit be changed to 7?

Yes, it'd help the WBO.
86.49%
No.
13.51%
Total: 100% 37 vote(s)
There would definintley be more regions with tournaments if we allowed this. I can guarenteed more VA tourneys.
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:23 PM)Ingulit Wrote:
(Jul. 01, 2014  7:50 PM)Du@l Wrote: Either way, many bladers on this site have said that they would not want to participate in a tournament if absolutely nothing was awarded.
While "many" bladers might have said that (from what I'm gathering it's been very few), I'd wager that 100% of bladers would not want to participate in an event in a given region if that event doesn't even exist. If you look at the home page, it looks like there are very, very few regions that even have interest in Beyblade, and what I'm trying to argue is that this change would fix that.
Well, even if only a few bladers have expressed discontent for no credits or beypoints, it's a higher number than those that have approved of it. And yes, unofficial gatherings would be better than nothing at all, but an official tournament with 6 or 7 bladers would be even better, would it not? That's what this thread is about, allowing places without enough bladers to host official tournaments. Gatherings of only four bladers could easily be discussed via pm, by looking people up on beymap, or knowing them from the forum.
The point of this idea was to be able to take the number needed of 8 and cut it by one or two, due to the reasons stated in the OP.

The point was not to hold small unofficial events, which could be done even if the event doesn't work at the last minute (like Lord of the Energy Rings, for example), but to decrease the limit needed for official play to encourage more players to attend- something taking away all of the luxuries of an official event (points, some credits or faces given out) wouldn't help with.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:29 PM)Du@l Wrote:
(Jul. 01, 2014  7:50 PM)Du@l Wrote: Either way, many bladers on this site have said that they would not want to participate in a tournament if absolutely nothing was awarded.
While "many" bladers might have said that (from what I'm gathering it's been very few), I'd wager that 100% of bladers would not want to participate in an event in a given region if that event doesn't even exist. If you look at the home page, it looks like there are very, very few regions that even have interest in Beyblade, and what I'm trying to argue is that this change would fix that.
Well, even if only a few bladers have expressed discontent for no credits or beypoints, it's a higher number than those that have approved of it. And yes, unofficial gatherings would be better than nothing at all, but an official tournament with 6 or 7 bladers would be even better, would it not? That's what this thread is about, allowing places without enough bladers to host official tournaments. Gatherings of only four bladers could easily be discussed via pm, by looking people up on beymap, or knowing them from the forum.

Exactly.
At the heart of everything, I believe that BeyPoints should still be given no matter what. That's the core of what most players seem to want.
(Jul. 01, 2014  7:43 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'm likely reiterating what has been said but I'd love to see it be a 4/5/6 blader minimum for an EVENT to be allowed to be listed on the site, but no credits/Beypoints would be awarded if the event has fewer than 8 participants and includes a mini-tournament. For really inactive regions like my own, it's hard to even begin to grow when we cannot advertise our events via them being listed on the site since we don't have enough bladers (which is very much a catch-22). An event being in the sidebar is incredible visibility that new regions could utilize, even if their event was a gray color or something if it doesn't yet have 8 people (EDIT: or see the following paragraph). It would also be great for new regions to point to their official event history if parents are concerned or something, which right now is a barrier to attracting bladers in an inactive area.

Heck, one idea would be to have two sidebars, one for "events" (Beyblade gatherings with a 4/5/6 blader minimum where no Beypoints or Credits are awarded if they include mini-tournaments) and one for legit "tournaments" (min 8 people, like normal). Even if "events" would likely end up being the same 4-6 people many times, the fact that they would be advertised on the home page would let new bladers know there is Beyblade activity going on in their area that they can go to, and hopefully that will result in an area getting enough new people to start having their own tournaments!

I like the idea of small tournaments being recognized, but not ranked, similar to matches on Dueling Network. If a tournament has under 8 attendees, it could be called "unranked" and no BeyPoints or credits would be awarded, whereas a regular tournament with at least 8 attendees could be labeled "ranked" and BeyPoints and credits would be awarded as usual.
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:37 PM)Naijalak Wrote: At the heart of everything, I believe that BeyPoints should still be given no matter what. That's the core of what most players seem to want.

Exactly.

If a 6/7 player event was not given points, credits, or faces whatsoever, it'd just be an unofficial event promoted by the WBO. While it in a sense makes it official, it'd literally be the same if it were not.

This is why in the OP, I changed it from 6 to 7, as 7 is a bit more reasonable for an official event, especially as Ingulit said that few regions were active (and ranked). Perhaps the 8 could be changed to 7 and then events of 6 or smaller could be unranked, as Ingulit suggested.
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:29 PM)Du@l Wrote: Well, even if only a few bladers have expressed discontent for no credits or beypoints, it's a higher number than those that have approved of it.

You can't make that assumption based on the given information; I know of several people who would be interested in Beyblade events if they were official even if there were no Credits/Beypoints/etc.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:29 PM)Du@l Wrote: And yes, unofficial gatherings would be better than nothing at all, but an official tournament with 6 or 7 bladers would be even better, would it not? That's what this thread is about, allowing places without enough bladers to host official tournaments.

I don't think it would necessarily be better since a tournament with that few people would hardly be fair, as has been expressed by many of the committee members in this thread.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:29 PM)Du@l Wrote: Gatherings of only four bladers could easily be discussed via pm, by looking people up on beymap, or knowing them from the forum.

I'm going to quote an edit I made to my last post to show why this would be bad:

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:14 PM)Leone19 Wrote: If no BeyPoints, Faces, or Credits were given out whatsoever, it'd just be an unofficial event, which wouldn't solve anything, really.

I disagree, and I'm trying to say that the event should not be considered "unofficial" even if no credits were awarded. It would help regions to grow if parents could see that a Beyblade gathering that their kid would want to go to was considered official by the WBO, and that would go a long way toward getting new players to come out to events and grow a region.

Furthermore, very few bladers are on the Beymap, and there is no way to search for bladers who are from your region. If the methods you suggested--all of which I have tried many times--actually worked, I wouldn't be suggesting this since my region would be brimming with activity. Having an event advertised on the front page would also reach the guests who haven't yet made an account, guests which vastly outnumber members in terms of online users at any given time, and who might not have made an account otherwise since they didn't see their region having any activity.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:37 PM)Naijalak Wrote: At the heart of everything, I believe that BeyPoints should still be given no matter what. That's the core of what most players seem to want.

Currently, because I'm in such an inactive area, I want to actually be able to enjoy Beyblade with real people far more than changing a number under my username, as I imagine would most other people in inactive regions like myself. If the Beypoint issue is what is preventing the limit being lowered for official tournaments I think it would be very worth it to ignore them for small events, such that once the region has grown large enough its members could start worrying about Beypoints.
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:39 PM)Leone19 Wrote: This is why in the OP, I changed it from 6 to 7, as 7 is a bit more reasonable for an official event, especially as Ingulit said that few regions were active (and ranked for that matter)- considering the condition Beyblade is currently in.

Perhaps the 8 could be changed to 7 for offical and ranked events, while then events of 6 or smaller could be unranked, as Ingulit suggested.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:49 PM)Du@l Wrote: I won't make any further comments on the topic being discussed, as I have said what I have wanted to say, but this thread is for discussing the prospect of lowering the participants needed in an official beyblade tournament, and any other proposals would really belong in a thread of their own.

Well... I have to agree with that statement.

After retreading the past page and a half, what Ingulit is suggesting doesn't exactly relate to changing the limit on a official, ranked, WBO event, which was my idea for the topic.
I won't make any further comments on the topic being discussed, as I have said what I have wanted to say, but this thread is for discussing the prospect of lowering the participants needed in an official beyblade tournament, and any other proposal would really belong in a thread of it's own.
You're right, I totally hijacked this thread, holy cow. Many apologies Dx

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:43 PM)Leone19 Wrote:
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:39 PM)Leone19 Wrote: This is why in the OP, I changed it from 6 to 7, as 7 is a bit more reasonable for an official event, especially as Ingulit said that few regions were active (and ranked for that matter)- considering the condition Beyblade is currently in.

Perhaps the 8 could be changed to 7 for offical and ranked events, while then events of 6 or smaller could be unranked, as Ingulit suggested.

I fully support this, and would love to see this implemented! Carry on (y)
But like Du@l said, your suggestion could probably belong in a topic of it's own, too. Tongue_out
Just to add to that subject in case it somehow never gets a separate topic : for security purposes, whoever would propose a small unranked 'gathering' would have to have been on the site for many months and have many posts around the site, because with less people at the meetup, we cannot send kids or even young teenagers with just two or three more people including one I do not have more than fifty-percent of trust for. I would say I would enforce this a lot more than in regular Event Proposals where someone needs at least eight confirmed participants who are ideally not cousins, family members, friends, etc.
Personally, I don't see how a tournament would be considered official if it didn't count for credits or faces & wasn't ranked lol.
Honestly, I'd hate to have the option of an unranked tournament and I think it's a terrible idea. Yes, it would avoid having the formula changed, but I joined this site to play competitively. I understand that not everyone needs to play competitively and that playing with others is enough, but meeting up with a bunch of people for a day, traveling hours (in some cases) to get there, and at the end of the day you have nothing to say you won? Seems a little pointless...

I believe the best idea so far was to have lower credits, and only 1st and 2nd place.

Supreme One ninja'd me and said what I did but a lot shorter hah
Exactly- why I said it was it's own thing. If its unranked, it wouldn't even be an official event, just a promoted small event.

Agreeing with Dr. Pepsidew about the best suggestion for a 7/6 player event being not gaining lots of faces/credits.
(Jul. 02, 2014  4:42 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Just to add to that subject in case it somehow never gets a separate topic : for security purposes, whoever would propose a small unranked 'gathering' would have to have been on the site for many months and have many posts around the site, because with less people at the meetup, we cannot send kids or even young teenagers with just two or three more people including one I do not have more than fifty-percent of trust for. I would say I would enforce this a lot more than in regular Event Proposals where someone needs at least eight confirmed participants who are ideally not cousins, family members, friends, etc.
I am only 13 years old, lol.

(Jul. 02, 2014  11:35 AM)Leone19 Wrote: Exactly- why I said it was it's own thing. If its unranked, it wouldn't even be an official event, just a promoted small event.

Agreeing with Dr. Pepsidew about the best suggestion for a 7/6 player event being not gaining lots of faces/credits.
That's what I am trying to say. No one would want to come without the tourney being official.
Quick off-topic-ish aside:

(Jul. 02, 2014  4:42 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Just to add to that subject in case it somehow never gets a separate topic : for security purposes, whoever would propose a small unranked 'gathering' would have to have been on the site for many months and have many posts around the site, because with less people at the meetup, we cannot send kids or even young teenagers with just two or three more people including one I do not have more than fifty-percent of trust for. I would say I would enforce this a lot more than in regular Event Proposals where someone needs at least eight confirmed participants who are ideally not cousins, family members, friends, etc.

That's 100% understandable and I'd totally agree with this being needed if the idea went through considering the standard age of the community. I'll make a new thread about that idea soon so I don't keep hijacking the thread lol

(Jul. 02, 2014  6:40 AM)DrPepsidew Wrote: Honestly, I'd hate to have the option of an unranked tournament and I think it's a terrible idea. Yes, it would avoid having the formula changed, but I joined this site to play competitively. I understand that not everyone needs to play competitively and that playing with others is enough, but meeting up with a bunch of people for a day, traveling hours (in some cases) to get there, and at the end of the day you have nothing to say you won? Seems a little pointless...

You're lucky enough to live in an active region (which means, coincidentally, that this change would not impact you in any way, shape, or form). I live in Alabama, and the only two tournaments I have ever been to were in Atlanta, GA and New York since we don't have enough bladers to host "official" tournaments here to draw out the nearby players who didn't know we were here in order to grow our region. I would much rather be able to play with actual human beings in a tournament even if the number under my username doesn't change than just continuing to playing Beyblade by myself ad naseum.

You can play perfectly competitively even if a tournament is unranked (it's called practice, and being able to play with other competitive Bladers in person for a change), and for those of us who don't live in active areas, it would be the only way we would get to play competitive Beyblade with other people at all.

You don't have to travel hours to smaller events if you don't want to; I live in a well populated area and judging from how often our stores are out of Beyblades I'm sure there are other bladers nearby who would want to come if they knew there was tournament interest nearby. Once we get enough local bladers to host an official tournament we can start thinking about trying to attract bladers from farther away.

It's better to have won a tournament and only have bragging rights than never to be able to be in any tournament in the first place. I don't understand why this is even an argument.
It's an argument because this sidetracked from the original and best idea. Lately we've actually struggled to get people believe it or not. We lost two players, and almost lost our other host. The people we play with are unreliable. We don't do it for bragging rights, thanks for that beatdown, we do it because we love competition and having a way to gauge how close or far we are to another blader.

Why be in a tournament if the essence of a tournament is lost? (To get ranked).

And it would in fact impact our community, people wouldn't even come if it weren't ranked, I assure you. I can practice alone, or with a friend. It's called testing.

Sorry for the salt but holy carp.
Guys, can we please try to keep this on the topic of simply lowering the participant amount to 7/6, rather than arguing about really unrelated things.
(Jul. 02, 2014  5:03 PM)Leone19 Wrote: Guys, can we please try to keep this on the topic of simply lowering the participant amount to 7/6, rather than arguing about really unrelated things.

That's what I'm currently arguing for: lowering the participant requirement, even if it means tournaments with less people aren't ranked to prevent abuse of the system (I thought that was what was being discussed as enabling this to work, apologies if I'm mistaken).

(Jul. 02, 2014  4:14 PM)DrPepsidew Wrote: We don't do it for bragging rights, thanks for that beatdown, we do it because we love competition and having a way to gauge how close or far we are to another blader.

I wasn't trying to attack anyone, I was saying that playing just for bragging rights is a perfectly GOOD thing to do:

(Jul. 02, 2014  3:39 PM)Ingulit Wrote: It's better to have won a tournament and only have bragging rights than never to be able to be in any tournament in the first place.

(Jul. 02, 2014  4:14 PM)DrPepsidew Wrote: Why be in a tournament if the essence of a tournament is lost? (To get ranked).

To get a chance to play with other bladers, meet new people, and the many, many, many other things that come with a tournament other than the number under one's username. There are soooooo many thriving competitive communities that don't have any ranking system whatsoever, and people in those communities very much make it out to tournaments even if their only reward is being able to say they beat the other players if they win.

For myself and most people I know (I don't know if it's different other places), we go to tournaments to HAVE FUN and enjoy each other's company, even if we don't win 100% of the time (in fact, the nature of tournaments is that the majority of the participants will unavoidably end up losing).

(Jul. 02, 2014  4:14 PM)DrPepsidew Wrote: And it would in fact impact our community, people wouldn't even come if it weren't ranked, I assure you.

I disagree. Furthermore, there would still be ranked tournaments; it's not like the ranking system would be gone altogether. This would just be option for regions with less activity to be able to hold smaller, unranked tournaments until their player base grows large enough to have ranked tournaments.

(Jul. 02, 2014  4:14 PM)DrPepsidew Wrote: I can practice alone, or with a friend. It's called testing.

I'm happy for you for having friends nearby that play Beyblade, but I (and likely several other people) currently don't because we can't find bladers in our area. Like I said before:

(Jul. 02, 2014  3:39 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I would much rather be able to play with actual human beings in a tournament even if the number under my username doesn't change than just continuing to play Beyblade by myself ad naseum.

Again, I'm currently talking about enabling the lower-participant-count thing to work by not changing Beypoints/giving out credits for smaller tournaments. If the Committee decides that smaller tournaments could be allowed AND would still give out Beypoints/Credits, then by all means, that's fantastic! I am just trying to show that even if the Committee decides to not give stuff out at small events, it would be worth allowing us to have those events even if prizes aren't given out.

(Jul. 01, 2014  8:52 PM)Ingulit Wrote: You're right, I totally hijacked this thread, holy cow.

Perhaps the 8 could be changed to 7 for offical and ranked events, while then events of 6 or smaller could be unranked, as Ingulit suggested, but that would be a different discussion.

As others have stated, this topic was to see if the minimum particpant number of 8 could be brought to 7 (possibly 6). It relates to official events in general, meaning BeyPoints and a select amount of faces and credits would still be distributed.

You are suggesting events of 6 and smaller, where people would play and nothing is given out, simply for the sake of playing. My proposal is suggesting the minimum number of 8 is changed for official WBO, ranked, events.

Please, as stated before, try to stay to the purpose of this topic- if you like your idea of small, promoted events, by all means, make your own topic for it.

Thank you.
Just to say, guys, there is always a third option, c), in life, and in this case why the hell would the Committee not just do both ideas ? I do not know if it was not clear with my posts so far, but I think we could definitely adapt to the situation by opening those two different venues at once while maintaining regular tournaments.
(Jul. 01, 2014  8:39 PM)Leone19 Wrote: Perhaps the 8 could be changed to 7 for offical and ranked events, while then events of 6 or smaller could be unranked, as Ingulit suggested, but that would be a different discussion.

I tried to suggest that myself, haha.
I think it's best to change it to 7 at this point. 6 doesn't really seem official. It's more like a gathering between friends. A tournament is more around 8 and. I think 7 matches the number and 6 is a little to less.
(Jul. 03, 2014  2:04 AM)RagerBlade Wrote: I think it's best to change it to 7 at this point. 6 doesn't really seem official. It's more like a gathering between friends. A tournament is more around 8 and. I think 7 matches the number and 6 is a little to less.

As Kai-V said, both options are possible, but yeah, this topic is the approval of ranked events with a lower participant amount (7/6).