IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Massive changes to the BeyPoint System

reply 101 Smile
(Jul. 02, 2009  11:38 PM)metal slash Wrote: reply 101 Smile

Don't spam.
OK, I'm sorry, I know I should leave this alone but I have to say something.

I've never hesitated to send off the money to pay the monthly bills for this site. I've never hesitated to pay the developers that do our custom work for us, regardless of how expensive it was. I've never hesitated to run events and order supplies for them.

So to see you guys fussing so much over $10 is so weird.
Seriously people, did it ever occur to anyone that with the impending release of BMF the previous system would not work? The results would get so incredibly skewed and convoluted that the point of having a system to rank players would be defunct.

Once BMF is fully released tournaments will increase in size and number. To be able to manage such an increase there needs to be a system that is organized and developed in such a manner that it can accommodate the capacity change. The new refinements allow the WBO to do so.

Set stadium choices, defined rules, and limited situations where points can be obtained are all part of creating a competitive system that works. This is basic operations management. The addition of tournament fees was not the focus of this announcement; it was there for a bit and no one was throwing this much of a hissy fit. We are limiting ranked battles to tournaments, so that upon release such victories are not rendered meaningless due to people grinding other players for points.

People whined about the lack of a competitive scene previously when the game was released. They wanted tournaments. Now that the game is going to hit abroad within a year Brad is trying to create a system which should have matured by then. Unfortunately people forget that there isn't a single competitive game, hobby, or sport in the world that does not cost money or have set standards.

There are no free lunches in this world, everything costs money. And if you are too daft to understand this basic fact, forgive me for saying you are royally screwed for the rest of your life financially.
i can see where brads coming from, he's spends quite abit to keep this site up for us yet alot of you are worried about $10 A YEAR, thats not even $2 a month
Don't worry Brad, it's not your fault, but can anyone tell me if the uk summersmash is still happning?
This is in no way the right topic for this. Why don't you check the actual Summer Smash topic? D:
(Jul. 03, 2009  10:42 PM)Zero360 Wrote: Don't worry Brad, it's not your fault, but can anyone tell me if the uk summersmash is still happning?

Why don't you check the UK Summer Smash thread and it also tells you on the homepage of this site :\
Just a note, fragbait's event wasn't canceled because of his posts in this thread. It was a unanimous decision made by the Committee based on a culmination of events and personal details that we cannot get into. Simply put, we did not think he was competent enough to run an event, and that he would not be a good representation of us.

Regarding out-of-tournament ranked battles, the new policy is:

3 battles per pair maximum per month
9 total battles per month

Also, winners of battles in tournaments will be awarded with a Victory Bonus that multiplies the points they get for winning. It will not be available outside of tournaments.

If you guys have any questions or concerns please feel free to post them and they will be addressed. However, I'd prefer to not retread ground that we've already been over, so please make sure your issue has not been addressed already. Smile Thanks.
i dont realy see how these points can determin whos the best cause theres always gonna be someone better but might not have so many points T_T
Then the person who's better needs to go and battle more people.

And if you say that there is no one there to play, you can't really claim to be better Wink
(Jul. 04, 2009  1:28 PM)heero yuy Wrote: i dont realy see how these points can determin whos the best cause theres always gonna be someone better but might not have so many points T_T

This system is to rank a defined group of people who meet an predetermined outline set by (us). You can make your own ranking system and be the top member if you want. No one is being forced to rank in the WBO system. It is, however- an option, and a choice.
(Jul. 04, 2009  9:15 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Just a note, fragbait's event wasn't canceled because of his posts in this thread. It was a unanimous decision made by the Committee based on a culmination of events and personal details that we cannot get into. Simply put, we did not think he was competent enough to run an event, and that he would not be a good representation of us.

Regarding out-of-tournament ranked battles, the new policy is:

3 battles per pair maximum per month
9 total battles per month

Also, winners of battles in tournaments will be awarded with a Victory Bonus that multiplies the points they get for winning. It will not be available outside of tournaments.

If you guys have any questions or concerns please feel free to post them and they will be addressed. However, I'd prefer to not retread ground that we've already been over, so please make sure your issue has not been addressed already. Smile Thanks.

Sounds good to me. I like the vistory bonus Tongue_out
Well, we wanted to give more of an incentive to people to organize and attend events. Plus, in a tournament setting, you can't choose your opponent, so it makes sense to give a bonus for that. It will probably be about 1.5x.
(Jul. 04, 2009  9:13 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Well, we wanted to give more of an incentive to people to organize and attend events. Plus, in a tournament setting, you can't choose your opponent, so it makes sense to give a bonus for that. It will probably be about 1.5x.

Yeah. It's good you decided to add it. It should help. 1.5x is pretty nice.
how can I get tournaments in my area theres no one near me that blade it realy stinks except for my brother and he bairly does as much as me
can't help you much on that one. The only thing to do is get people interested in beyblade and start a tournament in your area, or go to the nearest tournament that is posted here.
It is strange that a topic of beypionts turned into tournament suggestions
not really. because the system changes allow unlimited free battling and bonuses at tournaments, i think tournament frequency/availability is a genuine concern.

beyblades 2010: My advice is do what you can with what you have. Battle your bro and practice [especially beylauncher wise] and when fall 2010 comes around, prepare to obliterate. (:

A 1.5X bonus? sounds epic.
Effective July 1, 2009, the WBO changed its policies regarding BeyPoints and tournaments. From that date, only players with subscriptions to Blader Passports ($10 USD/year) can collect BeyPoints outside of WBO events. In addition to that, the out-of-event battle limit is now 9 battles, with a maximum of 3 against the same Blader, per month. In addition to that, all WBO events now charge entry fees of $5 USD (if you have a Blader Passport, entry is free).

"Wait, you're charging money to earn BeyPoints even if I don't go to events?"

Effectively, yes. We decided to do this for several reasons, the most prominent one being the ability to verify that players are not cheating. There were so many players using fake accounts to increase their BeyPoints. This way, we can track which accounts belong to who, along with making cheating prohibitively expensive.

The only other option to make sure there was no cheating was to simply ban ranked battles outside of WBO events, and while that may be viable in the future, Beyblade isn't widespread enough right now for us to do that. Once Beyblade launches worldwide late 2010, we will revisit that idea.

Now that we can verify that all results are indeed real, we can begin giving out prizes for BeyPoint rankings -- which is where this money goes!

Running the WBO is not a cheap project. Tournaments require supplies and other costs, the website costs money to keep running every month, new software development to make the site better costs money ... the WBO costs thousands of dollars a year to do properly. I want to make the WBO the best experience it can possibly be.

Of course, the site is still free for everyone, so you can still come and discuss Beyblade with everyone. However, in every game, competitive play costs money. We're not sponsored by Hasbro or Takara-Tomy, so this is the only way we can make money we need to keep running.

To give more incentive to Bladers to form or attend WBO events, in addition to the prizes and Faces you can gain by going, Bladers who win BeyBattles will gain a Victory Bonus to their BeyPoints!

In August, we'll be installing a new BeyPoints system to make tracking everything easier. Until then, the BeyPoints system has been disabled. We'll continue to run events over the summer, but scores won't be reflected until then. In addition to this, all players scores will be reset to 1000.

In essence, this is a "rebirth" of the BeyPoint system to be fairer, more enjoyable, and more rewarding. As we head into the next era of Beyblade, let's continue to build the worldwide Beyblade community with all our heart!
I think you mean reset to 1000. Not 100.
Now just a silly question, chances are it's a "no". But is there any way for bladers outside japan etc. to exchange their points for prizes (eg quetzacoatl)? Just seems like I'll be accumulating the points for naught if there isn't some way.
Do you mean Beypoints on the WBO or Beypoints on your Beypointer? They're separate things you know.
Beypointers are pretty much useless over here and you can't exchange those points outside of Japan.
Beypoints on the WBO cannot be exchanged for anything even if you do live in Japan. In fact, they're used more by people who don't live in Japan. At the moment the only things you can get from having Beypoints on the WBO are faces and happiness though god (well, Brad) only knows what will happen in the future. We at least often have prizes at events if you can make them.
Hmm, I see. That's fair enough. I just hope a northern UK tournament will eventually be hosted. Paying £290 (USD $471) just to stay overnight in London for one afternoon of blading is a little too high for me.