Pokemon platinum topic

(Jan. 27, 2009  1:19 AM)Grey Wrote: I hack for items so I can get event Pokemon, that's it. The fun is taken out of the game when you hack.

i don't consider grinding for IVs and EVs "fun" and i can't blame people who hack for just wanting to play the damn game without spending an arbitrary amount of time to get decent pokemon
(Jan. 27, 2009  2:00 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2009  1:19 AM)Grey Wrote: I hack for items so I can get event Pokemon, that's it. The fun is taken out of the game when you hack.

i don't consider grinding for IVs and EVs "fun" and i can't blame people who hack for just wanting to play the damn game without spending an arbitrary amount of time to get decent pokemon

Haha, we hacked until our Action Replay broke(AGAIN!!!!). Those things are worthless. I agree, though, Brad.
(Jan. 27, 2009  2:00 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:

I hate trying to earn EVs, it takes way too much time >.> I'm trying to force myself to do it though so I have a decent team next time I battle my friend...who totally owned me last time I battled him.
I've got one EV trained pokemon. A Metagross, which actually is the right nature. It took me 2 months to do, though, I just don't have time to waste on the game.
(Jan. 27, 2009  2:58 AM)Pichuscute Wrote: I've got one EV trained pokemon. A Metagross, which actually is the right nature. It took me 2 months to do, though, I just don't have time to waste on the game.

yeah this is why pokemon sucks
(Jan. 27, 2009  3:00 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2009  2:58 AM)Pichuscute Wrote: I've got one EV trained pokemon. A Metagross, which actually is the right nature. It took me 2 months to do, though, I just don't have time to waste on the game.

yeah this is why pokemon sucks

exactly :\ Wish they would understand this and make a haveway decent game, the ideas great, but they keep reselling the same game(basicly) with more pokemon under a different name.
I only ever completed the pokedex for Red and Gold. That too accomplishing gold took me over a year. After that I just couldn't do it.
I've almost completed the pokedex on pokemon blue, ive got around 133, i could probably finish but im lazy

What did you play like 5 mins a day?
I EV train a bit, but I'm lazy and don't do it very fast >.>
(Jan. 27, 2009  3:40 AM)SexyMichael Wrote:

What did you play like 5 mins a day?

EV training and breeding are necessary to play this game well.
If a part of a game that is necessary is tedious/boring, it is extremely poor game design.
(Jan. 27, 2009  5:32 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: EV training and breeding are necessary to play this game well.

This is why I could never play pokemon competitively.

EV training is ridiculously monotonous.
Breeding for IVs is very time consuming and should be made shorter.

Ev training isn't at all.
(Jan. 27, 2009  8:14 AM)SexyMichael Wrote: Breeding for IVs is very time consuming and should be made shorter.

Ev training isn't at all.

EV training is time consuming, but even barring that it's just so incredibly tedious and arbitrary that it should be removed altogether.
EV training done right takes about 10 minutes to do. With the new items and VS seeker you really only need 5 or so battles to get max EV's, and for a mixed spread vitamins and berries can usually get you the right number.
(Jan. 27, 2009  7:47 PM)FFX Wrote: EV training done right takes about 10 minutes to do. With the new items and VS seeker you really only need 5 or so battles to get max EV's, and for a mixed spread vitamins and berries can usually get you the right number.

"hey if you do all this convoluted carp you can EV your team in an hour, that means this gameplay isn't arbitrary or broken at all!"

god damn why are you guys so allergic to criticizing a game
I remember when I had Action Replay and FireRed, I'd make the wild code to fight like Mewtwo and Pkmn with high EV points.

My only prized Pkmn is my friends Rayquaza. It had the right IV and when I EV trained it legitly, it had a 416 SP attack points! I think that's the highest lol.

Oh yeah, any m y epic Shedninja. Other than that, carp IV/EV training. I liked Everything Pre-Gold/Silver/Crystal.
(Jan. 27, 2009  7:52 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2009  7:47 PM)FFX Wrote: EV training done right takes about 10 minutes to do. With the new items and VS seeker you really only need 5 or so battles to get max EV's, and for a mixed spread vitamins and berries can usually get you the right number.

"hey if you do all this convoluted carp you can EV your team in an hour, that means this gameplay isn't arbitrary or broken at all!"

god damn why are you guys so allergic to criticizing a game

Why are you so adamant about it?

Evs allow you to customize your pokemon's stat spread a little, which adds another level of strategy to the game. They've made it easy and quick to do, and evs alone aren't game breaking at all. Stop being a carp about it.
(Jan. 27, 2009  9:15 PM)SexyMichael Wrote: Evs allow you to customize your pokemon's stat spread a little, which adds another level of strategy to the game. They've made it easy and quick to do, and evs alone aren't game breaking at all. Stop being a carp about it.

It's quick and easy to do if you look up a FAQ and know which Pokemon to fight to get which spreads. It would make more sense if they were simply distributable and re-distributable from a menu instead of the arbitrary, "hidden" system that's in place. Such a fundamental part of gameplay shouldn't be hidden from the player. Also, grinding Bidoofs is poor game design no matter how you look at it. I never claimed EVs should be abolished, because it's a good system; it should simply be implemented more elegantly.

I'm not being a carp so stop taking my criticism of Pokemon as a personal affront.

FYI, I'm adamant about it because I played this series heavily since its inception and am disappointed to see it using such a stagnant and archaic gameplay formula and am voicing my concern about it. Criticizing something is almost always more deserved than shunning all criticism of something.
(Jan. 27, 2009  9:18 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2009  9:15 PM)SexyMichael Wrote: Evs allow you to customize your pokemon's stat spread a little, which adds another level of strategy to the game. They've made it easy and quick to do, and evs alone aren't game breaking at all. Stop being a carp about it.

It's quick and easy to do if you look up a FAQ and know which Pokemon to fight to get which spreads. It would make more sense if they were simply distributable and re-distributable from a menu instead of the arbitrary, "hidden" system that's in place. Such a fundamental part of gameplay shouldn't be hidden from the player. Also, grinding Bidoofs is poor game design no matter how you look at it. I never claimed EVs should be abolished, because it's a good system; it should simply be implemented more elegantly.

I'm not being a carp so stop taking my criticism of Pokemon as a personal affront.

FYI, I'm adamant about it because I played this series heavily since its inception and am disappointed to see it using such a stagnant and archaic gameplay formula and am voicing my concern about it. Criticizing something is almost always more deserved than shunning all criticism of something.

This ^^^^^
Also, because EV training was so boring and tedious that I probably only did play 5-20 minutes most of the time. I don't like to record what I'm doing on a game to be able to play it well.
I remember a friend and I were trying to raise a competitive team, and we spent weeks breeding, putting Pokemon in the day care, pressing up and down for a while, going back, realizing it wasn't what we wanted, and tossing it. We did this for hours a day until we were finally, "why the carp are we wasting our time with this!?"
(Jan. 27, 2009  10:21 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I remember a friend and I were trying to raise a competitive team, and we spent weeks breeding, putting Pokemon in the day care, pressing up and down for a while, going back, realizing it wasn't what we wanted, and tossing it. We did this for hours a day until we were finally, "why the carp are we wasting our time with this!?"

This is what I did, I almost completely EVed a Snorlax when I quit trying to get the right nature without hatching my final egg which just happened to be the nature I was looking for. That was the last time I played (besides the old games). That and when WIFI quit working, there was no reason to raise a team when I couldn't even get thru a competitive match =/
I started EV/IV training on Pokémon FR today. I'd always kinda known how it worked but never really bothered to do it (I have no one I can play competitively against). We spent most of Physics trying to work out IV equations and failing. Most work I've ever done in my Physics. :\
I have a couple friends who also play, I don't think they EV train though. I didn't start EV training till the Diamond version.
And now that I've said that, hasn't this gotten a little derailed from the original aim of this topic...about the 'Platinum' Pokemon games?
every topic we have about pokemon turns into this