2 Proposals with Gen X

Hello everyone. I am not sure if this has been discussed or thought of already but I wanted to put 2 things out there. 

1. We have had issues and disagreements with rankings in the past. Such as the difficulty it may take for players to rank up in smaller regions and players with high BR losing a severe amount of points on one loss. We've talked about it on our podcast but also it is something discussed with almost all bladers I know. 

My request is that a full new ranking and multiple be set for Gen X. I am sure that this would have already been a given to do but in the event that TT may have similar mechanics or cross compatible parts with burst, I feel it may be best to move forward with the rankings within this system on its on. The community is strong now and without a severe gap in generation releases I think the idea and implementation of a brand new ranking will be quite fun for new and old players.

2. My second request is more important in my opinion. I would suggest that we adopt the "base rules" for the way Gen X should we be played strictly from TT. I say this because we have seen so many issues with burst rules that may have been avoided if we adopted the core way to play the game. We are experimenting with the back wall K.O. rule now which honestly may not have been something we should have implemented in the first place. The definition for spinning recently changed which was good but for several years it was quite confusing. The truth is that none of us know what the new generation will have or how it will be played. But I am very sure that TT is testing them currently. So instead of us waiting for the release, trying to adopt our burst or metal fight rules to fit the new generation and having several "experimental/test' events we can just adopt the core rules and move forward. If something does not mesh with our community in the WBO then we can address that in the future. I just feel we can get ahead of the game now with thinking about making these moves ahead of time. Having our various formats of P3C1, 3v3 and single bey is great but those base rules should be implemented. We still aren't even able to change rotation in our current systems.

This is not to bash anyone it is just something on my mind. Agree or disagree I think we should have an answer or focus by June so we can kick things off with a bang in July. Its a new Gen and a beautiful way for us to revamp our competitive status to get in line with the way the majority of the world plays.
Appreciate your taking the time to write these proposals out! When it comes to blanket adopting WBBA rules, however, I respectfully have to disagree. Unfortunately, Takara Tomy has shown us time and time again that they don't have the time nor the financial incentive to make decisions that are consistently positive for the competitive community. As a fan-run organization, we have the unique opportunity to take what we like and leave what we don't when it comes to the WBBA's ruleset in order to improve the tournament experience from both a competitive and enjoyability standpoint. Rule addendums like the wall bounce rule have generally received positive feedback from the WBO community because they address WBBA oversights and better reflect the play style that our community enjoys.

While I'm sure we all wish we had our own version of the WBBA in the West, I'm grateful for the autonomy that being a grassroots organization affords. Can't speak for anyone else, but I look forward to seeing how we can come together and learn from our experiences with Burst to unlock Gen X's true potential when the time comes Smile
Thanks very much for these considered thoughts . I have a proposal I'm working on related to the second point, some of the wbba rules just... Don't work well with how we do things, but there's room for adopting some of them alongside what we do.

For Gen X though, the stadium is looking odd and we should probably start with adopting most of the TT rules (basically things that don't completely cook stuff for us) while we work out how we want to approach it (or if we want to stick with it).

As I said, I have some more to say but it needs a lot of writing, but I think it should satisfy a lot of what you want here 😊
(Mar. 27, 2023  12:21 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: Appreciate your taking the time to write these proposals out! When it comes to blanket adopting WBBA rules, however, I respectfully have to disagree. Unfortunately, Takara Tomy has shown us time and time again that they don't have the time nor the financial incentive to make decisions that are consistently positive for the competitive community. As a fan-run organization, we have the unique opportunity to take what we like and leave what we don't when it comes to the WBBA's ruleset in order to improve the tournament experience from both a competitive and enjoyability standpoint.  Rule addendums like the wall bounce rule have generally received positive feedback from the WBO community because they address WBBA oversights and better reflect the play style that our community enjoys.

While I'm sure we all wish we had our own version of the WBBA in the West, I'm grateful for the autonomy that being a grassroots organization affords. Can't speak for anyone else, but I look forward to seeing how we can come together and learn from our experiences with Burst to unlock Gen X's true potential when the time comes :)

When are you coming on the show TSO 👀 we need your education on these matters. You’ve been with WBO for a while, we’d appreciate that insight on transitions like this 😎 you too th!nk
(Mar. 26, 2023  11:48 PM)StayCool Wrote: Hello everyone. I am not sure if this has been discussed or thought of already but I wanted to put 2 things out there. 

1. We have had issues and disagreements with rankings in the past. Such as the difficulty it may take for players to rank up in smaller regions and players with high BR losing a severe amount of points on one loss. We've talked about it on our podcast but also it is something discussed with almost all bladers I know. 

My request is that a full new ranking and multiple be set for Gen X. I am sure that this would have already been a given to do but in the event that TT may have similar mechanics or cross compatible parts with burst, I feel it may be best to move forward with the rankings within this system on its on. The community is strong now and without a severe gap in generation releases I think the idea and implementation of a brand new ranking will be quite fun for new and old players.

2. My second request is more important in my opinion. I would suggest that we adopt the "base rules" for the way Gen X should we be played strictly from TT. I say this because we have seen so many issues with burst rules that may have been avoided if we adopted the core way to play the game. We are experimenting with the back wall K.O. rule now which honestly may not have been something we should have implemented in the first place. The definition for spinning recently changed which was good but for several years it was quite confusing. The truth is that none of us know what the new generation will have or how it will be played. But I am very sure that TT is testing them currently. So instead of us waiting for the release, trying to adopt our burst or metal fight rules to fit the new generation and having several "experimental/test' events we can just adopt the core rules and move forward. If something does not mesh with our community in the WBO then we can address that in the future. I just feel we can get ahead of the game now with thinking about making these moves ahead of time. Having our various formats of P3C1, 3v3 and single bey is great but those base rules should be implemented. We still aren't even able to change rotation in our current systems.

This is not to bash anyone it is just something on my mind. Agree or disagree I think we should have an answer or focus by June so we can kick things off with a bang in July. Its a new Gen and a beautiful way for us to revamp our competitive status to get in line with the way the majority of the world plays.

I support both of these proposals. 

Proposal 1) is a given in my opinion.

Proposal 2) I think it is the most reasonable thing to do day 1.  If there are changes the WBO wants to make, we can do so once we have tried the new system as intended.  What is going to be our day 1 WBO rules anyway if we don’t adopt manufacturer’s rules?  Just port Burst rules over?  Besides, even if the  manufacturer’s rules are initially adopted, organizer can simply run experimental events to test what they think might suit the WBO better.  What could be more a reasonable starting point?  Personally, I feel like if the WBO is not ready to let people play Gen X competitively day one, people will just find another way to play it asap.
Thank you Shindog and that’s what I overall meant by getting the ball rolling. We can change things as we see fit but adopting the old into the new may complicate things. Honestly with the various changes we do it hurts us more I think because we go back and forth on what the community feels at the current moment. If this year we allow the back wall KO rule but next year we second guess ourselves then we run into the same issues we have so many times in the past with deliberating and making various adjustments that may or may not benefit the entirety of the community. We can’t really argue with the base rule set as the game is meant to be played especially with new releases.
I definitely feel we should still be considering our own context - we are our own organisation and there are a lot of things we are capable of that no other organisation involved is, and as TSO says we should take advantage of that and be proud of it, but a large part of my proposal intends to accommodate the desire for an option the sticks more closely to the wbba format - there are some issues with copying it 1:1 because it is designed for a different tournament structure, volume, and even a different player mindset. But I think it will accommodate what you're after here quite nicely.

As for the podcast, would love to come on once the proposal is up to discuss that Smile It's a larger project than I thought it would be, but so many great minds are helping me work out the bumps that I should have something in the coming days 😊