Brawl WiFi Tournament

I have some house work to do but once I have finished I will be putting everything up and it will all be on the OP, make it easier for people to find.
(Apr. 18, 2009  4:28 PM)flamerx1231 Wrote: um how any people we have?
So far, we have 9 participants:

Zander Soulwind- 1719-5363-5701
Hero- 1419-0172-2561
Kei- 3351-3726-6833
Flamerx1231- 4640-5257-4077
Blader9- 2363-5409-0910
Torterra14- 0860-2919-8239
MS ash- 3695-2804-9599
GB- 2964-8413-3183
8Bitman- 4768-7105-1523 (not a member of this site)
OK, we now have 16 people for this tournament so entries are now closed because 16 works out and i don't think we will get 32 people. Don't worry if you didn't get into this one though because I will make sure more will take place, as long as people don't lie about stuff.

I will be putting the rules and info up later so please keep an eye out for that on the OP.
Just to keep you guys in the loop, the tournament is almost ready to start! We just need the rest of your timezones (a PM was sent out) and the brackets Smile . Also, make sure you read the first post if you haven't already!
I now have the match ups ready to go, all that is left is figuring out good times for everyone. Here are the match ups anyway:

Bob Saget!
Kei

Zander
Torterra14

8Bitman
MS ash

Oreos
Thunder of Zeus

ShinyMewTwo
Blader9

Flamerx1231
John

GB
Hero

Pikamari
ChibiD

This will start very soon and also, i have added some things to the 'set out' area and something to the prize bit.
How am I supposed to set up a match with Bob if he isn't registered here?
(Apr. 21, 2009  4:54 PM)Kei Wrote: How am I supposed to set up a match with Bob if he isn't registered here?

This is what i am trying to get into Hero's head. Times will be given for the match so you shouldn't need to worry about getting in contact but we are still working on the time bit.
(Apr. 21, 2009  9:18 PM)BOB SAGET Wrote: relax i got an account

Chief 2002 - Sigh ...

Fine, what time is good for you then? Sam question to Kei as well.

Or if you have already talked it over then please let me know.
um i can play right now
But your opponet might not be able to, this is my point.
i know tell me when he is ready i just put in his code
I'm leaving Hero with all the time bussissness since he knows what to do there.

Anyway, I will put the match ups on the OP for everyone to see and MS ash is a lucky one because 8Bitman as dropped out for a reason.
OK, well, here's what we'll do.

For the first round(s), you have 3 days to get your match done. After you have gotten your match done, I need a report of a win/loss. Now, I know you all have a foreign opponent, and they are being very stubborn about signing up here. So, I guess that you can tell me a time good for you, and I'll tell them so you can work something out. If you want to sign up there, you are welcome to the forum is http://www.smashboards.com and the tourny thread is http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 .

If there are any Qs, please PM me.
Just got demolished 2-0 by Bob. Good games. Smile

Haha. My first time playing in at least almost a year probably, I did a little better in the second match.
your not bad for a begginer. u did a lot better in the second round. i was angry when u picked FD though, its MKs worst stage and my worst stage personally with any character. lol. u should of used your projectiles more. it would of been more challenging for me to combo.
Hero, you posted a SWF link and didn't post the OFFICIAL SMASH BACK ROOM RULESET? WTF.

Here it is. Credit to Hylian from SWF...
I'm actually a Brawl pro on the Midwest circuit....XD

Quote:General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, indicating no consensus could be reached on the stage.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages. There are up to 8 stages available for stages striking under the SBR stage list (4 in starter, 4 in starter/counter). We recommend as a TO that you decide on the ideal number of stages to use for striking at your tournaments (3, 5, 7).

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Delfino (moved from S/C)
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Counter/Banned
Distant Planet (moved from C)
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion (moved from C)
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) (moved from C)
Norfair (moved from C)

Banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria (moved from C)
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone (moved from C)
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit (moved from C/B)
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett (moved from C/B)
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld (moved from C/B)
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Doubles Play

* Life Stealing is allowed

* Set team attack to ON

* Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles
Also note that, if both players agree, any stage can be played. Who wants to go to Summit though? Although I might take your MK to Onett for lolz...

If you like Smash, btw (64, Melee, or Brawl) join the Smash World Forums!
www.smashboards.com
doadrin
as a reference.
Make an intro post and find tourneys in your area!
/shameless plug

BTW, your 5 stock rule is baaaad...3 stocks man. 3.
i love how "pro" smash bros has items set to off

that's like playing mario kart without the goddamn items. they're part of the game
(Apr. 25, 2009  6:07 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: i love how "pro" smash bros has items set to off

that's like playing mario kart without the goddamn items. they're part of the game

Actually, there's a circuit for Item Standard Play. Just in Brawl, the items can make the game super unbalanced and take away a lot of the skill element in the game.

EX: I am Falco. You are Yoshi. You throw your items. I camp, reflect all day. I 2 or 3 stock you every time.

Theres a ruleset for item users, but I don't play that. I've seen the matches, they just don't take as much skill. Mostly luck and throwing around BS that just makes it...grr.

Take items away, however, and you force a player to use the characters innate abilities, not cross his fingers and hope for the Final Smash to go your way.
Mario Kart is a Bad comparison though. Mario Kart is meant to be a wacky racing game, and it just wouldn't be the same game without items. Without items, I can pick the fastest character and win every time. Items balance out MK. In Smash, they do nothing to add to balance.

Besides, name another mainstream fighting game that has items in it? Castlevania Judgement doesn't count and neither does some obscure fighter. A game that we all know, or was hyped by gaming journalism outlets?

Of course, you could always make the arguement that Sakurai and Sora LTD. didn't mean for Brawl to become competitive. Hell, they didn't want Melee to be competitive, and 64 was only meant to be a novelty advertisment! The Smash series is meant to be picked up and played by anyone, and that's how it's made. But that doesn't stop people from picking it up, and distilling it to a form where pure skill applies and doesn't rely on a lucky item spawn.

(Apr. 25, 2009  6:21 AM)fragbait Wrote: Mario Kart is a Bad comparison though. Mario Kart is meant to be a wacky racing game, and it just wouldn't be the same game without items.

smash bros is meant to be a wacky fighting game

i've played it without items and didn't find it much fun. i just disable the sucky items
(Apr. 25, 2009  6:21 AM)fragbait Wrote: Take items away, however, and you force a player to use the characters innate abilities, not cross his fingers and hope for the Final Smash to go your way.

Of course, you could always make the arguement that Sakurai and Sora LTD. didn't mean for Brawl to become competitive. ...
The Smash series is meant to be picked up and played by anyone, and that's how it's made....

I don't deny that. I'm just making the case for why items are not used in REAL tournaments. The only reason someone who plays on the normal circuit would play on the Items tourneys is for extra $$$$$$. (see Mew2King at WHOBO)
Plus, I was posting the ruleset used for tournaments on SWF. He posted the tourney there, so he's supposed to used the SBR's ruleset, with minimal changes. 5 stocks is too much. Matches are too long, and it doesn't help on WiFi.

If you are interested, Brad, this is a list of the items for ISP tournaments. Does this list look anything like yours?

Jack Krauser of SWF Wrote:NEUTRAL ITEMS:

(Sandbag) (Food) (Warp Star) (Bunny Hood) (Beam Sword) (Lip’s Stick) (Star Rod) (Super Scope) (Fire Flower) (Motion Sensor Bomb) (Freezie) (Smoke Ball) (Pitfall) (Mr. Saturn) (Green Shell) (Banana Peel) (Franklin Badge) (Screw Attack)

COUNTERPICK ITEMS:

(Assist Trophy) (Dragoon) (Metal Box) (Home-Run Bat) (Hammer) (Ray Gun) (Cracker Launcher) (Gooey Bomb) (Hothead) (Spring) (Unira)

BANNED ITEMS:

(Smash Ball) (Pokeball) (Containers) (Blast Box) (Maxim Tomato) (Heart Container) (Super Mushroom) (Poison Mushroom) (Starman) (Superspicy Curry) (Lightning) (Fan) (Golden Hammer) (Bob-Omb) (Smart Bomb) (Deku Nut) (Bumper) (Soccer Ball)

CHANGES FOR 2v2 PLAY:

Item Spawn Rate – Changed to ‘Medium’
(Team Healer) - Neutral
(Smash Ball) – Moved to Counterpick
(Superspicy Curry) – Moved to Counterpick
(Cracker Launcher) – Moved to Neutral
yeah i'm not trying to argue that you shouldn't disable items, just that i find it boring without them

final smash is bull though
(Apr. 25, 2009  6:34 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: yeah i'm not trying to argue that you shouldn't disable items, just that i find it boring without them

"Personally, I prefer the AIR!"

This signals incoming destruction. When I play the occasional casual game, I am unstoppable. Carping Landmaster. Triple Attack.
However, Pit's FS sucks. There, I said it. Falcon, get wrecked too.
Kei: Dont feel bad Kei, I got owned too haha.

fragbait: We made our own rules, and the tourny was originally hosted here. i just looked there for more participants.
(Apr. 25, 2009  6:34 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: yeah i'm not trying to argue that you shouldn't disable items, just that i find it boring without them

Yes, the final smash rocks but after a while it comes along to much.

The reason for no items on is to prove your skill but if anyone wants to have items then it will be changed.