Florida Beyblade Tournament Report: Beys With Juice @ The Juicy Monthly - 2/1/2020

Florida Beyblade Tournament Report: Beys With Juice @ The Juicy Monthly

February 1st, 2020 during the Juicy Monthly at Hilton Garden Inn Orlando at SeaWorld in Orlando, Florida, USA
BURST FORMAT

[Image: 20200202_102631.jpg]

FIRST STAGE:

When I got to the venue, we quickly found that the space we had was actually pretty small.  I spoke with the head of the Juicy Monthly and we probably would not do beys here again.  Not because it was bad, because it definitely wasn't, but because he had not foreseen how many parents and guardians show up with each blader.   Live and learn haha, when we're trying to rip some beys we're being serious O_O

Anyway, after finalizing the entrants, I decided on using only two of the four stadiums we had due to only having 3 experienced judges who were all participating.  I had my girlfriend manning the challonge laptop, helping calling matches.  One BIG idea that worked, was that the venue we were at had carpeting, so I was able to put a line of tape down around the tournament area and all of the older attendees were very helpful with making sure all bladers did not cross the line into the tournament area.  We started on time!  21 entrants were finalized, with one family coming 30 minutes into the tournament starting.  They tried to take a spot of someone who dropped mid-tournament, but they were firmly told that was not allowed.  That blader did get to play a lot of freeplay.  Hopefully next time we can get them in the tournament Grin

As far as my performance, I lost to -Fireblaze-, it was a good match but my bey selection was not good haha (also bursted once).  I picked Knockout on Ds' into Right Spin Lord Atomic.  Ouch.  It was funny because I kind of just flipped a coin on whether was going to use that combo or Judgment on X'.  In my final match I faced the Jesiah10 who was using a stock Hasbro Garuda G3, the blue one with the yellow Star frame.  I pretty much had subpar attack launches, which made me wish I practiced them more, but his Garuda survived some big hits and I was taken down.

When Swiss was finished, I had to play a tiebreaker match versus DeclanGamer for the last Top 8 spot, which I won.  Also, I found out my family knows his family, small world O_O

BIG NOTE TO EVERYONE READING:  The new tiebreaker rules for Swiss are so simple and are easy to explain.  Good job to the Committee, Contributors and Organizers involved in providing info and/or discourse that lead to the clarifications.

FINAL STAGE:

The Top 8 in order was Rainfire, Cscramon, ssjr0118, LightningThief, Jesiah10, -Fireblaze-, ShadowGodEND and myself.

Seemed like it was going super good but we had a miscommunication issue with a blader and their guardian.  They asked how many rounds they got to play, which I told them, but I guess they did not realize that there was a Top 8 Bracket afterwards.  So ShadowGodEND dropped after Swiss but before Top 8 started.  This lead to Cscramon starting out right inside one of the semi-finals.  Between ssjr0118 and I we were able to inspect all of the Top 8 Decks as each match started.  Here are some notes on Top 8 before the Grand Finals:
  • I was able to pull through vs Rainfire 5-4.  It was very tense!
  • Jesiah10's Garuda G3 was able to survive and best LightningThief who had a bit of control loss as the tournament went along.
  • ssjr0118 went over -Fireblaze- (who made his first Top 8) with some clutch Zwei knockouts.
  • I took advantage of Lord vs Jesiah10's stock Garuda G3 to put me through to the Finals.
  • Cscramon vs ssjr0118 was a rematch from TNSB.  The younger team member went over this time, with his second Grand Finals appearance in a row.
  • In the 3rd Place match, ssjr0118 took it vs Jesiah10 using Hell Salamander to get over mostly vs the Garuda G3.
  • In the finals, Cscramon and I basically both ended up on Judgement after blind pick and we kept saying rematch until it was 3-2 in Cscramon's favor.  Few more good launches by Cscramon and at least one less-than-desirable launch from me and I lost 5-3.
So in the end, Cscramon wins in back to back weeks in Plantation FL and Orlando FL respectively, after getting Top 8 at RIP 4 CHARITY in Largo FL, and 3rd Place at TNSB in Tampa FL.

The big matchup I want to see is Cscramon vs UnionAchilles!  See you soon FL Bladers! (flordda bladdrs?)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I think despite a few concerns it ran pretty well.  We were halfway through Top 8 when it hit 8PM, and we started at 4:30PM.  The tape line worked VERY WELL and I liked that decision a lot.  I guess I also have to mention that there is a Finals cut after the First Stage is over.

I've already voiced and explained what I thought about the event space, but everyone was pretty happy and grateful that there was a tournament in Orlando.  It was an easy drive for most people since Orlando is very centrally located to most Florida locations (other than Miami).

As far as my performance, that's not really important to me comparatively to running the event.  I met my goal of being 50%+ win rate, getting Top 8 and the Grand Finals was just a bit of luck and ramming into people with Judgement.

Thank you everyone for reading!

Sincerely,
joyos

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Thank you to the whole Juicy Crew, -Fireblaze-, ssjr0118 and everyone that attended and helped out in any way!

WINNING COMBINATIONS:

1st Place: Cscramon
Judgement Diabolos Around Destroy' (Deck Format Finals Only)
Lord Spriggan Vanguard Bearing (First Stage Only)

2nd Place: joyos
Judgement Ashura 0Bump Xtreme' Sen
Lord Longinus 10Wall Bearing (Deck Format Finals Only)
LC Perfect Phoenix 00Cross Xtend+ (Deck Format Finals Only)

3rd Place: ssjr0118
LC Hell Salamander 0Expand Destroy'
Master Bahamut Around Xtend+ (Deck Format Finals Only)
Zwei Diabolos Blitz Hold' (Deck Format Finals Only)
Lord Spriggan Vanguard Bearing (First Stage Only)

4th Place: Jesiah10

MEDIA:

TBA
Thanks Ricky
joyos, did you really make it through the first stage using exclusively Judgement?! Now that's a respected accomplishment. Judgement is probably the best thing in the game, but being that confedent in attack is still quite admirable. Great job hosting tourneys lately! I hope to one day come to one Grin
(Feb. 04, 2020  10:23 PM)henwooja1 Wrote: joyos, did you really make it through the first stage using exclusively Judgement?! Now that's a respected accomplishment. Judgement is probably the best thing in the game, but being that confedent in attack is still quite admirable. Great job hosting tourneys lately! I hope to one day come to one Grin

4 of the 5 rounds I used Judgement.

I don't think I'm really that confident in using an attack combo, I just happen to side with things that seem like they are more about chance or require a lot of conditions/variables.  Also the kids seem to get really hyped up when they survive an attack-type combo, lol.

Also, it seems like it would be a journey for you to come to a tourney down here Gasp
Hello Everyone!!
Hope you all are safe. After all this pass, are you planning to held another tournament here in FL?
Interesting to hear how well the tape worked. Maybe I should try that whenever we're able to have tournaments again instead of having OldSchool™ drag his pylons/barriers to every big tournament haha.
Ricky, when will you host another tournament ??