New Look for Beyblade Spirit/General Topic

http://www.cybertigeranime.com/bbspirit/index2.php

Kuznetsov and I have been working on this layout a lot in the past few weeks. Hopefully everybody likes it at least as much as I do.

As you can see, I will update the news bar below the banner every time there are some news. On the right, there is also a place featuring the events organized/sanctioned by the World Beyblade Organization.

As for the new content, the main update is that I wrote an article for Metal Fight Beyblade DS.

... I hope this is not the first time you will visit Beyblade Spirit, because I cannot summarise everything we have ...
Nice to see the new layout up. I prefer it over the previous one tbh. I'm glad I finally made it onto your affiliate list.

I can see Kuznetsov's influence on the layout lol, it is as clear as day =D.
whoaaa that's actually sick

great job!
I really like the new Layout! It's looking really good
Looks awesome! Great job Grin !
(Dec. 07, 2008  8:48 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: I can see Kuznetsov's influence on the layout lol, it is as clear as day =D.
Oh, how is that so ?

I quite appreciate your comments.
that banner in your signature is freaking me out
I really loved the old layout, but this one looks good as well! Just some minor suggestions, however;

- It needs to be made more clear to the visitor that they are at Beyblade Spirit. The small "Welcome to Beyblade Spirit!" banner at the top is not enough. And the text on the header is not very noticeable in my opinion. The left side of the header also seems to fit with the theme of the site more than the darker right side does as well.

- Not liking the black links on the left hand side navigation. Black text on a dark red background is not pleasant to read. Something needs to be done about that.

- Instead of having pure white on each side of the site, perhaps extending the red background pattern into that white would be more consistent?

- Changing the title bars for news items to red instead of the current shades of blue would be more consistent as well. And increasing the font size of the titles by a few points may be something to consider.

- There are four primary colours being used on the layout. Red is the most dominant, followed by yellow, blue, and green for MFB News, BBS Forums, and BEYUNION. This is too much. It makes sense to want to differentiate them like that, but using such different colours is not a good design choice in my opinion. Maybe changing the BEYUNION section to red would make it look a little better. I am not sure.
-
Overall, I think the redesign was done well, but considering a few of the changes I suggested may make it look even better.

Good job with everything though, Kai-V and Kuznetsov!
(Dec. 08, 2008  1:31 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Oh, how is that so ?

Now that I look at it, it is less obvious. I just swear that I have seen something of a similiar nature made by Kuz.

your Pegasis in the signature is sooo freaky as well. I never imagined the left of Pegasis being what you have displayed in the image lol.
(Dec. 08, 2008  8:37 AM)Kei Wrote: - It needs to be made more clear to the visitor that they are at Beyblade Spirit. The small "Welcome to Beyblade Spirit!" banner at the top is not enough. And the text on the header is not very noticeable in my opinion. The left side of the header also seems to fit with the theme of the site more than the darker right side does as well.
I think I was hoping that the darker side's contrast would attract people's attention.

Kei Wrote:- Not liking the black links on the left hand side navigation. Black text on a dark red background is not pleasant to read. Something needs to be done about that.

- Instead of having pure white on each side of the site, perhaps extending the red background pattern into that white would be more consistent?

- Changing the title bars for news items to red instead of the current shades of blue would be more consistent as well. And increasing the font size of the titles by a few points may be something to consider.

- There are four primary colours being used on the layout. Red is the most dominant, followed by yellow, blue, and green for MFB News, BBS Forums, and BEYUNION. This is too much. It makes sense to want to differentiate them like that, but using such different colours is not a good design choice in my opinion. Maybe changing the BEYUNION section to red would make it look a little better. I am not sure.
Honestly, I do not think I will do most of these changes. However, I tested those things you pointed out :
http://www.cybertigeranime.com/bbspirit/index3_RED.php

After seeing that, I might make the text on the left side white though.

Bey Brad Wrote:that banner in your signature is freaking me out
BeyUK-Espio Wrote:your Pegasis in the signature is sooo freaky as well. I never imagined the left of Pegasis being what you have displayed in the image lol.
You have not seen the rest.

Although, Pegasis is the most successful representation.

I seriously cannot understand people who say the Pegasis Wheel does not look like a Pegasus, "unlike Dragoon and Dranzer" ...

BeyUK-Espio Wrote:Now that I look at it, it is less obvious. I just swear that I have seen something of a similiar nature made by Kuz.
I asked because I made the whole layout. Kuznetsov coded it, there were some problems meanwhile, and I changed a few simple things in the code, mostly concerning the style.
(Dec. 08, 2008  3:42 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I asked because I made the whole layout. Kuznetsov coded it, there were some problems meanwhile, and I changed a few simple things in the code, mostly concerning the style.

I personally saw no problem with the original colour scheme of things. Have you tried making the texture of the red shell of the design spread to where the ripped edges are. Having plain red doesn't look right.
Also, I can see Kuznetsov's influence through the IF ELSE PHP coding she uses. This is what I was planning to implement in my layout. It is extrmely useful when it comes to changing the layout.
Well, I've never been on there before but it looks really good. I'll prolly look around once I get home.....
i prefer it alot more to the old layout, the banner is awesome!
i find myself wanting to go on it more than usuall, that might be because of the new layoutJoyful_2

Great work Grin
(Dec. 08, 2008  3:42 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Honestly, I do not think I will do most of these changes. However, I tested those things you pointed out :

Those changes vastly improved the look of the website. I believe you should leave it as it is in that link, with all my suggestions in tact. However, I am glad you have taken the time to considered them.
The website looks great now. I love the Metal Fight Manga scheme. Good job.
(Dec. 16, 2008  12:18 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Dec. 08, 2008  3:42 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Honestly, I do not think I will do most of these changes. However, I tested those things you pointed out :

Those changes vastly improved the look of the website. I believe you should leave it as it is in that link, with all my suggestions in tact. However, I am glad you have taken the time to considered them.
I am ready to offer both versions on the splash page. However, I will not go back through all the links in all the pages to change "index2.php". All the pages linked to on the left side would present the red layout in that version though.

Again, thank you for the comments.
(Dec. 17, 2008  2:49 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I am ready to offer both versions on the splash page. However, I will not go back through all the links in all the pages to change "index2.php". All the pages linked to on the left side would present the red layout in that version though.

Oh, do you? Only the original version is linked to on the splash page, for me at least.
(Dec. 17, 2008  5:39 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Dec. 17, 2008  2:49 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I am ready to offer both versions on the splash page. However, I will not go back through all the links in all the pages to change "index2.php". All the pages linked to on the left side would present the red layout in that version though.

Oh, do you? Only the original version is linked to on the splash page, for me at least.
I will change it. I was simply stating that, right now, I am ready to do that.
Have you considered setting up an archive news page yet? the index2.php file is reaching 400k.
Honestly I much prefer the red version of the layout.

The original is way too busy and has way too many colors flying around, making it look scattered and unorganized. The prevalence of the red in the altered version alleviates most of this, but I think overall the layout is way too crowded and has more text and content than it does space to allow such information. Also, the scrolling text boxes up top are distracting and they pull the focus away from the site updates, which should always be the main focus of the site.

I hate to sound like such a Debbie Downer, just putting in my two cents.
(Dec. 23, 2008  11:59 AM)Kuznetsov Wrote: Have you considered setting up an archive news page yet? the index2.php file is reaching 400k.

I was also going to suggest this. I did the same to BeyUK as I loose all my updates that are older than three updates.
Well, I finally officially installed the red version. Do not mind the splash page; I might change it later.

Is it still a good idea ? I personally do not want to abandon the original layout, but if people would be more pleased with this red one, I have not found any other solution. And nobody told me not to offer both versions when I suggested it.

I removed some updates from the main page. Should there be even less ?

In other news, I made three new wallpapers for Aries, Libra and Wolf.

Roan Wrote:The original is way too busy and has way too many colors flying around, making it look scattered and unorganized. The prevalence of the red in the altered version alleviates most of this, but I think overall the layout is way too crowded and has more text and content than it does space to allow such information. Also, the scrolling text boxes up top are distracting and they pull the focus away from the site updates, which should always be the main focus of the site.
I will keep your suggestions in mind for the next layout.

Roan Wrote:but I think overall the layout is way too crowded and has more text and content than it does space to allow such information.
You would have hated the previous layout ...
(Dec. 30, 2008  11:30 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Well, I finally officially installed the red version. Do not mind the splash page; I might change it later.

Is it still a good idea ? I personally do not want to abandon the original layout, but if people would be more pleased with this red one, I have not found any other solution. And nobody told me not to offer both versions when I suggested it.

I removed some updates from the main page. Should there be even less ?

In other news, I made three new wallpapers for Aries, Libra and Wolf.

If you plan on not changing the splash page, perhaps making the "Multi-colour" and "Red" fonts more readable? And adding the word "version" under each word may make it more clear to visitors what it means.

I see no reason to not keep both versions, the more power visitors have, the better.

Love the wallpapers! I wish some other resolutions were available though. It shouldn't be to hard, considering how minimalistic they are.
(Dec. 30, 2008  11:50 PM)Kei Wrote: If you plan on not changing the splash page, perhaps making the "Multi-colour" and "Red" fonts more readable? And adding the word "version" under each word may make it more clear to visitors what it means.
I will remember this.

Kei Wrote:Love the wallpapers! I wish some other resolutions were available though. It shouldn't be to hard, considering how minimalistic they are.
What is your screen resolution ?
1024x768 is basically the smallest res out there right now

mine is 1280x800

also i think the giant Beyblade Spirit logo is pretty ugly on the wallpaper

btw the red layout looks much better