Beyblade Burst: B-01, 02, 03, 04 Uncustomized Preliminary Testing & Impressions

Beyblade Burst: B-01, 02, 03, 04 Uncustomized Preliminary Testing

Hello everyone! Slowly, but surely several of us in the community have been getting our hands on our orders of the first four Beyblade Burst (ベイブレードバースト) releases: B-01 Valkyrie Wing Accel, B-02 Spriggan Spread Fusion, B-03 Ragnaruk Heavy Survive, and B-04 Kerbeus Central Defense. But ahead of the July 18th launch date, I'm sure many of you have been left wondering about what the actual performance of each part is like! Below you will find tests conducted between @[JesseObre] and I of each of the above four mentioned Beyblades uncustomized, followed by some statistics, and my impressions and observations.

Please note: this was our first time playing with them, so take these results with just a little grain of salt! We sometimes adjusted launch techniques throughout the 20 rounds. And keep in mind that because two different Bladers were taking turns using each combo in each matchup and also launching simultaneously, there may be some discrepancy in the win percentages shown versus a set of test results conducted by one Blader.

Test Information

EQUIPMENT/TESTERS

LEGEND

Test Results

Valkyrie Wing Accel vs. Spriggan Spread Fusion
Valkyrie Wing Accel: 13 Wins (5 BF, 6 OF, 2 SF)
Spriggan Spread Fusion: 7 Wins (3 BF, 1 OF, 3 SF)
Valkyrie Win Percentage: 65%
9 Draws (7 DBF, 2 BF/OF)

Full Round-by-Round Breakdown (Click to View)

Valkyrie Wing Accel vs. Ragnaruk Heavy Survive
Valkyrie Wing Accel: 10 Wins (9 BF, 1 OF)
Ragnaruk Heavy Survive: 10 Wins (3 BF, 1 OF, 6 SF)
Valkyrie Win Percentage: 50%
2 Draws (2 DBF)

Valkyrie Wing Accel vs. Kerbeus Central Defense
Valkyrie Wing Accel: 9 Wins (5 BF, 4 OF)
Kerbeus Central Defense: 11 Wins (5 BF, 2 OF, 4 SF)
Valkyrie Win Percentage: 45%
2 Draws (1 DOF, 1 DBF)

Spriggan Spread Fusion vs. Ragnaruk Heavy Survive
Spriggan Spread Fusion: 6 Wins (6 BF)
Ragnaruk Heavy Survive: 14 Wins (7 BF, 7 SF)
Spriggan Win Percentage: 30%
2 Draws (1 DOF, 1 DBF)

Spriggan Spread Fusion vs. Kerbeus Central Defense
Spriggan Spread Fusion: 4 Wins (4 BF)
Kerbeus Central Defense: 14 Wins (6 BF, 9 SF)
Spriggan Win Percentage: 20%
3 Draws (2 DBF, 1 DSF)

Ragnaruk Heavy Survive vs. Kerbeus Central Defense
Ragnaruk Heavy Survive: 6 Wins (3 BF, 3 SF)
Kerbeus Central Defense: 14 Wins (5 BF, 9 SF)
Ragnaruk Win Percentage: 30%
3 Draws (2 DBF, 1 DSF)

Battle Statistics

Overall Win Percentages
Draws not included.
  • Kerbeus Central Defense: 65%
  • Valkyrie Wing Accel: 53%
  • Ragnaruk Heavy Survive: 50%
  • Spriggan Spread Fusion: 28%

Finish Type Frequencies
141 Total Rounds (including draws)
  • Burst Finish: 61 Rounds, 43%
  • Over Finish: 15 Rounds, 11%
  • Spin Finish: 43 Rounds, 30%
  • Double Burst Finish: 15 Rounds, 11%
  • Double Over Finish: 2 Rounds, 1%
  • Double Spin Finish: 2 Rounds, 1%
  • Simultaneous Burst/Over Finish: 1%

Observations & Impressions

• Everyone thought Valkyrie was "OP" ... but look at that 65% win percentage on Kerbeus! Our tests are my no means conclusive, but I got the impression that it was a little bit harder to burst because it does not have large, blunt projections like both Spriggan and Ragnaruk do. It's probably the best for both Defense and Stamina right now because of that.
  • Spriggan Spread Fusion sucks. Well, at least uncustomized. The Spriggan Layer has a lot of recoil because of it's shape and not very good resistance to Bursting. If it had the same teeth shape and count as Valkyrie it might have been better.
  • We very quickly learned (during Valkyrie vs. Spriggan) that it is bad for the Beyblades to hit each other in mid-air right as they come off the launchers. More often than not, this tended to end in a Double Burst Finish tie. It might have been more pronounced in Valkyrie vs. Spriggan, but I think in general the higher spin velocity and momentum of the launch is too much for the Beyblades to withstand.
  • The Burst Finish statistic is interesting. If you combined that with the Double Burst Finish and Simultaneous Burst/Over Finish statistics, you've got a burst occurring 55% of the time in battles so far. I think this is reasonable for the initial wave of releases; it happens frequently, but not enough that it feels like literally every single time. And that statistic might have been below 50% if Jesse and I had realized even earlier than the type of early, mid-air contact I mentioned above was not a good thing for either player. To me, it makes sense that TAKARA-TOMY would want the highest burst frequency to occur at the beginning of the series because they are trying to showcase what makes the series unique. In my opinion, it will only get harder to burst as each new system is released. Consider that the current Beyblade Burst System is literally called "Burst System" as well.
  • Jesse and I both ran into an issue intermittently where the Light Launcher got slightly jammed and it was very difficult to put the winder all the way through. This usually fixed itself, though.

Conclusion

At the end of our marathon of testing, Jesse and I both concluded that it was a lot of fun and that the series has some serious potential. For me, the Burst Frequency is very slightly too high right now (I'd like to see it at 40%), but at the same time, it really does add both a brand new feeling and element of strategy into the game. The tension you feel behind each hit your Beyblade makes on it's opponent or each hit you receive is palpable and it means that the battles are never truly unexciting.

Brad's idea about Beyblades now having HP separate from their RPM is quite apt, and it is in my opinion the best way to think about this series moving forward. People were complaining that a Stamina combo that was going to win by outspin losing via a Burst Finish at the last second is unfair, and at first I kind of agreed. But after conducting these tests I've begun to think about it in another way. Ask yourself, if in that situation your Stamina combo bursts and you lose, it's because all of your "HP" had been depleted. How does that happen? It happens by taking strong, hard, attacks from your opponent earlier in the battle. You can still lose some "HP" while grinding with your opponent, but I believe the most damage is done from strong attacks landed when the opposing Beyblade is mobile and has high RPM at the beginning of the BeyBattle.

This means that maybe it is advantageous for Attack users to shoot for successive strong attacks rather than one strong attack (hoping for an OF) followed by a Tornado Stall. For Stamina users, it means you need to try to find a way to avoid your opponent at the beginning of the battle. If you launch directly into the centre of the BeyStadium, you'll be easy prey for the opposing Attack type. There's only so much you can do if using something like the Survive Driver, but you still have options.

Considering all of this, Fusion might be one of the most interesting Driver choices right now because it allows you to avoid your opponent (although it may expose you to being more easily Over Finished) and then settle in to Stamina mode later on, or to play aggressively.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to post them here! We will be doing tests with customized Beyblades later this week.

Other Users Tests

1234beyblade (Click to View)
I knew Defense was going to be the somewhat dominant type, as i saw from videos it usually OSed the two other beyblades and it did very well against Valkyrie. Once i get my bursts this Friday or maybe on Monday i will be certain to do some tests as well!
How often did it happen anyway that the Beyblade burst at a slight hit near the end of the battle when it would have probably otherwise won by outspin, in all of your tests ?
This has come to my concern about any rulings for the burst series. After a game if by chance a Beyblade spins out, stadium's out or "Bursts", are both players allowed to re tighten the beyblade for another round even if the winner's beyblade wins? And will the losing blader have to or can do the same as the winner?
For certain each Beyblade should be retightened at the beginning of each round, even just in case.
(Jul. 09, 2015  5:11 AM)Kai-V Wrote: How often did it happen anyway that the Beyblade burst at a slight hit near the end of the battle when it would have probably otherwise won by outspin, in all of your tests ?

I can't recall with any certainty, unfortunately. We did so many rounds ...

(Jul. 09, 2015  5:38 AM)Kai-V Wrote: For certain each Beyblade should be retightened at the beginning of each round, even just in case.

Yeah, for sure. It's worth mentioning that we made sure to tighten our Beyblades after every battle for these tests. We often compared how many hits we had taken/how much HP we had left. It would be interesting to do tests to see on average how close a Beyblade is to bursting when it doesn't in the end.
Wow, this is awesome; thanks, Kei! Your observations have me feeling a little more optimistic about the series' possibilities, though I have to agree that I'd like to see the Burst Finish percentage a bit lower.
I've been very tempted to buy a set of four lately, but I think I'll wait until the price goes down a little because I know I'll be kicking myself later on if I give in.
Very informative thread and a great read. Although maybe next time it would be interesting to actually record how close it was to exploding, that would be pretty good information. I'm just glad to already see tests coming in for Burst. It's nice to see what the games gonna be like. The high chance of burst disturbs me a bit as I thought it'd be lower but whatever. But thanks to Kei and Jesseobre for doing these testhe, it's really nice to be able to already see how this game might be from a competitive standpoint.
Can't wait to get Kerberus and spam it Smile
Very good info- great work Kei and Jesse for helping, haha.

Definitely makes me feel better about if Valkyrie is "OP".

Also, if or when I can get some, I assume l need the Burst stadium for testing?
Definitely some good results out of Kerbeus. Especially for a stock defender, a 55% win rate against Valkyrie (which many of us thought were going to, like you said Kei, be OP) is very impressive.

Thanks for the tests guys! Looking forward to more!

EDIT: And Kei- do you find testing with someone else get's more accurate results than testing by yourself?
Great results Kei, thanks for posting!

So, are we gonna indiscriminately use Spin Finish and Over Finish now? Because these names are awful, especially Over Finish. lol
Thanks for the testing, Kei & JesseObre!

(Jul. 09, 2015  5:04 AM)Kei Wrote: Spriggan Spread Fusion sucks. Well, at least uncustomized. The Spriggan Layer has a lot of recoil because of it's shape and not very good resistance to Bursting. If it had the same teeth shape and count as Valkyrie it might have been better.

I kinda figured at least the Spriggan Layer would suck, it has a pretty recoily-looking design. Those teeth you were talking about that designate "HP", are they on both the Layer and the Driver or just the Layer? If it's just the Layer there's nothing we can do but if we put it on a (hypothetical, obviously it doesn't exist yet) sharp-tooth Driver with a high friction tip it could maybe pull of some big hits.

(Jul. 09, 2015  5:04 AM)Kei Wrote: The Burst Finish statistic is interesting. If you combined that with the Double Burst Finish and Simultaneous Burst/Over Finish statistics, you've got a burst occurring 55% of the time in battles so far. I think this is reasonable for the initial wave of releases; it happens frequently, but not enough that it feels like literally every single time. And that statistic might have been below 50% if Jesse and I had realized even earlier than the type of early, mid-air contact I mentioned above was not a good thing for either player. To me, it makes sense that TAKARA-TOMY would want the highest burst frequency to occur at the beginning of the series because they are trying to showcase what makes the series unique. In my opinion, it will only get harder to burst as each new system is released. Consider that the current Beyblade Burst System is literally called "Burst System" as well.

At the end of our marathon of testing, Jesse and I both concluded that it was a lot of fun and that the series has some serious potential. For me, the Burst Frequency is very slightly too high right now (I'd like to see it at 40%), but at the same time, it really does add both a brand new feeling and element of strategy into the game. The tension you feel behind each hit your Beyblade makes on it's opponent or each hit you receive is palpable and it means that the battles are never truly unexciting.

I think that while it may seem that they Beyblades Burst a little too often, it may be for multiple reasons: 1) Like you said, to promote the primary gimmick of the series as of now, 2) to make room for the impending power creep during which the Burst rate will probably decrease, and 3) Takara Tomy would probably expect users to naturally choose the Beyblade with the lowest chance to Burst (which as of now is Kerbeus), but still make the lowest Burst rate relatively high so any potential Kerbeus SPAM (thx LMAO) is less boring than it would be, which kinda ties back into the first point.

(Jul. 09, 2015  5:04 AM)Kei Wrote: This means that maybe it is advantageous for Attack users to shoot for successive strong attacks rather than one strong attack (hoping for an OF) followed by a Tornado Stall. For Stamina users, it means you need to try to find a way to avoid your opponent at the beginning of the battle. If you launch directly into the centre of the BeyStadium, you'll be easy prey for the opposing Attack type. There's only so much you can do if using something like the Survive Driver, but you still have options.

Considering all of this, Fusion might be one of the most interesting Driver choices right now because it allows you to avoid your opponent (although it may expose you to being more easily Over Finished) and then settle in to Stamina mode later on, or to play aggressively.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to post them here! We will be doing tests with customized Beyblades later this week.

Well isn't it hard to keep "successive, strong attacks" using just a standard Flat Driver (assuming MFB Tip logic applies to Drivers) with the Sliding Shoot? From what I recall F wasn't able to keep the flower pattern well. How wide is Accel compared to F/WF/XF anyways?

How aggressive is the Defense Driver? B-series tips from MFB could be aggressive if launched hard enough, so that could allow you to avoid the opponent and then settle for Stamina later on (which, if true, could have played a part in how Kerbeus beat Valk so easily). Another question about Defense: did those tabs on the side scrape at all or was it just bad perspective on the official images? If they scraped how badly did it affect performance?

If by any chance you have 2 Kerbeus (not sure if you would have though to prepare for mirror match testing, if not we have to wait until 1234 gets his Burst) could you try Kerbeus ___ Defense vs. Kerbeus ___ Fusion/Kerbeus ___ Survive? Based on what you said about Fusion it and Defense may have similar movement patterns (semi-aggressive and then stationary). I'd also want to see if Defense can SF Survive when it's on another Kerbeus. Also, could you do benchmark tests (probably vs. Stock Valk) on seeing which Disk would work best for Kerbeus ___ Defense/Fusion?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I'm pretty sure I speak for most people here when I say I'm interested in how this new system works, haha.
Fantastic tests Kei & JessieObre, thanks so much for supplying them.

Wombat seems to have covered most of what I was thinking, especially in the Burst Finish stats. A small suggestion would be to identify a burst finish that occurred at low velocities (i.e. a battle that beyblade A should have won via outspin, but it burst before beyblade B stopped). It would help clarify how worrisome burst is in terms of how random it causes the results to be.

Once again, thank you very much for the tests!
I still disagree on seeing late Bursts as random : sure, any spinning top can precess, but if it can be disassembled first, that is fair and square. You just could not have seen it coming much with your eyes alone, but it does not mean that it comes out of nowhere.
Such an organized and concise report. Thank you Kei.

(Jul. 09, 2015  5:38 AM)Kai-V Wrote: For certain each Beyblade should be retightened at the beginning of each round, even just in case.

From my experience, the beyblade must be fully tightened in order to fit on the launcher.
(Jul. 09, 2015  4:11 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I still disagree on seeing late Bursts as random : sure, any spinning top can precess, but if it can be disassembled first, that is fair and square. You just could not have seen it coming much with your eyes alone, but it does not mean that it comes out of nowhere.

Understandable. I just find it more a personal qualm regarding a very late game burst. Gives you the feeling of "you almost had it, but nope." For all fairness purposes, I agree that a late game burst is perfectly fair and square, but I still find it rather upsetting to experience the small thrill of thinking you're winning that specific round, only to have your bey explode and you lose. I agree it's not random, and my initial post should be reworded (though I'll leave it unedited for the sake of context). It's just a small quirk that I think would be interesting to investigate.
Yo so hype for Burst! Wish I could have tested with you guys! Particularly interested in seeing how players will develop specific launching techniques depending on their combo type.

At Anime North, I've often found stamina battles to be so long and boring that I would often leave the stadium for a couple of minutes. My instinct is to say that late game bursts are fair at the very least, and keep a battle engaging during its entire time at the very best. It sucks for the losing player, but it ultimately makes the game more fun.
Man im happy to see these test results, i honestly thought bursting would happen like 70% of the time. i cant wait to see more, especially with the parts switched around to check out the different combos

Great, this helps a lot for gameplay preperations Smile

Great results by the way Kei
Can I just say that I really didn't intend the HP allegory to be used as an actual discussion term? Surely we can find something more appropriate, like Burst Resistance.

(Jul. 09, 2015  4:29 PM)The Boss Wrote: At Anime North, I've often found stamina battles to be so long and boring that I would often leave the stadium for a couple of minutes. My instinct is to say that late game bursts are fair at the very least, and keep a battle engaging during its entire time at the very best. It sucks for the losing player, but it ultimately makes the game more fun.

Agreed. If Burst can put an end to terminally-boring Stamina battles while maintaining good game balance, it's a win.

I should've known I'd regret my initially-uber-negative thoughts on Burst later ...
(Jul. 09, 2015  6:43 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: Wow, this is awesome; thanks, Kei! Your observations have me feeling a little more optimistic about the series' possibilities, though I have to agree that I'd like to see the Burst Finish percentage a bit lower.
I've been very tempted to buy a set of four lately, but I think I'll wait until the price goes down a little because I know I'll be kicking myself later on if I give in.

No problem! You should thank JesseObre too. Even though I'd like to see the Burst Finish percentage lower, I was happy to find that it didn't happen as often as some people thought it would.

Just buy the set when they're released! Be happy knowing that you probably didn't spend as much as I did to get them from the World Hobby Fair haha.

(Jul. 09, 2015  7:06 AM)Thunder Dome Wrote: Very informative thread and a great read. Although maybe next time it would be interesting to actually record how close it was to exploding, that would be pretty good information.

Yeah, maybe we'll try to do it next time ... We had so many rounds to get through the other night and I didn't think of it until part way through, so we didn't end up recording that information.

(Jul. 09, 2015  8:56 AM)LMAO Wrote: Can't wait to get Kerberus and spam it Smile

you've just guaranteed yourself a spriggan at beyblade bursts onto the scene: toronto

(Jul. 09, 2015  12:52 PM)Leone19 Wrote: Also, if or when I can get some, I assume l need the Burst stadium for testing?

Yes, you will need it.

(Jul. 09, 2015  1:38 PM)Mitsu Wrote: EDIT: And Kei- do you find testing with someone else get's more accurate results than testing by yourself?

It's really hard to say whether they are more or less reflective of the 'objective' performance of each Beyblade. Testing by yourself means that you are biased towards your own methods of launching and launch power, and you also have to shoot the Beyblades separately. Testing with two people means that two different launching styles and powers can collide, and you're also launching at the same time, so the environment is closer to being authentic from that standpoint.

If you look at the results there was a couple times when the results basically flipped when Jesse and I switched Beyblades. I can't totally explain why that happened, but it did. To me, tests conducted with one person and tests conducted with two people are simply different, not more or less accurate. Although in the case of Attack-type testing, they may actually be more accurate with two people because of the simultaneous launch. There's so many variables to consider though ...

(Jul. 09, 2015  3:01 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: So, are we gonna indiscriminately use Spin Finish and Over Finish now? Because these names are awful, especially Over Finish. lol

Haha, good question. I like the idea of appending each method of winning with "Finish", and it sounds cool ... but yeah, Over Finish isn't as self-evident as "Knockout". I don't know if we should invent our own and just call it "Knockout Finish" instead.

(Jul. 09, 2015  3:40 PM)Wombat Wrote: I kinda figured at least the Spriggan Layer would suck, it has a pretty recoily-looking design. Those teeth you were talking about that designate "HP", are they on both the Layer and the Driver or just the Layer? If it's just the Layer there's nothing we can do but if we put it on a (hypothetical, obviously it doesn't exist yet) sharp-tooth Driver with a high friction tip it could maybe pull of some big hits.

They are only on the Layer.

(Jul. 09, 2015  3:40 PM)Wombat Wrote: Well isn't it hard to keep "successive, strong attacks" using just a standard Flat Driver (assuming MFB Tip logic applies to Drivers) with the Sliding Shoot? From what I recall F wasn't able to keep the flower pattern well. How wide is Accel compared to F/WF/XF anyways?

You're right that it is a little bit hard, but I can recall some battles where Valkyrie was able to get on a good angle and repeatedly lunge into the center, landing attacks on the opponent. A rubber flat Driver will of course be better once it's released, though.

Hm, Accel is somewhere between F and WF, I think ... Don't quote me on that. I haven't compared it yet.

(Jul. 09, 2015  3:40 PM)Wombat Wrote: How aggressive is the Defense Driver? B-series tips from MFB could be aggressive if launched hard enough, so that could allow you to avoid the opponent and then settle for Stamina later on (which, if true, could have played a part in how Kerbeus beat Valk so easily). Another question about Defense: did those tabs on the side scrape at all or was it just bad perspective on the official images? If they scraped how badly did it affect performance?

It wasn't really aggressive from what I can recall. But that might change once we get the string launcher.

If anything, the tabs on the bottom probably helped when it got hit towards the Tornado Ridge.

(Jul. 09, 2015  3:40 PM)Wombat Wrote: If by any chance you have 2 Kerbeus (not sure if you would have though to prepare for mirror match testing, if not we have to wait until 1234 gets his Burst) could you try Kerbeus ___ Defense vs. Kerbeus ___ Fusion/Kerbeus ___ Survive? Based on what you said about Fusion it and Defense may have similar movement patterns (semi-aggressive and then stationary). I'd also want to see if Defense can SF Survive when it's on another Kerbeus. Also, could you do benchmark tests (probably vs. Stock Valk) on seeing which Disk would work best for Kerbeus ___ Defense/Fusion?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I'm pretty sure I speak for most people here when I say I'm interested in how this new system works, haha.

I don't have any duplicates yet, unfortunately. I spent enough money already on the pre-release WHF versions haha. We're going to do a lot of customization battles tonight.

(Jul. 09, 2015  4:07 PM)Kujikato Wrote: Fantastic tests Kei & JessieObre, thanks so much for supplying them.

No problem! Glad you found them interesting.

(Jul. 09, 2015  4:14 PM)Beyonomics Wrote: From my experience, the beyblade must be fully tightened in order to fit on the launcher.

Ah yeah, that's actually right. I didn't really recognize that since I tightened them each time.

(Jul. 09, 2015  4:29 PM)The Boss Wrote: At Anime North, I've often found stamina battles to be so long and boring that I would often leave the stadium for a couple of minutes. My instinct is to say that late game bursts are fair at the very least, and keep a battle engaging during its entire time at the very best. It sucks for the losing player, but it ultimately makes the game more fun.

Jesse and I were joking about this actually hahaha. You won't be able to do that anymore! And that's what makes this series great; it eliminates those 'boring' battles and creates a tension between both players right until the end of every single battle.

Bey Brad Wrote:Can I just say that I really didn't intend the HP allegory to be used as an actual discussion term? Surely we can find something more appropriate, like Burst Resistance.

Yeah, maybe we can. But at the same time, "Hit Points" is quite literally what these Beyblades have.
I guess, but the fact that it's possible to be hit without the probability of Burst increasing makes "HP" a poor allegory; if anything, HP works better for rotational speed. But anyway ... there are better things to talk about. haha
I wonder when rubber will hit burst. I think rubber parts wI'll be much more balanced here, since smash attacks may cause the bey to hit a few notches closer to bursting.

I put an idea of what might be the first burst to wrid a rubber drivet in my thread of creating a burst.
(Jul. 09, 2015  8:57 PM)Sion Wrote: I wonder when rubber will hit burst. I think rubber parts wI'll be much more balanced here, since smash attacks may cause the bey to hit a few notches closer to bursting.

I put an idea of what might be the first burst to wrid a rubber drivet in my thread of creating a burst.

My bet is that it comes when Valkyrie gets upgraded for the anime launch.