Beywiki merges with Beyblade Wiki!

We at the WBO are proud to announce the next step in our mission of spreading awareness of Beyblade and giving Bladers the information they need to reach their maximum potential: Beyblade Wiki is now the official wiki platform of the WBO, and we will be merging all Beywiki articles and assets into it.

Why are we doing this?

We believe it’s a great move for us as an organization, and will prove enormously beneficial to the Beyblade community at large. Beyblade Wiki’s increased reach will ensure that the amazing research conducted here at the WBO will reach a much larger community of Bladers.

And with our host migration having left our own Beywiki in a pretty poor state, there’s never been a better time to move on to greener pastures.

This isn’t just the perfect time for us, either; Beyblade Wiki has been recently undergoing major positive changes at the hands of ~Mana~, who was thrilled at the opportunity to work together on creating the best Beyblade encyclopedia possible. None of this would be happening without his generosity and co-operation, so please show him your full appreciation!

Join the Wiki Team

From simple fixes to all-new pages, we have an unsurprisingly long list of work to do — but we’re optimistic we can get it done in record time, thanks to some updating editing procedures and more flexible approval processes.

But we’re still going to need a ton of help, so we’re building a dedicated Wiki Team to help us not only move our existing content to Beyblade Wiki, but also regularly write, review, and approve article drafts before they go live.

Help us build the best Beyblade encyclopedia we can. Send me a private message if you’re interested in joining the Wiki Team!

What's changing
  • In case it wasn't clear, it's really Beywiki merging into the Beyblade Wiki, so it'll be hosted entirely over at Wikia.

• Anybody can write and publish articles, as per Wikia's values. This means that it is no longer strictly necessary to post drafts in the Beyblade Wiki forum before publishing them to the Wiki.

However, frequent contributors are still expected to discuss their findings in that forum before publishing their articles. Additionally, as we will be aggressively editing and moderating edits for new releases and popular articles, you might end up wasting a ton of time if you try to do it alone.

• Articles that are still being heavily researched by the community — like upcoming or new releases — will come with a note saying that all findings are provisional.

• Once an article on the Wiki feels what we reach is a "complete" state, we will lock it to prevent abuse. We will unlock articles if new information comes to light.

While this list focuses on hobby-related articles, we’ll still be developing the anime and manga-related sections of Beyblade Wiki, so feel free to contribute there too!

A new approach: part-specific articles

Since the beginning, we’ve been writing articles strictly on a Beybade-by-Beyblade basis. While this did reduce the number of drafts that had to be reviewed, it created some issues:
  • To write a single article took a large investment of time;
  • Too many articles piled up in the review queue;
  • The release of new parts could prevent entire articles from being published;
  • Over time, two different Beyblade articles with a shared part could end up having completely different descriptions for those parts.

We've been looking for ways to fix all of those issues for a while, and cornerstone contributor Nocto has presented us with the perfect method to use: part-specific articles!

Instead of writing articles about entire Beyblades, we’re changing our approach to reflect the way the game is actually played and researched: part-by-part.

Maybe you’re not comfortable writing an entire article about Death Quetzalcoatl 125RDF. But maybe you can explain how Death works, and in what types of customizations it’s useful.

Parts will be stored as their own articles, and larger Beyblade articles will automatically pull in the content for each part from those articles. This way, not only does each part and each Beyblade gets its own article, but if information on a part changes, it can be updated across every Beyblade article at once.

Anybody can help!

Sure, if you think about it, this merge might seem really complex and perhaps even 'impossible', but it's far from that! In fact, we've started making a list of articles Beywiki has and separating them into different categories to make it easier to know what to do with them. So, let's start with establishing that first, and then just doing the work, instead of scrambling everywhere.

Here's all the B articles to give you an example:

Categorized B- list (Click to View)

All Italian, Turkish and French versions should be transfered as-is on the Beyblade Wikia!

That's only the list of articles starting with B that we had on Beywiki. So, do you still think it's a mountain of work? Surely not! We will post the other letter lists soon, but you can also help by just choosing a letter and comparing the versions of common articles and post the lists you make in the Beywiki Project forum!

And of course, we'll also need help to actually make the changes after the articles have been categorized!

To help with filtering articles from both sites and categorizing them properly, please post here:
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...transition

If you can help us move the articles, whether by simply copying and pasting them or merging Beyblade Wiki's and Beywiki's versions together, here are the two topics to know where to start and what to do:
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...blade-Wiki
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...d-together

All significant contributors will be rewarded with the Peridot Face [Image: peridotface.png]! That's how you know someone's really gone out of their way to help the community!

Infinite thanks in advance to all people who will help in one way or another! This is a huge opportunity in so many ways, and it's time to take Beywiki to another level, all together!

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to post them right here, we'll be happy to answer!

Without further ado, we'll pass the mic to the guy without whom this would all be impossible: ~Mana~!!
Thanks @[Kai-V]! Hey everyone! For those who don't know me; I'm ~Mana~, the "head honcho" over at Beyblade Wiki!

It's great to finally be able to announce this collaboration between Beyblade Wiki and the World Beyblade Organization! The WBO Committee and I have been discussing this for around a month to ensure that we can unite both of our communities and provide readers visiting the Wiki with the best experience that we can deliver.

As has already been noted, this is a massive undertaking for everyone, with articles needing merging and templates needing adjusting. We would love for everyone and anyone interested to come and join us in this collaboration.

So what is changing for the WBO over on Beyblade Wiki? Well, to name a few changes:
  • The WBO Committee will be joining the administrative board over on Beyblade Wiki.
  • The WBO will have it's own presence on the Wiki's homepage, allowing for tournament advertising and news announcements.
  • Articles will now include links to WBO discussion threads.
  • Systems have been put in place to continue to support Beywiki's multi-lingual articles.
  • A user right has been created for our dedicated Wiki team; the Overseer right.
  • Templates have been implemented to support the drafting system.

To support users with article conversion, we've also written a series of guides detailing the process for conversion and helping you to understand some new features, such as our Part-Specific Articles! These guides, alongside the changes we're making to support the WBO, will be rolled out later this evening so keep an eye out for the changes!

Thank you to both the WBO Committee for this awesome opportunity, and you, the community, for your future support in this huge endeavour! It's amazing what sending a crazy idea to Brad can achieve, and I'm super excited to be working with all of you in what could potentially be one of the largest WBO projects to date!

And now, I believe @[Bey Brad] would like to say a few words! Take it away, Brad!
Haha, this is the best format for a news post ever.

When I reached out to Mana to see how the WBO and Beyblade Wiki could work together, I had no idea that he would reply with the proposal for Beywiki and Beyblade Wiki to merge. I had expected an affiliation, or something!

But when I brought it to the Committee, the reaction was unanimous: this was the best step we could take to ensure the future of the Wiki project and to educate more Bladers about the intricacies of the game. And, in turn, grow the WBO and our competitive events.

I expect that some of you might feel hesitant about this. You shouldn't. Kai-V and Mana are committed to making this awesome. And in particular, I've been blown away by Mana's work and his willingness to jump straight into things. I never knew him before this, but: you are a gem, man. Thanks for making this possible; we are all super happy to be working with you.

Other than reaching out I can't take credit for any of this, so be sure to thank them both. They've taken on a huge workload to make this possible. THANKS, YOU TWO!

Here's to a brighter future for the WBO and Beyblade Wiki. Together.
It is a new age! Congratulations everyone. I'm excited to help outnin anyway possible.
This is awesome news, great to see the two sites coming together. Should be good for everyone.
I don't agree this decision at all. Wikia servers are horrible, and always full of ads. I've never been able to enjoy reading anything on it because of the ads popping everywhere. Sad to see our organization going so low by fusionning with Wikia.
(Oct. 03, 2015  8:58 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't agree this at all. Wikia servers are horrible, and always full of ads. I've never been able to enjoy reading anything on it because of the ads popping everywhere. Sad to see our organization going so low by fusionning with Wikia.

There are a few ads sure, but they do not really have much of an impact. It is not really sad or low, it is good surely, as there is more knowledge for everyone.
This is definitely an interesting choice from both parties.

I hope it works out for the best.
(Oct. 03, 2015  8:58 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't agree this at all. Wikia servers are horrible, and always full of ads. I've never been able to enjoy reading anything on it because of the ads popping everywhere. Sad to see our organization going so low by fusionning with Wikia.

I agree, I hate adverts getting in the way, but the My Preferences section in your Wikia account has an option to disable adverts:
Not sure I can comment on Wikia's servers, but I very rarely have issues with them.
I'm actually happy that BeyWiki is being reformatted/merged, will hopefully help get information updated and accurate. Super excited about this, and will definitely help to contribute. Smile
(Oct. 03, 2015  8:58 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't agree this decision at all. Wikia servers are horrible, and always full of ads. I've never been able to enjoy reading anything on it because of the ads popping everywhere. Sad to see our organization going so low by fusionning with Wikia.

There is this really cool thing called Ad Blockers that work well.
My computer is slow. Very slow. And whenever I go on a page hosted by Wikia, there's a bunch of ads, running with Adobe Flash Player that reduces dramatically it speed. I've never experienced this problem anywhere but on Wikia.
(Oct. 03, 2015  8:58 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't agree this decision at all. Wikia servers are horrible, and always full of ads. I've never been able to enjoy reading anything on it because of the ads popping everywhere. Sad to see our organization going so low by fusionning with Wikia.

Eh, this is actually going high, not low at all. There are a lot more pros than cons, and since we can now manage the content, it will basically not be much different from Beywiki at all. The ads did bother me but I was ready to deal with them, but now that ~Mana~ has posted a solution to get rid of them it makes me even happier hah.

I mean, we can all have our opinions, but I hope you will see eventually that both site's good points are getting fused into an even greater site. So, only good things can hardly make a bad thing, no ?
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:09 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: My computer is slow. Very slow. And whenever I go on a page hosted by Wikia, there's a bunch of ads, running with Adobe Flash Player that reduces dramatically it speed. I've never experienced this problem anywhere but on Wikia.

Then that's your own computers fault, for being slow. Like *Ginga* mentioned, use Adblocker or the option ~Mana~ suggested.

Excited for this whole project, I expect to see a lot of people helping, especially the Mentors! Get at that Peridot face guys!
Amazing news! I'm really happy we decided to go ahead and do this! This really is a major step forward for Beywiki and Beyblade Wiki. Cheers!
Um, I don't exactly know how to feel, but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks ~Mana~!
I don't want to be the dude that always disagree when everybody agree, like I did with the Burst announcement, but here we are again.

We all know that Beyblade Wikia is a lot more popular than Beywiki. Whatever thing about beyblade you type on Google, Beyblade Wiki will pop first. But the major difference between Beyblade Wiki and Beywiki is the overall quality.

Beyblade Wiki's articles are outdated. Almost every combination suggested are not competitive at all, and sometimes simply ridiculous. Unlike Beywiki, they don't post a message to say that the combinations are outdated nor not competitive at all.

About Wikia itself, it is bad. Like I previously said there's ads literally everywhere, and whenever anybody click on a Wikia hosted page, a process called plugin-container.exe start on your computer, that consumes a lot of RAM, like 300 mo +. For users that can't afford a powerfull computer, it's something to think about.

Another difference between Wikia and Beywiki is that Wikia uses cookies in order to adapt it ads. Beywiki doesn't. Here at the World Beyblade Organization/Beywiki, one of the most important value was to not annoy the users with ads, and avoid as much as possible cookies in order to make the website run smoothly for everybody.

In the facts, this decision is bad. Maybe it would make us a bit more popular, I can agree on that, but the ads, the slowness, the cookies and all the time we'll have to put on the Wikia articles to correct everything make of this decision a bad decision. It's just my personal opinion, I know it won't change anything about this announcement, I just wanted to share my personal toughts about it.
I figured someone would bring it up, so I think it's fine if MissingNo's the first.

I'm not a fan of those kinds of advertisements, either. But you can disable flash on Wikia's site, or use an Ad Blocker, or actually use Wikia's built-in option to turn off ads — which is something I'm just finding out about now. That is incredibly generous of them, and changes the way I view Wikia as an organization immensely.

You can block all tracking scripts using the browser plugin Ghostery, BTW. Check it out!

So, there are no shortage of options available to solve what appears to be your primary issue. I hope you'll also view this issue in a new light now, too. Smile

Moving to Wikia doesn't damage the philosophy of the WBO, in my opinion. We are making sacrifices, sure. We're hosting our content on a third-party service that we cannot really control. That's true.

But it's a compromise, and the benefit is enormous. We inherit all of the search engine rankings that Wikia has earned. We inherit the huge amount of traffic that the Wikia already gets. We inherit a ton of content that fills many, many holes in the existing Beywiki database. We get the support of the Wikia team. And probably most importantly, we get to have someone like Mana to hold our hands through everything. lol

Life is full of compromises. This one has such obvious benefits that to avoid it due to petty concerns, and certainly worsening the future prospects of the WBO in the process, would be selfish.

I totally believe this is one of the most important decisions the WBO has ever made. And I totally believe we made the right choice.

Quote:Beyblade Wiki's articles are outdated. Almost every combination suggested are not competitive at all, and sometimes simply ridiculous. Unlike Beywiki, they don't post a message to say that the combinations are outdated nor not competitive at all.

This will obviously not remain this way with us now leading the project. It will have whatever information Beywiki would've had.
Is this worse when using a mobile device?
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:56 PM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: Is this worse when using a mobile device?

Nothing could be worse than the current state of the now-defunct Beywiki, on any device. lol

Wikia has a mobile responsive theme, so we're inheriting that, too. Awesome!
On my computer, I just can't use Beyblade Wikia. It loads forever, while plugin-container uses more and more RAM, and eventually I need to restart my browser.
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:59 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:56 PM)J.I.N.B.E.E! Wrote: Is this worse when using a mobile device?

Nothing could be worse than the current state of the now-defunct Beywiki, on any device. lol

Wikia has a mobile responsive theme, so we're inheriting that, too. Awesome!

Um... cool!

Beyblade Wiki seems to work just fine in mobile but not as well in Desktop site, but on my computer it works fine so it shouldn't be a problem for me.
(Oct. 03, 2015  10:02 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: On my computer, I just can't use Beyblade Wikia. It loads forever, while plugin-container uses more and more RAM, and eventually I need to restart my browser.

This is your issue, and there are various ways you can take control of your browser and correct them. If you want to continue to complain even after knowing that, there's not much I can do about it, is there?

That said, IMO the front page of Beyblade Wiki is a bit heavy. There is some work we could do there with image compression and such. But that's just related to file size, and there's nothing there atypical of the modern web.
(Oct. 03, 2015  9:53 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: We're hosting our content on a third-party service that we cannot really control. That's true.

Considering all the host troubles we have gone through since last Christmas though, this is probably a very good thing actually, hah. I personally prefer to leave such issues and their resolving to a team like Wikia (which is super collaborative by the way, guys) than to profusely stress myself over how to fix Beywiki like it has happened in the past.
(Oct. 03, 2015  10:02 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: On my computer, I just can't use Beyblade Wikia. It loads forever, while plugin-container uses more and more RAM, and eventually I need to restart my browser.

The Wiki uses little-to-no plugins, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. From a RAM perspective; I currently have 9 Wiki tabs open as I'm rolling out the changes at the moment and it's using 120MB total, so I'm not sure why it would cause your browser to crash either.

If you'd like to discuss this further and see how I can assist you, feel free to message me! I'm interested in what could possibly be causing this problem for you but not for anyone else.