IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Massive changes to the BeyPoint System

(Jul. 02, 2009  6:54 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: If they can't get Paypal, they can still buy a WBO Passport at any WBO event with cash.

If you don't have a Passport, you will have to pay $5 for any tournament you enter.

Battles in a tournament will still be recorded the exact same way they always have been ...

I hadn't known if you were going to change the system so that only members with passports would show up or something. That was my reasoning. XD Thanks, though. Smile
(Jul. 02, 2009  6:57 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: I hadn't known if you were going to change the system so that only members with passports would show up or something. That was my reasoning. XD Thanks, though. Smile

You clearly have not read the announcement, then ...
(Jul. 02, 2009  6:59 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: You clearly have not read the announcement, then ...

I just read it again. It never really specified. It never said anything about any changes, though, so I guess it's just my mind wondering again. XD Sorry.
(Jul. 01, 2009  6:07 PM)Khel Wrote: Look at the prize list for HPT.

Guess who is paying for it. Me and Kei out of our own pocket; this site and it's operations cost money, and it cannot sustain itself for very long without sufficient funding.

We are charging people to enter the tournament. The WBO tournaments are the places to have ranked battles.

It defeats the purpose of having the ranking system in the first place. Yes, it was for competitive players, but it was also to get new players into playing competitively. Now, not only do they have to have friends who blade and meet up with them, now they need 9 people, they need a paypal, they need MFB or good plastics, they need a good condition takara stadium, and they to pay 10$. I don't see how this isn't counterproductive.

If the prizes cost so much to you personally then it is your choice to make. You can charge to have a WBO tournament, because it is a WBO, but if other people want to have a tournament with a little less publicity, asking for a cover charge is not the way to ensure that there are enough people. We try to host our own tournaments, where we follow all rules and regulations set by the WBO, but now we are told that that is not good enough. If we all pay our dues, I want you to be the one to orginize the place, time, people, food, prizes, rain-dates, transportation, and record keeping. I have done everything I can out of my pocket to get enough people in my city to be able to do tournaments. I have done all of the things on that list either by myself, or with the help of friends. Yes, the points matter for Pride and that is why they are there. But it hurts me to know that there wont be a tournament now, because the resource we use as a guideline to prove ourselves amongst others in the world,is now asking for money because of the time and money they put in. I may have not done it on the same scale, but where is my money for similar efforts?

Edit: And I hope no one is to afraid to agree with me.
Go make a website, host it for 10 months, get over 1000 members. Then you get your money.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:06 PM)Giga Wrote: Go make a website, host it for 10 months, get over 1000 members. Then you get your money.
I have a feeling that someone is missing a point, and being to literal.
Quote:It defeats the purpose of having the ranking system in the first place. Yes, it was for competitive players, but it was also to get new players into playing competitively. Now, not only do they have to have friends who blade and meet up with them, now they need 9 people, they need a paypal, they need MFB or good plastics, they need a good condition takara stadium, and they to pay 10$. I don't see how this isn't counterproductive.

How can you call it "playing competitively" if the rankings are not competitive at all due to abuse of the system? This was always going to happen anyway, it's just happening sooner than I would've liked it to. You can still play Beyblade without being ranked.

Furthermore, you keep trying to tell me what the purpose of BeyPoints is. Newflash: I invented the system. I'm fully aware of what it's supposed to do, which is to provide a comprehensive, competitive ranking system for Bladers around the world. I tried the honor system but it simply doesn't work.

Again, you seem to feel as if you have this inalienable right to have as many ranked matches as you possibly can. To be completely honest with you, once MFB is released on a wider scale, I expect to cut out free battles entirely. The only reason I ever allowed them was because there was no active Beyblade community, but we're running more and more events in more places so I think this is feasible now. Unfortunately, not everyone can participate, but it's impossible to please everyone. The WBO has loads of stuff available to everyone.

Quote:If the prizes cost so much to you personally then it is your choice to make. You can charge to have a WBO tournament, because it is a WBO, but if other people want to have a tournament with a little less publicity, asking for a cover charge is not the way to ensure that there are enough people.

You don't have to have a WBO tournament. We're not forcing you to charge for anything. However, if you want us to publicize the tournament and process all of the rankings, you have to pay the dues associated with it. We can't really update the BeyPoint scores if there isn't a website to update them on, can we?

Quote:But it hurts me to know that there wont be a tournament now, because the resource we use as a guideline to prove ourselves amongst others in the world,is now asking for money because of the time and money they put in. I may have not done it on the same scale, but where is my money for similar efforts?

Your right, it is not on a similar scale at all. By the way, if you'd like to know how much money I make from this, the answer is NONE. I am still going to lose money on this to keep doing what I want to do. However, now that we're actually bringing in money -- and here is a shock -- we can actually reimburse you for some of your costs!

If Takara-Tomy or Hasbro were sponsoring us, it'd be a different story. But they're not. All unofficial tournaments for all games have to charge some sort of entry fee to recoup their losses, and ours are incredibly cheap compared to most.

But you wouldn't take our money. That would go against your principles, right?

It's obvious to me now that you're just being petty and whining because you somehow feel we're mistreating you. In that case, just stop running WBO tournaments if you have that much of a problem with it. You'll give up our ranking system, our prizes, our publicity, and all the other services, but you have to pick one or the other. You want us to give you everything and ask for nothing back.

I've been running Beyblade tournaments for six years now, and I run the WBO essentially as a full-time job, so please don't try to compare your tiny tournaments to what I'm doing here. I appreciate everyone who volunteers their time to the WBO, but that's just what it is -- voluntary. If you have that big of a problem with us, disassociate yourself.

Quote:Edit: And I hope no one is to afraid to agree with me.

I somehow feel that this isn't the reason people won't agree with you.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:15 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I somehow feel that this isn't the reason people won't agree with you.

Actually........
And finally he responds...
Now that you have built up full dislike for me I will say this: I can't even imagine what you have put in to all of this. I'd probably have given up eons ago. Having a tiny taste of what it takes to get the littilest thing orginized, I now know that it is worth it in the end. I am not going to be able to change your decisions, because you rule this entire website, and people probably worship you. The sacrifices are unimaginable, but I hope that this change will not be as counterproductive and injuring as I prdict. New sites will form, and they could start out the same way yours did, virtually free of charge, and easy to use. It is inevitable that rules will be broken, and burdens to much to carry without cost. I will drop this now and leave it alone. I will pay for a beypass, and find ways to stay involved. I may even try to travel and show up at tournaments. I am still the same as I was a few days ago. But here's a quote I have read in the past, "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. If you win, you are still retarted." Well we are all still dorks, but now a little angrier at a kid hundreds of miles away for having a differing opinion.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:30 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: Actually........

If you're scared, that isn't my problem. Nobody has been warned or suspended or banned for voicing their opinion on this. Just responded to.

If you guys hate the new policies so much, don't use the system. That simple.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:31 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: If you're scared, that isn't my problem. Nobody has been warned or suspended or banned for voicing their opinion on this. Just responded to.

If you guys hate the new policies so much, don't use the system. That simple.

fragbait doesn't agree.

I agree with what Pepe just posted, though.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:31 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: If you're scared, that isn't my problem. Nobody has been warned or suspended or banned for voicing their opinion on this. Just responded to.

Unfortunatly I have heard differently. Consequences can occur big or small.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:31 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: The sacrifices are unimaginable, but I hope that this change will not be as counterproductive and injuring as I prdict.

You should clarify what you mean by this. Do you mean restarting the Beypoints system is unimaginable, and do you really believe you know better than someone who has years of experience doing this sort of thing?
Pepe, seems like your being difficult for the hell of it. Please stop it.
Finally I respond? Sorry for, um, showering and eating. I responded like twenty minutes after you posted.

Quote:"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. If you win, you are still retarted."

This is so inappropriate and completely untrue. Arguing on the internet is just as valid as arguing through any other medium. If messages on the internet are so worthless, why join a message board?

As for the rest of what you said ...

Quote:The sacrifices are unimaginable, but I hope that this change will not be as counterproductive and injuring as I prdict.

Considering how long I have been essentially sustaining the Beyblade community, I think I have a better idea of this than you do.

Quote:New sites will form, and they could start out the same way yours did, virtually free of charge, and easy to use. It is inevitable that rules will be broken, and burdens to much to carry without cost.

This site is still easy to use and free of charge. What isn't free is entering competitive events and being eligible to win prizes because of it. I've addressed the reasons why and comparisons to other groups, but you've just ignored them and said "BUT I DON'T LIKE PAYING MONEY FOR THINGS."

So far, I've addressed every criticism laid out against this new plan, and nobody has offered me a compelling reason as to why this is a bad idea other than some people not wanting to part with ten dollars. Mow a lawn or something.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:35 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: fragbait doesn't agree.

There was a lot more going on with fragbait than just this. We'd talked about canceling the event for over a month now. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

(Jul. 02, 2009  8:35 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: Unfortunatly I have heard differently. Consequences can occur big or small.

Gossip is so reliable.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:35 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: Unfortunatly I have heard differently. Consequences can occur big or small.

Name some names, in that case.
Brandonk

(jkjkjkjk)
No one has, seriously. Get over it.
(Jul. 02, 2009  8:37 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Finally I respond? Sorry for, um, showering and eating. I responded like twenty minutes after you posted.

He meant me.

Also, I was only going by what fragbait has just told me. I don't have any idea why he would lie, though. :\
Lawn is mowed, finished my babysitting for the day, and house is clean. It's not the ten dollars. Say I started a cafe where people can come and use their computers at my WiFi. Then I tell them that they need to buy a special transmitter so they can use their computers. Then I tell them that if they want to use the chairs and tables at the cafe, they would have to pay an extra price. Then I tell them that if they want to use the internet, they also need new computers because theirs are now out dated. Then I say that they will now have to pay to use the new special internet, but if they dont want to pay they can still use a computer anyway, because it has been getting more and more expensive to run the cafe. I am now telling people who dont want to play to go home and use their own internet.

I started out glad that I could just use my good old beyblades from the old days. Then I found out I needed to buy a stadium to make battles legal, so I bought it. Then I found out that if I wanted to make a tournament, I'd have to orginize more people. Then I found out that if I orginize a tournament, I have to tell people to pay $5 or $10 each if they want to get recognized for following all the rules and guidelines they would be following anyway. Then I find out that soon my old plastics will be worthless and I will have to buy new ones. Now I find out that I will need to pay yearly to get some extra stuff that I had no problem providing for myself anyway. We figured out a way to enter all the battles from the tourny too. Well face value is tough to judge sometimes.

Edit: The new system is just fine. It accomplishes everything you want it to do. It helps you keep the site running. I am cheap, and I have cheap friends.
Your cafe analogy is completely not the same thing ... it's completely idiotic. Don't insult me and the other members here by saying something like that.

Just go run your own tournaments away from us. All of your complaints are just really ridiculous.

Quote:I am cheap, and I have cheap friends.

Glad you finally came out and said it.

I just looked at your profile. Are you seriously 17? Amazing.
(Jul. 02, 2009  9:21 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Your cafe analogy is completely not the same thing ... it's completely idiotic. Don't insult me and the other members here by saying something like that.

Just go run your own tournaments away from us. All of your complaints are just really ridiculous.

Glad you finally came out and said it.

I just looked at your profile. Are you seriously 17? Amazing.

I think I'll stay. You'll get my bladerpass money within the next 2-3 weeks probably. Maybe even money passes from the 8 other FWB members who haven't paid and use the site...maybe. I plan on being at War Room next year, and this winter I have a few oppertunities to travel. I hope you and everyone else can avoid adding any more additional expenses to keep the site up until MFB comes out in the U.S.
Dropped and done Cute
Quote:I started out glad that I could just use my good old beyblades from the old days.

You still can.

Quote:Then I found out I needed to buy a stadium to make battles legal, so I bought it.

This was never a secret, it's outlined very clearly.

Quote: Then I found out that if I wanted to make a tournament, I'd have to orginize more people.

Yes. You need a certain amount of people to hold a tournament. This holds true for any game. Three or four people is just a gathering, not a tournament.

Quote:Then I found out that if I orginize a tournament, I have to tell people to pay $5 or $10 each if they want to get recognized for following all the rules and guidelines they would be following anyway.

Yes. We have to charge an entry fee to recoup our costs and to award prizes.

Quote:Then I find out that soon my old plastics will be worthless and I will have to buy new ones.

Not sure what you mean by this. Your plastics still do the same things they did when you bought them. MFB was already out when you joined here. You have to buy new products in any competitive hobby to stay competitive. AFAIK we've never announced any plans to drop support for legacy systems -- and while we're definitely moving away from them into the new system (as we should be), I don't ever plan on dropping legacy.

Quote:Now I find out that I will need to pay yearly to get some extra stuff that I had no problem providing for myself anyway.

No, you don't have to do anything. You can keep playing Beyblade without any of our services. You are not entitled to anything for free. If it's not worth it to you, don't pay. First you complain about spending your own money, now you say you had no problem providing for yourself. So which is it?

Quote:We figured out a way to enter all the battles from the tourny too.

Yes, you've been doing all you can to circumvent our policies and abuse our system to get everything you can without giving anything back. I'm well aware of it.
hey guys if it makes u happier ill playin and hostin a tournament on august 15 state here's for more information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s1lE5cmjlI
(Jul. 02, 2009  9:36 PM)kayblader Wrote: hey guys if it makes u happier ill playin and hostin a tournament on august 15 state here's for more information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s1lE5cmjlI

This is not the topic for that sort of thing.
Here is a comparison. Go to a card shop for a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament. Then, when they ask you to pay the entry fee, I want you to say, "No! What!? I just want to play for fun! This isn't fair, why should I have to pay you to enter a tournament!?"

They will laugh you out of there.

As I said, WARI BEY Association in Japan charges as much to enter a single tournament as we do for a yearly membership. We are not asking anything unreasonable at all. You want so much for so little. Anyone who is really this upset about having to pay probably isn't that concerned with playing Beyblade "competitively" anyway.