Cooking Thread: your "i cant cook" jokes aren't clever

(Sep. 23, 2008  11:26 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: LIIIIVE

Lastnight, I made steak.

I overcooked the steak a lil bit, but it was still delicious. Grin

That's overcooking? O_O to me and Dreamborn that's underdone.
Then again, we like ours "Burnt to a crisp" XD Problem is, the steak you made looks delicious.
and I agree with you on the Ramen Grin
I eat my steak rare. The more you cook steak, the more you damage the flavour and integrity of the meat. Many good restaurants will not cook a steak beyond medium-rare because they know it wrecks it.

[Image: 526980499_9e000fe76b_o.jpg]

^This is perfect. If you've never eaten a well seasoned rare steak, you don't know what you're missing.

Steak tastes good if you burn it on the outside. I usually cook it on pure high heat until both sides are seared and take it off while the inside is still mostly raw.

I've eaten raw steak at a Japanese restaurant before, it was quite good.
(Sep. 24, 2008  7:41 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I eat my steak rare. The more you cook steak, the more you damage the flavour and integrity of the meat. Many good restaurants will not cook a steak beyond medium-rare because they know it wrecks it.

[Image: 526980499_9e000fe76b_o.jpg]

^This is perfect. If you've never eaten a well seasoned rare steak, you don't know what you're missing.

Steak tastes good if you burn it on the outside. I usually cook it on pure high heat until both sides are seared and take it off while the inside is still mostly raw.

I've eaten raw steak at a Japanese restaurant before, it was quite good.

I really want to try it because it looks so good, but I've never eaten anything other than well done, I just don't know when to take it out of the pan when cooking anything else.
No point in asking my grandfather, since he like's his blue, and my mum likes it well-done.
Got any tips?

I also need to invest in another Takoyaki pan, I bought Tempura batter and then went "Oh carp I don't have one anymore" XD
It always shocks me when people say something like "I've never eaten anything other than well done." How can you go through your whole life not trying such a basic thing?

Cooking steak rare is easy. Just cook it on pure high heat until both sides are cooked and remove it. 2-3 minutes each side should be OK. Cut into it to check the level of doneness.
(Sep. 24, 2008  8:33 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: It always shocks me when people say something like "I've never eaten anything other than well done." How can you go through your whole life not trying such a basic thing?

Cooking steak rare is easy. Just cook it on pure high heat until both sides are cooked and remove it. 2-3 minutes each side should be OK. Cut into it to check the level of doneness.

I'll give that a try when I next cook. Sounds nice Grin

Have you ever eaten "Eggy bread" that stuff is amazing, especially with melted cheese on top.
Nope. Tell me about it.
(Sep. 24, 2008  10:10 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Nope. Tell me about it.

Looks like this:
[Image: 161582992_7acdfe5e57_o.jpg]

the way you make it is like this:
Dependant on how many piece you want to make, 1 egg can normally do 1 to 2 slices, depends on how much you soak the bread XD.

+ Obviously you'll need a frying pan and a little oil in there to stop the bread sticking (heated).
+ Crack one egg into a bowl (has to be large enough to be able to house a slice of bread)
+ Add a little milk and a bit of pepper and mix together. (It's kind of like making Omelette mix XD)
Then once it's all mixed, dip the bread both sides into the mixture until both sides are evenly soaked.
Then you fry it on both sides til golden, like making fried bread to be honest.
Once it's golden brown, you take it out and sprinkle grated cheese on the top (I sometimes do it when I'm cooking the second side so that the heat from the pan melts it, just don't turn it over once the cheese is on XD!!)

The taste sometimes reminds me of home-made yorkshire pudding, but it's probably just the way my nan makes it that makes it taste so similar.

Tastes awesome with brown sauce, but you don't necessarily have to have it.
It's also incredibly filling, eventhough it's technically just fried bread with a bit of egg.

Note: Don't put the mixture in the frying pan, then the bread on top, youll get a nasty omelette/fried bread combo which really isn't appetising.
Soak bread in mixture first, then chuck the bread in the pan.
since last time I told someone how to make it, they did the Mixture + frying pan thing. It was silly XD
So it's sort of like a savory french toast then? We make this at my house sometimes, but we don't put anything in the eggs. Cook to perfection, and serve with maple syrup or fruit topping (or, if you're anything like me, peanut butter and maple syrup).
(Sep. 24, 2008  8:02 PM)Doompenguin Wrote: So it's sort of like a savory french toast then? We make this at my house sometimes, but we don't put anything in the eggs. Cook to perfection, and serve with maple syrup or fruit topping (or, if you're anything like me, peanut butter and maple syrup).

You really wouldn't want to put syrup on Eggy bread XD
^
Thats what I was thinking lol
in 1 of our reading books in maybe 3rd grade there was a paragraph about how to do that
and am still making it ,am in grade 11 now,
Erm, that's just french toast. And putting syrup on it is really common. Speechless
i tried making it when i was a kid once. it just tasted like egg Uncertain
i shall redeem myself someday for it though.
I've recently been making chocolate fondue on special occasions to pig out on XD. For those days were you don't feel like making it the real way: Put chocolate chips into a cup and microwave XD. Eh, it tastes pretty good i guess
I would love to cook, but sadly, I can't cook at all

[/cleverness]

The closest I've come to cooking a meal was scrambled eggs, which are seriously a no-brainer to make, and spaghetti, which aint too difficult either.

I've also decided that I want to make Sea-Salt Ice Cream (I have an actual ingredients list for it, and a very un-specific recipe), just for the hell of it. But that's not really cooking. :\

Anyone have any suggestions for something that's easy to cook for someone who seriously cannot cook? I have to start somewhere.
A lot of things are easy to cook. None of the cooking I do is particularly hard. The trick is making sure to use lots of herbs and spices in what you cook, it brings a whole new dimension of flavour to food.

Easy things to cook? Well, steak is easy to cook. Just put it on high heat and flip it.

Chicken fetuccine alfredo. Season the chicken, cut it up, fry it in a pan, serve with fetuccine pasta and pre-made alfredo sauce.
(Sep. 25, 2008  12:06 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Erm, that's just french toast. And putting syrup on it is really common. Speechless

Im just saying you really don't want to have syrup on it, It's pretty gross (Tried it before) but that's probably because I do it the welsh way and have it with cheese Uncertain
(Sep. 25, 2008  7:06 AM)Gekiryu Wrote:
(Sep. 25, 2008  12:06 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Erm, that's just french toast. And putting syrup on it is really common. Speechless

Im just saying you really don't want to have syrup on it, It's pretty gross (Tried it before) but that's probably because I do it the welsh way and have it with cheese Uncertain

Well obviously you wouldn't put both syrup and cheese on it. :\
(Sep. 25, 2008  7:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Sep. 25, 2008  7:06 AM)Gekiryu Wrote:

Well obviously you wouldn't put both syrup and cheese on it. :\

Well yah XD
I didn't think it would be nice whether it had cheese or not though. Always find Savoury and sweet mixed tastes a bit bleh to me.

Fine, here's another one. Cawl (Say it's like stew all ya want, it's still quite different).
[Image: Cawl_china_w_cheese.jpg]
What is the difference?
(Sep. 25, 2008  7:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: What is the difference?

Not a lot except a few ingredients. It's a traditional Welsh dish for some odd reason.
Main ingredients are:
Lamb
Leek
Swede
Carrot
Potato.

Usually served with bread and a couple of slices of cheese on the side.

I can't remember what the broth is made from, Generally stock and the water from the drained veggies. Think of it as Veggie soup but with lamb XD
Wales = Not a whole lot of originality to our dishes XD
Except Welsh cakes, they're awesome now and not a lot of people outside wales have eaten them, it scares me.
Can't you make stew using pretty much any ingredients? :\
(Sep. 25, 2008  9:11 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: BUT WELSH PRIDE

vowels are for losars

That's one thing I can't stand about Wales XD
I hadn't even noticed it until a friend came here from England and was like "You really hate vowels don't you" since then I've been like "UUURRRRGGHHH!"
Welsh cakes = Only good thing I can find about Wales.
The other night, I just made maple bacon sandwiches.

[Image: IMG_4901.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4902.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4903.jpg]

Luckily, I had the best chips in the world to go with it:

[Image: IMG_4904.jpg]

Tonight's a bit more complex, I'm making lamb. The rosemary you see is fresh from our neighbour's garden, and the lamb is locally slaughtered. I couldn't find a recipe that caught my eye, so I'm improvising. There's salt, pepper, nutmeg, rosemary, allspice, and cinnamon.

[Image: IMG_4930.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4931.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4932.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4933.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4934.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4935.jpg]

Oh, and honey! Grin

[Image: IMG_4936.jpg]

Back to the kitchen!