Notice: Removal of Map Feature on December 3, 2016

On December 3rd, we'll be removing the existing map feature of the site. In its place we'll be launching a new location notifications system that works a lot more simply:

– You put your location information into your profile
– When there's a tournament near your location, you'll receive an on-site or email notification

That's it. User locations will no longer be publicly visible. Instead, tournament organizers will have access to an additional "address" field when they create new tournament threads that will be used to locate nearby users. This all will happen automatically.

As a consequence of the removal of this feature, we will be removing the "stores" feature as well. While much of the information is out of date, members who want to retain information from that section should do so immediately, as it will not be accessible in the new interface.

We're really excited to launch a location and tournament notifications system that will make it way more seamless for bladers to know when there's a tournament near them. All of this — and more great stuff — is soon to come.
This is amazing! I'm so glad it'll be easier to see members who are nearby. Excited for things in the future!

Thank you for always trying to improve the WBO. Smile

Edit: Will members need to input their location? Having the site to automatically pinpoint for a member's GPS location might be cool as maybe some might not manually input their region/location?
(Nov. 27, 2016  12:36 AM)Brisk AquarioHD Wrote: This is amazing! I'm so glad it'll be easier to see members who are nearby. Excited for things in the future!

Edit: Will members need to input their location? Having the site to automatically pinpoint for a member's GPS location might be cool as maybe some might not manually input their region/location?

Members will have to input their location manually. However, you only have to select your country from a list and enter your postal/zip code. We'll look into automatic location detection as a potential update later on. Smile Thanks!
(Nov. 27, 2016  12:49 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Nov. 27, 2016  12:36 AM)Brisk AquarioHD Wrote: This is amazing! I'm so glad it'll be easier to see members who are nearby. Excited for things in the future!

Members will have to input their location manually. However, you only have to select your country from a list and enter your postal/zip code. We'll look into automatic location detection as a potential update later on. Smile Thanks!

That's good to hear. Smile No problem!
This is very interesting. This will definitely make knowing about tournaments easier if I missed an update from the area tournament forum. Thanks!
Lol. Why all good things have to goChief - Sigh ...

Well I can understand that lol

Bey Brad Wrote:That's it. User locations will no longer be publicly visible. Instead, tournament organizers will have access to an additional "address" field when they create new tournament threads that will be used to locate nearby users. This all will happen automatically.

By that you mean this?
[Image: Screenshot_2016_11_27_09_00_23.png]

Or location on map?
(Nov. 27, 2016  4:31 AM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: Lol. Why all good things have to goChief - Sigh ...

Well I can understand that lol

Bey Brad Wrote:That's it. User locations will no longer be publicly visible. Instead, tournament organizers will have access to an additional "address" field when they create new tournament threads that will be used to locate nearby users. This all will happen automatically.

By that you mean this?
[Image: Screenshot_2016_11_27_09_00_23.png]

Or location on map?

I believe he's talking about the location on the map.
Looking forward to see the new feature. I'll miss checking out other user locations.. only if it can be publicly visible Eee would be great
(Nov. 27, 2016  9:18 AM)ashton pinto Wrote: Looking forward to see the new feature. I'll miss checking out other user locations.. only if it can be publicly visible Eee would be great

While I don't think the map necessarily puts anyone in danger, I do worry that as we get more and more attention, the fact that we are a site about a kid's toy that has a map showing where people live might attract ... the wrong kind of attention. Particularly from parents, or Hasbro.