Florida Beyblade Tournament Report: TAMPA NEVER STOPS BLADING @ TNS8 - 1/18/2020

Florida Beyblade Tournament Report: TAMPA NEVER STOPS BLADING @ TNS8

January 18th, 2020 during the Tampa Never Sleeps 8 at Holiday Inn Westshore in Tampa, Florida, USA
BURST FORMAT

[Image: 49418384672_b2ff47ebd3_k.jpg]
[Image: 49418383852_c732b67db7_k.jpg]

FIRST STAGE:

We had 4 stadiums and everything went pretty well.  I had one dedicated judge and then myself and other older bladers rotated in and out to judge matches.  One thing I missed was that a blader attended before but missed the call for WBO Accounts and he ended up being randomized into the bottom of the list.  They were not worried about it though.

We had a 5 hour block from 1PM to 6PM to run 6 rounds of Swiss.  We finished 2 rounds in about 1hr20mins before other bladers that were also playing in other video game tournaments at TNS8 had to leave.  They checked in regularly and we worked around their own time commitments.  We finished the First Stage at around 5:30PM, which I was able to get all the records and do the proper tie breaks before 6PM.

One big problem was that there was a young attendee that was clearly stealing community beyblades.  Luckily they were my own, so I am not worried.  It did feed into my feeling that eventually I would never loan out beyblades though.  I did not feel a confrontation would have been very beneficial.

My main takeaway was that it was tough to have a tournament area where parents could sit as well as have tournament areas where people could spectate.  So a few things for next time:
  • Have a main person for keeping tournament stadiums/areas clear.
  • Have only ONE entrance to the room.

FINAL STAGE:

The stream team from ProfeLoco again brought us the full Top 8 streamed on Twitch.  So that will be available on the Twitch archive at www.twitch.tv/gamersontheedge/videos under Tampa Never Sleeps 8.  So anyone curious can check that out!

Nitrax was very hungry for a tournament win against me and he was also not able to pull out a win vs me in the First Stage either.  We had many, many ties, but I edged him out luckily a few times.  The saga continues!

UnionAchilles was the breakout of the tournament though.  The only people he lost to in the First Stage was ScorpioEVO and myself, who he beat respectively in the semis and grand finals to win the whole tournament!  He worked with what he had and was able to discuss things with Nitrax before the Top 8 players were assembled to play in order to formulate a plan.  Either way, due to his win we have the beginning of a new story!  "The Legend of Onion Akele" :D

The Florida scene seems pretty healthy!  And there is more to come! (Looking at you SupaDav03 and ssjr0118)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

All in all it was a very good event and I was able to pinpoint some things I wanted to address at future tournament (I will say this every time).  Many parents and friends of mine at the event that spoke to parents said that I did a very good job with everything, but I personally felt that I was a bit too stressed.  After the Top 8 a bit of fatigue set in and a sparkling water kind of gave me a bad reaction and I had to recover for a little bit.  I need to make sure I give myself a break too.  Thank you very much ssjr0118 for the help and concern, I'm fine now!

Thank you everyone for reading!

Sincerely,
joyos

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Thank you to ProfeLoco, ssjr0118, Nitrax, NearlyFatal, NAPAdmiralFunk and BlondeFoxx for (in no particular order) commentating, judging matches and everything in between!

WINNING COMBINATIONS:

1st Place: UnionAchilles
Judgement Ashura Blitz Spiral Dash Sen 
Master Spriggan Sting Xtend+ (Deck Format Finals Only)
Cosmo Dragon Convert Revolve Gen (Deck Format Finals Only)
Knockout Odin Blitz Atomic Retsu (First Stage Only)
Lord Spriggan 00Proof Xtend+ (First Stage Only)

2nd Place: joyos
Judgement Ashura 0Bump Xtreme Dash Sen
Knockout Diabolos 00Expand Destroy Dash
Lord Hydra 10Wall Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)
Lord Longinus 10Wall Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)
Lord Spriggan 0Cross Bearing (First Stage Only)

3rd Place: Cscramon
Lord Spriggan Vanguard Bearing
Judgement Dragon Around Destroy Dash Sen (Deck Format Finals Only)
Master Diabolos2 Generate (First Stage Only)

4th Place: ScorpioEVO

MEDIA:

TBA
Amazing stuff. Love the recap. Great to hear how it went and also learn some lessons on things to do/not do for my own event. Going to watch the Twitch video tonight. Keep setting the bar high!
Looks like yall had a lot of fun. Congrats to all victors and participants.
Its was fun but thought I would of got farther
(Jan. 24, 2020  2:49 AM)Maknchess Wrote: Its was fun but thought I would of got farther

Bring extra launchers next time!  Or have better ones if you can Smile
(Jan. 24, 2020  4:18 AM)joyos Wrote:
(Jan. 24, 2020  2:49 AM)Maknchess Wrote: Its was fun but thought I would of got farther

Bring extra launchers next time!  Or have better ones if you can Smile

I will use TT ones next time?
Very happy to see how well the Florida community seems to be doing!

(Jan. 22, 2020  4:08 PM)joyos Wrote: One big problem was that there was a young attendee that was clearly stealing community beyblades.  Luckily they were my own, so I am not worried.  It did feed into my feeling that eventually I would never loan out beyblades though.  I did not feel a confrontation would have been very beneficial.

When you lend out Beyblades at the tournament do you allow players to keep them for the entire event? If so, I've found that it is far safer to make sure they are taken back after the battle is complete. This way nobody leaves the stadium with a Beyblade that isn't theirs.

(Jan. 22, 2020  4:08 PM)joyos Wrote:
  • Have a main person for keeping tournament stadiums/areas clear.
  • Have only ONE entrance to the room.

+1 vote for this

Tournament area access should be as highly managed as possible. Generally only judges, players participating in current matches, and a single parent/guardian for each participant should be permitted inside. And the tournament area should ideally be enclosed by some type of barrier with spectators on the outside.

(Jan. 22, 2020  4:08 PM)joyos Wrote: Many parents and friends of mine at the event that spoke to parents said that I did a very good job with everything, but I personally felt that I was a bit too stressed.  After the Top 8 a bit of fatigue set in and a sparkling water kind of gave me a bad reaction and I had to recover for a little bit.  I need to make sure I give myself a break too.  Thank you very much ssjr0118 for the help and concern, I'm fine now!

Yes, breaks are very important! Both for judges/organizers, and players. I would say it's also important to consider building in time for taking a break part way through your event if it's large enough. Or at least between the First and Final Stages.

One other thing I wanted to mention/ask: I watched the recording of the stream and am wondering if the decks of each player were properly inspected before each match by the judge? It didn't appear that they were.
(Feb. 02, 2020  7:02 PM)Kei Wrote: When you lend out Beyblades at the tournament do you allow players to keep them for the entire event? If so, I've found that it is far safer to make sure they are taken back after the battle is complete. This way nobody leaves the stadium with a Beyblade that isn't theirs.

I actually just wanted to let the kids use them for freeplay, knowing that a lot of them would get snapped up.  I just didn't think an actual thief-type would show up.  The actual beyblades I was lending out for tournament were kept in my own collection, but no one actually needed one from me.  They either had their own or a friend that could lend them one.

(Feb. 02, 2020  7:02 PM)Kei Wrote: +1 vote for this

Tournament area access should be as highly managed as possible. Generally only judges, players participating in current matches, and a single parent/guardian for each participant should be permitted inside. And the tournament area should ideally be enclosed by some type of barrier with spectators on the outside.

Yeah, just really an under-staffing issue.  I don't really have concrete volunteers here or anyone that I trust at this time.

(Feb. 02, 2020  7:02 PM)Kei Wrote: Yes, breaks are very important! Both for judges/organizers, and players. I would say it's also important to consider building in time for taking a break part way through your event if it's large enough. Or at least between the First and Final Stages.

We did have a break, but... I didn't take one for myself o_o

(Feb. 02, 2020  7:02 PM)Kei Wrote: One other thing I wanted to mention/ask: I watched the recording of the stream and am wondering if the decks of each player were properly inspected before each match by the judge? It didn't appear that they were.

If you just went by the rulebook and watched our stream, they were not.  Nitrax and I ran through with the younger Top 8 players during the break but I gave merit to the older bladers.  During Top 8 I picked up each combo when it was first seen to at least take a look when I could.

In the future if I ever have players on stream where the footage can be heavily scrutinized, I'll make sure due diligence is followed.
My account still says I haven't participated in any tournaments why is that
(Feb. 03, 2020  11:28 PM)Maknchess Wrote: My account still says I haven't participated in any tournaments why is that

The event isn't prosessed that fast. They still haven't fully processed November's tournament's yet, so I don't expect to see this event being processed for a while
Hello Everyone!!!
Hope everybody is staying at home and safe.
I wanted to ask, after all this pass is there any option of having a new tournament in FL?