Attack on Titan [Shingeki no Kyojin]

Attack on Titan

It's rare that an anime actually gets me angry because it's only two episodes into the series, but that's how incredible Attack on Titan is. This show is amazingly awesome, I can barely believe it.

Okay, so the setting is a semi-medieval period (I say semi-medieval because, while no real machine per se exist, they still have some interesting gadgets I'll get into later) and in this world, people live inside a walled off city. Why is it walled off? BECAUSE GIANTS ROAM THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND EAT HUMANS FOR SEEMINGLY NO REASON. While the giants have no reason to eat people, as they don't really seem to NEED to eat, they do it anyway, as if it's an instinct to them. A young boy named Eren sees his life turned upside down the day a fifty meter-tall titan attacks and actually breaches the wall that had protected the city for a hundred years. The poor boy even sees his mother gruesomely eaten by a titan before his eyes. As he witnesses the destruction the titans are capable of first hand, he vows to kill every last one of them, joining the army to do so. He's accompanied by Mikasa, his adoptive sister, and Armin, his best friend, both of whom have pretty much the same reasons as he does for hating the titans.

What's very cool about this show is that the titans are so mysterious: None of them have genitalia and yet their numbers keep rising; None of them talks and, in fact, none of them seem to be very intelligent, so what's their reason for being and for eating tons (And I mean TONS) of humans when they don't even need to to survive? Is someone creating them? I like all the characters so far: Eren, while being sort of the usual gutsy kid that bark a lot but doesn't even have the strength to fight (yet) is very likeable and the anime makes it easy for us to sympathize with his quest for revenge. Mikasa is by far my favourite: She has kind of a Rukia Kuchiki feel to her where she's very serious and collected and wants to protect the ones she cares for (i.e Eren) though it's obvious there's more to her, not only because adopted kids in anime ALWAYS implies a dark or troubled past but also because she mentions, while escaping the rampage of the titans on boat, that 'this seems familiar'. Armin, while acting sometimes cowardly, does so only to avoid pointless conflict, showing a level of intelligence not displayed by say Eren and as such makes a good match for the hot-heated protagonist. There's also an odd mystery surrounding Eren's father who seems to have performed some odd experiments on his own son, though they have yet to elaborate on that.

I urge you all to check out this excellent show, though fair warning: Not for the faint of heart.
I've heard a lot of great things about the manga, and the new anime that recently started. I'm gonna start it soon, it seems really cool. I love the opening though, one of my favorites Smile
Yeaaaah, the opening is awesome, I love the fight between Random Giant #42 and Mikasa. She kicks carp!! Plus, Trumpet + Epic Choir + Awesome Visuals = Brilliance!

Apparently, this IS a weekly show, which is awesome. Finally got something to replace Bleach and Fairy Tail XD
It's only going to have 25 episodes unless it gets a season 2. The art for this series is really good too, stunning visuals.
The anime is amazing and very faithful to the manga. The problem is the manga is monthly and its only 44 chapters in. if the anime averages 1.5 manga chapters then its going to end abruptly or is going to have an anime only ending. I have very high hopes for it so far. I really can't wait to see certain manga chapters get animated!
So I just watched the 3 episodes that are out, and they were awesome. I can't wait for the next episode, and that usually doesn't happen. The titans are really mysterious, and I want to know more about them. I like all of the main characters, my favorite is probably Armin. The art and animation for this series is also magnificent, I really love it. This anime is really great so far, and it will probably end up being one of my favorites.
Episode 3 was indeed pretty nice! I never even suspected that
so it shows that the anime can still surprise me (Which, for someone as jaded and snob as myself, is quite something)

I like the new character of Sasha, or 'Potato Girl' as she's usually referred to in the episode. I really didn't think a show like this would have comic relief but she brings in a fun element to ease this very, very serious plot without making it forced.

So yeah, good third episode Joyful_3
Honestly, I was more excited for this show after watching the PV than I am now. It definitely looks promising, but I'm just not a fan of the characters, particularly Eren. That being said, it has great OP, unique plot, & a different style of art. I'm interested to see how this anime progresses...
(Apr. 22, 2013  1:27 PM)Dude Wrote: Episode 3 was indeed pretty nice! I never even suspected that
so it shows that the anime can still surprise me (Which, for someone as jaded and snob as myself, is quite something)

I like the new character of Sasha, or 'Potato Girl' as she's usually referred to in the episode. I really didn't think a show like this would have comic relief but she brings in a fun element to ease this very, very serious plot without making it forced.

So yeah, good third episode Joyful_3

Did you guys see the new episode? It was pretty good. There was a really cool scene with Eren and Jean, and then one other kind of funny scene following that with Mikasa(my favorite character) and Sasha. The art and music was stunning as always, and this anime is just so good. But man, sometimes I just want to punch Jean right in the face.
Looks like things are starting to get exciting, judging by yesterday's episode Gasp I hope they don't skip another 5 years though...
Mikasa is pretty badass.
Yeah, she's my favorite. The ending of the episode was so epic, I love how the show's mood can change so rapidly. They're just relaxing on the wall thing talking about meat when all of a sudden
Ahaha that was awesome. Still not a fan of Eren though...I don't know why. It's not that I hate him, I just don't like his attitude.
Episode 4...

Oh. My. God!!! O____________O

It's rare these days that a show actually gets a 'Jaw-dropped-in-surprise-and-excitement' from me, but this episode did. I'm not gonna spoil it, just go watch it. It's BRILLIANT!!

I can understand not having any particular love for Eren, he's basically the typical determined protagonist, but he shows excellent leadership and courage in episode 4 (My favourite so far, if that wasn't obvious) which helps making him into a likeable protagonist. My fav is still Mikasa, especially for a few things she does in this episode. This is seriously becoming one of my favourite shows.
One of my friends told me about this anime, and I'm very glad I've seen it otherwise I would regret not watching an awesome & epic anime, especially one base from a manga. I love the OP theme, and the anime itself of course. I'll be adding this anime within my top 10 favourites, because of its epicness.

I can't wait for more episodes I'm looking forward to episode 5, it'll have action scenes for sure because of the preview.

SPOILER for Episode 4 ending
Okay, my question is why, if the wall was so easy for the titans to break down, did they leave these people alone for so long? Like they just realized one day that there was food living right next to them all this time? Just seems a little sudden to me...& how did the titans get there? Hopefully this willl all be explained later.
OMG I love this anime, especially the opening. I cant wait for the next episode.
(Apr. 30, 2013  2:58 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Okay, my question is why, if the wall was so easy for the titans to break down, did they leave these people alone for so long? Like they just realized one day that there was food living right next to them all this time? Just seems a little sudden to me...& how did the titans get there? Hopefully this willl all be explained later.

The only giant that managed to break the wall is the skinless, 50 feet tall one and he seems to hadn't been seen before in the context of the series. The tallest giants had reached 15 feet, so they might have been able to do some damage, but it's really the 50 feet one that broke the wall so easily.

It's part of the intrigue. What IS that monster? Why can he teleport through a blast of lightning? Is it magic? Sorcery? I wanna know!
(Apr. 30, 2013  9:26 PM)Dude Wrote:
(Apr. 30, 2013  2:58 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Okay, my question is why, if the wall was so easy for the titans to break down, did they leave these people alone for so long? Like they just realized one day that there was food living right next to them all this time? Just seems a little sudden to me...& how did the titans get there? Hopefully this willl all be explained later.

The only giant that managed to break the wall is the skinless, 50 feet tall one and he seems to hadn't been seen before in the context of the series. The tallest giants had reached 15 feet, so they might have been able to do some damage, but it's really the 50 feet one that broke the wall so easily.

It's part of the intrigue. What IS that monster? Why can he teleport through a blast of lightning? Is it magic? Sorcery? I wanna know!
I hate to nit pick but the tallest was 15 meters before (50 feet, almost average Gundam height) and the one who is skinless is over 50 meters tall(over 160 feet), some say over 60 meters, but I'll go with his low end height(which is still at least 10 meters taller than the tallest gundam).
Episode 5 was AMAZING. It's definitely my favorite episode so far, and it was just simply jaw-dropping.
Episode 5... Oh my freakin' lord...

That 'not for the faint of heart' at the beginning of the topic is becoming surprisingly true Oo Great episode, but... Jesus O___O
Definitely a plot twist Gasp Although I think the next episode will be pretty predictable myself...
(May. 06, 2013  5:16 PM)The Supreme One Wrote: Definitely a plot twist Gasp Although I think the next episode will be pretty predictable myself...

No plot armor will bring you back from that, not even Kira Yamato's. Episode 5 has set the pace, the next episode is destined to be a little slow, but the next 3-4 will be action packed and hard hitting. My favorite part of the series is the fact that anyone can die, no one is safe. That adds thrill and suspense. I can't wait so see certain things get animated from the manga. The team that put this together has so far done one of the best adaptations I've seen yet. This is the best anime of the summer and probably one of this year's top 3. Do yourselves a favor and resist the urge to read the manga, it is great but it'll spoil the suspense of the anime and somewhat ruin the mood (a bit hypocritical for me to say having read all the chapters but take my word for it.)
just started watching and cought up to episode 5, but i was watching it with my brother and he almost fainted after episode 5 trying to walk out of the room.

ps: OMG the starting theme is amazing!!!!
Really liked this week's episode. Looks like Mikasa will be taking over as the main character for now, which just makes things even better imo, since she's my favorite character & her past makes for an interesting internal conflict, later on.