Beywiki merges with Beyblade Wiki!

(Oct. 03, 2015  10:11 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:53 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: We're hosting our content on a third-party service that we cannot really control. That's true.

Considering all the host troubles we have gone through since last Christmas though, this is probably a very good thing actually, hah. I personally prefer to leave such issues and their resolving to a team like Wikia (which is super collaborative by the way, guys) than to profusely stress myself over how to fix Beywiki like it has happened in the past.

I definitely agree with this. MediaWiki is some beastly software, so I'm more than happy to let someone else manage it. Smile
Very cool news. I assume our content will still be backed up somewhere in the case that wikia ever went down? Also, seeing some of the threads that need to be transferred over gave me a really cool idea. I would love to see each previous tournament get its own page on wikia. This would give us an awesome way to display the information gathered in the tournament spreadsheets (format, winners, etc.) as well as photos from the event, it could be a really cool way to establish a true tournament log for the WBO.
Wikia never works on my phone, so this isn't very great at all.
I liked how BeyWiki was easy to get to and read on my phone.

rip information
What's your phone and in which aspects does it not work? We'll do our best to resolve them.
This is good news to hear. I think merging allows for better fact verification and more articles being written.

Props for this change!
(Oct. 03, 2015  10:18 PM)Time Wrote: Very cool news. I assume our content will still be backed up somewhere in the case that wikia ever went down? Also, seeing some of the threads that need to be transferred over gave me a really cool idea. I would love to see each previous tournament get its own page on wikia. This would give us an awesome way to display the information gathered in the tournament spreadsheets (format, winners, etc.) as well as photos from the event, it could be a really cool way to establish a true tournament log for the WBO.

This is definitely an awesome dream goal, so I definitely hope it happens. It might not be the priority for now, but we really need to do it eventually.

And hearing all the access issues is odd, hopefully we can fix that so everybody has an easy time accessing the Beyblade Wiki. The information is definitely not lost now or anything like that hah.
That's actually a great idea and I'd love to see that myself. If the committee is interested in articles for individual WBO tournaments, I can organise a clean method to do this so that everyone can see. The committee would probably need to decide who is responsible for keeping these articles tournament articles up-to-date though.
I'd be down with working with a few people on this.
(Oct. 03, 2015  10:28 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: What's your phone and in which aspects does it not work? We'll do our best to resolve them.

5s.
Not that it matters, it's Wikia in general. I've had it take 2 minutes to fully load a page.
Whatever.
(Oct. 03, 2015  11:46 PM)Neo Wrote:
(Oct. 03, 2015  10:28 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: What's your phone and in which aspects does it not work? We'll do our best to resolve them.

5s.
Not that it matters, it's Wikia in general. I've had it take 2 minutes to fully load a page.
Whatever.

That's odd. Phone model does matter in compatibility, if you said something like a HTC g2 or an iPhone 3g, we'd have a problem, because those models are considerably old.

However, since you have a phone that's fairly recent and is still being updated or is pretty close to what's standard to today, I think it'd have something to do with your interest connection or your service provider.

I'm on an LG G2 and wikia is pretty fly for the most part, other than things like tables. Those show up as like, 100px wide for me and are scrollable.
(Oct. 04, 2015  12:06 AM)Shirayuki Wrote:
(Oct. 03, 2015  11:46 PM)Neo Wrote:

5s.
Whatever.

That's odd. Phone model does matter in compatibility, if you said something like a HTC g2 or an iPhone 3g, we'd have a problem, because those models are considerably old.

However, since you have a phone that's fairly recent and is still being updated or is pretty close to what's standard to today, I think it'd have something to do with your interest connection or your service provider.

I'm on an LG G2 and wikia is pretty fly for the most part, other than things like tables. Those show up as like, 100px wide for me and are scrollable.

My service and Internet are perfect. Wikia is the main issue.
The main page of Beyblade Wikia is 4.2 MB, the WBO's is around 900 KB. Of course it's Wikia.
But our page is rather simple, perhaps too simple even, hah. Clearly having more content on the homepage has worked wonders for the Beyblade Wiki and for its thousands of visitors.
IMO the WBO's design is perfect. Everything looks great, and on top of everything, it always run smoothly.
The 4.2MB will likely be down to the images used on the main page if I'm honest. I personally haven't had issues in the past, nor have I heard from anyone that they have either, so this is all news to me. I can try to optimise the images used on the main page to reduce the size, but whether that will help or not, I'm not entirely sure.

Is it just the main page you struggle with, or do articles produce the same result?

Neo; I've also updated the Home Page to show an entirely different set of content within the mobile skin, which should be better optimised on your iPhone 5S. Has that helped at all?
This is definitely an interesting move, the beyblade wiki definitely needs a lot of work on updates, and just adding stuff like a parts list (which was my favorite part of beywiki). Once those things get done i think Beyblade wiki will turn out to be an amazing resource for new bladers. I also think it's a bit too hasbro based, it's probably just me but i would prefer if it was more Japanese based since they are the creators, and just have the Hasbro stuff as a side note on the actual article. I am definitely willing to help out on this project.
It's the whole wiki. I swear, everytime I check anything on Beyblade Wiki, it makes all my other pages load forever.

Do you think it's possible to disable the Flash Player Plugin ?
You can disable Flash in your own browser. I also provided tons of other options earlier.

I would ask that anyone who worries about this move trust in our capacity to do the right thing.

I think 4.2 MB is too heavy for a front page. But I also acknowledge that this isn't an unusually high page size in 2015. I would ask Mana to think about what we could do there. Smile
(Oct. 04, 2015  2:26 AM)1234beyblade Wrote: This is definitely an interesting move, the beyblade wiki definitely needs a lot of work on updates, and just adding stuff like a parts list (which was my favorite part of beywiki). Once those things get done i think Beyblade wiki will turn out to be an amazing resource for new bladers. I also think it's a bit too hasbro based, it's probably just me but i would prefer if it was more Japanese based since they are the creators, and just have the Hasbro stuff as a side note on the actual article. I am definitely willing to help out on this project.

Haha, yeah, the Wiki needs a lot of work, but that's what this project is all about. By merging the content from both Wikis, presenting the Wiki as a WBO project and working on everything together, we hope to create a well-presented Wiki that is the go-to place for Beyblade information. We've all been extremely excited for this when we've been planning it, and now it's just a matter of getting everything transitioned and cleaned.

I do understand the Hasbro point completely. I'm also used to the original terminology however, as I mentioned in another thread earlier, we're using Hasbro terminology because it's far better for our SEO and brings in more readers, specifically children who have picked up the Hasbro toys or watched the dubbed show. It's a sacrifice we make to make the Wiki a better place in my opinion, haha.

It's nice that you're willing to help out! We're slowly getting things started over in the Beywiki Project board, so it's worth hopping over there and seeing what needs doing. We're also distributing Overseer rights to those who join our dedicated Wiki team, so that's a nice incentive as well and gives you a few extra editing tools!

(Oct. 04, 2015  2:29 AM)MissingNo. Wrote: It's the whole wiki. I swear, everytime I check anything on Beyblade Wiki, it makes all my other pages load forever.

Do you think it's possible to disable the Flash Player Plugin ?

Hmm, peculiar. Would you mind PMing me with some information on the computer/device you're viewing the Wiki on so I can see if I can replicate the issue on my end? It could very well be something on Wikia's end but I'd like to see if I can dig through and see if any errors pop up.

I wasn't aware that we had anything that ran using Flash on the Wiki; as far as I know, everything is run on HTML5 and JavaScript now. If anything, you could try disabling JavaScript in your browser settings and attempt to access the Wiki, as JavaScript can be quite intensive depending on what is being loaded in.

(Oct. 04, 2015  2:58 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I think 4.2 MB is too heavy for a front page. But I also acknowledge that this isn't an unusually high page size in 2015. I would ask Mana to think about what we could do there. Smile

Indeed. I'm investigating ways to crop down on this file size now, as it does appear to be the images that are causing the issue.
I'll PM you about it later Mana!
Wow! This was unexpected, but I feel this is a great move to help the WBO and Beyblade Wiki. We'll get a ton of bladers! Congrats!
I don't have much to add except that I really dislike the formatting of the wiki websites. It makes it hard to find what you're after and there just seems to be too much going on. But hopefully this collaborative effort means that the website will be a lot more refined and easier to follow.

It's probably a good thing since the wiki is probably the go to site for many people coming into Beyblade, I just never liked the website in general.
It seems good.. as long as we get WBO tournaments advertised to a larger audience lol Grin

Edit:
blah
Yeah. I myself disapproved a hundred people from the Beyblade wikia over the past many years ( long story, they read a lot of unreliable stuff there and started spewing it around ). Every time I googled I got it as the first option for articles, but the articles were just... well you know Uncertain

Hopefully this merge changes everything, better than people being deceived on the Beyblade wikia
(Oct. 04, 2015  4:50 AM)blah Wrote: I don't have much to add except that I really dislike the formatting of the wiki websites. It makes it hard to find what you're after and there just seems to be too much going on. But hopefully this collaborative effort means that the website will be a lot more refined and easier to follow.

It's probably a good thing since the wiki is probably the go to site for many people coming into Beyblade, I just never liked the website in general.

Hey, this is definitely something I'm thinking on, too. Feel free to PM me your thoughts.
One of the easiest decisions I've ever had to weigh in on. There's certainly some things worth being concerned about, but the positives far outweigh the negatives, and as Brad mentioned, I think everyone should trust in our capacity to do the right thing.

The information and potentially layout/design of Beyblade Wikia will become better as a result of the merge with Beywiki and greater contribution from the WBO, and the WBO will become larger as a result of Beyblade Wikia's greater reach to the general population searching for Beyblade information. This is two of the largest Beyblade websites in the world joining forces. It's a win-win situation for everyone!