Theflightyellz's Quick Guide to Plastic Dyeing

can you use any dye?
(Sep. 30, 2010  10:21 AM)Omega Wrote: Get it to boiling point but DO NOT have it on a high heat or else it will overflow really fast (Happened to me, spilled everywhere, it even spills out with a lid on and it took forever to get the dye stains off the kitchen bench and stove).

I kinda did warn about this multiple times Serious
Simmer = Good
Boil = Bad
You don't want it spitting, overflowing, bubbling violently, seriously.
(Oct. 04, 2010  10:45 PM)metalfight Wrote: can you use any dye?
Rit is the best to use, although I've heard of people using Dylon.
Rit is the dye I'd recommend though.
simmer is when steam starts coming out right?
Simmering is when there is a little steam and some small bubbles, when it gets to this stage you'll want to turn the heat down just a little so it stays at this maintained heat and doesn't go above it.
Will regular dye work as a substitute for rit dye?
What color would you recommend if I wanted to get a color like th 145 and WD on Earth Eagle? (same color as the hasbro launcher grip that came with the red rubber)
I'd recommend Black, but only leave it in for 3 or so minutes.
(Oct. 12, 2010  8:54 PM)Cyan Blue Wrote: Will regular dye work as a substitute for rit dye?
If you look on the back of your dye packet, it'll say wether it's suitable or not suitable for acrylic and polyester. You need a dye that's compatible with artificial fabrics, but I still can't vouch for any dye other than Rit since I've never used any others before.
Has anyone tried the Dylon for Dyeing? I have seen a few in a little Shop here in Milan, but there isn't write nothing about Plastic, Polyester or other...
Ijust tried to dye my C145 blue and got a dark green, is there a way to get it to my desired color?
May someone post a video on youtube to show how to do this? thx
tried this with rit....... i ended up using sharpie instead

but i used the liquid dye would that be a problem?
(Dec. 18, 2010  9:13 PM)Longsword Wrote: Will this work with metal wheels?

No, it will not.
would club house food dye work if not what will
would this work well on ldrago
would this work on launchers
(Dec. 19, 2010  1:50 AM)Beyson Wrote: would this work well on ldrago

I think not thats what I failed at.......

but I dont care because I have the bey thats in my sig now!

so I just wasted a nice clear wheel.....
You probably didn't do it correctly, because it should work fine..
Very sorry to have revived this thread, but they look so pretty <3 I'll try this with a useless part before dyeing some other, more valuable parts. I will keep you updated once its finished. Also, is this a thin layer of paint, or does this make them illegal...
i believe that it is still legal if you do this, because it absorbs the dye.
Is It possible to use food dye?
(Jan. 09, 2011  7:31 PM)The Fire Wyrm Wrote: If you want to eat it, then yes.

Who would want to eat plastic? <---- Sorry for off-topicness.
In some earlier posts by flightlyellz,he said that this does not permeate the metal,so I guess It will work with metal wheels then?
(Jan. 16, 2011  10:38 AM)Whatzzer Wrote: In some earlier posts by flightlyellz,he said that this does not permeate the metal,so I guess It will work with metal wheels then?

I guess?