[Buying]  How to effectively buy on Mercari JP in real-time, with help.

I've been using Mercari for the past month, and while many of you may know of it, you'll also know it is quite a hassle to work with when outside of Japan.

For those of you unaware, here is the keyword URL you can use to scour through general "Beyblade" listings, you'll notice it is very active, has sellers of every generation, and well below prices you're used to seeing elsewhere online:
https://www.mercari.com/jp/search/?keyword=ベイブレード

If you want to look for specific Beyblades in particular, you must use get an accurate translation of its name, and search for it using the bar at the top. You'll notice it will often keep listings up that have already been sold long ago, so be sure to only look for items without the big red "SOLD" icon on them.

Everything is incredibly priced relative to other online outlets, making it highly attractive. All the sought after beys/listings are bought within hours because of this, with certain things going in mere minutes, and normal proxy services either flat out don't buy things on Mercari, or only are only able to purchase items after a certain amount of time has passed. Usually meaning someone in Japan has gotten to it before you even have the chance to use a proxy service. You're also not usually able to negotiate the pricing, as proxy service businesses tend to avoid that altogether.

It isn't like eBay, you can't just create an account and link up your PayPal. It is essentially a second-hand goods website dedicated to people in Japan only. Because of this, only certain people, like Youtubers and dedicated collectors, with connections to Japanese natives have had the opportunity to buy from Mercari in real-time. 
I don't think that is fair to all the other people who are interested, but simply don't know how to get in contact with a friendly or willing person in Japan who can buy things on their behalf immediately.

This is where I introduce to you my friend Teresa. She has been the person I've been dealing with directly and helping me snatch things for myself in time for a while now. SHe has also been helping Th!nk in securing the very last things he needs to complete his database. This is Teresa's WBO profile that I asked her to make:
https://worldbeyblade.org/User-TeresainTokyo

Teresa lives in Tokyo, she's an early-riser and is often available throughout the day to buy things on your behalf, or negotiate with sellers to get you a better deal. She is a personal middleman who is best contacted via her dedicated website found here! I can't say whether she'll be checking WBO often, but maybe. Here is how it works, if you want to buy things through her on Mercari ASAP:

1. She is a commissioned based liaison. If you want to purchase a rare plastic bey that is up for $50USD (~5k yen), for example, you'll need to send over $60USD to her PayPal (~6k yen). 

* Remember that unlike other middlemen, she buys in real-time and is always willing to help you negotiate for a better deal with sellers. I've personally lowered prices on listings with her help that basically neutralized commission multiple times. (ex. listing X going for 2k, negotiated to 1.5k, paid 1.9k total)

2. You must have the funds already available and ready to send over, she does not buy things in advance and hold them until you can pay next week.

3. Contact her with the link to the listing you'd like to buy. Be ready to provide the full amount plus commission. Teresa is sweet, so if you've built up a decent rapport with her, you don't need to send it immediately, but do so within a few hours, be reasonable. It is technically her personal money and her personal account.

4. Provided step 2+3 are in order, she buys it for you, or negotiates with the seller based on a price you prefer. You then transfer over the proper amount to her via PayPal. Personally I have had zero problem sending her via F&F, but if you are inclined to send via G&S, you should be courteous enough to ensure that you account for the PayPal fee which is roughly 3% or she will not be getting the full payment owed.

5. When it arrives to her residence, which is typically a very fast process as I've come to learn, she will notify you. Teresa sends photos of the beyblades/purchases you've made to confirm that they meet your standards. If all is well, she leaves a positive review for the seller.

6. With your product in-hand, she will calculate the shipping cost to you. She can ship anywhere provided you are able to cover the cost.

7. Shipping cost gets sent over, you send over the amount, and she ships out your Mercari purchase.

8. It arrives and you have successfully bought something off of Mercari in real-time.

There are a few caveats.
- Teresa is a person with a job outside of this, not a proxy business, meaning she can't always be at our beck and call. Japanese tend to put in their beyblade listings at ~7am onwards, and it usually dies down by 11pm. Throughout that time of day, Teresa is typically available, but don't take it for granted or become agitated if she is busy. Sometimes I've missed a lot or two I've really wanted, but 99% of the time, I got what I wanted when I wanted it with her help. Message her and take it from there.

- Secondly, she doesn't know anything about Beyblade, so she cannot search on Mercari for you, you'll have to put in that elbow grease yourself. You have to provide her with the link or the name of the specific listing.

- Lastly, this is not a permanent issue, but given the pandemic is in full force still, not every shipping option is available to the Japanese public at this time. There are restrictions based on country currently. For example, from Japan to Canada, EMS is not available at this time. 
It is sporadically updated but this is at the discretion of the government. If you have a particularly large order, she can make a few accommodations, though, as she has a few tricks up her sleeve. Just be aware that it is constantly changing until normalcy returns, but she will store things for you as long as you need.
Hello . This is Teresa. Thank you so much Dan for your post. I've gotten Dan and his friend a lot of Beyblades here. Please feel free to message me anytime Smile
I will also personally vouch for Teresa. She has been a huge help to me closing out the gaps in my collection and is always a pleasure to work with.
My website is teresastoystore, feel free to contact me :)

(May. 09, 2021  1:49 AM)th!nk Wrote: I will also personally vouch for Teresa. She has been a huge help to me closing out the gaps in my collection and is always a pleasure to work with.

Thank you. I appreciate it so much .
Thank you for this Dan. Teresa, I will be reaching out!
(May. 09, 2021  2:01 AM)Polishxthunder Wrote: Thank you for this Dan. Teresa, I will be reaching out!

No problem, I hope you make good use of her help. I'm not a fan of open secrets or barriers to entry, of which certain people in the general Beyblade community (outside of WBO), want to maintain. Mercari is a resource all of us should have equal access to, if possible. I just want to even the playing field, and Teresa just so happens to be game.

Good luck, I hope you find some of the rarer plastics there as I know you're looking for specific ones, I haven't seen that many spring up since maybe half a decade back on YJA.
Yeah I am. In fact, I missed out on one of them this morning Unhappy
(May. 09, 2021  2:17 AM)Polishxthunder Wrote: Yeah I am.  In fact, I missed out on one of them this morning Unhappy

If it's the one I'm thinking of it sold within about 30 seconds of listing - mercari is great but some of the big ticket stuff is a challenge - which is where communicating with sellers is really useful. That's not something you really get from a regular proxy company, but that Teresa can do. She's done that for me a few times so I've been able to make better or more informed purchasing decisions.
Bumping this for the sake of letting everyone know that both Polish and I have been having trouble with a certain seller, Taicho, who despite having many affordably priced things plays favourites as well as appears to be highly xenophobic towards Teresa. I know BBG has dealt with him, so I wanted to put it out there if you buy from him or they recommend him in a video, he won't be friendly or open about what he has for sale, and may upsell you when using Teresa's service because she doesn't speak in the way he likes.

This is the first and only time this has happened, everyone we've dealt with so far has been very helpful and accommodating except for him. Wouldn't feel right not mentioning it in advance in case anyone else has any plans of buying from him down the line.
I recently asked Teresa to help me get an SeaDragon MS, Jade Juptier and a Duo Uranus/Wing Pegasus set; all for around 5000yen each(around 6000yen with her commissions) so guys, you really should give Mercari a try because I don't think anyone else would sell for those prices, especially not in the English market.
For Teresa, she was very nice and accommodating through email contact and even packed each individual part in bubblewrap for shipping XD
She's a trustworthy proxy and I would love to ask her to help me buy again once I have the money and when she's back from vacation.
Gonna bump this so more people can see.
I just got my first shipment from teresa and yeah I can confirm she does a great job with proxy buying with mercari, the shipping was really well done too, and ontop of all of that, the EMS shipping came in 4 days haha, so I don't have much to complain about! Would recommend.
i used otsuki to buy some stuff on mercari, as you can be as specific as needs be. Like you want an indicidual item and it isnt a listing on buyee, any other cheaper alternatives?
(Aug. 13, 2021  5:21 PM)geekouts Wrote: i used otsuki to buy some stuff on mercari, as you can be as specific as needs be. Like you want an indicidual item and it isnt a listing on buyee, any other cheaper alternatives?

I don't understand what you are trying to say and ask
(Aug. 14, 2021  2:54 AM)Dan Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  5:21 PM)geekouts Wrote: i used otsuki to buy some stuff on mercari, as you can be as specific as needs be. Like you want an indicidual item and it isnt a listing on buyee, any other cheaper alternatives?

I don't understand what you are trying to say and ask

Really poor wording on my end, with otsuki u can access all mercari threads, even ones that do not turn up on buyee and u can ask your proxy to only ship the desired item out of a lot. Wondering if there  were any others that did this and if they were cheaper.
(Aug. 14, 2021  1:15 PM)geekouts Wrote:
(Aug. 14, 2021  2:54 AM)Dan Wrote: I don't understand what you are trying to say and ask

Really poor wording on my end, with otsuki u can access all mercari threads, even ones that do not turn up on buyee and u can ask your proxy to only ship the desired item out of a lot. Wondering if there  were any others that did this and if they were cheaper.

I think what you might be referring to is Otsukai?
Either way... Teresa does all of this already, feel free to read the OP!
It was a great experience to buy unique and old item with Teresa`s help. If you find something in mercari you want but it is only available in Japan, don't hesitate to contact her. Quickly responsive, giving you the best advice based on her experience, and what else more to say?
🇬🇧I've bought from Teresa many things
and she is always kind and highly professional.
Her packaging is awesome as well as her
attitude as a proxy buyer. I really hope to do
business with her again!

🇮🇹Ho comprato da Teresa diverse cose e lei è sempre gentile
ed altamente professionale. Imballaggio
meraviglioso proprio come la sua attitudine
da proxy buyer. Spero davvero di fare di nuovo
affari con lei!
I just received another item from Japan with Teresa`s help. She was at the seashore for personal day off (I guess), but her response was prompt and didn't mind helping me to get what I was looking for. So sorry to bother her and truly thanked for her help.
Bumping this just so more people become aware, though most should be already.
Just a quick post but Teresa's help was extremely helpful to help us on getting a hard to find Beyblades on Mercari Japan, great service I recommend highly.
https://worldbeyblade.org/User-TeresainTokyo