Bicentennial Bey Tourney 2009- 3/14/09

on
Hosted by
Contact Host
Format

Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
cash  

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

Date: March 14th, 2009 (Raindate: March 15th, 2009)
Time: 1:00 pm until sun down
Cost: Free
Location: Bicentennial Park- 176 Hardenburg Ln,East Brunswick,NJ 08816
Format: Plastics (bring hms and mfb if you like)(Going by the restricted format list)
IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE BE THERE BY 1:00 SO WE CAN HAVE 45 MINUTES TO TRAIN AND START THE TOURNEY AT 1:45! I WOULD LIKE US TO HAVE MORE TOURNEY BATTLE TIME AND FREE BATTLES AFTERWARDS FOR BEYPOINTS.

Style: Round Robin/ Double Elimination
Stadiums used:
MFB Attack
MFB Balance Stadium(maybe)
MFB Stamina Stadium(maybe)
Tornado Balance
and any others some may choose to bring..TAKARA ONLY PLEASE!
NOTE: IT IS MANDATORY THAT ALL BEYBLADERS THAT WILL FREE BATTLE OR JUST PLAY HERE TO PRINT OUT A LOG SHEET!!! IT WILL BE EASIER TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR BATTLES. LOG CAN BE FOUND AND PRINTED BY USING THIS LINK:
http://worldbeyblade.org/wbotournamentrecord.pdf

Attendance List:
Bluezee
Pinoy Blader
Maz
EvilMeros187
BladeBee
EvilMeros187's Friend(maybe)
Anubis(maybe)
Ozzy(maybe)
Karice(maybe)
blackdranzer(maybe)
Strata(maybe)
Khomari(maybe)
Soloman(maybe)

Please be sure to contact me or Pinoy in advance if you know you wont be able to make it. Deadline for attendance is soon so please get with the program. Thank you.

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

Thats pretty much what i said lol. You seem to have misunderstood me when i said two groups of four and winner faces off, i meant two blocks of four each block has a round robin and the winners of the blocks face off.
Oh, then yes your idea is indeed correct. That was a mistake on my behalf sorry about that. This is how the system will work so everyone will have a chance to play everyone and there will still be enough time for extra battles if anyone wants to play for more points.
Three blocks makes things a lot simpler, just a suggestion.
Hmm..I think you are right brad. I just hope we have at least 9 people so we can do everything evenly and efficiently.
Awesome. I like that format. Gives everyone a great chance to win. You know what else i was actually thinking. What if once there are winners from the two blocks of four, the two blocks combine into one to make a block with 6 bladers and they all go at it round robin style, then the winner of that goes into the final block with the two already in there. Or even the top two of that block to make the final block also 4 people, like the originals.

Its the best way in my opinion to ensure the better players move on, and the best way (in my opinion) that you can have true double elimination with a round robin format.

What does everyone think of this if others are reading.
Hmm. I see what you mean. I also like that idea now that I have re-read it like 3 times lol. I will keep this in mind and mention this to Anubis and see what he thinks as well. I know I like it so he should too. Great thinking Maz. Maybe this type of format should also be added to the Rules Booklet if this situation occurs.
It seems needlessly complicated to me. It also seems to me that you don't really need to use the block system unless you have more than ten players. Still, I am always interested in hearing alternative tournament formats.
Maybe i just made it seem to complicated because i don't think its complicated at all. Glad to see bluezee agrees that its good. Ill try to post it in a more clear manner.
Okay here goes nothing.

Eight bladers.

Allan
Bob
Chris
Dan
Emma
Frank
Glen
Henry

They all get put into two blocks

Block A: Allan, Chris, Dan and Henry _____ (Dan wins)
Block B: Bob, Emma, Frank and Glen _____ (Bob wins)

The two winners move on to the championship block. Now we have 6 people who did not win their block. These six are Allan, Chris, Henry, Emma, Frank and Glen. They combine together to form Block C.

Block C: Allan, Chris, Henry, Emma, Frank and Glen

This is where double elimination kicks in. They all have another shot to make it to the championship block. Only now, not only the winner of the block will move on but also the second place blader.

Lets say Emma placed 1st in block C and Glen 2nd. The championship block will be as follows.

Championship block:
Dan (Block A winner)
Bob ( Block B winner)
Emma (Block C winner
Glen (Block C runner up)

Here are the benefits of this system. First of all this system is the best way double elimination can be implemented with a round robin as far as I can come up with. Second, this helps in the situation where the blocks are randomly selected and the best four bladers there end up in the same block and only one of them move on to the finals. Like this as you can see from the example, 3 bladers made it to the finals from block B, showing that a stacked block can move on multiple bladers. Im sure in a situation like this where one block is stacked with great competitors and only one makes it through there would be people upset. Third, This system allows for a lot of matches which makes for a lot of Beypoint distribution. Good for the all the bladers and the WBO. Finally it ensures that the final block is the best it can be, which in my opinion, and im sure a lot of the people on here would agree is great for the bladers.

If anyone disagrees with these benefits please let me know how you feel. Also if anyone can see any cons in this system please also say so.
That is a pretty nice idea right there. I'd definitely try it.
Thanks.
Another thought. If there are more than eight you can just add to the first two blocks.

Edit:
And another thing. Im sure there will be less skilled bladers there that dont want to free battle the better bladers to much for beypoints. Well after the championship block is decided the less skilled bladers would normaly be filtered out of the competition at this point so it would be a great time for them to free battle. The more skilled bladers will still be competing so they would be focused on the tournament. And the less skilled bladers will be in a more even playing field so they will be encouraged to free battle.
(Mar. 03, 2009  2:48 AM)Maz Wrote: Thanks.
Another thought. If there are more than eight you can just add to the first two blocks.

Maz, your systems makes alot of sense. Your system looks like it would make the tournament more intense, even though you only have a few people participating.
I like your system, Maz. My only question is why the runner up moves on as well?
I also like this system even more now that it has thoroughly been explained. This will definitely be taken into consideration when planning the tourney format this week.
For a few reasons Brad. Most importantly is the scenario where one block is filled with all the skilled bladers at the tournament and the other vise versa. This allows up to 3 people in one block to eventually make it to the finals and in my opinion solving that problem. I figure this system also ensures that the best bladers make it to the championship round as well.

Also in a championship block with 4 competitors rather than three, one person is going to end up with no faces. This adds to the intensity, pressure, importance and excitement of every match in the championship round.

And Bluezee thanks for the thoughts. Im glad to hear that. Im interested to see what pinoy thinks.
Hmm...

It's an innovative system, for sure.

I'm assuming that this is going by the 3V Battle System. That would mean that the first person to 3 would win a match, and the first person to 18 would progress on to the Championship Block, correct?

Block A
Allan vs. Dan
Allan vs. Henry
Allan vs. Chris
Dan vs. Chris
Dan vs. Henry
Chris vs. Henry

...and then, in Block C, the first person to 45 points would progress on, then the second-place winner would also progress on.

Block C
Allan vs. Chris
Chris vs. Henry
Henry vs. Emma
Emma vs. Frank
Frank vs. Glen
Glen vs. Allan
Allan vs. Henry
Allan vs. Emma
Allan vs. Frank
Chris vs. Emma
Chris vs. Frank
Chris vs. Glen
Henry vs. Frank
Henry vs. Glen
Glen vs. Emma

This would evenly distribute points, yes, but I feel this would be too time consuming and/or confusing. Unless this new system would only be implemented when the final 8 are decided, adding in a Block C at the start to accommodate more players would be hellish.

Also, even with only two original Blocks, having Block C battle in Round Robin format would be really time consuming unless you didn't make the format Round Robin.

Other than the aforementioned time issues, I don't see many obvious cons. This system's ability to widely distribute points and use of double-elimination would make it worth using, though a few changes would be needed to cut time (either dividing the blocks more or altering it from the 3V Battle System).

If the 3V Battle System is not used, would this system use single-battle format against each blader, allowing the first player to 6 (or 15 in Block C's case) be the one to move on to the Championship Block? I could see Block C being still time consuming, but not nearly as much as a 45-battle format.

EDIT: Also...Maz, what do you mean by...
Quote:Also in a championship block with 4 competitors rather than three, one person is going to end up with no faces. This adds to the intensity, pressure, importance and excitement of every match in the championship round.
...this?
To get out of the first block you would not need 18 points. 18 points would mean going undefeated and with a round robin format you don't need to be undefeated to win the block. Same with block C

If time is an issue take this into account. One block would be run at a time. The players in the other blocks have this time to do what they want. Same goes for the championship round there are players that are not part of it that have free time. Previously it would have just been an 8 person round robin. Thats already taking up a lot of time, and is less efficient than this.

By no faces i mean a bronze silver or gold face awarded by the WBO.
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:19 AM)Maz Wrote: To get out of the first block you would not need 18 points. 18 points would mean going undefeated and with a round robin format you don't need to be undefeated to win the block. Same with block C

If time is an issue take this into account. One block would be run at a time. The players in the other blocks have this time to do what they want. Same goes for the championship round there are players that are not part of it that have free time. Previously it would have just been an 8 person round robin. Thats already taking up a lot of time, and is less efficient than this.

By no faces i mean a bronze silver or gold face awarded by the WBO.

Going by the 3V Battle System, 18 points would just mean you won six battles (first to 3 counts as winning against an opponent). It wouldn't necessarily mean you won every battle you fought, it would just mean that Dan won three battles against Allan, Henry, and Chris. This would mean that at the most, he could lose only twice against each opponent.

Of course, I don't know if you'd use the 3V Battle System. How would the battle system work?
It would be 3v. When one blader is battling another they go by the official WBO rules. I don't understand what the problem with it is.
Why are you saying 3V System as if it's some magical thing? What are you talking about? Confused It's just standard battle. I think I need to rename it again. People keep acting like it's some alternate format or whatever.
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:40 AM)Maz Wrote: It would be 3v. When one blader is battling another they go by the official WBO rules. I don't understand what the problem with it is.

Theres no problem, necessarily. It's just that, by going by the 3V format, Blocks A and B would have to have a minimum of 18 battles, and Block C would have to have a minimum of 45 battles.

You could cut time if you went by the Round Robin System described in the rules, actually. I hadn't realized this before, but you're essentially combining the 3V Battle System with the Round Robin system, and giving the tournament a double-elimination format.

I'm not saying this is bad, I'm just saying that time may be an issue with this.

EDIT: I didn't think the 3V Battle System was like the standard battle system used. It's different than the "best two out of three", since someone has to win three Rounds in the 3V system.
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:50 AM)Grey Wrote: You could cut time if you went by the Round Robin System described in the rules, actually. I hadn't realized this before, but you're essentially combining the 3V Battle System with the Round Robin system, and giving the tournament a double-elimination format.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

THE 3V SYSTEM IS WHAT'S USED IN THE ROUND ROBIN SYSTEM
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:52 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:50 AM)Grey Wrote: You could cut time if you went by the Round Robin System described in the rules, actually. I hadn't realized this before, but you're essentially combining the 3V Battle System with the Round Robin system, and giving the tournament a double-elimination format.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

THE 3V SYSTEM IS WHAT'S USED IN THE ROUND ROBIN SYSTEM

Speechless

Are you going by the one listed in the rules or by a different Round Robin system? The way it's described in the rules clearly states each blader battles every other blader once. Not three times per battle.
WBO Rules Wrote:The official tournament format of the WBO is the Modified Round Robin System. In this system, every Blader BeyBattles every other Blader once.

WBO Rules Wrote:Official WBO BeyBattles are held in the 3V System. Every instance of the word BeyBattle in the WBO rulebook is considered a 3V BeyBattle.

You need to win three times to win a BeyBattle. A single-round BeyBattle is ridiculous and we've never even discussed the option of that.
The losing 6 block makes it sorta unfair to the 2 bladers who made it already. What if the two that make it from the six defeat them they didn't get double elim they just lost once.
(Mar. 03, 2009  3:58 AM)Black Dranzer Wrote: The losing 6 block makes it sorta unfair to the 2 bladers who made it already. What if the two that make it from the six defeat them they didn't get double elim they just lost once.

Then the Bladers who won were better. How is that unfair?