Q&A with the VAs of Zeo & Toby

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:01 AM)InfiniteLibra Wrote: Ha that's funny.
Q: Will you be the voice for Toby in Metal Fury/4D as well?

Indeedy do.

Also, uh, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread... heh.
The title should be probably changed to include you as well. That is if you would like to answer Questions.
It would be neat to have Gingka's VA on here. Could you guys try to get Robert Tinkler on here, please? If you can, I will make a seperate thread for him.
Q for Toby_Faust: Can I know how excited are YOU for this job?

Take your time.
Q for Toby_Faust

WOW!!! ALL THESE VA'S!!!!...

Was it hard to scream loud when you were changing forms?
(Aug. 22, 2011  2:06 AM)InfiniteLibra Wrote: The title should be probably changed to include you as well. That is if you would like to answer Questions.

I don't mind at all, as long as Zeo doesn't mind me hopping on.

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:24 AM)DranzerX13 Wrote: It would be neat to have Gingka's VA on here. Could you guys try to get Robert Tinkler on here, please? If you can, I will make a seperate thread for him.

Rob and I have the same agent. I can send him a message, not sure if he'll respond, but it's worth a shot.

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:29 AM)BeyCenter Wrote: Q for Toby_Faust: Can I know how excited are YOU for this job?

Take your time.

That an interesting question. As was previously mentioned by my colleague it was a wonderful experience. Unlike him, I'm not the biggest of anime fans. I only knew about Beyblade from my friend's kids.
I've been voice acting for a few years now, cartoons, commercials, all that jazz, and just like him this was my first real foray into Anime. I had done some little bits here and there, but nothing like this.

I loved every minute of this work and I am excited to be coming back next season too.

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:31 AM)BeyBladestation Wrote: Q for Toby_Faust

WOW!!! ALL THESE VA'S!!!!...

Was it hard to scream loud when you were changing forms?

I did some screaming, but nothing too substantial. Actually, the screaming and angry parts are my favourite.
WOW! I like created this thread at around 2am (PST) this morning, and I seriously didnt expect all these views and replies in just today. Nor did I expect another Beyblade Metal VA to show up. Hehehehe....oh boy.
Q. For Toby, How old are you?
(Aug. 21, 2011  8:56 PM)benthebeyboy Wrote: What is your favorite bey? I`m assuming Byxis?

I've never actually owned a Bey (Though my younger brother used to have a couple, years ago. I don't remember which), but yeah, has to be Flame Byxis. That giant spin track really gives it a unique look. I suppose I like Mad Gasher as well, because Tetsuya is easily my favourite Metal Fusion character. Brilliantly hilarious acting by Scott McCrab. Err... McCord. Great singer, too.

(Aug. 21, 2011  9:12 PM)Dan Wrote: Aww yeah this is so cool, my favorite character!
Toronto, eh? Could this be the Corus/YTV building very close to me? :V

Oh yeah; how did you get into VA'ing%Pr

Auditions were done there. But episode recordings and audio mixing are done somewhere else entirely.

About how I got into VAing, suuuper long story short: I was the very quiet, shy kid at school, but such a good listener, that I eventually got really good at imitating all my classmates and teachers. One day I learned every classic "Looney Toons" character was voiced by one guy, and I realized maybe I could do stuff like that too. I took drama classes at school, then voice acting seminars, and was eventually recommended to an agency.

(Aug. 21, 2011  9:26 PM)Trev Wrote: Q. Have you seen the character that has played Gingka?
OAN I've gotten called to an agency for an audition for a new CBS show. Very excited Wink

Rob Tinkler. I haven't met him, but I'd really like to. He's a veeeery talented, very funny guy who I remember best as the voice of Max the insane rabbit thing, from a 1997 cartoon called Sam & Max. It was his first voice role ever.

And that's great news about the audition! Wishing the best of luck to you!

(Aug. 21, 2011  9:45 PM)Manaphy12342 Wrote: Yeah, sorry, I kinda have two questions :L

Q. How did you react when you found out you go the role?

and

Q. How did you apply for the Voice Actor part? I think I'd make a great King xD

For your first question, see my response to BeyCenter in my last post. For your second question, the way it actually works is production companies contact various agencies, and the agents then tell their actors when and where to go for the tryouts, if they're invited.

(Aug. 21, 2011  10:46 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: My question would be how much of the older (Tyson's story) and newer (Gingka's story) Beyblade anime have you seen so far?

I knew about the original series with Tyson, because my brother watched some of it. I've never actually watched a full episode though. I'm not reeeeally much of an anime fan, heh, though I was very much into Dragon Ball Z at the time.

After I got cast as Zeo, I watched maybe 5 or so episodes of Metal Fusion, and plan on watching every episode of Metal Masters.

(Aug. 22, 2011  12:08 AM)H8R Wrote: Hi Mac wow I feel jealous but proud that the voice actor is from the WBO.
Q: Did you have a hard time with the recording???
how was the script compared to The MFB series (If you know what it was)

And yeah have you seen Ginga's V.A ???
I wonder how he looks (is he going through puberty?? LOL)

My first day was difficult. I'm very used to the whole format of dubbing now, though.

Metal Fight Beyblade? I wasn't involved with that season, and only watched a bit of it, so I wouldn't really know.

I saw Rob Tinkler (Gingka) speak at an actor's conference 2 years ago. He's an adult. Not verrrry old, but he's older than me. Heh, the magic of voice acting, it's not uncommon for a grown man to voice a squeaky voiced teen! Watch the verrry first episode, and you'll notice his Gingka voice was a fair bit deeper than it is today.

(Aug. 22, 2011  12:15 AM)Kai-V Wrote: A serious question : Are you well directed ?

Because frankly, with a few of the voices and voice acting we have gotten in the past Beyblade Metal Fusion episodes, it does not really seem like it, hah. Would you say that the success of your voice acting is really majorily due to your own motivation and skill, or was there someone who really "shaped you up" to do the part in a great way ?

That's a great question, and a very tough one. Partway through Metal Masters, there was a change in directors. Masamune's actor tells me the current director, Debra, has a very different style. I've never met the previous director.

I've really enjoyed working with Debra so far, but as someone who tries to avoid the need for direction, I always practice my script alongside the Japanese episodes on YouTube, make notes on script lines I'd like to tweak, and come into each studio session with a plan. She recognizes this, and tends to give me a lot of freedom with my performance. I'll need to hear the final mix of course, but I leave each session pretty happy with what I've been able to do.

(Aug. 22, 2011  12:21 AM)Kaiba Hiwatari Wrote: Do you plan to do what some Beyblade VAs like David Reale did and voice another character? If you do, would you want to voice a character that is like Zeo?

It's not up to me, but I would love to play more than one recurring character. If it does happen, it's likely the character would be very different from Zeo, so there's a lot less of a chance of them sounding similar.

(Aug. 22, 2011  1:48 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Hey Zeo Mac!
How much fun did you have working with Debra? Isn't she AWESOME!

"TOBYYYYYY!" (I've only had to scream this like 50 times between my last 3 episodes.)

Hey there, and waaaay awesome that you've found your way to this thread! I don't mind sharing it at all, might I add. I caaaan't recall if we've ever actually met before, but I'm the guy what has the short dreadlocks. Also, Debra is totally great. I'm really glad to finally be working with her on something.
(Aug. 22, 2011  3:04 AM)Tsunah Wrote: Q. For Toby, How old are you?

I'm a wee boy of 26.

(Aug. 22, 2011  3:36 AM)Zeo Mac Wrote: "TOBYYYYYY!" (I've only had to scream this like 50 times between my last 3 episodes.)

Hey there, and waaaay awesome that you've found your way to this thread! I don't mind sharing it at all, might I add. I caaaan't recall if we've ever actually met before, but I'm the guy what has the short dreadlocks. Also, Debra is totally great. I'm really glad to finally be working with her on something.

HAHAHAHA, I've heard you cry out for me… especially in that last episode.

Conversely… I've spent the last… I don't KNOW how many episodes having NO idea who you are."I AM NOT THIS TOBY! I AM FAUST!"

No, I don't think we've officially met, I think I've passed by you as you've walked out. They typically scheduled me to be the last VA of the day.

I'd like to jam with you sometime, PM or email or something like that? (I'll post my email if you'd prefer to stay private)
Just a quick question Zeo Mac, what brought you to the WBO? Just searching around and ended up here?
Q. for Faust and Zeo..
Who are your favorite characters in the anime? If they are Toby and Zeo itself then which other character do you like other than your own?

And another one(if I am allowed)
Q. for Faust: Do you own a beyblade?
(Aug. 22, 2011  3:36 AM)Zeo Mac Wrote: I suppose I like Mad Gasher as well, because Tetsuya is easily my favourite Metal Fusion character. Brilliantly hilarious acting by Scott McCrab. Err... McCord. Great singer, too.

Tetsuya defo won me over with his crabby antics as well as the stuff he could get away with using his crab verbal tic (bullcrab anyone?), Scott McCord did a good job hamming it up. It is kinda mind screwy as I was more used to hearing him in teen/heroic roles (Dan from Bakugan for example) I'll check out his singing sometime but I fear hearing him sing may just make my brain go kaput Tongue_out_wink (joking)

(Aug. 22, 2011  3:36 AM)Zeo Mac Wrote: I knew about the original series with Tyson, because my brother watched some of it. I've never actually watched a full episode though. I'm not reeeeally much of an anime fan, heh, though I was very much into Dragon Ball Z at the time.

After I got cast as Zeo, I watched maybe 5 or so episodes of Metal Fusion, and plan on watching every episode of Metal Masters.

Thanks for answering, I see and who wasn't into DBZ back in the day? I hope you enjoy watching Metal Masters!

Debra Toffan is the new director it seems, she has done loads of directing for animation. Looks like Nelvana are pulling out all the stops for the Metal Masters dub.

Woah Faust's VA is here too? Welcome to the WBO Faust I hope you enjoy it here!

My question for Faust is how did you prepare for playing a Beyblade villain?
Ok I have a Q for both of you.

On a scale of 1-10(or over) how Awesome is it to be a Voice actor in beyblade?

Ok now one for Toby/Faust.
How does it feel to wield the power of TWISTED TEMPO?

AND one for Zeo.
Do you think that Zeo would be your friend if he was a Real Person?

ALSO I HAVE A KIND OF RANDOM QUESTION. Do you have ANY Idea what other anime the Voice actor of Rock Zuraffa guy(Why do I suck with his name) has been in?
Man this is awesome! I have 1 question for each of you ^^

This one is for Zeo: I read that you didn't meet the VAs for Toby/Faust and Gingka, does that mean you don't get to talk or meet other VAs during the recording days?

Here's Toby/Faust's: Were you familiar with MFB: Explosion before you started voicing Toby/Faust? If so, would you prefer the name Basalt Horogium over Twisted Tempo in Beyblade: Metal Masters??

I just wanna say that I have really been enjoying the voice actors for Metal Masters especially the fact that the VA who voices Spectra/Keith in Bakugan voices the Chinese Team's Leader. So I just wanna say I have extremely high hopes for you guys.
Great! Any chance you guys can give us an inside on when these episodes will be airing? :3

And you guys never see each other? That kinda sucks, You'd wanna know who you're calling out to! "TOOBBYYY" *thinks: Who voices him again? >.<* Tongue_out
@Manaphy12342: Obviously they will not give info on when the episodes will air...
This is a question for both of you Smile

Q: Have you met Ryuga's and or Kyoya's VA?
(Aug. 22, 2011  5:14 AM)SAM10795 Wrote: Q. for Faust and Zeo..
Who are your favorite characters in the anime? If they are Toby and Zeo itself then which other character do you like other than your own?

And another one(if I am allowed)
Q. for Faust: Do you own a beyblade?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not the biggest fan of anime. If I had to choose another character, I'd probably pick Zeo. Mainly because of this undying friendship thing. He keeps trying and trying, and I like that.

Of course, you're allowed as many questions as you want.

Do you mean in real life or on the show? On the show I have Twisted Tempo, and then in season 6 I get another one (Tempo is AWESOMELY powerful, and my new one SUCKS).

In real life, no, though I wouldn't be opposed to having it just for the fun of it.

(Aug. 22, 2011  8:45 AM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: Debra Toffan is the new director it seems, she has done loads of directing for animation. Looks like Nelvana are pulling out all the stops for the Metal Masters dub.

Woah Faust's VA is here too? Welcome to the WBO Faust I hope you enjoy it here!

My question for Faust is how did you prepare for playing a Beyblade villain?

Just saying, Deb is an AMAZING director. Her work is epic and she's very understanding of what actors do.

Thanks for the welcome.

To address your question. Amusingly, I only read for Toby at the audition. I found out I was playing Faust after I got the gig. Since it's one character becoming evil it's a little different from playing straight villains. I have a naturally gravelly voice… not to mention a penchant for playing villains. I find playing these keener kids to be a little more difficult.
The preparation was fun, but it was more focussed on making the voice I had already created into a more determined / less emotional darker one.

To answer the "how" of it… well, I went into the studio thinking, "How can I go destroy my friends today!? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"
No… not really, more like, "What would it be like to be an absolute one minded individual who can not recognize boundaries or limitations?"

(Aug. 22, 2011  9:49 AM)TheShields Wrote: Ok I have a Q for both of you.

On a scale of 1-10(or over) how Awesome is it to be a Voice actor in beyblade?

Ok now one for Toby/Faust.
How does it feel to wield the power of TWISTED TEMPO?

AND one for Zeo.
Do you think that Zeo would be your friend if he was a Real Person?

ALSO I HAVE A KIND OF RANDOM QUESTION. Do you have ANY Idea what other anime the Voice actor of Rock Zuraffa guy(Why do I suck with his name) has been in?

1 being minimum and 10 being maximum… I'd give it a 3.
HUNDRED!
It was an awesome experience.

Wielding the power of TWISTED TEMPO was AWESOME! I loved voicing the parts when I get a little manic even when I'm hurt. SPIN! SPIN! SPIN TEMPO!

About the "Random question" unfortunately, since Zeo and I have yet to even actually meet… I have NO idea who played that character. We aren't in the studio together like in some prelays.

(Aug. 22, 2011  10:27 AM)Nuzumaki90 Wrote: Man this is awesome! I have 1 question for each of you ^^

This one is for Zeo: I read that you didn't meet the VAs for Toby/Faust and Gingka, does that mean you don't get to talk or meet other VAs during the recording days?

Here's Toby/Faust's: Were you familiar with MFB: Explosion before you started voicing Toby/Faust? If so, would you prefer the name Basalt Horogium over Twisted Tempo in Beyblade: Metal Masters??

I just wanna say that I have really been enjoying the voice actors for Metal Masters especially the fact that the VA who voices Spectra/Keith in Bakugan voices the Chinese Team's Leader. So I just wanna say I have extremely high hopes for you guys.

No, I'm not really familiar with it. Though, speaking phonetically, I like the alliteration and simplicity of Twisted Tempo… though Basalt Horogium sounds bad carp!

And I really hope we live up to your high hopes!

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:22 PM)Manaphy12342 Wrote: Great! Any chance you guys can give us an inside on when these episodes will be airing? :3

And you guys never see each other? That kinda sucks, You'd wanna know who you're calling out to! "TOOBBYYY" *thinks: Who voices him again? Pinching_eyes_2* Tongue_out

Episodes started airing in Australia in July.
Episodes started airing in US / Canada on August 20th.
(I just looked it up on Wikipedia)

And yea, I love when I get to work with my actor buddies on hand, I barely got to see anyone this time. I only saw Susan for a brief moment, and I haven't seen her in almost a year. (I have NO idea who she even plays on the show.)

(Aug. 22, 2011  2:39 PM)IfritDulux Wrote: This is a question for both of you Smile

As previously mentioned, I have NO idea who they would be. Get me names and I can tell you if I know them or not. We're not in the studio together so…. sorry.
Thanks for answering..I own Horologium(Tempo) and it is really great..I would have wanted the season 6th bey to be as good too...but ...well actually I wanted to know about the real beys...and you answered it as well..thanks.
(Aug. 22, 2011  4:41 PM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Just saying, Deb is an AMAZING director. Her work is epic and she's very understanding of what actors do.

Thanks for the welcome.

To address your question. Amusingly, I only read for Toby at the audition. I found out I was playing Faust after I got the gig. Since it's one character becoming evil it's a little different from playing straight villains. I have a naturally gravelly voice… not to mention a penchant for playing villains. I find playing these keener kids to be a little more difficult.
The preparation was fun, but it was more focussed on making the voice I had already created into a more determined / less emotional darker one.

To answer the "how" of it… well, I went into the studio thinking, "How can I go destroy my friends today!? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"
No… not really, more like, "What would it be like to be an absolute one minded individual who can not recognize boundaries or limitations?"

From what Mac has said about his experiences recording Zeo with Debra I believe you.

No probs and thanks for answering my question

So you didn't know straight away that you were audtioning for more than just Toby, it must have been a nice surprise for you to find you were voicing his alter ego. And you are more used to villains then keener kids, hmmm what villains may we have heard you as?

I have said this to Mac and I am gonna say it to you too Faust, you sound as if you have put alot into voicing Toby/Faust and got into his mindset. I am glad you had fun with the preparation.

(Aug. 22, 2011  4:41 PM)Toby_Faust Wrote:
(Aug. 22, 2011  2:39 PM)IfritDulux Wrote: This is a question for both of you Smile

As previously mentioned, I have NO idea who they would be. Get me names and I can tell you if I know them or not. We're not in the studio together so…. sorry.

Ryuga is voiced by Carman Melville and Kyoya is voiced by Pete Cugno.

May I ask a question for both of you guys to answer please?
What would happen if your Beyblade character met one of your other characters? (like for example Zeo Abyss meets Lab Rat)
Toby and zeo have you heard the voice of tsubasa if yes please tell me who and tell tsubasas va he's my favorite
(Aug. 22, 2011  8:45 PM)Eartheagle1997 Wrote: Toby and zeo have you heard the voice of tsubasa if yes please tell me who and tell tsubasas va he's my favorite

Tsubasa's English voice actor is David Reale, the same person who did Kai in the older series ...
(Aug. 22, 2011  9:22 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Aug. 22, 2011  8:45 PM)Eartheagle1997 Wrote: Toby and zeo have you heard the voice of tsubasa if yes please tell me who and tell tsubasas va he's my favorite

Tsubasa's English voice actor is David Reale, the same person who did Kai in the older series ...

Not everyone knows that silly!
Do you guys like Metal Fury (4D)