Beyblade Burst DB Episode #21 (August 13, 2021)

(Aug. 13, 2021  8:21 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:13 PM)Instarez Wrote: First, I didn't call you shallow. Second, there are stakes. First of all, the more battles Lain wins, the more his flare grows and that's a bad thing since he gets more and more unstable. The more the brothers lose, the farther away they are from their goal. Every Legend they become stronger than is  more step to completing their goal.

If you're mad about this, go argue about Haikyu or something. Rooting for multiple teams in itself is good writing. Normally antagonists just need to be beaten, but given them actual characters which make you feel bad, is called good writing.

But Lane has already beaten everyone by episode 35. What else was there for him to do? Shu feared he would get more unstable but  I feel like he even got more chill in the next few episodes after that (compared to when we first met him).

First of all, he was not chill. The whole time he was contemplating who to beat as well, that's the whole point, He doesn't have anyone to beat. Second, he randomly out bursted at Harry for no apparent reason. Just because he wasn't screaming every 5 seconds doesn't mean he's perfectly fine.

Even if he wasn't chill, that doesn't mean Shu has no reason for concern. He didn't just want Lain to be calm and relaxed, that's a blatant misunderstanding of the show.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:07 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:06 PM)Jinbee Wrote:

You don't have to root for the protagonists. Lots of pieces of media are praised due to having strong moments with other characters. Take Haikyu for example. You want both teams to win at the same time. That doesn't mean you have to reason to cheer for the main team, meaning they have worthless characterization and are shells made for ads only.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to like the main character, but the show should at least try and make the effort for their main characters if they're going for that direction, and you know that they are. The show clearly wants us to root for them, but no effort is put in it. Maybe when Hikaru cried over his elimination and that's it. Take Aiga for example, while many don't think he's that great for a main character, we can at least understand what the show was trying to do, with all that he goes through and all the character flaws he has to overcome, we're given a reason why he wants to go through this journey and grow as a person or blader.

Your example is flawed, because like you said, the side characters there are still loved... but for Sparking, when's the last time you've heard of anyone liking Gun, Chuck and Raika? Or better yet, when have you heard anyone claim that most of the legendary bladers had the best characterization in Sparking? Not to mention, the example you're thinking of wants us to cheer for both sides, but I doubt Sparking intended us to cheer for Lean, it's subjective whether we want to or not, but the anime did not have that in mind. Lean is not a compelling character, and we have no reason to support them. Even if I wanted to support... say... Free during Sparking due to his loss against Lean in the past, the anime clearly didn't care because, while I didn't expect Free to win anyway, his battle was a joke, and it wasn't even directly against Lean.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:24 PM)Jinbee Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:07 PM)Instarez Wrote: You don't have to root for the protagonists. Lots of pieces of media are praised due to having strong moments with other characters. Take Haikyu for example. You want both teams to win at the same time. That doesn't mean you have to reason to cheer for the main team, meaning they have worthless characterization and are shells made for ads only.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to like the main character, but the show should at least try and make the effort for their main characters if they're going for that direction, and you know that they are. The show clearly wants us to root for them, but no effort is put in it. Maybe when Hikaru cried over his elimination and that's it. Take Aiga for example, while many don't think he's that great for a main character, we can at least understand what the show was trying to do, with all that he goes through and all the character flaws he has to overcome, we're given a reason why he wants to go through this journey and grow as a person or blader.

Your example is flawed, because like you said, the side characters there are still loved... but for Sparking, when's the last time you've heard of anyone liking Gun, Chuck and Raika? Or better yet, when have you heard anyone claim that most of the legendary bladers had the best characterization in Sparking? Not to mention, the example you're thinking of wants us to cheer for both sides, but I doubt Sparking intended us to cheer for Lean, it's subjective whether we want to or not, but the anime did not have that in mind. Lean is not a compelling character, and we have no reason to support them. Even if I wanted to support... say... Free during Sparking due to his loss against Lean in the past, the anime clearly didn't care because, while I didn't expect Free to win anyway, his battle was a joke, and it wasn't even directly against Lean.

First of all, the show doesn't need to work to hard. People have a natural wanting to root for the underdogs, especially when they've seen them start from the ground up. Second, your example is flawed. Gun Chuck and Raika are not even side characters, they're minor characters, so I don't know what you're talking about. Even if the were there are tons of more returning faces people enjoy and want to see succeed. That's just cherry picking at it's finest.

If Valt comes back and wants to win, that's enough reason for him to come, and that's enough reason to root for him. He doesn't have to be on a mission to save his best friend lost to the darkness, and he doesn't need an episode dedicated to how sad he is about the friend to get us to like him. You just like them. That's the whole reason people here get so mad when their returning favorites lose. You just simply like a character. If you can't grasp that concept I can't help you.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:13 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:10 PM)Limetka Wrote: Call me shallow but I need some stakes (even if it's in the form of rankings or titles) to make it interesting and having friendly battles over and over gets boring fast. Hiro Morita based Beyblade on boxing, which has multiple leagues and rankings that make it interesting (at least to me lol).

First, I didn't call you shallow. Second, there are stakes. First of all, the more battles Lain wins, the more his flare grows and that's a bad thing since he gets more and more unstable. The more the brothers lose, the farther away they are from their goal. Every Legend they become stronger than is  more step to completing their goal.

(Aug. 13, 2021  8:12 PM)LOL-y Rancher Wrote: Yeah, their starting points of them being inspired by the battle they saw in the first episode is fine. But that's the starting point, give us more as the series goes along (something even Aiga was able to give).

Okay, but if we're not supposed to root for Hyuga and Hikaru above everyone else, why bother having them as main characters? Let alone new main characters. Why bother following and focusing their journey to become stronger?

If what you're saying about how we aren't supposed to root for specific characters over everyone else is true, then Sparking should've just not bothered with new main characters. You might as well just have all of the characters be the main character and take turns on focus episodes.

If you're mad about this, go argue about Haikyu or something. Rooting for multiple teams in itself is good writing. Normally antagonists just need to be beaten, but given them actual characters which make you feel bad, is called good writing.

Alright dude, no one here is mad. I'm simply explaining my issues with Sparking. You are free to disagree, as am I.

I've never once said that rooting for multiple teams is a bad thing, in fact I enjoy it when a series gives us reasons to root for more than one team. However, Sparking wasn't really built around that idea and with the series focusing mostly on the Asahi brothers' journey above everyone elses' that season shows it wasn't just a free for all.

However, let's just say that Sparking is a series where you're meant to root for everyone (or multiples of teams) equally, then have everyone as a main character. Not just Hyuga and Hikaru.

Now I know what you're thinking, you're probably thinking "Well, you must not like the idea of having rival or villain character/team to have a sympathetic or equal reasons to win". No, not true, because I really enjoyed teams like BEGA from G-Revolution and the members had moments where you also wanted to root for them to win, but you still rooted for the G-Revolutions team too because they still give us a perfect reason for us to want them to win more.

You can root for multiple teams, but if Hyuga and Hikaru are supposed to be the main characters and not just the same level of role as everyone else, give them a slight more nudge to why we should want them to win more.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:42 PM)LOL-y Rancher Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:13 PM)Instarez Wrote: First, I didn't call you shallow. Second, there are stakes. First of all, the more battles Lain wins, the more his flare grows and that's a bad thing since he gets more and more unstable. The more the brothers lose, the farther away they are from their goal. Every Legend they become stronger than is  more step to completing their goal.

Alright dude, no one here is mad. I'm simply explaining my issues with Sparking. You are free to disagree, as am I.

I've never once said that rooting for multiple teams is a bad thing, in fact I enjoy it when a series gives us reasons to root for more than one team. However, Sparking wasn't really built around that idea and with the series focusing mostly on the Asahi brothers' journey above everyone elses' that season shows it wasn't just a free for all.

However, let's just say that Sparking is a series where you're meant to root for everyone (or multiples of teams) equally, then have everyone as a main character. Not just Hyuga and Hikaru.

Now I know what you're thinking, you're probably thinking "Well, you must not like the idea of having rival or villain character/team to have a sympathetic or equal reasons to win". No, not true, because I really enjoyed teams like BEGA from G-Revolution and the members had moments where you also wanted to root for them to win, but you still rooted for the G-Revolutions team too because they still give us a perfect reason for us to want them to win more.

You can root for multiple teams, but if Hyuga and Hikaru are supposed to be the main characters and not just the same level of role as everyone else, give them a slight more nudge to why we should want them to win more.

Everyone has a small reason to win. It's not like all of the side characters have grand reasons to win, and the protagonists don't.

Hyuga/Hikaru: They simply want to be the best after being inspired.

Valt: Wants to battle to see Hikaru and Hyuga go far, and possibly achieve a flare.

Rantaro: Want's to prove himself to his students by being on the level of the others.

Ranjiro: Wants to get revenge against Lain for the injury.

Silas: Wants to prove himself to Free that he's on the same level.

Free: Wants to get revenge on Lain.

Lui: He's always just enjoys battling since he gets to reign over as a powerful force.

Lain: This was left out of the anime, so that's a valid complaint. But he wanted to live up to Shu's expectations, but got so consumed with Flare to where he didn't care about Shu anymore.

Drum: Continuing in his goal to make Dragon the strongest Beyblade.

Shu: Wants to free Lain from his harmful Flare.

Aiga: Simply enjoys battling. Possibly also wants to be the World Champ again.

Wakiya: Doesn't need a reason to compete since he's not even competing.

This is how it always was from the start. This allows anyone to root for who they want, since no one feels more important than the other. That would jsut be tunnel visioning on certain characters, making the other ones left out from doing anything consequential.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:49 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:42 PM)LOL-y Rancher Wrote: Alright dude, no one here is mad. I'm simply explaining my issues with Sparking. You are free to disagree, as am I.

Everyone has a small reason to win. It's not like all of the side characters have grand reasons to win, and the protagonists don't.

Valt: Wants to battle to see Hikaru and Hyuga go far, and possibly achieve a flare.

Rantaro: Want's to prove himself to his students by being on the level of the others.

Lui: He's always just enjoys battling since he gets to reign over as a powerful force.

Lain: This was left out of the anime, so that's a valid complaint. But he wanted to live up to Shu's expectations, but got so consumed with Flare to where he didn't care about Shu anymore.

This is how it always was from the start. This allows anyone to root for who they want, since no one feels more important than the other. That would jsut be tunnel visioning on certain characters, making the other ones left out from doing anything consequential.

I think I've already told you in some other thread but give me one single panel that supports your theory that Lane wants to prove himself to Shu. I've read the manga and it's total nonsense. 

That said, I really like how you characterised Rantaro's goal though, since I haven't thought about him that way but looking back it's clear you're correct. Interesting.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:59 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:49 PM)Instarez Wrote: Everyone has a small reason to win. It's not like all of the side characters have grand reasons to win, and the protagonists don't.

I think I've already told you in some other thread but give me one single panel that supports your theory that Lane wants to prove himself to Shu. I've read the manga and it's total nonsense. 

That said, I really like how you characterised Rantaro's goal though, since I haven't thought about him that way but looking back it's clear you're correct. Interesting.

I explained it to you but you never responded. Not my fault. They showed flashbacks focusing on their training where Shu tells Lain that he's still not good enough, and how many times he needs to tell him that. The epilogue special also focuses on their relationship moving forward.

They have a talk before Shu vs. Lain where Shu blatantly says "I knew it was my fault." referring to Lain.
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:28 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:24 PM)Jinbee Wrote:

First of all, the show doesn't need to work to hard. People have a natural wanting to root for the underdogs, especially when they've seen them start from the ground up. Second, your example is flawed. Gun Chuck and Raika are not even side characters, they're minor characters, so I don't know what you're talking about. Even if the were there are tons of more returning faces people enjoy and want to see succeed. That's just cherry picking at it's finest.

If Valt comes back and wants to win, that's enough reason for him to come, and that's enough reason to root for him. He doesn't have to be on a mission to save his best friend lost to the darkness, and he doesn't need an episode dedicated to how sad he is about the friend to get us to like him. You just like them. That's the whole reason people here get so mad when their returning favorites lose. You just simply like a character. If you can't grasp that concept I can't help you.

You know who else is also an underdog though? Valt Aoi, or Tyson/Takao from the first season. Keep in mind that Valt is from the same era, Burst. While Valt definitely benefited from being around for two seasons, and that's why I don't encourage switching characters for every season. Both Valt and Tyson had more characterization to them, not to mention that Valt started off with the motivation to beat the super strong bladers (Shu, Lui, Xhaka, Zac, Wakiya etc.), but later on, he had a more personal reason to do it, we saw that he had to work his way up to face them, and while the twins had it too, theirs was far more brief, and that's not due to the slashed duration. 

I know that there's people want to root for a character without much reasoning, and that it's simply that their favourites returning are back. I don't mind if that's what people want to do. However, for me, because Sparking is still technically a story, don't stories need good characters? Liking someone simply for returning, to me personally, does not cut it when there's meant to be a story told. They still need to be written well, even if they're not going to do as much. Take Power Rangers Super Megaforce, we got a lot of returning legends back, including Tommy Oliver himself and they're legendary rangers that are well liked by many Power Rangers fans, but the season itself is heavily criticized, because it takes more than surface level fan service to make a season good, it's just soulless fan service. The main cast in Megaforce were also not that engaging, and the main characters (the ones who take up most of the screen time) can make a lot of the difference.

No one is saying that they need some super epic lore or supernatural fights to be good, but we need some kind of characterization or anything to make them engaging. What's the point of characters with little... well... character? Like I said, Valt accomplished being given more than wanting to win, and I'd even argue Aiga and Drum did.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:03 PM)Jinbee Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:28 PM)Instarez Wrote: First of all, the show doesn't need to work to hard. People have a natural wanting to root for the underdogs, especially when they've seen them start from the ground up. Second, your example is flawed. Gun Chuck and Raika are not even side characters, they're minor characters, so I don't know what you're talking about. Even if the were there are tons of more returning faces people enjoy and want to see succeed. That's just cherry picking at it's finest.

You know who else is also an underdog though? Valt Aoi, or Tyson/Takao from the first season. Keep in mind that Valt is from the same era, Burst. While Valt definitely benefited from being around for two seasons, and that's why I don't encourage switching characters for every season. Both Valt and Tyson had more characterization to them, not to mention that Valt started off with the motivation to beat the super strong bladers (Shu, Lui, Xhaka, Zac, Wakiya etc.), but later on, he had a more personal reason to do it, we saw that he had to work his way up to face them, and while the twins had it too, theirs was far more brief, and that's not due to the slashed duration. 

I know that there's people want to root for a character without much reasoning, and that it's simply that their favourites returning are back. I don't mind if that's what people want to do. However, for me, because Sparking is still technically a story, don't stories need good characters? Liking someone simply for returning, to me personally, does not cut it when there's meant to be a story told. They still need to be written well, even if they're not going to do as much. Take Power Rangers Super Megaforce, we got a lot of returning legends back, including Tommy Oliver himself and they're legendary rangers that are well liked by many Power Rangers fans, but the season itself is heavily criticized, because it takes more than surface level fan service to make a season good, it's just soulless fan service. The main cast in Megaforce were also not that engaging, and the main characters (the ones who take up most of the screen time) can make a lot of the difference.

No one is saying that they need some super epic lore or supernatural fights to be good, but we need some kind of characterization or anything to make them engaging. What's the point of characters with little... well... character? Like I said, Valt accomplished being given more than wanting to win, and I'd even argue Aiga and Drum did.

Hikaru and Hyuga have plenty of character. Hikaru wants to be strong not only for himself, but for Rantaro, so he can show him the fruits of his training. Hyuga felt like he was lagging behind his brother, and wanted to catch up.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:01 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  8:59 PM)Limetka Wrote: I think I've already told you in some other thread but give me one single panel that supports your theory that Lane wants to prove himself to Shu. I've read the manga and it's total nonsense. 

I explained it to you but you never responded. Not my fault. They showed flashbacks focusing on their training where Shu tells Lain that he's still not good enough, and how many times he needs to tell him that. The epilogue special also focuses on their relationship moving forward.

They have a talk before Shu vs. Lain where Shu blatantly says "I knew it was my fault." referring to Lain.

Just because Shu tells Lane he's not good enough doesn't mean Lane will internalize it and think that. Just post the manga page mate.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:13 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:01 PM)Instarez Wrote: I explained it to you but you never responded. Not my fault. They showed flashbacks focusing on their training where Shu tells Lain that he's still not good enough, and how many times he needs to tell him that. The epilogue special also focuses on their relationship moving forward.

Just because Shu tells Lane he's not good enough doesn't mean Lane will internalize it and think that. Just post the manga page mate.

I can't because of copyright rules, you should know the rules, being a WBO user. Second of all, he clearly did that if you just look at the page. Even the stuff I said made it clear. Shu said it was his fault. What did he do in the flashback? Keep telling Lain he wasn't good enough. So he very clearly internalized it. Common sense.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:15 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:13 PM)Limetka Wrote: Just because Shu tells Lane he's not good enough doesn't mean Lane will internalize it and think that. Just post the manga page mate.

I can't because of copyright rules, you should know the rules, being a WBO user. Second of all, he clearly did that if you just look at the page. Even the stuff I said made it clear. Shu said it was his fault. What did he do in the flashback? Keep telling Lain he wasn't good enough. So he very clearly internalized it. Common sense.

You can post manga pages here. And the fact that he internalized it is.... your headcanon.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:20 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:15 PM)Instarez Wrote: I can't because of copyright rules, you should know the rules, being a WBO user. Second of all, he clearly did that if you just look at the page. Even the stuff I said made it clear. Shu said it was his fault. What did he do in the flashback? Keep telling Lain he wasn't good enough. So he very clearly internalized it. Common sense.

You can post manga pages here. And the fact that he internalized it is.... your headcanon.

Tell that to a staff member. You just don't understand the manga pages. If you really have read the manga, go back to the chapter where Lucifer The End debuts.

The copyright rule has been in effect for a while now, man. That's why they don't want you posting pictures of leaks.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:22 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:20 PM)Limetka Wrote: You can post manga pages here. And the fact that he internalized it is.... your headcanon.

Tell that to a staff member. You just don't understand the manga pages. If you really have read the manga, go back to the chapter where Lucifer The End debuts.

The copyright rule has been in effect for a while now, man. That's why they don't want you posting pictures of leaks.

Goddamnit mate no. At least have some normal arguments. No, Lane does not give a single damn about Shu until he loses at the end and there's nothing in the manga that suggests otherwise. It's just your headcannon. If you think otherwise post proof. If you don't want to post the page quote it. I'm starting to think you haven't actually read it.
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:30 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:22 PM)Instarez Wrote: Tell that to a staff member. You just don't understand the manga pages. If you really have read the manga, go back to the chapter where Lucifer The End debuts.

Goddamnit mate no. At least have some normal arguments. No, Lane does not give a single damn about Shu until he loses at the end and there's nothing in the manga that suggests otherwise. It's just your headcannon. You post proof. If you don't want to post the page quote it. I'm starting to think you haven't actually read it.

He's trying not to be banned because the rule is no posting stuff from the manga, why don't you PM the staff to actually find out?
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:31 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:30 PM)Limetka Wrote: Goddamnit mate no. At least have some normal arguments. No, Lane does not give a single damn about Shu until he loses at the end and there's nothing in the manga that suggests otherwise. It's just your headcannon. You post proof. If you don't want to post the page quote it. I'm starting to think you haven't actually read it.

He's trying not to be banned because the rule is no posting stuff from the manga, why don't you PM the staff to actually find out?

Just quote where the characters are saying what he's saying then?
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:57 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  9:31 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote: He's trying not to be banned because the rule is no posting stuff from the manga, why don't you PM the staff to actually find out?

Just quote where the characters are saying what he's saying then?

I'm not getting involved, all I'm saying is it's true that you cannot post Manga Pages
Training, no context
[Image: qOj2PpQ.jpg]

Training with context, Shu admits he messed up
[Image: yrkyVpE.jpg]

Limetka sorry if took so long, I misplaced the Corocoro Comic December 2020 Issue.
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:08 PM)Instarez Wrote: Training, no context

It's just Shu shouting at Lane that he's doing it wrong, I still don't see how you came to the conclusion that Lane wants to live up to Shu's expectations.
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:13 PM)Limetka Wrote:

It's just Shu shouting at Lane that he's doing it wrong, I still don't see how you came to the conclusion that Lane wants to live up to Shu's expectations.

You can clearly see in the bottom right panel there is a peculiar angle, Shu looks sad and or guilty, somethings wrong. A quick google translate gets this: "I knew it was me..." This indicates everything you need to know. Harsh training regimen pushed Lain to the breaking point.

DeepL: I should have known that, too... 2 translators point towards Shu admitting guilt. DeepL has actually been proven by Japanese people to be pretty accurate. If we look at the above panels, Shu is harshly shouting at Lain. He should’ve known what? Well, he should’ve known he was being harsh to Lain before it pushed him to far.
Yes he's saying I should have known. He should have known that true "teaching" is something you grasp on your own and aren't taught by someone else. What does that have to do with anything?

In fact he's not even saying that he was too hard on him. Another misconception on your part.

Limetka sorry if took so long, I misplaced the Corocoro Comic December 2020 Issue.

These are the translations (I'm going by text box order)
1st Image
"Even if you struggle at first with a tough training,
Lane quickly overcame and grew rapidly."

"Since becoming Lane's coach,
I taught Lane everything."

"It's as if the flames get fuel and burn even bigger."

2nd Image

"Grab it yourself."

"True Learning
Because it's not something that can be taught by someone,"

"Lane, no!
How many times do you say that?
I know!"

"No, no, no, no, no, no
lane!"

"Was that a little difficult?"

"No...
Somehow I understand."

"That's what I knew."

Also, this conversation should probably be in Random Beyblade Anime and Manga Thoughts
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:23 PM)Limetka Wrote: Yes he's saying I should have known. He should have known that true "teaching" is something you grasp on your own and aren't taught by someone else. What does that have to do with anything?

In fact he's not even saying that he was too hard on him.  Another misconception on your part.

Why did they show Lain and make him say that if it didn't mean anything. The whole reason he said that is to make the brother avoid getting a teacher, in the slight chance they end up like Lain.
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:38 PM)Instarez Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:23 PM)Limetka Wrote: Yes he's saying I should have known. He should have known that true "teaching" is something you grasp on your own and aren't taught by someone else. What does that have to do with anything?

In fact he's not even saying that he was too hard on him.  Another misconception on your part.

Why did they show Lain and make him say that if it didn't mean anything. The whole reason he said that is to make the brother avoid getting a teacher, in the slight chance they end up like Lain.

Lane didn't end up the way he was because he had got a teacher, he had problems with flare even before he met Shu.
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:45 PM)Limetka Wrote:
(Aug. 13, 2021  10:38 PM)Instarez Wrote: Why did they show Lain and make him say that if it didn't mean anything. The whole reason he said that is to make the brother avoid getting a teacher, in the slight chance they end up like Lain.

Lane didn't end up the way he was because he had got a teacher, he had problems with flare even before he met Shu.

"Another misconception" lol. If you read the post I said in the slight chance. Also him having Flare before training is Anime Only content.