Pokemon platinum topic

Is anyone here excited about the release of Pokemon Platinum? While I was a huge fan of diamond and pearl, I strongly disliked the national dex B.S. that restricted the player to about 100-120 pokemon before beating the E4. After lurking on some pokemon forums, it became apparent that everyone ended up with roughly the same team pre-E4, consisting of starter + luxray + staraptor + gastrodon + roserade + lucario.

Fortunately, pokemon platinum is changing the game mechanics slightly so that 350+ pokemon are available before the national dex is obtained. This means that all the awesome new evolutions and evolution items (rhyperior, dusknoir, magmortar etc.) are available very early in the game. To accomodate this improved selection of competitive pokemon, the difficulty has been ramped up a bit.

Aslo, you can turn your rotom into a refrigerator...
it's still going to be the same boring, unrefined game pearl and diamond was
(Nov. 03, 2008  5:41 AM)bladehoarder Wrote: Is anyone here excited about the release of Pokemon Platinum? While I was a huge fan of diamond and pearl, I strongly disliked the national dex B.S. that restricted the player to about 100-120 pokemon before beating the E4. After lurking on some pokemon forums, it became apparent that everyone ended up with roughly the same team pre-E4, consisting of starter + luxray + staraptor + gastrodon + roserade + lucario.

Fortunately, pokemon platinum is changing the game mechanics slightly so that 350+ pokemon are available before the national dex is obtained. This means that all the awesome new evolutions and evolution items (rhyperior, dusknoir, magmortar etc.) are available very early in the game. To accomodate this improved selection of competitive pokemon, the difficulty has been ramped up a bit.

Aslo, you can turn your rotom into a refrigerator...

You have access to 210 before getting the national dex not 350+

(Nov. 03, 2008  5:57 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: it's still going to be the same boring, unrefined game pearl and diamond was

Its actually not, its quite more fun than Diamond and Pearl as Galactic is more involved(excessive considering other version) with the game but its still same carp if you consider Emerald but if you're addicted to it you get to buy the damn new version every time Pinching_eyes
Is the gameplay itself improved? Is the EV system fixed? Is the breeding system fixed?

http://forums.beywiki.com/thread-1549-po...l#pid50081

Read this.
(Nov. 03, 2008  5:57 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: it's still going to be the same boring, unrefined game pearl and diamond was

Wrong.

It's actually very different. Got to see it already, friend has the Japanese version Smile
You can skip badges and go back to them, it's funny XD Just like the old days of blue and red.
carp the ev and iv system

it has already ruined the fun for me

why dont we have netbattle for the ds that would be so much better wow
(Nov. 04, 2008  12:26 AM)Gekiryu Wrote:

Wrong.

It's actually very different. Got to see it already, friend has the Japanese version Smile
You can skip badges and go back to them, it's funny XD Just like the old days of blue and red.

hey way to ignore all my complaints with the game
No. I'm DONE! God Pokemon is so damn boring!

I'll list everything I hate about it!

-TOO many damn monsters
-Story is basicly the same
-D/P/PL are slow compared to the GBA Games
-Battles are boring when your so string
-Wifi Trading is boring
-Wifi battling is boring (Depends)'
-carp breeding/catching/trading countless pokemon for good Ivs and carp.

And the main thing that kills it is after the story, there's nothing else story wise.

I don't know maybe I'm just too spoiled by other better games.
(Nov. 03, 2008  8:24 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: http://forums.beywiki.com/thread-1549-po...l#pid50081

Read this.

Love your idea of implementing an ATB system. That's what I liked most about FFIX Grin
One of the weirdest things about the Pokemon games is how small the world is. The entire point of the game is based around wild animals, yet they always seem to hang out on roads or areas really close to human civilization. The game world is incredibly small and there's really no sense of exploration.
(Nov. 04, 2008  7:52 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: One of the weirdest things about the Pokemon games is how small the world is. The entire point of the game is based around wild animals, yet they always seem to hang out on roads or areas really close to human civilization. The game world is incredibly small and there's really no sense of exploration.

True. Although there is of course Pokemon Snap :-P
I just EV train, carp the IVs...they hardly make a difference anyway (1 or 2 stat points, woopy carp). I play because I competitive battle on another forum, yes I use another forum XD. EV training is SO SO easy it is unbelievable. I understand where everybody is coming with the bad points.

Bey Brad Wrote:it's still going to be the same boring, unrefined game pearl and diamond was.

Were Yelow and Crystal the same as what you are mentioning. It all comes down to personal preference and whether you enjoy playing. I personally enjoy playing so Platinum will be getting imported from the USA.
(Nov. 04, 2008  7:52 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: One of the weirdest things about the Pokemon games is how small the world is. The entire point of the game is based around wild animals, yet they always seem to hang out on roads or areas really close to human civilization. The game world is incredibly small and there's really no sense of exploration.

i want more places like viridian forest

caves too i guess, but needing to use a HM carp just to use flash/surf/waterfall/whatever carp HM makes me a sad panda Unhappy

oh and a sewer place would be nice too, so i could catch lots of grimers and koffing and weezing and maybe muk (weezing and muk are some of pokemon i like from the original set of pokemon [also muk fossil set holograph was like the pokemon card i always wanted and i still have it])
(Nov. 04, 2008  1:02 PM)bugturtles Wrote: i want more places like viridian forest

It would be nice for them to introduce a spin-off quest like they did in SGC. You had the Johto and then the Kanto region to conquer. It would be nice to see them introduce all three regions into a single game, the ulitmate Pokemon game =D.
(Nov. 03, 2008  5:41 AM)bladehoarder Wrote: Is anyone here excited about the release of Pokemon Platinum?
^This was posted yesterday.

Sorry but, is Platinum already out. My little bro got it for his b-day!
Platinum got released in Japan 13th September 2008. We aren't due to see a UK/US release until 2009.
(Nov. 04, 2008  2:23 PM)pegasis Wrote: whats ev trainig??

Each Pokémon you beat, besides giving out EXP, also gives EVs (Effort Values) into a certain stat. You don't see these in-game however. Each 4 EVs won into a single stat, will increase it by 1 point, although that's only noticeable when you get to lv100, not at low levels. You can dump a max of 255 (252 since the other 3 EVs would be useless) EVs into one stat and have a max of 510 spread all over. With full 252 EVs, you'll have an increase of 63 points more than you would if you had not invested any EVs into the stat.
There're also items that increase the number of EVs won, like the Macho Brace, which gives x2 the EVs, or the Power Items which give +4 EVs into whatever stat that specific power item is supposed to increase plus whatever EVs you get for the pokémon you just beat. Ex:

- beat a Zubat with no hold item: gets 1 Speed EV
- beat a Zubat while holding Macho Brace: gets 2 Speed EVs
- beat a Zubat while holding a Power Anklet: gets 5 Speed EVs (1 from the Zubat, 4 from holding the Power Anklet
- beat Zubat having your poke infected with Pokérus: gets 2 Speed EVs
- beat Zubat while holding Macho Brace + having Pokérus: gets 4 Speed EVs
- Beat Zubat while holding a Power Anklet + having Pokérus: gets 10 Speed Evs ( 2(1+5)=10 ).

If you don't play competitively (Battle Tower runs included), this won't really matter though.
Otherwise, both EVs and IVs are very important and a difference of just 1 point in a stat like Speed can cost you a pokémon, if not the whole game.
If you're using a battle simulator like Shoddy or Netbattle you won't have to worry with training anyways, just knowing how to correctly alocate the EVs depending on your pokes roles and team needs.
so basically here's the rule:

actual games (DP, RBY, etc) = people with patience to even get close to perfect IV/nature/etc

netbattle = people with skill in EV/IV/nature allocation
(Nov. 05, 2008  12:17 AM)King of Darkness Wrote: ( 2(1+5)=10 ).

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but what? Shouldn't that equal 12?

Or did you mean to write 2(1+4)=10?

Um, anyway, I love the ideas of EVs, it's why I infected all of my Pokemon with Pokerus. Grin

I have no idea about IVs, though
(Nov. 05, 2008  2:49 AM)bugturtles Wrote: distribution rule?

That's what I was thinking, it would work that way

I wouldn't see why the distribution rule would be used here

Wait
(Nov. 05, 2008  2:03 AM)Grey Wrote: I have no idea about IVs, though

IVs can be essential but not neccesary, I know I have contradicted myself. The amount of difference they make is quite small.
(Nov. 05, 2008  2:03 AM)Grey Wrote:
(Nov. 05, 2008  12:17 AM)King of Darkness Wrote: ( 2(1+5)=10 ).

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but what? Shouldn't that equal 12?

Or did you mean to write 2(1+4)=10?

Yeah, that lol (got ahead of myself and wrote the result instead).

(Nov. 05, 2008  2:03 AM)Grey Wrote: Um, anyway, I love the ideas of EVs, it's why I infected all of my Pokemon with Pokerus. Grin

I have no idea about IVs, though

Your Pokémon's IVs can go from 1 to 31, which also determines how high your stats can get to (EV trained or not). Once again, it's something you don't actually see in-game (although there's hints in-game about them).
For a brief introduction about IVs and how they work, check here:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breedi..._part1#one

Again, just a single IV point can make all the difference in winning or loosing a game.
In a simulator, unless you're going for a specific Hidden Power type+power, you can always have all of your IVs set to 31 though. Of course for a specific HP type/power you'd be looking for whatever combination of IVs
would grant your poke the better IV alocation along with the correct HP type and highest possible power for the move, like on a sweeper that needed the absolute max speed, you'd pick whatever combination would still allow you to have a 31 IV for speed, even if it meant some of the other stats would be slightly lower, etc.
Through EV training, IV Breeding and Nature allocation you start to understand the true essence of Pokemon games. Everything that non-competative players do is just scratching the surface.