Computer viruses!

Poll: Have you ever goten a computer virus?

Yes
82.99%
No
17.01%
Total: 100% 147 vote(s)
I'm afraid I might get one now because a moderator on another website was stupid enough to abuse his power and post my IP.

Then I report him, and, guess what? He gets away with that, and bans me. What an idiot.
Uh oh. I'm afraid for you. People do abuse power, that's for sure. Make sure to turn on your firewall! This will give you enough time to disconnect from the Internet so people cant attack you with viruses.
Yeah, but it's okay, and then I got on my friend's account so I could tell them this:

[Image: 7proxies.png]
You know proxys only protect you from websites trying to find your Ip. You need to change your proxy in order to stop people from attacking you. They already know your real IP address..
Oh, because I just updated them all last week, thought I was good...aw.
What do you mean by updating them? The software? Plus, when did this happen?
I updated the software.

And, this happened this morning.
I'm still panicing. I don't know how to help you. I'm scared. I'm alone. I have no life... Anyways just remember to turn off the Internet if people decide to attack. This will cut off the connection to your computer. BEWARE OF THE HACKERS.
What makes it worse is that one of the members knows some hacker friends that are GOOD at what they do.
Yeah, but these guys are insane and work for a big company in Sweden.
I am fairly certain you have very little to be concerned about, to be honest.

I think you're all taking the word "hacker" and letting your imaginations run wild - the internet really is not a place where there are actual people willfully sending viruses after people at little to no provocation; pretty much all viruses are obtained via background scripts running in web pages, ads, or in emails. Unless you have some information extremely valuable to foreign interests, or a lot of money, or you're just running around making an carp out of yourself in front of the wrong people, you are in as much danger of being willfully "hacked" as you are of being bitten by a shark while sitting in your livingroom.

You guys are using the word "hacker" like it's 1998.
Its more like a 60's word... Anyways, I don't think anyone would try to hack your computer. That would be basically useless... unless you have a bunch of valuebal stuff on the computer... or if they wanted to be a bully...
I honestly don't get the point of a virus that just messes up your computer and nothing else.

Like, really, you gain nothing.
Well, I guess those people want to frustrate users... I agree with you. People make viruses that mess up your computer, but they sometimes don't steal information, etc. I don't think that's logical. They usually get caught at one point and get arrested. It doesn't male scenes.
(Apr. 09, 2012  5:31 PM)Ultimatefry Wrote: I honestly don't get the point of a virus that just messes up your computer and nothing else.

Like, really, you gain nothing.

Humanity is not a friendly thing, by and large. To many individuals, most especially people who actively go out of their way to create such things, doing harm to others is enough.

Reality check time, I guess.
(Apr. 07, 2012  9:20 PM)Takasu Wrote: Hmm... did he say anything else? Any details?

He said that something went wrong for many people who had updated MacAfee, due to a malfunction in the system or something like that.
my computer was hacked once, they took control of my laptop and dropped my rare items in this game, i was able to get back on pick up and log off, and then messages started popping up about getting back on the game. then some innapropriate things came up after saying "ha ha i hacked your account"
That sounds like adware for the inappropriate things. Anyways, what account was it? If it was a game, they are sometimes are easy to "hack ".
well i just got my computer nuked and paved because it hade so many viruses on it. This is the cleanest it will ever be (until i have to do it again lol)
i use AVG for a virus finder/protecter (also, im lucky my dad knows just about EVERYTHING there is about computers cause if i have computer problems, "dad my computers not working")
(Apr. 15, 2012  11:14 PM)Takasu Wrote: That sounds like adware for the inappropriate things. Anyways, what account was it? If it was a game, they are sometimes are easy to "hack ".

runescape, but they hacked into my computer which meant they could log everything i type, they controlled my mouse. it sucked.
(Apr. 15, 2012  11:44 PM)AwesomeDragoon Wrote: well i just got my computer nuked and paved because it hade so many viruses on it. This is the cleanest it will ever be (until i have to do it again lol)
i use AVG for a virus finder/protecter (also, im lucky my dad knows just about EVERYTHING there is about computers cause if i have computer problems, "dad my computers not working")

Stop using AVG. It is garbage. If you actually get viruses, without being notified and having the immediate option to remove them(save for a few exceptions where the virus terminates the process of known antivirus/antimalware), your antivirus is worthless.

(Apr. 15, 2012  11:46 PM)Fury Wrote:
(Apr. 15, 2012  11:14 PM)Takasu Wrote: That sounds like adware for the inappropriate things. Anyways, what account was it? If it was a game, they are sometimes are easy to "hack ".

runescape, but they hacked into my computer which meant they could log everything i type, they controlled my mouse. it sucked.

Block remote access, and stop clicking weird links.

Remember, kids. If you got a virus, there's about a 99% chance it's your fault. Load noscript, run adblock, pack on a strong antivirus, and you are as invincible as you need to be.
i use a combination of avg and mal ware bites to protect my computer after i got a virus while on brickpedia which was weird since i have gone on the lego wiki tones of times without issue
I use Nortons 360 and Windows Firewall on both my laptop and my gaming rig. Never had any issues until the subscription on my laptop ended.
Ran it using AVG because i was too cheap to buy another year of nortons... BIG MISTAKE. Week by week it's processing speed ran slower, couldn't do much with it. After i had a full wipe, reboot, and update, it ran like it did when i bought it. Btw, this is not fun when the updates alone take 24+ hours. The virus it caught actually stopped it from updating so all of my drivers were out of date and there was absolutely no virus protection. Now that i have nortons back on it, haven't had any issues.
My uncles own and run a fullout electronics shop, they recommend Nortons the most.
As long as your computer keeps up to date with the latest virus protection, updates, security essentials and windows updates you shouldn't have too many issues.