Introducing: TEAM FORMAT! - Pilot Event: BEY OR DIE @ Unplugged Expo on 9/27/14

Hey World Bladers!

We've heard your pleas over the past few years and are excited to announce today that the WBO will be introducing a new Team Format! How will it work, you ask?

Introducing to WBO Organized Play:
TEAM FORMAT

Teams of 3
In this new experimental format variant, Bladers will begin by registering in teams of three.
  • When registering, teams must provide a team name that will be used to create a Team Account on the WBO.
  • Team Accounts may be used in the future for a potential separate Team Ranking in the BeyPoints System.
  • Team Accounts can only be created by attending a Team Format tournament and registering with your team. They will have a special "Team" user group applied to them to set them apart from regular users. Do not attempt to make Team Accounts outside of tournaments or you will be warned; the "Team" user group can only be applied by Committee Members anyways.

Team Captains
  • Each team must designate one member as the "Captain".
  • Captains have the right to remove members from their team in order to recruit new ones at any time, except during a tournament.
  • Captains can only lead one team, for life. So, think carefully before you decide to form your own team; in many ways you have more freedom as a regular team member. This is important to prevent the possibility of a team of three slowly removing/adding members and then one day ending up with three entirely different members. This way, three new members can't take over a highly ranked team as their own. There is always a link back to the 'soul' of the team if the Captain remains.
  • Should a Captain choose to dissolve a team, their ranking will be nullified entirely and the team will cease to exist. One exception that will be made is if a Captain chooses to retire from Beyblade. In this case, he or she can pass on the leadership to another member, but only if the team has 50+ Team BeyBattle wins at that point in time.

Which WBO Organized Play Formats can be used?
Depending on the amount of teams who register, the tournament will be hosted in either a Round Robin or Double Elimination format.
  • 3-4 Teams: Round Robin
  • 5-9 Teams: Double Elimination
  • 9+ Teams: Single Elimination

And the Team Format can be played using any regular WBO Organized Play Format: Standard, Zero-G, Limited, Plastics, or HMS.

"Team BeyBattles"
The Team Format introduces a new concept known as the "Team BeyBattle".
  • Each "Team BeyBattle" will consist of three regular best 3 out of 5 BeyBattles.
  • The team with the most round wins (which means a maximum of 9 "points" for a team if they won all three BeyBattles 3-0) will be the victor of that particular round. This means that two strong Bladers won't necessarily be able to carry one weak Blader on their team.
  • Each Blader will play one BeyBattle against one of the opposing three team members.

For example:

Team A: Kei, Blader DJ, The Boss
Team B: Kai-V, rooneyt, bugturtles

Kei vs. bugturtles - Kei Wins 3-2
Blader DJ vs. Kai-V - Blader DJ Wins 3-0
The Boss vs. rooneyt - rooneyt Wins 3-1

Final Score: 7-5 Team A

Before each BeyBattle begins, teams will have a brief period to decide who is playing that particular round. When both teams confirm they are ready, the judge will ask for both Bladers to step forward to the Beystadium. If at that point a player from one team does not advance in an effort to see who they will be playing against, an automatic BeyBattle loss will be issued to the offending team.

What happens in the case of a tie?
Here's another example:

Team A: Beholder, Uwik, Khel
Team B: SK, Alice, Bey Brad

Beholder vs. Bey Brad - Beholder Wins 3-2
Uwik vs. Alice - Uwik Wins 3-1
SK vs. Khel - SK Wins 3-0

Final Score: 6-6

In this case, one final BeyBattle will be played to determine the winner. However, the opposing teams will select the member that represents their opponent in the tiebreak. Each team will select a member, the Captains will notify the judge privately, and then the judge will announce the match up.

Team Size: Unlimited!
Teams must play in groups of three during Team Format tournaments, but this doesn't mean that teams are limited to three Bladers!
  • Teams are unlimited in size, but can have only one Captain.
  • Teams can be represented anywhere globally. For example: Team Kai-V can play in an event in the UK against Team Blitz, with members who have been approved by Team Captain Kai-V.
  • Teams, and individual Bladers may only participate in one Team Format event per month. This means that Team Kai-V cannot play in an event in both Montreal and the UK on the same week, for example.
  • If the Team Captain is not present to participate in a given tournament, a "provisional Captain" must be designated for that tournament to represent his/her team.
  • If new team members are representing a pre-existing team in a tournament, they must ask the Team Captain to PM the host to inform them that they have been approved to join their team and represent them.

"But I don't have a team!"
Don't worry! If you plan on attending a Team Format tournament but do not have a team, simply register yourself and we will find team member(s) for you from other players who have registered by themselves, or as groups of two.

Additionally, don't forget that we also have a Team Forum! You can try looking for team members there.

Team Format and the BeyPoint System
All individual BeyBattles played within the Team Format will be processed within the BeyPoint System as any BeyBattle in a normal tournament would be.

Team Format and Faces/Credits
Winning team members of Team Format tournaments will receive the brand new Triple Crown Face [Image: TripleCrown-Face.png]! All three team members who participated in a specific Team Format tournament will receive the Face.

Winning team members will also receive +2 Credits for winning the tournament, in addition to participation and majority win Credits.

Pilot Event
For now, Team Format is currently still in the experimental stage. As a result, particular details may change before it is officially introduced for use by hosts around the world. However, as a way of testing the format we have decided to use BEY OR DIE, our upcoming event at Unplugged Expo as the pilot event for the format!:

[Image: ErMrCcR.png]

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2014
Unplugged Expo 2014 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chestnut Conference Centre - ELM Room
Register Now
STANDARD FORMAT - Team Variant

If you're able to make it up to Toronto, you won't want to miss this! Come prepared with your team to be a part of history as some of the first participants in the first ever WBO Team Format event! For more details please visit the:

Official Thread!
... :o

Woah.

That's... the COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!

Oh my goodness, I cannot WAIT to try this out.

#TeamGTWorldDomination
This is amazing! How soon can we hope to expect regular tournament areas to have teams? And finally a certain use for that team forum!
Awesome news, seems interesting and I can't wait to hopefully try out this format eventually. Can't wait to see how Bey or Die goes with the format. This must've taken multiple messages to decide all this within the committee.
Wow, this is awesome news. Finally, actual Team battles.

I guess my BeyBlazers topic wasn't a waste, haha.
One question - why exactly does the opposing team decide which of your players will represent you in a tiebraker?
Finally!!!!!!!!! But I got a question. This might be stupid but, for me to register my team does this mean I have to take a flight to Canada or will this be all over the world like New York? I'm not coming to Canada anytime soon so I don't know if I can register.
(Aug. 26, 2014  3:26 AM)TʜᴇBʟᴀᴄᴋDʀᴀɢᴏɴ Wrote: One question - why exactly does the opposing team decide which of your players will represent you in a tiebraker?

Opposing teams will probably choose whoever they think the weakest Blader is; this means that two strong Bladers cannot expect to carry a team by themselves. Everyone has to be equally prepared.

Supreme Dragon Wrote:Finally!!!!!!!!! But I got a question. This might be stupid but, for me to register my team does this mean I have to take a flight to Canada or will this be all over the world like New York? I'm not coming to Canada anytime soon so I don't know if I can register.

It means you register your team with the host when you are participating in a Team Format tournament, whether that be in Canada, New York, or anywhere else in the world. The format is being tested at BEY OR DIE in Canada this September for now as the pilot event so that we can be sure that everything works the way it should, but then afterwards we will open it up to all communities around the world!
This is pretty cool. Kinda worried about OP Teams, but hey, it happens.
Well this is interesting and I definitely didn't see this coming. Look at all the people reading the thread too, haha.

I'm interested to see how the pilot event turns out. What happens if two groups of three from the same team face each other? I mean I know it will play out like any normal battle in real life but for rankings and stuff how would that work? Or can you only have one group of three per team per event?
This should be fun. Glad I already have a team hah.
Holy carp.
Didn't expect that.
Again; would be great if I were Canadian >.>
(Aug. 26, 2014  3:37 AM)Wombat Wrote: Well this is interesting and I definitely didn't see this coming. Look at all the people reading the thread too, haha.

I'm interested to see how the pilot event turns out. What happens if two groups of three from the same team face each other? I mean I know it will play out like any normal battle in real life but for rankings and stuff how would that work? Or can you only have one group of three per team per event?

There was 27 when it was first posted haha.

Kei Wrote:
  • Teams may only participate in one Team Format event per month. This means that Team Kai-V cannot play in an event in both Montreal and the UK on the same week, for example.

This means that it is impossible for the same team to be represented twice in the same event. The main purpose of allowing an unlimited size for teams is to allow themselves to be represented in different regions around the world.
Woahwoahwoahwoah oh my god this is like my dream come true. Hopefully the next time I'm back in CT I'll be able to partake in this new format.

Looks like CT will have at least two teams, since Leone19 and I both want to be captains haha
Amazing!!! I wish there were tournaments/bladers in San Fransisco. I still don't understand the beyblattles all that much.
OMGBBG OMGBBG OMGBBG This is awsome!!!!!!! finally my dream format came to a real new official format! i am so going to BOD, i am going to look for team members right nowJoyful_3
Thinking of my team already haha
(Aug. 26, 2014  3:49 AM)Kei Wrote:
Kei Wrote:
  • Teams may only participate in one Team Format event per month. This means that Team Kai-V cannot play in an event in both Montreal and the UK on the same week, for example.

This means that it is impossible for the same team to be represented twice in the same event. The main purpose of allowing an unlimited size for teams is to allow themselves to be represented in different regions around the world.
Oh, ok, that makes sense. I guess I was just interpreting the "one Team Format event per month" wrong.

Another question: If the teams play in groups of three, but the team has more than three members, will they be able to swap them out in between matches but not battles (like the rule with switching Beyblades, not in between rounds but in between battles)? Or does each team register as a set group of three at the beginning of the tournament, that can't be changed throughout the event?

For example, if A, B, C, and D are on the same team, will only three of them be able to register at the beginning of the event, or all four of them? If all four of them can enter as a team, can they have A, B, and C play in the first match, and A, B, and D play in the second?

Sorry if the answers to these are really obvious and I'm missing something. I went over the OP a few more times and nothing really seemed to jump out at me.
(Aug. 26, 2014  4:06 AM)Wombat Wrote: Another question: If the teams play in groups of three, but the team has more than three members, will they be able to swap them out in between matches but not battles (like the rule with switching Beyblades, not in between rounds but in between battles)? Or does each team register as a set group of three at the beginning of the tournament, that can't be changed throughout the event?

It's the latter.
This team format is so exciting! Too bad i probably can't make it to B.O.D.
This changes everything :0
(Aug. 26, 2014  4:22 AM)LMAO Wrote: This changes everything :0

Basically.
I wonder; could this spark anyone in My Area?
Although, there's only one "active" member besides me.
I'd just need to wing it with friends 0.o
Exciting huh? I bet you guys feel that Sept 27th can't come soon enough to try this new format. Get your Event Proposal rolling for October!
GET HYPE FOR TEAM BATTLES, still have no idea who I would want on my team... LMAO and Jesse why couldn't y'all live closer!
This can work if echizen and I create a Texas VS Louisiana Tourney VS someone else? Btw are u able to do just 2 teams?