Los Angeles Tournamnet Report: From Z to GT

First of all, a big shout out to JoJo, Alta, Infinite.Zero, UltimateMaster, Justj11., RacingCheetahz, and Kingz_hero_ for all of your help at the tournament.  

There are a few logistic things about this tournament want to share 1st:

1) Alhambra Park-
This is now the second tournament I have hosted at Alhambra Park.  I like to share some of the pros and cons

Pros:
- free parking vs $10 at Grand park 
- generally speaking bathroom is cleaner (not a guarantee)
- reservable covered area (also a con to be discussed in the cons section below) that will only be ours to use for the day.  
- does attract some participants who for one reason or another cannot make it out to Grand Park

Cons:
- reservable covered area is not free and the larger picnic shelters have to be reserved way in advance (up to a year on some dates).  The sizes are for 24 ppl and 60 ppl.  If I do reserve these shelters I plan to charge a venue fee of $2.  Covered areas will become a must when we hit full summer.   
- lighting at night is not really sufficnet to play

I still plan to test out Alhambra Park and will attempt again to reserve a picnic area for my next tournament.  This does mean I would have to set a participant cap.  

On to the tournament.  

Mitchjett and I prepared very similar combos to play in First stage (LC used whenever possible)

Shindog:        
pP.0C.Xt+ (Actually saw play 1st stage)
hS.0C.Xt+ (Actually saw play 1st stage)
hS.10P.At
B3.OOW.Br
aH.Ω.Et
czS.OOW.Br

Mitchjett:
pP.Ω.Xt+  (Actually saw play 1st stage)
B3.OOW.Br (Actually saw play 1st stage)
aH.Ω.Et

I ended up 5-0 and Mitchjett 3-2 and we both advanced.

Decks for Finals

Mitchjett:
Quarter finals semifinals and 3rd place match-(LC)pP.Ω.Xt+, B3.OOW.Br, hS.10P.At

Shindog:
Quarter finals and semifinals -(LC) pP.0C.Xt+, hS.10P.At, B3.OOW.Br
3rd place match- (LC)pP.0C.Xt+, cR.7P.Ds’, B3.OOW.Br

I don’t remember much of my quarter finals except facing hK. 

Semifinals against Alta 
All I remember here is I was able to set up the situation for me to be on hS.At against his hS.Br for the game.  And I lost...  

3rd place match against Mitchjett:
I pretty much just used cR.7P.Ds’ for this match.  And Mitchjett countered with B3.OOW.Br.  We both got stubborn for some reason and just stuck to our picks. I scored zero KO or Bursts and won by out spinning B3 over all....huh?  

My personal take away:

cR layer- I now kind of see it as a czA+aK effect for this layer.  It just the way I look at it. The combination of tossing B3.Br into the wall/ridge and CR being smooth enough (out side of the hard hitting spots) allowed me to OS B3.Br with cR.Ds’ I think.  I dunno for sure.  

Ω vs 0/OOC on pP.Xtend plus- still hard for me to decide which is better. I have seen videos showing Ω being better in in pP mirror match but my own testing wasn’t as conclusive. 

Thank you everyone for coming out.
(Mar. 17, 2019  10:42 PM)Shindog Wrote: First of all, a big shout out to JoJo, Alta, Infinite.Zero, UltimateMaster, Justj11., RacingCheetahz, and Kingz_hero_ for all of your help at the tournament.  

There are a few logistic things about this tournament want to share 1st:

1) Alhambra Park-
This is now the second tournament I have hosted at Alhambra Park.  I like to share some of the pros and cons

Pros:
- free parking vs $10 at Grand park 
- generally speaking bathroom is cleaner (not a guarantee)
- reservable covered area (also a con to be discussed in the cons section below) that will only be ours to use for the day.  
- does attract some participants who for one reason or another cannot make it out to Grand Park

Cons:
- reservable covered area is not free and the larger picnic shelters have to be reserved way in advance (up to a year on some dates).  The sizes are for 24 ppl and 60 ppl.  If I do reserve these shelters I plan to charge a venue fee of $2.  Covered areas will become a must when we hit full summer.   
- lighting at night is not really sufficnet to play

I still plan to test out Alhambra Park and will attempt again to reserve a picnic area for my next tournament.  This does mean I would have to set a participant cap.  

On to the tournament.  

Mitchjett and I prepared very similar combos to play in First stage (LC used whenever possible)

Shindog:        
pP.0C.Xt+ (Actually saw play 1st stage)
hS.10P.At
B3.OOW.Br
aH.Ω.Et
czS.OOW.Br

Mitchjett:
pP.Ω.Xt+  (Actually saw play 1st stage)
B3.OOW.Br (Actually saw play 1st stage)
aH.Ω.Et

I ended up 5-0 and Mitchjett 3-2 and we both advanced.

Decks for Finals

Mitchjett:
Quarter finals semifinals and 3rd place match-(LC)pP.Ω.Xt+, B3.OOW.Br, hS.10P.At

Shindog:
Quarter finals and semifinals -(LC) pP.0C.Xt+, hS.10P.At, B3.OOW.Br
3rd place match- (LC)pP.0C.Xt+, cR.7P.Ds’, B3.OOW.Br

I don’t remember much of my quarter finals except facing hK. 

Semifinals against Alta 
All I remember here is I was able to set up the situation for me to be on hS.At against his hS.Br for the game.  And I lost...  

3rd place match against Mitchjett:
I pretty much just used cR.7P.Ds’ for this match.  And Mitchjett countered with B3.OOW.Br.  We both got stubborn for some reason and just stuck to our picks. I scored zero KO or Bursts and won by out spinning B3 over all....huh?  

My personal take away:

cR layer- I now kind of see it as a czA+aK effect for this layer.  It just the way I look at it. The combination of tossing B3.Br into the wall/ridge and CR being smooth enough (out side of the hard hitting spots) allow me the OS B3.Br with cR.Ds’ I think.  I dunno for sure.  

Ω vs 0/OOC on pP.Xtend plus- still hard for me to decide which is better. I have seen videos showing Ω being better in in pP mirror match but my own testing wasn’t as conclusive. 

Thank you everyone for coming out.

Great job Shindog on this tournament and handling ur 2nd tournament(i think)
I've been thinking about omega vs 0C before the tournament but didnt worry about it too muchTongue_out
Did anyone use Xtreme Dash or other similar Attack Drivers at this tournament? Other than Destroy', of course.

And how did you feel about pP as a Layer generally speaking? At A NEW BEYGINNING I really hated the mirror match since it felt so random based on who's Dead Armour came off haha.
(Mar. 18, 2019  7:15 PM)Kei Wrote: Did anyone use Xtreme Dash or other similar Attack Drivers at this tournament? Other than Destroy', of course.

And how did you feel about pP as a Layer generally speaking? At A NEW BEYGINNING I really hated the mirror match since it felt so random based on who's Dead Armour came off haha.

Yes, when I faced Alta pP vs pP even when his ring came off first he still won xD  Maybe bc I'm a kid with weaker launch strength...
(Mar. 18, 2019  7:32 PM)7sukuyomi Wrote:
(Mar. 18, 2019  7:15 PM)Kei Wrote: Did anyone use Xtreme Dash or other similar Attack Drivers at this tournament? Other than Destroy', of course.

Yes, when I faced Alta pP vs pP even when his ring came off first he still won xD  Maybe bc I'm a kid with weaker launch strength...

Launch strength I think can change a match. I was using hS 00P Br and my opponent was using hS 0B Br and I lost 3-0

I don’t think I personally saw any X’ used during first stage, but I didn’t see that many matches to be honest.  I am pretty sure X’ was not used in the finals and I saw most of the finals.  

I think pP is a very powerful layer and it has seemingly taken over the aH spot.  I didn’t make an effort avoid the mirror match so I did run into situations where the one or both armor(s) came off.  I think I can only remember 2 instances where the armor(s) definitly affected the outcome.  I agree it is random but it’s also kind of exciting in a way.  People would gather to see if an armor will pop off.  It’s even more exciting when an armor or two stay in the stadium and creat tripping death traps.  It may not be a great test of skill with pP but it was fun to watch and use for me.