Basalt Horogium 145WD Draft

Just read this over. There is a lot of things that I want to change, but it's a good start. As soon as things settle down with the aftermath of BeyDays, this will be the first article that gets my attention as I try to shift my focus back to Beywiki.
BUMP

OK, I'll be waiting, Kei!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Might want to add something about the Staircase causing imbalance, and that's why wobbling/recoil is produced. It's a solid start, but if Kei is going to add bits I'll let him get on. :]
BUMP

OK, ♥, fixed!

Should I add sections about MF-H Libra 85WD and MF-H Basalt Kerbecs 230 MF/WF?
Sorry it took me so long to get to this, Mr. N!

(Mar. 14, 2011  1:34 AM)Mr. N Wrote: Basalt Horogium 145WD

System: Hybrid Wheel System
Number: BB-104
Type: Defense

Note: Basalt Horogium was released as a starter by TAKARA-TOMY with the Light Launcher 2, while the Sonokong starter was released with the Snipe Launcher.

Basalt Horogium 145WD is the fifth and final Beyblade in the Maximum Series. Basalt Horogium 145WD's "gimmick" is the "maximum weight" of its Metal Wheel.

Name Change
Basalt Horogium 145WD was released by Hasbro as Twisted Tempo 145WD.

Face: Horogium
Weight: 1.05 Grams

The Face on this Beyblade depicts Horologium, one of the 88 constellations in space. Horologium is the pendulum clock constellation.

Clear Wheel: Horogium
Weight: 2.71 Grams

The Horogium Clear Wheel was released in a grayish-blue color. It is gear shaped, with white Roman Numerals reminiscent of a clock decorating the circumference. However, there is a rectangular gap where "III" is supposed to be and 2 clock hands causing irregular weight distribution. Therefore, this Clear Wheel shouldn't be used in any Defense or Stamina combos. However, Horogium exposes the slopes on the Screw Metal Wheel, and can be used in the Attack custom described below.

Use In Attack Customization

Though Pisces exposes Screw better than Horogium, it can still be used in the Attack custom MF Screw Horogium 90RF.

Metal Wheel: Basalt
Weight: 47.52 Grams

Basalt is a completely circular Wheel, with sets of indents distributed around it's circumference, and is almost cylindrical in it's thickness, part of which overhangs the Track being used in conjunction with it.

Basalt is a member of the Maximum Series, with it's "gimmick" being "maximum weight". It is the heaviest Metal Wheel ever created; much heavier and thicker than even the infamous Libra. Basalt's circular nature, in combination with it's abnormally heavy weight make it without a doubt, the absolute best Wheel for Defense customizations.

However, all Basalt Wheels are missing from the interior of the Wheel a chunk of metal which forms what is called the "Spiral Staircase of Death". The "Spiral Staircase of Death" was meant to neuter Basalt's incredibly high power slightly by creating an imbalance within the Wheel. While this imbalance does indeed occur, it is not a notable hindrance to it's usefulness. In fact, despite the imbalance/wobbling caused by the "Spiral Staircase of Death", Basalt is also currently one of the best Stamina Wheels available. The imbalance/wobbling caused by the "Spiral Staircase of Death" does contribute slightly to the recoil Basalt suffers, but again, this is not a huge hindrance to it's usefulness.

Use in Defense Customization

Although Basalt has recoil because of the metal missing from the wheel, its sheer weight alone makes Basalt more effective than Earth and even Libra at Defense. Its capabilities can be utilized in the custom MF-H Basalt Bull BD145MB.

Use in Stamina Customization

Basalt may have a bad solo-spin time, but nevertheless, it's Stamina in battle is arguably unmatched. In addition, it's recoil reduces the opponent's rotation speed and can sometimes knock it out. Basalt's Stamina ability can be used to great effect in the custom Basalt Bull AD145WD.

Track: 145
Weight: 1.47 Grams

This track is a regular, non-gimmicked track at the 145 height. It can be used in Stamina customs to great effect to to its tall height, but has been outclassed for wobbler customs by 230. It used to be on par for Stamina customs with DF145, but AD145 offers better Stamina on a 145 height, and 85 offers better Stamina in general. Thus, it's outclassed in Stamina.

If AD145, 85, and 230 aren't accessible, 145 still can be used in the custom Burn/Earth Bull 145WD. Though outclassed, it is still decent.

Bottom: Wide Defense
Weight: 0.81

Wide Defense, as its name implies is the widest of the “Defense” series of Bottoms (D, SD, WD, EWD, W²D and PD). This brings numerous advantages, but also some disadvantages when compared to the other “Defense” Bottoms. Many people choose WD over SD because of better balance, and better spin times. Also, because of its massive width that reaches the edge of the Bottom's perimeter, it is able to wobble at a significantly larger angle for a longer period of time than D, SD, or PD, and at a much lower spin rate. This can be advantageous in many battles, particularly those between two Stamina types when they are about to topple over; however, if you happen to have a weaker shot than your opponent who is using something such as Burn Bull AD145SD, WDs low spin rate towards the end of the battle will make it extremely easy for the opponent to knock it completely over. This low spin rate towards the end of the battle is created because in the process of wobbling at such a large angle, more friction is made with the stadium floor, thus decreasing its Stamina. This is all avoidable however if your shot is at least as powerful as your opponent, as the extra time it is able to spin on an angle will allow you to narrowly outspin your D or SD based opponent.

WD is arguably the best of the "Defense" series, and can be used in the custom MF Hell Kerbecs BD145WD. This defeats other Stamina wheels like Burn and Earth with ease, but struggles against MF-H Basalt Bull 230CS.

Other Versions

Random Booster Volume 7 - Vulcan Horogium BD145RS

Overall
Basalt Horogium 145WD contains two top-tier parts that every Blader needs to play at a high level competitively; Basalt and WD. WD is one of the best Stamina Bottoms available, and Basalt, with it's astronomical weight is indisputably the best Defense Wheel to date. Horogium, while a non-essential part, does have use as a good alternative to Pisces for exposing Screw's slopes. Every Blader should own at least one of this Beyblade.

I made a number of additions/edits, mostly to the Basalt Wheel and Overall sections. Not sure if this is completely ready yet, but you can all give your opinions and make your own edits if you'd like.
Thanks, Kei!

I edited it.

Anything else, anyone?
Surely we should point out the fact that CS can be used in the Basalt defense combo? Maybe you could explain in a sentence the strengths and weaknesses of the different forms?

And IIRC, Screw Pisces/Horogium never needed an MF because it was even heavier than Earth (35g's approx.)

Maybe a mention of MF-H Basalt Bull 230CS as well?
(Mar. 16, 2011  10:23 AM)Janstarblast Wrote: Hey, in Ask a Q get A, I asked a Q related to Basalt, and I was told it has use in stamina customization..... Therefore, its better as a Stamina wheel than a Defense wheel.... I think the answer by the person was quite confident... So, I request you to find something related....

How is Basalt a Stamina wheel when the "Spiral Staircase of Death" causes it to wobble and lose balance? That does not make sense at all. It has to be a defense wheel. It even says it on the packaging. If a bey loses balance, it loses its spin strength too, which is a very simple way of putting it. Besides, Scythe is now the new top tier stamina wheel, according to the testing by AkirasDaddy in THIS video.
(Jun. 29, 2011  1:32 AM)Futomos Wrote:
(Mar. 16, 2011  10:23 AM)Janstarblast Wrote: Hey, in Ask a Q get A, I asked a Q related to Basalt, and I was told it has use in stamina customization..... Therefore, its better as a Stamina wheel than a Defense wheel.... I think the answer by the person was quite confident... So, I request you to find something related....

How is Basalt a Stamina wheel when the "Spiral Staircase of Death" causes it to wobble and lose balance? That does not make sense at all. It has to be a defense wheel. It even says it on the packaging. If a bey loses balance, it loses its spin strength too, which is a very simple way of putting it. Besides, Scythe is now the new top tier stamina wheel, according to the testing by AkirasDaddy in THIS video.

A 4 month old statement...

Reply Illogical

But anyway, he may be refering to its ability to KO an opposing stamina beys due to their low grip
(Jun. 29, 2011  1:46 AM)Soundwave Wrote:
(Jun. 29, 2011  1:32 AM)Futomos Wrote:

A 4 month old statement...

Reply Illogical

But anyway, he may be refering to its ability to KO an opposing stamina beys due to their low grip

Well, that is debatable, so I agree in that case.
(Jun. 29, 2011  1:09 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: Surely we should point out the fact that CS can be used in the Basalt defense combo? Maybe you could explain in a sentence the strengths and weaknesses of the different forms?

Maybe a mention of MF-H Basalt Bull 230CS as well?

I don't see why we would need to mention it. We don't have to explain/list every possible strong combination on Beywiki.

Good idea. If no one else does it before the article is posted, I'll add it myself.

(Jun. 29, 2011  1:32 AM)Futomos Wrote: How is Basalt a Stamina wheel when the "Spiral Staircase of Death" causes it to wobble and lose balance? That does not make sense at all. It has to be a defense wheel. It even says it on the packaging. If a bey loses balance, it loses its spin strength too, which is a very simple way of putting it. Besides, Scythe is now the new top tier stamina wheel, according to the testing by AkirasDaddy in THIS video.

Despite the "Spiral Staircase of Death", Basalt is still an incredible Stamina Wheel in addition to being the best Defense Wheel. If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't tested one yourself.

Also, no, Scythe is not automatically the "new top tier stamina wheel" just because it had a great solo spin time (with a modified Rev Up Launcher, I might add). That doesn't even qualify as "testing". There is a big difference between what the solo spin time of a Beyblade will tell you versus how it performs in battle against another Beyblade.
Also, you all have to keep in mind that these are small spinning tops. The Spiral Staircase of Death does not have such a huge impact as some of you seem to believe, because it seems you never even tried Basalt.
Could there also be a mention of Basalt Bull 230D?
I think that and this draft should wait.

You'd be nuts to try to write this now because of basalt being in debate. It's a waste of time right now IMO.
Very true, sorry for the unneccessary comment.
Basalt is not unmatched in stamina anymore, *Phantom*
Only a couple people have tested it, and we need more tests.
I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I think it is somewhat safe to say Phantom does outmatch Basalt in Stamina.
Other than a few little updates here and there I think it should really be put up, no?
I was thinking of the same thing, Dan. Has anyone else known that Smash attack combos like MF VariAres CH120/R145RF/R2F can easily beat Basalt by KO, unlike Phantom, which has a higher Spin Velocity and less recoil than Basalt, so shouldn't it be safe to say that Phantom outmatches Basalt? Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think that we need more tests on Phantom vs Basalt before we come to that conclusion.
We have a fair amount of members saying the same thing: not only does it beat basalt, but consistently and by a very large margin.
Hey, what would anyone say about having a "Controversy over Basalt" section, like the one in the Libra Article?
(Oct. 05, 2011  11:57 PM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Hey, what would anyone say about having a "Controversy over Basalt" section, like the one in the Libra Article?

It would make sense to do that, but unlike Libra, Basalt was not banned, and just to add that due to the prior release of Phantom, there would be no point in banning Basalt if it is matched by an even better 4D wheel, Phantom.
This article is definitely in need of being posted, Basalt honestly changed the meta-game more than any attacker has.
I just PMed Kei about it.