Apr-16-2023: "Silver Springs Tries out WBBA Rules!" tournament reports

The following are words I have to say about "Silver Springs Tries out WBBA Rules!", an unranked Burst Standard tournament using Singapore's 5G format.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1eJxZXRP8 . This one's a classic, and by classic I mean only I have ever heard it.

- It turns out the past 3 reports I had the year listed as 2022 erroneously. Oops. Fixed them.

- We had 22 participants today, making this a 5 round swiss. Everyone got to play at least 5. No tiebreakers this time.

- We started around 12:35, and the first round went until about 3:00. The tournament itself wrapped up around 3:42. We had to start a little late because the tournament space was in use. We had 2 running beystadiums total. Not many idle beystadiums this time! I did a lot of judging today.

- The weather was very nice outside, way warmer than two weeks ago, and we were outdoors. Mostly cloudy overhead for the day, so no one got miserably hot.

- A birthday party delayed the tournament! Normally we use the pavilion, it's first come first serve, but for some reason today we did not get there first. It's important for the organizer to show up at least 2.5 hours before the start, to grab the space before someone else does! There was a birthday party present for very small children, more of a parent's brunch than anything else, and they said they would wrap up around 12. They lied of course. One of the parents decided the end of a birthday party when people were waiting to use the space was an ideal time to give their child complicated medicine. Cool. We ended up using different picnic tables than we normally do, setting up tarp and mats between them for the third beystadium. We didn't ruin a birthday party this time, they ruined us! Beybladers 6, Birthday Parties 1.

- This was using Signapore's 5G format, the rules of which are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10z6K...otB7E/edit# With some differences: We didn't make it single elimination, we didn't make everyone keep their deck constant the entire game, and we weren't capped at 16 people. And we had 5G format finals for the top 8. We also used the DB beystadium for this. Plus, one direction switching beyblade permitted to switch direction.

- 5G is a way different experience. It's first to 3 points, but you have 5 beys and KOs and bursts are worth 2. I experienced a reshuffle only once. I don't know how many other matches had them. KOs and bursts are hugely impactful, and self-KOs counted as KOs. I saw MANY matches end due to self-KOs. Not nearly as many rubber flat drivers, usually Guilty was run on staminas or reboots or drifts or something else.

- The Supreme One had a legal deck with 4 Drifts in it and High Xtend+'. That's right, Drift, Metal Drift, Bearing Drift, AND Metal Bearing Drift. That's a lotta drifts! Susceptible to KO, sure, but in a DB beystadium, not nearly as much. And she went 5-0 in first stage and did well in finals.

- Because each blader needed to bring 5 beys to each match with no repeat parts, I was generally careful to inspect ahead of time. One blader had fake parts without realizing it. A lot of people brought too few beys and used the box of loaner beys.

- I judged many matches today. Dragreus111 ran 3 beystadiums, so we had a lot of people judging, and backup judges, and a head judge for ties. And oh yes, we had a lot of ties. Numerous instances of two ties in a row that I'm aware of, and I wound up having to judge a lot of these ties.

- Lot of Wind, Dynamite, Guilty, Vanish made a big comeback since we were using DBs, a couple of Ultimates and surprisingly Burst layers, a few Prominence. and a heckton of World. Most of the experienced bladers were using World Wheel Drift, because even though the burst risk is there you can direction switch and potentially win more than you lose. KOs were worth 2 today, but not too many people were trying to capitalize on that. I saw some Vanish combos used to try and KO.

- I went 3-2 today. Again. This is absurdly typical for me now, we just have a lot of strong bladers in the central atlantic. I defeated Ajiskool, but the rest of my opponents were all tried and true experts in the region. I don't remember how I beat geetster99, but it probably involved self-KO. Broyeeto beat me again, but it was close. Somehow beat Friedpasta this time, and took my second loss to CrisisCrusher07. Less of a rout this time.

- My deck was fairly typical. I made some changes before starting, I realized that everyone was avoiding Wind on Bearing Drift because of scrape issues. I put my BDr on Dynamite Illegal, HXt+' on Wind Over, Metal Drift on Vanish Bahamut Giga, and World Wheel Drift. For Guilty, you know by now my attack launches are iffy at the best of times, and in DB Beystadium they're even worse. I saw a bunch of creative choices for Guilty on there today, but I went with Atomic' and Spread'. Stamina enough if needed, and as long as I don't circle the middle I didn't really need a huge flower pattern. I DID win some battles with it. Lost others.

- 3-2 is rarely enough to make it to the finals when 8 other people go 3-2, but today the buchholz gods smiled on me and I managed 6th place in the first stage. Actually we had one 5-0, two 4-1, and then 11 people go 3-2. We had 8 people who went 2-3! Honestly, kind of a weird series of outcomes.

- My quarterfinals match against @"Allen Shaffer" was more or less a rout. It was 5G, not deck, so I liked the format more. The judge initially called our first match a tie, which is what I saw myself, but Allen asked him to review it with another judge, and they called it for his bey. Okay, sure. So the next round we get World Drift vs World Drift. After mode changes, we both wound up in left. We both launched hard (same spin, we more or less had to). And mine burst. 3-0, ah well! He got me.

- The first place match got... complicated. JCMakeEmBurst was up against Broyeeto, and they were 1-1. I didn't witness any of these battles myself. They had another battle, and there was a burst, so 3-1, Broyeeto is announced as the winner. Minutes pass. Then JC talks to Dragreus111 challenging the ruling, on the grounds that his own camera captured footage that made it look like a late launch by Broyeeto. So they ended up redoing it from 1-1, and this time around JC won with 3-2. Everyone, if you think your opponent launched late, take it up with the judge Immediately.

- JCMakeEmBurst got 1st place! Broyeeto 2nd. The Supreme One 3rd, and Allen Schaffer 4th.

- Having to watch for midair bey contact prior to both beys touching the floor came up a lot during this tournament, just like in the past 4 tournaments, and and I had to void a bunch of battles I was judging because of it, while continually being on the lookout for it. I write about how terrible this rule is every single tournament report and nothing is done about it. So I'll abridge it this time. If you wrote or advocated for this rule, then you need to think harder about the downstream ramifications of your actions and consider what the effects of your change will be a bit more thoroughly before you make any more.

- CrisisCrusher07 had a genius idea for how to solve the midair contact rule: Only void a battle where the beys contacted before both hit the ground if the battle ended in a KO or Burst. If there was an outspin finish, let the battle stand. We should implement that change. Now.

- I really enjoy 5G in DB. It's fast, it let's people try different and unconventional bey combos. It avoids the strategic agony of reshuffles for the most part, although if we do this again I would say keep KOs at 2 but put no-contact KOs back to 1.

- There was an MFL tournament afterwards! But I do not have the energy to attend two tournaments in one weekend. Actually, I don't have nearly the energy to do a whole lot anymore, I go to sleep 1-2 hours earlier basically every day. I'm worried about me.

It was a very fun tournament!
(Apr. 16, 2023  11:32 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: - The first place match got... complicated. JCMakeEmBurst was up against Broyeeto, and they were 1-1. I didn't witness any of these battles myself. They had another battle, and there was a burst, so 3-1, Broyeeto is announced as the winner. Minutes pass. Then JC talks to Dragreus111 challenging the ruling, on the grounds that his own camera captured footage that made it look like a late launch by Broyeeto. So they ended up redoing it from 1-1, and this time around JC won with 3-2. Everyone, if you think your opponent launched late, take it up with the judge Immediately.

- JCMakeEmBurst got 1st place! Broyeeto 2nd. The Supreme One 3rd, and Allen Schaffer 4th.

Yeah this is bs and not behaviour I can respect, if you didn't notice during the match for something like that you shouldn't be asking for a replay and it shouldn't be allowed imo. For launch stuff if it wasn't big enough to notice during the match it probably didn't matter enough.

Thanks for the detailed report as always Crab, much appreciated.
(Apr. 16, 2023  11:57 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Apr. 16, 2023  11:32 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: - The first place match got... complicated. JCMakeEmBurst was up against Broyeeto, and they were 1-1. I didn't witness any of these battles myself. They had another battle, and there was a burst, so 3-1, Broyeeto is announced as the winner. Minutes pass. Then JC talks to Dragreus111 challenging the ruling, on the grounds that his own camera captured footage that made it look like a late launch by Broyeeto. So they ended up redoing it from 1-1, and this time around JC won with 3-2. Everyone, if you think your opponent launched late, take it up with the judge Immediately.

Yeah this is bs and not behaviour I can respect, if you didn't notice during the match for something like that you shouldn't be asking for a replay and it shouldn't be allowed imo. For launch stuff if it wasn't big enough to notice during the match it probably didn't matter enough.

So I want to respond to this first off with saying I do agree with you. But I do want to sort of play devils advocate with the fact that how the rule is currently worded sometimes it is really hard to determine or even notice in real time that something “illegal” may have occurred. So at that point in time as a judge and even a player, you really don’t want to stop the battle right then and there off of a hunch when that hunch could be wrong. So for the most part our community has kind of let the battles happen and then double checked the launches after just to be safe. I’ll be honest on this one, I don’t know if what we are doing in MD is 100% correct compared to what the staff may have intended this was just what we determined to be the best way to handle the rule. If we are doing it wrong, someone please correct us!
- CrisisCrusher07 had a genius idea for how to solve the midair contact rule: Only void a battle where the beys contacted before both hit the ground if the battle ended in a KO or Burst. If there was an outspin finish, let the battle stand. We should implement that change. Now.

Yes, i agree totally! it dont make sense if the "snipe" would not affect the outcome of a battle much (usually for outspins), but get the battle voided anyway 🙄.
i would rather if it could follow a similar clause to what Singapore WBBA has for foul launches (adapted from the rulebook):

Having a clause somewhere in the rulebook regarding foul launches and tweaking the definition of sniping a little could give some leeway to accidental sniping and mislaunches, while not giving someone an unfair KO/Burst loss through sniping. the WBO does not have to fully adapt this rule, but something similar put in place would be nice 😁
(Apr. 17, 2023  3:00 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Apr. 16, 2023  11:57 PM)th!nk Wrote: Yeah this is bs and not behaviour I can respect, if you didn't notice during the match for something like that you shouldn't be asking for a replay and it shouldn't be allowed imo. For launch stuff if it wasn't big enough to notice during the match it probably didn't matter enough.

So I want to respond to this first off with saying I do agree with you. But I do want to sort of play devils advocate with the fact that how the rule is currently worded sometimes it is really hard to determine or even notice in real time that something “illegal” may have occurred. So at that point in time as a judge and even a player, you really don’t want to stop the battle right then and there off of a hunch when that hunch could be wrong. So for the most part our community has kind of let the battles happen and then double checked the launches after just to be safe. I’ll be honest on this one, I don’t know if what we are doing in MD is 100% correct compared to what the staff may have intended this was just what we determined to be the best way to handle the rule. If we are doing it wrong, someone please correct us!

What I do is when I have a hunch as a judge I say so as I see it, and review the round afterwards. And, pretty bad look for a player to go chasing things up well after a tournament winner has been announced. Just poor sportsmanship and a bad look imo.

Also re the KO/burst only gatyakki stuff, I would be wary of that solution encouraging using it defensively. I do want to see how other regions are going with the rule as when I asked most places seemed like they weren't having the issue so not really sure what's up
(Apr. 17, 2023  9:56 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Apr. 17, 2023  3:00 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: So I want to respond to this first off with saying I do agree with you. But I do want to sort of play devils advocate with the fact that how the rule is currently worded sometimes it is really hard to determine or even notice in real time that something “illegal” may have occurred. So at that point in time as a judge and even a player, you really don’t want to stop the battle right then and there off of a hunch when that hunch could be wrong. So for the most part our community has kind of let the battles happen and then double checked the launches after just to be safe. I’ll be honest on this one, I don’t know if what we are doing in MD is 100% correct compared to what the staff may have intended this was just what we determined to be the best way to handle the rule. If we are doing it wrong, someone please correct us!

What I do is when I have a hunch as a judge I say so as I see it, and review the round afterwards. And, pretty bad look for a player to go chasing things up well after a tournament winner has been announced. Just poor sportsmanship and a bad look imo.

Also re the KO/burst only gatyakki stuff, I would be wary of that solution encouraging using it defensively. I do want to see how other regions are going with the rule as when I asked most places seemed like they weren't having the issue so not really sure what's up
To be a little more fair, the amount the mid air collision is happening and matches are needed to be redone are happening way more with newer players/little kids. A relaunch does not end up being necessary often with experienced players. That part has not been reflected in all of the tournament reports. I think out of all of my matches yesterday we needed 1 relaunch to occur. So out of 6 rounds for me it’s at least 2 battles happening 1/12 does not seem bad to me.
(Apr. 17, 2023  12:42 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Apr. 17, 2023  9:56 AM)th!nk Wrote: What I do is when I have a hunch as a judge I say so as I see it, and review the round afterwards. And, pretty bad look for a player to go chasing things up well after a tournament winner has been announced. Just poor sportsmanship and a bad look imo.

To be a little more fair, the amount the mid air collision is happening and matches are needed to be redone are happening way more with newer players/little kids. A relaunch does not end up being necessary often with experienced players. That part has not been reflected in all of the tournament reports. I think out of all of my matches yesterday we needed 1 relaunch to occur. So out of 6 rounds for me it’s at least 2 battles happening 1/12 does not seem bad to me.

Ah, yeah that seems reasonable enough. Do remember there is that part in either the rulebook or one of the guides about going easier on kids and newbies, if that helps Tongue_out