IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Massive changes to the BeyPoint System

Quote:I partly believe that people shouldn't have to pay to get their battles ranked, but looking at it from a logical point of view, by making the pass mandatory for free rank battling does more good than bad.

Mostly, I agree that people shouldn't have to pay to have their battles ranked. Unfortunately, this isn't a corporate website, so everything we do costs money, and it has to come from somewhere. We're hitting two birds with one stone here in preventing cheating and raising funds. I'd love to start mailing out prizes to people who do well in the rankings. Grin

Quote:The top bladers have been hit hardest, with the scores reverting and such. But honestly, nobody dies because of this. It helps a bit because the elite are knocked from their high rankings [not to sound cruel, i know you guys battled hard for those points] and gives the rest of the community a whack at them.

Many of the Bladers near the top were there because of grinding battles, not because they were placing well in a competitive atmosphere. It's one of the main factors in this decision, as well. Now players who do well consistently will be rewarded, rather than just those who play a lot.

Quote:Also, the fact that the WBO is getting custom made software shows how awesome we're becoming.

Just FYI, the current BeyPoints software was also custom work. But this new system will be way better.

Quote:@ Brad: Wouldn't it be awesome if you [personally] got something equivalent to tax receipts or something for all the work/cash you put into WBO? I think it's unlikely, but would be awesome.

I wish. Grin

And just a note, the unofficial Beyblade group in Japan, WARIBEY Association, charges ¥700 to enter a tournament. So, I don't think our fees are bad at all. Grin
I see your points. Just a shame both need passports. Oh well, it doesn't matter that much, I guess.
Hm, I have to agree and like this idea, it seems solid enough and hopefully my money would have gone into Paypal so i can buy a Passport before the 4th but if it doesn't then i guess it doesn't matter all that much. Also, the updates sound like they will be great so can't wait for that one, I wonder if my computer will be ok with it though. :\
Im looking foward to thge new software system myself, I know when the site went from beywiki to the wbo that it was an incredible change and I'm sure this upcoming one will be too, nice work Brad Grin
This is crazy! Since when did the beypoints matter so much that you are now charging money to the kids who want to do this as a side hobby. This red tape is not needed at all. Changing the beypoint system is ok, but practically forcing people to travel to tournaments, or forcing them to pay because you only want the people who are on the site daily to be the only ones involved with the point system, its just mean. LET US BATTLE FREE OF CHARGE! You may tell me that I can leave the site and do my own battles, but this site is a tool that can be utilized to expand interest in the hobby. Making this more difficult to get involved in will just discourage new members. Isn't the point for this to help people gain interest in the hobby? I am extremely dissapointed that you feel that everyone will now be charged money because you are letting immature people cheat in a point system that is just for fun bother you.
So you would rather let people cheat?
You want to have ranked battles, only to rank against people that have unfairly gained their points?
Where is the fun in that? You try to make new combos, pratice techniques and whatnot, gradually make your way up the system only to be bested by a whole load of basically fake accounts. To be under the people that grind down the new bladers you speak of. There's no fun in that. It's actually pretty depressing.
And it's hardly professional to let such an unbalanced system continue in that way.....although it may sound a little extreme, I'd rather have no Beypoints than a mess of cheating and such (may just be my opinion though).

Plus you have tourneys near you so why complain so? :\
(Jul. 01, 2009  4:20 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: This is crazy! Since when did the beypoints matter so much that you are now charging money to the kids who want to do this as a side hobby. This red tape is not needed at all. Changing the beypoint system is ok, but practically forcing people to travel to tournaments, or forcing them to pay because you only want the people who are on the site daily to be the only ones involved with the point system, its just mean. LET US BATTLE FREE OF CHARGE! You may tell me that I can leave the site and do my own battles, but this site is a tool that can be utilized to expand interest in the hobby. Making this more difficult to get involved in will just discourage new members. Isn't the point for this to help people gain interest in the hobby? I am extremely dissapointed that you feel that everyone will now be charged money because you are letting immature people cheat in a point system that is just for fun bother you.
You do not have five or ten dollars to give ?

Really, this is the only manner in which we can discourage people from cheating, from what I can see. A lot of good points were made previously in this topic, so you should simply go read them ...
Professional? Just like any other thing on the internet, be it W.O.W., runescape, neopets, everything will have people who are unfair. I just dont want to tell new people that they will have a cover charge and have to read through a lot of rules, because there are people who take a pointsystem way to seriously.

Make your own point system, those of you who care so much! I had the lowest points of all of my friends, and you know what; I didn't even care. If you could have been there you would have remembered that this is about fun, and that the beypoints are just a way of saying "look what I did," not "I need to find people to beat so that I can be ahead of a guy who has beaten the same guy 50 times straight."

Main advice: if the beypoints really matters so much then have a seperate system for those who think they are "professional." Reopen the old system, and then have the one for the people who really want to prove they are the best have their own private one. I dont care if you want to prove yourself, just let those of us who want to keep going with what we do, keep doing it.

(Jul. 01, 2009  4:41 PM)Kai-V Wrote: You do not have five or ten dollars to give ?

Really, this is the only manner in which we can discourage people from cheating, from what I can see. A lot of good points were made previously in this topic, so you should simply go read them ...

This is about this being FREE! I want to encourage others to join! This isn't about $5

Edit: Yes I read 'em, and I understand them.
(Jul. 01, 2009  4:49 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: This is about this being FREE! I want to encourage others to join! This isn't about $5
How is it not about the five dollars ? Your distaste towards this not being free is the same thing as your distaste for having to pay five or ten dollars for this ...

If you are not serious about the Beypoint system, why do you bother ? We will have one system, for those who want to know how they rank amongst other players. If you want to play only for fun, as you say, then Beypoints do not matter, because they are essentially a way to know how good you are compared to other beybladers. Why would you want to be ranked in these circumstances ?
Forgive me pepe, but I disagree with you on several points. Right now, the WBO beypoint system is really the only thing the competitive blading community has in terms of ranking. It may be "just for fun" but letting people cheat does nothing but defeat the whole purpose of the ranking system. It's sad to say, but charging for the blader pass is really the most effective way to keep cheaters out of the system. Whereas you are correct in saying the charge might deter some members, it's not like you are denied membership if you don't get a passport. I'm pretty sure what would discourage potentially serious members would be if we left our ranking system open to cheaters, ultimately giving the ranks no value at all. Nobody's telling you to leave the site, just no game can really be fun if cheaters are allowed to...well, cheat.
In all honesty, you're in a a position alot better than me, you and the FWB could easily get together and have tourneys among yourselves [correct me if i'm wrong] Brad has even made it so you don't have to have prizes at tourneys now.
Here in brampton it's basically just me and Ransack. and while i somewhat resent having to pay for the right to battle him five times a month, i know doing so helps the community.

If the fact that we are a serious community dedicated to this hobby, and that we don't wish to see it's worth tarnished by people that would abuse our system doesn't attract people to this organization, then are they really the people we'd want here anyway? The forums are enough to promote the hobby.

Don't worry about interest. Next year it'll be released with the anime, It'll be mainstream, so no worries.

Edit: "Quote Make your own point system, those of you who care so much! "
We have our own point system.
It's called the beypoint system
And we wish to keep it clean.
kthxbai
Haha, I really don't consider myself a professional blader.....I like to know my combos and such but I could care less if I was ranked at the bottom of the scoreboard. But even then, I'd still be upset with cheating and such. I wouldn't want to be part of something corrupt.... and I believe if you're going to do something you should do it properly. None of this half-assed stuff unless it's something that only effects you. Which the Beypoint system isn't. It's something that we're all a part of so it should be done properly.

If, for you, it's just about fun times and saying 'look what I did' then you should be content with just faces and whatever cups you may make and just being with friends and talking about victories on the boards.

And you don't 'find people to beat'. That's the wrong kinda attitude....you find people to play with and if you beat them then even better. If you intentionally seek out weaker players then you don't really deserve the points.

We're not stopping people having battles for free, for fun, at home. By all means encourage others to join and battle. If they want to be competitive then they can pay the fee, if not then no-ones gonna force them and they can still have fun battling otherwise. Plus, as it is, the fee is pretty much non-existant. $5-10 shouldn't stop anyone who wants to join and play, joining and playing. :\
I see Pepes position, however he does have FWB so, it's allitle hypocritical. The main thing is, I'd like to play profesionally, but unless we see an increase of tourneys then this isn't going to work. And I'm a cheap bugger who has no money lol. Luckily, this will encourage me to get to tourneys more and more. Does seem allittle harsh but whatevs.
I have had to butted heads with the mods on this site since the beginning. They do a great job, but I have tripped up on accident a few that especially after this you will continue to dislike me. I do not have a paypal, and about 6 more of us dont. We have a lot of fun doing tournaments, and the beypoints definatly are an attraction. I may have mispoke; I care about the point system, but I dont care where I am in it.

Just like any other competitive hobby there are those who want to see rewards for their efforts, and they obviously hate when cheaters are involved. It makes sense. I understand your frusteration, but I am unhappy that everything has to be turned upside down for this.

And just tell me if you think that the FWB are the cheaters, because our members do not get on daily. Pichuscute and I know everyone's passwords so that we can enter the battles in order. That is why I post the results for everyone to see so that everyone will know it is legit. I know that there are blatent cheaters, but I just want to make sure that doubt can be washed away about the efforts in Fort Wayne.

I gess there is no stopping this, and I we will try to figure out something. Everyone will dislike me a little more, but I dont really mind. I hope this new point system will make you all feel secure about this, but just like anything cheaters will come in. I will do my best to keep FWB members in this. I'm not angry or disapointed like these posts may portray. Just tired of people being so bothered by other people, who they should just ignore.
Pepe: I don't know all of the FW bladers off the top of my head but I don't think any of them are being accused of cheating....I am sorry that you feel this way but at the moment this seems to be the best way to go. Advice for the future though, you really need to get Paypal or at least access to it. Pinching_eyes_2

Also, dunno about others but I at least don't dislike you. ^^; Just because we have different opinions doesn't mean I'm gonna start hating on anyone.....

Giga: I think an increase in tourneys is a little inevitable. Smile Just hold on for a bit.....
I simply do not understand why Beypoints are an attraction/important, yet you do not care where you are in the ranks. What are the Beypoints for then ? Or does this mean that other people you know do care about their ranking ? Perhaps you should do this for them, and let them know that they can be ranked in a right atmosphere instead of one filled with cheaters ?

Hm, I doubt I/we will dislike you that much ...
I think you could give Pichu the money to send.

You guys can still do your tournaments if this bugs you too much, but they won't be WBO sanctioned.
(Jul. 01, 2009  5:34 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I simply do not understand why Beypoints are an attraction/important, yet you do not care where you are in the ranks. What are the Beypoints for then ? Or does this mean that other people you know do care about their ranking ? Perhaps you should do this for them, and let them know that they can be ranked in a right atmosphere instead of one filled with cheaters ?

Hm, I doubt I/we will dislike you that much ...

I see where you are confused. I am glad to see my friends do well in the points system. I like seeing people benefit from something I orginized. People are more attracted to something that if they do well in, people can see. Its ok though, I think that we dont need beypoints to attract people to tournaments in Fort Wayne anymore. We have all become friends. I woulda never met Pichuscute or his brother without WBO. I enjoyed seeing the final 3 round robin, and I enjoyed seeing people promise to get someone back at the next tournament. Beypoints document how someone has done, but they do not define it. The cheaters may have been documented among the others, but they hopefully have not taken away from what you have done to place your screen name in that list. Seeing yooperman_dan talk to his beyblade probabably was the funniest thing I have ever seen. The beypoints were his motivation to win, as well as a motivation to play. For me, they are a motivation to play more then to win. I just am upset they for some they are more a motivation to win then to play.

I'm stubborn but not close-minded. I may be dard headed, but my intentions are alway meant to be good. I hope you can see that. I appreciate all of you, and I understand all of your frusterations. I just hope you will be sympathetic (though not necesarily in agreement) with mine.

~Peace
Look at the prize list for HPT.

Guess who is paying for it. Me and Kei out of our own pocket; this site and it's operations cost money, and it cannot sustain itself for very long without sufficient funding.

We are charging people to enter the tournament. The WBO tournaments are the places to have ranked battles. If you want to play for fun, play for fun. I have only had 2 ranked matches outside of BWR, but I still played countless matches for fun. In fact you can run tourney's that are not WBO sanctioned, it's perfectly allowable. You just don't get faces or points.

By keeping the ranked matches to tournaments we prevent those who are grinding one player, and any potential cheating. You would have to be pretty obstinate and desperate to run a tourney with the sole intention of cheating the system.

Running two systems is not feasible. It will consume a lot of time, and will only make the whole system more convoluted.

Also why are beypoints the only motivation to win? Really getting out there and having some fun isn't motivation enough? I didn't really care about the faces or the points for BWR, I just wanted to go and actually play with people. That was a far greater motivator than digits.
(Jun. 30, 2009  11:01 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Hey! Did it ever occur to you that perhaps now that the rankings can be proven to be authentic, we can give out prizes for ranking highly? Not to mention we already give out prizes at events for placing?

As for discussion, have you ever taken a look at the Beyblade General forum before? And BeyPoints ... anything goes?

You know what, you're not qualified to run a tournament if you think that.

Please keep further posts relevant to the topic, everyone!

hmm if this is a problem, y dont we use the beypointer, it can keep track bey points as well, just a suggestion. even though this doesnt affect me, plus it will give us a chance to put the bey pointer to use other than a weight on our launchers.
(Jul. 01, 2009  6:49 PM)Lyger26 Wrote: hmm if this is a problem, y dont we use the beypointer, it can keep track bey points as well, just a suggestion. even though this doesnt affect me, plus it will give us a chance to put the bey pointer to use other than a weight on our launchers.

1) importing a beypointer would cost more than the Passport
2) The Beypointer is a physical object, it totally wouldn't work with online rankings.
3) It'd be even easier to cheat since you could buy two beypointers and use that to shoot your score up.

But by all means, if you're just battling with a friend, both of you could use a beypointer for your own points, but it wouldn't be official.
(Jul. 01, 2009  6:52 PM)Crimson Wrote: 1) importing a beypointer would cost more than the Passport
2) The Beypointer is a physical object, it totally wouldn't work with online rankings.
3) It'd be even easier to cheat since you could buy two beypointers and use that to shoot your score up.

But by all means, if you're just battling with a friend, both of you could use a beypointer for your own points, but it wouldn't be official.

hmm u have a point there, well it was worth a shot, oh well i guess we all have to get use to the new system.
(Jul. 01, 2009  6:58 PM)Lyger26 Wrote: hmm u have a point there, well it was worth a shot, oh well i guess we all have to get use to the new system.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, m'friend.
(Jul. 01, 2009  4:20 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: I am extremely dissapointed that you feel that everyone will now be charged money because you are letting immature people cheat in a point system that is just for fun bother you.

Do you have any idea how hard all of us, especially Brad, have worked on this? To us, BP system isn't simply "oh, yeah, that's pretty cool."

It's something we've spent a lot of time working on and organizing. Beyblades are just for fun. Do you think the designers and marketing team at Takara do not take the line seriously because it's just a game? They work very hard.

And so do the staff at WBO.
Pepe, it seems to me that you are upset because the BeyPoint System is not what you wish it was. The BeyPoint System was always intended to be a system for competitive Beyblade. Believe it or not, some of us find fun through serious competition, through watching ranks ascend and know that we worked hard for it. To have a ranking system full of cheaters and grinders completely takes away any sense of achievement from that.

If you just want to play for fun, if you don't care about winning, why even involve BeyPoints at all? If you're not interested in competitive Beyblade, that's fine, but why complain because a system that was always intended to encourage competition is too competitive?

Quote:Make your own point system, those of you who care so much! I had the lowest points of all of my friends, and you know what; I didn't even care. If you could have been there you would have remembered that this is about fun, and that the beypoints are just a way of saying "look what I did," not "I need to find people to beat so that I can be ahead of a guy who has beaten the same guy 50 times straight."

Yeah, um, we're making changes exactly so this sort of thing doesn't happen. So that people who do well have an advantage over people who just play constantly. Obviously the more you play, the better you'll do in the rankings (if you win), but this is definitely a more balanced system.

Frankly, considering the hundreds of hours of work that go into this site and organizing events, not to mention the fact that we want to start giving away more prizes (which we can now do, because the BP system won't be FULL OF CHEATERS) and doing even more stuff, I'm insulted you think $10 is somehow a ripoff. $10 won't even pay to host this website for a month, not counting any of the development costs or work hours or supplies. In the end, this just looks like you being cheap. You also act like I have some obligation to offer this free of charge. I have given everything for free since this site's inception, and am only doing this now because it is the only solution. So please, stop insulting me.

Everyone else addressed your points pretty well, but if I missed anything you want addressed feel free to respond more pointedly and I'll be glad to address your concerns. I knew some people were going to have a problem with this situation, anyway.
how come you are doing this? I just started today!
and wut is a bladers passport and how do U get one?