Beyblade Random Thoughts

(Sep. 08, 2015  12:25 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: Hey guys! I'm currently taking a class called "Games, Game Theory, and Leadership," and I'm planning to write about Beyblade for my first paper. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble thinking of a good thesis that goes beyond simply explaining the game. Are there any real-life themes or strategies that are played out in a battle? Any complicated aspect of the game that I could shed some light on? I thought about describing the physics behind it, but I don't think that's quite what the teacher is looking for. Just want to get some ideas bouncing back and forth so I'll have an idea of where to begin.
Well if you can't do the physics behind it maybe you could describe different player mentalities and such. Like the emotions a player could go through such as stress, confidence, etc while they are about to play a match, in stalling clause or after the reveal and such. Or is that not really what your looking for?
Yeah, just like all good games, it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. A beyblade match can be like a chess match, trying to counter your opponent's strategy, or coming up with a dominant strategy of your own.
(Sep. 08, 2015  12:25 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: Hey guys! I'm currently taking a class called "Games, Game Theory, and Leadership," and I'm planning to write about Beyblade for my first paper. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble thinking of a good thesis that goes beyond simply explaining the game. Are there any real-life themes or strategies that are played out in a battle? Any complicated aspect of the game that I could shed some light on? I thought about describing the physics behind it, but I don't think that's quite what the teacher is looking for. Just want to get some ideas bouncing back and forth so I'll have an idea of where to begin.

I would talk about the complex array of type matchups possible in Beyblade. Sure, you have Attack, Defense, and Stamina in your generic rock-paper-scissors matchup, but there's also Balance types and hybrids to consider, as well as left-spin. Honestly, the thing that I love mot about Beyblade is the interplay and balancing involved with making Balance types or hybrids, and then coming up with a lineup of combos to take to a tournament. Trying to make as much of an "anti-meta" combo as possible, and building your Beyblades to counter each others' weaknesses is one of my favorite parts of Beyblade as a hobby and as a sport.
How about how focusing on how the actual "gameplay" aspect of competitive Beyblade is shockingly short when compared to the time invested in preparation? How it's actually more metagame than game to a disproportionate degree?
(Sep. 08, 2015  1:50 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: How about how focusing on how the actual "gameplay" aspect of competitive Beyblade is shockingly short when compared to the time invested in preparation? How it's actually more metagame than game to a disproportionate degree?
I have to agree with Brad on this, I never really thought about it until now, but your 100% right about that. The whole aspect of competitive Beyblade is the Meta. I think thats a great topic to include in the thesis.
Thanks for your ideas, guys! I'll take them into consideration when I have class tomorrow & hopefully have a better picture of the goal of the essay. I was hoping for something that I could really analyze in-depth without simply stating the facts, but I guess I'll just play it by ear for now Smile
(Sep. 08, 2015  2:21 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: I was hoping for something that I could really analyze in-depth without simply stating the facts, but I guess I'll just play it by ear for now Smile

Unhappy
When you try to help beyblade wiki by correcting some of their articles and then they change it back and tell you that what was there before was right (it wasn't). Sigh...
I'm not even surprised. Beyblade wiki is a joke.
Ah, that may just be one person acting wrong, thinking they are right. Do you remember who reverted the edit ?
Yeah, would you mind sourcing the edit? I haven't reverted any edits in around a week or so, so it wasn't me who actioned it. There's only one other person who can actively rollback and edit at the moment, and she's usually quite perceptive, so it might have been a mistake.

Not really sure we can be considered a "joke" over a one-off like this though...
(Sep. 08, 2015  1:50 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: How about how focusing on how the actual "gameplay" aspect of competitive Beyblade is shockingly short when compared to the time invested in preparation? How it's actually more metagame than game to a disproportionate degree?

For sure, almost to extreme levels - this was a huge shock to the system when I first started attending events.
Unrelated, but your avatar is amazing.

This is what makes overcoming type disadvantages all the more satisfying when you're able to accomplish them in competitive play. Especially when it isn't just due to luck or a bad launch on your opponents part (in Stamina versus Attack, for example), but when for example, you successfully Gattyaki your opponents Stamina type with your Defense type to win a BeyBattle because you know it would be impossible to outspin them. Or even more simply when you're down 2-0 in a BeyBattle and make subtle adjustments after reading your opponents movements and tendencies to come back and win 3-2.

Preparation is definitely the biggest part of Beyblade, but in many cases I think the way a Blader actually plays and reacts to the different situations presented to them–despite how the odds are stacked–is what separates the good Bladers from the great.
Kei, I would love if you could document some of these types of situations in a playbook of sorts. I think it would be such a huge boon to elevating the way Beyblade is seen competitive if we could transform that into some really cool piece of content :')
You want me to give away all my secrets? Serious

It would be difficult to document them all! It's really instinctive and reactionary in many ways since every match up is different, every Blader has a different way of playing. And the things that can tilt a battle in your favour are often so minor that it's difficult for people other than yourself to observe. I think it's a largely under explored area of Beyblade just because it's so difficult to quantify besides saying incredibly generic things like "observe when your opponent typically launches in the countdown; slightly early, on-time, or slightly late? Evaluate when it would be advantageous for you to launch based on the match-up". It's really minute.
OK, well maybe we could just run through a few examples some time Tongue_out
(Sep. 08, 2015  4:58 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Yeah, would you mind sourcing the edit? I haven't reverted any edits in around a week or so, so it wasn't me who actioned it. There's only one other person who can actively rollback and edit at the moment, and she's usually quite perceptive, so it might have been a mistake.

Not really sure we can be considered a "joke" over a one-off like this though...

Sorry this wasn't recent. I was just reminded of it and it frustrated me. The person who reverted the edit was Edboy I think.
No way. This can't be real gold.
That is just a personal mekki recolour.
o weak, i thought it was a tournament prize or something
only Light Launcher in japanese tournament has the color of the placers.
That's the guy on Yahoo Japan Auctions who does the custom grip auctions, they usually go for 1000 yen or so.
Yeah I want those light launchers, but I have only seen them on ebay for ridiculous prices. I want to have a full garage on my burst account