Beyblade Random Thoughts

Because the shape of a wheel has a much smaller effect on it than both height matchups and spin direction. Flame was only noted for effectiveness because it had good stamina - the destabilisation people went on about was due to the height, and LTSC completely outclassed flame etc "destabiliser" combos - which were actually just an error, in the end - while SF may make them seem different at first, it never did allow them to KO anything reliably or take hits any better than WD, otherwise it would probably still be around, and furthermore, that is KOing and Defending, not destabilizing, so it doesn't "count".

LDrago mainly used the opposite spin+aggressive movement method combined in addition to low height to destabilise opponents. It had enough aggression at the time to be able to KO most things it couldn't outspin, which prevented it being straight outclassed by LTSC's. That type of combo is still around, actually. MF LDD BD145MF and the like were some of the best answers to E230 at least when it was first introduced, because they destabilised it.

Basically, what we called destabilisers weren't ever a proper type of combo, they were just bad LTSC's.
Destabilization is a thing and some parts do it slightly better than others, but it basically only makes a difference if one of the other causes is present - having a destabilising top side doesn't matter unless you get it under an opponent, being able to smash opponents downwards doesn't matter if you're taller.
Oh, I'm sorry.

I've been on for about a week, been afk for a while.
Man I wish this can always happen in a Hasbro stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3IuZ8_BxIk
I was just fooling around with Hasbro's exclusive U61 spin track, and I found that it matches the opaque bronze-ish capricorn clear wheel and face bolt from a face off set I forgot the name of at the moment. When both are together with a Takara phantom in attack mode, it makes a really neat looking bey that's shaped similar to a mushroom, and kind of looks like some sort of amulet. It could probably done slightly similar by using a hasbro phantom, but the side with engravings rather than a smirk is not in Hasbro's variant, due to there being no mode change, and the bottom being completely hollow.
Oh, he set was Poison Pegasus and Fury Capricorn, Poison Fury Two-Pack ...
Urgh, my launching is so darned inconsistent. Yesterday I was doing great with a combo, like 80% KO rate, sat down to test today and barely managed 20% and kept self KOing. Went outside and hit the punching bag for a little to work out the frustration (forgetting to put on any gloves in the process lol) and then sat back down and I'm back to 80% without self KOing, and I don't think I'm doing anything different. It's really difficult to test with such inconsistency on my part, and the self-KOing thing is weird because it means it's not related to launching plain harder because it should self KO more, and I can go all day at 20% some days, so it's not just warming up. I also get more OS's with attackers that can do that rather than just more KO's... I guess I'm just really inconsistent...
I always thought why takara gave hasbro to make beyblades and not to mattel?
i finally got a BB-10 while i was in singapore and now i'm home, which means that I CAN FINALLY START CONTRIBUTING TO TESTING! =D wheee still not too confident with my launch techniques though, so i don't know how valid my results will be, but i hope to help as much as i can!
Hah, I can still barely manage a consistent 20 rounds with an attacker. If you aren't confident with it, hold off testing with RF etc for a while until you are.

(Sep. 06, 2012  2:10 PM)?Mr.MyStery? Wrote: I always thought why takara gave hasbro to make beyblades and not to mattel?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Hasbro and Takara have an incredibly strong history of licensing agreements with each other?

Curious, did you actually try to sate that curiosity with research or decided just to be lazy like everyone else despite having a literally mindblowing resource like the internet available to you? I mean, there is a whole section on takara's wikipedia page titled "relationship with hasbro"...

You could've at least chosen a brand like Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of hasbro which handles more competitive hobbies like MtG, the idea of which has been discussed before.
(Sep. 06, 2012  2:35 PM)th!nk Wrote: Hah, I can still barely manage a consistent 20 rounds with an attacker. If you aren't confident with it, hold off testing with RF etc for a while until you are.

(Sep. 06, 2012  2:10 PM)?Mr.MyStery? Wrote: I always thought why takara gave hasbro to make beyblades and not to mattel?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Hasbro and Takara have an incredibly strong history of licensing agreements with each other?

Curious, did you actually try to sate that curiosity with research or decided just to be lazy like everyone else despite having a literally mindblowing resource like the internet available to you? I mean, there is a whole section on takara's wikipedia page titled
Not really on research or internet resources.....it was a question which popped up in my mind when I looked at my mattel stuff....Mattel is really famous for HotWheels and other toys....but why did takara (takara tomy) choose Hasbro?For benefitial use?Or did mattel not approve pairing up with Takara?Maybe Takara paired up with Hasbro since they had transformers?Who knows?
(Sep. 06, 2012  3:35 PM)?Mr.MyStery? Wrote:
(Sep. 06, 2012  2:35 PM)th!nk Wrote: Hah, I can still barely manage a consistent 20 rounds with an attacker. If you aren't confident with it, hold off testing with RF etc for a while until you are.

Curious, did you actually try to sate that curiosity with research or decided just to be lazy like everyone else despite having a literally mindblowing resource like the internet available to you? I mean, there is a whole section on takara's wikipedia page titled
Not really on research or internet resources.....it was a question which popped up in my mind when I looked at my mattel stuff....Mattel is really famous for HotWheels and other toys....but why did takara (takara tomy) choose Hasbro?For benefitial use?Or did mattel not approve pairing up with Takara?Maybe Takara paired up with Hasbro since they had transformers?Who knows?

Wow. Just... Wow. To quote Kai-V, "You are a rock."

The answer to your last question is "You would, if you had actually bothered to read my post."
Not only did you fail to listen to my message, you managed to go further backwards.... Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.
I ended up at ToysRUs without even trying today. 0.0
No Metal Fury but a nice Bakushin Suzanoo.
So I was taking my sister into the city today so she could go dress shopping with our mother (I'm far too overprotective to let my little sister go on public transport or through the city alone), and once I'd left them to go shopping I figured I'd go and see if Myer had any beywheelz, figured I'd buy one to mess around with until it broke something valuable. I figured 'new line, new anime, they must have some in stock"

So I went in, and checked and...

Rows of Galaxy Pegasus, Ray Striker, Thermal Lacerta, and a bunch of legends. The only thing past MM Wave 1 was a bunch of flame byxises. Heck, there was even a Metal Fight bey left lol.

We were one of the first places to get Metal Masters and that's basically all we have still.

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(Sep. 07, 2012  4:54 PM)th!nk Wrote: So I was taking my sister into the city today so she could go dress shopping with our mother (I'm far too overprotective to let my little sister go on public transport or through the city alone), and once I'd left them to go shopping I figured I'd go and see if Myer had any beywheelz, figured I'd buy one to mess around with until it broke something valuable. I figured 'new line, new anime, they must have some in stock"

Rows of Galaxy Pegasus, Ray Striker, Thermal Lacerta, and a bunch of legends. The only thing past MM Wave 1 was a bunch of flame byxises. Heck, there was even a Metal Fight bey left lol.

We were one of the first places to get Metal Masters and that's basically all we have still.

Go to Woolworths to buy Beyblades! I recently bought Twisted Tempo, Ray Striker and Bakushin Susanow Lunar Eclipse Ver. For $7 each.

Best place to buy Beyblades! I also saw Counter Scorpio, Thermal Gemios etc. First time seeing that wave in stores.

They are even ahead of any stores I've been to.. (Toys R Us, Big W, ToyWorld, Target, Myer, K-Mart etc.)
Woolworth's? Is that a store exclusive in Australia? Because I've never heard of a Woolworth's here in America.

I always tend to use Hasbro side-products as practice dummies in a way; tornado battlers in particular, as they are the only side-product I actually took a small interest to. Now my L'Drago is all battered up from battling VariAres: the spikes are all broken up, and a small bit of the metal/plastic/other ring around it is chipping off. They're quite cool "battle scars".
(Sep. 07, 2012  5:04 PM)Cannon Wrote:
(Sep. 07, 2012  4:54 PM)th!nk Wrote: So I was taking my sister into the city today so she could go dress shopping with our mother (I'm far too overprotective to let my little sister go on public transport or through the city alone), and once I'd left them to go shopping I figured I'd go and see if Myer had any beywheelz, figured I'd buy one to mess around with until it broke something valuable. I figured 'new line, new anime, they must have some in stock"

Go to Woolworths to buy Beyblades! I recently bought Twisted Tempo, Ray Striker and Bakushin Susanow Lunar Eclipse Ver. For $7 each.

Best place to buy Beyblades! I also saw Counter Scorpio, Thermal Gemios etc. First time seeing that wave in stores.

They are even ahead of any stores I've been to.. (Toys R Us, Big W, ToyWorld, Target, Myer, K-Mart etc.)

I work for one of the competing chains lol, I couldn't do that. Also I didn't know they carried them, and maybe they don't in WA? Coles is supposed to carry them too, but I've never seen them in a coles store here Uncertain

Woolworths used to exist in England until a few years ago. Now Argos is the only true toy shop in my city Unhappy.
Woohoo! well , in my town, ive got the biggest independent toyshop in sussex! XD

(Sep. 07, 2012  4:54 PM)th!nk Wrote: I work for one of the competing chains lol, I couldn't do that. Also I didn't know they carried them, and maybe they don't in WA? Coles is supposed to carry them too, but I've never seen them in a coles store here Uncertain
I believe I've only seen the MFB keychains there.

XSora:
Woolworths is a supermarket, LOL. It's also called Safeaway (old name).

Actually, Woolworths has always been that outside Victoria as far as I know - it's just in Victoria they bought/owned the safeway name and used that name for most (or all, IDK) stores there until 2008ish. Your victoria-centric tendencies are showing, Cannon Tongue_out
But anyway, Australia's retail sector is extremely limited in terms of companies compared to other developed countries. It's a struggle not to rant about it because a lot of hypocrisy goes on, but seeing as I can actually be fired for ranting about it online if my employer finds out, I think I'll keep it to myself.

There are a fair few chains that carry beyblades in West Aus, it's just that unlike a lot of other places (the US being the example I'm most acquainted with), grocery stores here tend to stick to food and things you'd buy with your regular grocery shop, with smaller sections for non-food stuff that you , though some have expanded into clothes both now and in the past, and non-food stores have all the non-food stuff, and never have food. And even then, most of the time the selection is very limited.
Might differ in other states but yeah. Basically, for me at least, I have to go out of my way to run into beyblades 'in the wild'.
Safeway is not the same as Woolworths.
Back when it existed, Safeway was closer to sainsburys if anything.
(Sep. 08, 2012  1:07 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: Safeway is not the same as Woolworths.
Back when it existed, Safeway was closer to sainsburys if anything.

Talking about Australia here. Woolies used Safeway as their name for most (if not all, not 100% sure) stores in Victoria until 2008 or thereabouts. I've edited my post to make it a bit clearer.
Interesting.
I had no idea the two were related up there.
so after a week of owning my escolpio clear wheel and using it tons on my flash combo, i finally realized a few minutes ago that the darn thing doesn't have rotational symmetry! at first i was shocked and thought i had a manufacturing defect, but after looking at the picture on beywiki of the attack and defense deck set (where i got my CW from), i was pleased (although also slightly disappointed- it's a strange feeling) that my escolpio CW is perfectly normal xP

just out of curiosity, why are the two "stingers" different and what is each supposed to represent?
I've always wondered that myself, one almost looks like it has teeth at the bottom, which is odd. Doesn't have any effect in battle though, both sides have the same effect on taller opponents, and Escolpio is an attacking CW anyway so a possible tiny imbalance makes even less of a difference.

Honestly everyone gets so worked up about CW asymmetry (Horogium, an extremely light CW, being one of the most notable examples), when we have three sided parts being divided in two by the design of the system, some molds of BD145 having a hole next to the small wall for the hell wheel and others having the hole across the other side, and various other things. Sure, it'll all have a miniscule effect and might even add up but in an actual battle, there factors that will greatly overshadow that, launch strength being the most notable example.
of course, there's no way something like a fraction (hundreth, perhaps in escolpio's case?) of a gram could influence the overall performance of something spinning that fast with a mass of around 50g! 'twas just an interesting observation which i found rather amusing that i had not spotted it before. my thoughts are that the one with teeth is actually one of the two pincers of a scorpion, while the other one has that little protrusion at the tip reminiscent of the little curved hook at the end of a scorpion's stinger.

if anything, this attention to detail just makes me love this CW so much more in addition to it's competitive value! it would've been so much easier to just copy and rotate the render, making the thing symmetrical; but whoever designed it actually bothered to make them different =D