Odin Discussion

In the initial testing that I did with Odin (just messing around with different combos, 4-5 rounds at a time), it seemed to me like it was pretty poor for attack, but really good for stamina, so I decided to test that theory and see how it stacked up against the reigning stamina layer, Deathscyther.
Please feel free to post your tests and thoughts below as well.

Equipment

Procedure

Odin Heavy Accel vs. Wyvern Heavy Accel
Odin Heavy Accel: 14 wins (2 BF, 1 KO, 11 SF)
Wyvern Heavy Accel: 6 wins (3 BF, 1 KO, 2 SF)
1 draw (DSF)
Odin win percentage: 70%
Average clicks lost per round:
Odin: 1.1
Wyvern: 1
Round by Round

Definitely better than Wyvern at mobile defense (one on one anyway), but so is Deathscyther, so who cares.

Odin Spread Accel vs. Deathscyther Spread Accel
Odin Spread Accel: 12 wins (1 BF, 11 SF)
Deathscyther Spread Accel: 8 wins (3 BF, 5 SF)
1 draw (DSF)
Odin win percentage: 60%
Odin: 1.6
Deathscyther: 0.85
Round by Round

Odin Spread Survive vs. Deathscyther Spread Survive
Odin Spread Survive: 11 wins (3 BF, 8 SF)
Deathscyther Spread Survive: 9 wins (All SF)
3 draws (1 DBF, 2 DSF)
Odin win percentage: 55%
Odin: 1
Deathscyther: 1.2
Round by Round

These two tests seem too close to call, but, for me it was very apparent that Odin spins for just a little bit longer than Deathscyther. The difference is so small though, that the order of launch will determine who wins. Both of the DSF draws were when Odin was launched first. The only real question left at all, for me, is if Odin will burst easier than Deathscyther and, at least in this one on one matchup, it was Odin who bursted Deathscyther. Odin also seems to stand up a bit better to VHA and SHA, but I haven't done any official tests for that yet.

Odin Spread Survive vs. Valkyrie Spread Survive
Odin Spread Survive: 12 wins (All BF)
Valkyrie Spread Survive: 8 wins (All BF)
10 draws (All DBF)
Odin win percentage: 60%
Odin: 3.2
Valkyrie: 3.2
Round by Round

This test, to me, seemed to show that Odin was better than Deathscyther vs VSS, but I was using a moderately worn Valkyrie layer, so it is hard to say for sure, when this match-up is all about bursting. Once I decide to break out another Valkyrie, I will surely retest this with it.

Part 2: Testing with a brand-new Valkyrie

Odin Spread Survive vs. Valkyrie Spread Survive
Odin Spread Survive: 10 wins (7 BF, 2 KO, 1 SF)
Valkyrie Spread Survive: 10 wins (All BF)
8 draws (All DBF)
Odin win percentage: 50%
Odin: 3.35
Valkyrie: 2.75
Round by Round

Valkyrie held up a little better this time, but Odin still seems to be better than Deathscyther in this situation. It is a test with a lot of bursts and a lot of variables though, so it is hard to say for sure without tests from others. Any other tests that you guys could do on this matchup especially, would be greatly appreciated.

Now, because of suggestions from people made in this thread, I decided to actually test this mobile defense combo in action, against Valkyrie Heavy Accel (with that same brand new Valkyrie) to make sure there were no confounding variables and that A + B does, in fact, equal C.

*BENCHMARK*
Wyvern Spread Accel vs. Valkyrie Heavy Accel
Wyvern Spread Accel: 20 wins (1 BF, 19 SF)
Valkyrie Heavy Accel: 0 wins (All BF)
0 draws
Wyvern win percentage: 100%
Wyvern: 0.75
Valkyrie: 0.55
Round by Round

*BENCHMARK*
Deathscyther Spread Accel vs. Valkyrie Heavy Accel
Deathscyther Spread Accel: 16 wins (4 BF, 12 SF)
Valkyrie Heavy Accel: 4 wins (3 BF, 1 KO)
3 draws (All DBF)
Deathscyther win percentage: 80%
Deathscyther: 1.7
Valkyrie: 1.65
Round by Round

Odin Spread Accel vs. Valkyrie Spread Accel
Odin Spread Accel: 16 wins (4 BF, 2 KO, 10 SF)
Valkyrie Spread Accel: 4 wins (2 BF, 1 KO, 1 SF)
1 draw (DBF)
Odin win percentage: 80%
Odin: 1.25
Valkyrie: 1.85
Round by Round

So it seems that it does do just as well as Deathscyther, against Valkyrie. Wyvern obviously does even better, but doesn't spin as long. It really isn't about which one does better against Valkyrie, unless you are positive your opponent will pick it (which you almost never can know). It is about being able to beat Valkyrie well, but also do the best possible against all other combos as well, in case your opponent chooses differently. With Odin spinning just a little bit longer than Deathscyther and being able to take hits a little bit better as well, my opinion is that Odin would be the best choice for mobile defense, unless you are 100% certain that your opponent will choose VHA, because you will beat VHA anyway and stand a better chance against other combos as well.

I decided to test what was better for mobile defense, Odin Heavy Accel, or Odin Spread Accel. We all know that Heavy is the best disk to use with the Defense driver, but what about Accel, is it the same?

Odin Heavy Accel vs. Odin Spread Accel
Odin Heavy Accel: 14 wins (3 BF, 1 KO, 10 SF)
Odin Spread Accel: 6 wins (All SF)
3 drawa (All DSF)
Odin Heavy win percentage: 70%
Odin Heavy: 0.55
Odin Spread: 1.3
Round by Round
It seems that Heavy is better for mobile as well as immobile defense
Nice, thank you very much for such prompt testing.
Can you do some tests comparing Odin Spread Accel and Deathscyther Spread Accel?
Thanks, great to finally see some tests on Odin, I've been looking forward to them. Expect me to throw tests into the ring once my stuff comes through the mail. Glad to see that Odin also seems to have some use at mobile defense as well as stamina.
You're only testing the mobile defense combos against other mobile defense combos, which isn't really their intended use. Which are better at actual mobile defense?
(Oct. 27, 2015  3:47 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: You're only testing the mobile defense combos against other mobile defense combos, which isn't really their intended use. Which are better at actual mobile defense?

Right, these are my thoughts too. It's great that OHA can beat WHA, but what I'd like to know is if it beats VHA as much.
Good point. That type of test is very hard to do accurately though, because there are so many more variables. I think it basically follows logically that if it spins longer and and is harder for Valkyrie to burst, then it will be better than Deathscyther against VHA. I know that it is not necessarily true, but it most likely is. I would say that Wyvern is still going to be better at fending off attacks, but it obviously can't spin as long. I think it is basically the same as the WHA/DSA tradeoff and if I had to choose one to play, I would choose DSA anyway because you probably aren't going to get hit much anyway. I will bust out a fresh Valkyrie though and test it, I am defintely interested to see if the tooth wear on the Valkyrie I used swayed the results
(Oct. 27, 2015  4:17 AM)Zoroaste Wrote: Good point. That type of test is very hard to do accurately though, because there are so many more variables.

I don't really understand. This is how all tests are conducted. Beyblade is a game full of variables, which is why it's important for others to verify the findings or dispute them.
Yeah true, I wasn't thinking correctly there and misspoke (mistyped? lol). It is the same as any stalling test, forget I said that, lol. I will do it tonight just to make sure that a + b does, in fact, = c
Man, Odin's looking like one of the best layers in the metagame. Good at attack, defense and stamina. Seriously, is there anything it can't do?
(Oct. 28, 2015  8:10 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: Man, Odin's looking like one of the best layers in the metagame. Good at attack, defense and stamina. Seriously, is there anything it can't do?

Odin isn't good for attack.
It's not really that great at attack, in my opinion. It doesn't hit hard at all, especially against Wyvern. It would be a very poor choice for a pure attack combo. That said though, I do think it may very well be the best choice in a tournament situation at this point in time. Beats attack, beats other mobile defense/stamina combos, and you could at least try to sliding shoot against immobile stamina. I don't think you would do very well, but at least you would have a small chance. In that light, it may be worth using it with Heavy. Definitely worth thinking about/testing.
It was suggested is really good for balance (Odin Heavy Fusion, theorically good in attack/defense but not stamina) but hasn't been tested officially yet
I definitely wouldn't suggest using Fusion for attack. Maybe I misunderstood what you said or maybe you know a technique that I do not. I think Accel is much better for both attack and mobile defense (and mobile defense is also better than immobile defense, in my opinion), in the testing that I have done
(Oct. 28, 2015  8:39 PM)Zoroaste Wrote: I definitely wouldn't suggest using Fusion for attack. Maybe I misunderstood what you said or maybe you know a technique that I do not. I think Accel is much better for both attack and mobile defense (and mobile defense is also better than immobile defense, in my opinion), in the testing that I have done

I suggested it because is not officially tested, not because I done it, if I could I would have done it. Also Fusion doesn't have any official testing so I could check what you (and most people that already have burst) are saying.

Also said it was for balance, is not aimed to be the best attack OR defense type, has a balance type it has to be really good at both, so it can behave well in both posibilities, basically, have more versatility
I'm honestly shocked that Deathscyther Spread Accel defeated Valkyrie Heavy Accel that badly, let alone at all. From my experiences in testing/tournaments and from what I've read on the WBO Attack Types almost always beat Mobile Stamina/Tornado Stallers, and I can't imagine the Burst gimmick having too much of an effect on that matchup. I know less about Odin, but its contact points seem less pronounced than Deathscyther's and its abs teeth may be stronger so I can imagine it taking hits better. Did you launch Deathscyther or Valkyrie a certain way so that the two avoided contact?
I launched them both normally, so that they would both tornado stall. Trying to launch them at the same exact strength. I did try to avoid initial contact, right off the launcher, because that normally sways the results, but they definitely made contact a decent amount. when one caught up to the other.
(Oct. 28, 2015  9:01 PM)Wombat Wrote: I'm honestly shocked that Deathscyther Spread Accel defeated Valkyrie Heavy Accel that badly, let alone at all. From my experiences in testing/tournaments and from what I've read on the WBO Attack Types almost always beat Mobile Stamina/Tornado Stallers, and I can't imagine the Burst gimmick having too much of an effect on that matchup.

Wyvern Heavy Accel consistently beats Valkyrie Heavy Accel too.
(Oct. 28, 2015  10:15 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Oct. 28, 2015  9:01 PM)Wombat Wrote: I'm honestly shocked that Deathscyther Spread Accel defeated Valkyrie Heavy Accel that badly, let alone at all. From my experiences in testing/tournaments and from what I've read on the WBO Attack Types almost always beat Mobile Stamina/Tornado Stallers, and I can't imagine the Burst gimmick having too much of an effect on that matchup.

Wyvern Heavy Accel consistently beats Valkyrie Heavy Accel too.

Yes, but that's a Mobile Defense combo. Wyvern's contact points are facing left which allow it to block Valkyrie's attacks, as opposed to Deathscyther's which are far more pronounced and facing right. Therefore Deathscyther takes more recoil and is also more likely to "unclick" when coming into contact with Valkyrie. Heavy also outweighs Spread so Valkyrie also has the weight advantage on its side.
Oh sorry, I totally misunderstood your post. @[1234beyblade] used DSA at the Toronto event so maybe he can chime in?
I actually made a video of DOA and VWA it's basically the same thing, i will be uploading it later today, but the results i got from that battle were rather crazy haha, Deathscyther won 5-1 i believe and this was a full out contact battle to make the video interesting. So personally i think the momentum of DSA nulifies the hits from Valkyrie, to me its the only logical answer.
It's my current favorite, but there are still counters. To counter Odin Spread Survive I would use Valkyrie Heavy Accel (with sliding shoot). To counter Odin Spread Accel, I would use Odin Spread Survive (you could use Deathscyther Spread Survive as well though).
(Nov. 01, 2015  12:40 PM)gankoba Wrote: Hmm, so basically Odin beats everything

Hm, none of the test results in the first post indicate that at all, I do not know how you came to that conclusion based on that.