Q&A with the VAs of Zeo & Toby

(Aug. 22, 2011  4:38 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Just a quick question Zeo Mac, what brought you to the WBO? Just searching around and ended up here?

Let's just say, I'm very good at finding things... I made an account after I noticed discussion and speculation about the cast was going on here.

(Aug. 22, 2011  5:14 AM)SAM10795 Wrote: Q. for Faust and Zeo..
Who are your favorite characters in the anime? If they are Toby and Zeo itself then which other character do you like other than your own?

Tetsuya. Claws down.

When I got cast and started doing research on the show, I quickly discovered this and this. I was in awe at Scott McCord giving one of the greatest comedic performances I'd ever heard to an animation. He told me he thought he'd be playing someone like The Joker, and it turned into The Mask. So many absurd crab puns, and the silly voices like Austin Powers, Schwarzenegger and Elvis, where entirely his own idea. Really cool to see that kind of creativity from a actor.

(Aug. 22, 2011  9:49 AM)TheShields Wrote: On a scale of 1-10(or over) how Awesome is it to be a Voice actor in beyblade?

Do you think that Zeo would be your friend if he was a Real Person?

ALSO I HAVE A KIND OF RANDOM QUESTION. Do you have ANY Idea what other anime the Voice actor of Rock Zuraffa guy(Why do I suck with his name) has been in?

- If there's a number equivalent to SUPER MEGA AWESOME, I'll go with that.

- Zeo's a lot like me in certain ways. Very loyal and determined, doesn't put himself first, and tries to do the right thing. I don't see why we wouldn't get along.

- Dan Petronijevic who also voices Blader DJ, and has the same agent as me. I'm pretty sure he's in Bakugan too.

(Aug. 22, 2011  10:27 AM)Nuzumaki90 Wrote: This one is for Zeo: I read that you didn't meet the VAs for Toby/Faust and Gingka, does that mean you don't get to talk or meet other VAs during the recording days?

If arrive early enough, sometimes I meet and talk a little bit with other actors who are waiting to record before me. I've met Julian Konzern and Dr. Ziggurat once or twice. I see Masamune a lot because he often records right before, or after me.

(Aug. 22, 2011  7:48 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: May I ask a question for both of you guys to answer please?
What would happen if your Beyblade character met one of your other characters? (like for example Zeo Abyss meets Lab Rat)

Hmm! Interesting question. I actually don't think Zeo and Lab Rat would get along all that well. I have a sneaking suspicion that Zeo doesn't trust any kind of scientist.

(Aug. 22, 2011  11:09 PM)beyblader05 Wrote: Do you guys like Metal Fury (4D)

Because I don't know what's going on, I've only given it a quick look to see some of Zeo's scenes.
Have you started work on 4D yet? And yeah, I was dissapointed that Toby and Zeo get Screw Lyra and Screw Fox instead of Flame Byxis and Twisted Tempo/Basalt Horogium.
He previously stated he was starting Metal Fury (4D) in October.
Ok, I have a question of both ZeoMac, and the voice of Faust/Toby.

Throughout your voice acting careers, have any of you guys ever meet two voice actors by the names on Wendee Lee, or Crispin Freeman? I'm guessing probably not, since they do Anime voices, but still. Joyful_2

Oh, and have any of you guys ever done voice work for video games?
One more question for either of you do you like first bey Basalt or Byxis more then in 4d Lyra or Fox?
(Aug. 22, 2011  11:09 PM)Zeo Mac Wrote:
(Aug. 22, 2011  9:49 AM)TheShields Wrote: On a scale of 1-10(or over) how Awesome is it to be a Voice actor in beyblade?

Do you think that Zeo would be your friend if he was a Real Person?

ALSO I HAVE A KIND OF RANDOM QUESTION. Do you have ANY Idea what other anime the Voice actor of Rock Zuraffa guy(Why do I suck with his name) has been in?

- If there's a number equivalent to SUPER MEGA AWESOME, I'll go with that.

- Zeo's a lot like me in certain ways. Very loyal and determined, doesn't put himself first, and tries to do the right thing. I don't see why we wouldn't get along.

- Dan Petronijevic who also voices Blader DJ, and has the same agent as me. I'm pretty sure he's in Bakugan too.

I knew he was in Bakugan!
Alright I am sorry for the Mass of Questions from me but.

For Faust: Do you like the Name Faust?
For Zeo: Do you Like the name Zeo?
for Both: if you could Have picked a Different Characer than Faust or Zeo.
EDIT: The number for SUPER MEGA AWESOME IS 9 followed by a Million 9's.
On a Side note. If only we had the Voice of gingka on the WBO I would have asked if He/She likes TRIPLE BEEF BURGERS!!!
Q. Did you think about being VA's or even cartoon voice-over's when you were a kid in highschool? Or did you randomly say you wanted to do this.?
(Aug. 22, 2011  7:48 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: So you didn't know straight away that you were audtioning for more than just Toby, it must have been a nice surprise for you to find you were voicing his alter ego. And you are more used to villains then keener kids, hmmm what villains may we have heard you as?

I have said this to Mac and I am gonna say it to you too Faust, you sound as if you have put alot into voicing Toby/Faust and got into his mindset. I am glad you had fun with the preparation.

(Aug. 22, 2011  4:41 PM)Toby_Faust Wrote:
(Aug. 22, 2011  2:39 PM)IfritDulux Wrote: This is a question for both of you Smile

Q: Have you met Ryuga's and or Kyoya's VA?

As previously mentioned, I have NO idea who they would be. Get me names and I can tell you if I know them or not. We're not in the studio together so…. sorry.

Ryuga is voiced by Carman Melville and Kyoya is voiced by Pete Cugno.

May I ask a question for both of you guys to answer please?
What would happen if your Beyblade character met one of your other characters? (like for example Zeo Abyss meets Lab Rat)
Well, I probably SHOULD have known I was playing Faust too… but yeah… maybe I forgot… I can't remember.
As for the villains I've played, unfortunately most of the cartoons I've voiced were pilots that never went anywhere. More will be coming though, I promise you that!

Thank you very much for the compliment on my preparation, I appreciate it a lot!

I don't know either of those two, but I love meeting other voice actors.

If Faust met one of my other characters? Hmm… I think the best one would be Deadpan. Faust at his most "evil" would be a fun match for Deadpan… though I'm pretty sure Deadpan would skin him alive. (No, you wouldn't know the character, it never went to air, and I'm pretty sure it's turning into a live action show now instead).

(Aug. 22, 2011  11:09 PM)beyblader05 Wrote: Do you guys like Metal Fury (4D)

Because I don't know what's going on, I've only given it a quick look to see some of Zeo's scenes.

I'm going to go with Mac's answer on this one. In fact, since the only time I've seen Toby in the new season is WITH Zeo… I can actually agree 100%.

(Aug. 22, 2011  11:35 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote: Ok, I have a question of both ZeoMac, and the voice of Faust/Toby.

Throughout your voice acting careers, have any of you guys ever meet two voice actors by the names on Wendee Lee, or Crispin Freeman? I'm guessing probably not, since they do Anime voices, but still. Joyful_2

I have met both of them, though not long or well enough for either of them to remember me.
Also, they're both from the states. I've only met a handful of those guys.

Amusingly, I was brought onto a project to write with a "Wendy Lee" and I was VERY excited… until I realized the spelling was different.

No work for video games yet, though my friends tell me it's tons of fun.

(Aug. 22, 2011  11:48 PM)beyblader05 Wrote: One more question for either of you do you like first bey Basalt or Byxis more then in 4d Lyra or Fox?

Well, as I stated, from what I can see so far… my new bey SUCKS by comparison… I mean… Tempo BLEW STUFF UP! And Screw Lyra… just… no.
Though, hopefully it gets better… I've only seen clips of one or two episodes from 4D.

(Aug. 23, 2011  2:01 AM)TheShields Wrote: Alright I am sorry for the Mass of Questions from me but.

For Faust: Do you like the Name Faust?
For Zeo: Do you Like the name Zeo?
EDIT: The number for SUPER MEGA AWESOME IS 9 followed by a Million 9's.
On a Side note. If only we had the Voice of gingka on the WBO I would have asked if He/She likes TRIPLE BEEF BURGERS!!!

Hey, I DIG the questions! Keep 'em coming!
I LOVE the name Faust. I think it's perfect. The whole "making a deal with the devil" for unlimited power and stuff. I mean… I know I'm sick and dying and kind of not in control, but I think it matches pretty nicely.
Also, I know that it's of Germanic descent, but I LOVE Marlowe's "Tragical History of Doctor Faustus" version. Playing Faust just let me feel a connection to it.

I'm very happy to have played Toby/Faust, I don't think I would have picked another character.

(Aug. 23, 2011  4:09 AM)Tahme Wrote: Q. Did you think about being VA's or even cartoon voice-over's when you were a kid in highschool? Or did you randomly say you wanted to do this.?

I was introduced to voice acting when I was in high school by Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond. I had never even considered it before that.
I'll end the story there.
Question for both Zeo and Toby:
If you could've chosen to be a VA in any other anime, which would it be?
(Aug. 23, 2011  6:26 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Hmm! Interesting question. I actually don't think Zeo and Lab Rat would get along all that well. I have a sneaking suspicion that Zeo doesn't trust any kind of scientist.

If Faust met one of my other characters? Hmm… I think the best one would be Deadpan. Faust at his most "evil" would be a fun match for Deadpan… though I'm pretty sure Deadpan would skin him alive. (No, you wouldn't know the character, it never went to air, and I'm pretty sure it's turning into a live action show now instead).

Thanks for answering guys! Joyful_2

mac: Really? I'd wager this Dr. Ziggurat has something to do with Zeo's distrust in scientists but as River Song says "spoilers..." I am not sure Lab Rat would like someone he doesn't know just popping out of nowhere in his lab either.

Faust: This Deadpan sounds pretty fierce if he could skin Faust at his most "evil" alive. Hmm sounds like he came from some sort of comic adaption parody and from his name I imagine he is rather sarcastic.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:26 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Well, I probably SHOULD have known I was playing Faust too… but yeah… maybe I forgot… I can't remember.

Reminds me of what Susan Roman (who also has done Beyblade voices) said in her interview with Moon Chase about auditions.

Moon Chase Wrote:MC: Now it's time to talk Sailor Moon! This year marks the 15th anniversary of the show – what was the casting call and audition like for you back then?

SR: It was a typical casting call, with about eight million actors in the room waiting to go in. I have this theory about auditions: you go in, you do your best, and then you go home and FORGET about it. If you keep thinking about whether or not you got the part or whether or not you did the right read, you'll make yourself crazy. I seriously don't remember 99% of my auditions – which is probably why I'm still vaguely sane.

If anyone is interested you can find the full interview here and here.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:26 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: As for the villains I've played, unfortunately most of the cartoons I've voiced were pilots that never went anywhere. More will be coming though, I promise you that!

Awwwww that is a real shame and it makes me think how much gets scrapped, but it'd be cool to hear you in other stuff soon.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:26 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Thank you very much for the compliment on my preparation, I appreciate it a lot!

You are welcome and thanks for answering my question on your villains.

Someone on the Beyblade wiki has put a name for Toby's VA on Toby's bio http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Toby

Hmm I think you and Mac should meet up sometime and exchange notes on voice acting.
a question for faust_toby
what was the best episode u actually did and did they change the name of spiral dimension?
also question for you guys
Would you think of getting your respective characters beyblades just for fun?
if so,hasbro or takaratomy version?

It is such and honor to be able to talk to someone voicing my 2 out of 5 favourite characters!
Hope that i am not bothering you guys
First off, it is an honor to have you both here.

I understand that alot of times VAs dont get to see the final product of an episode they recorded for, but if either of you have seen any episodes at all, even in parts, how do you think the episodes are as a whole? In other words, how do you think you did, how good/bad did other voice actors do, if there were things you would like to change, all in that episode?
also a question for zeos va ........
Did you have any trouble saying the name of any beyblades at all before ?
hope i am not bothering you guys...
Thanks for answering, Zeo!
Now a question for Toby_Faust-
What do you think about the plot? How does it feel to play two characters in one? As we all know, Toby and Faust have completely different natures!
@Zeo_Mac & Toby_Faust, i must say when i found out the english voices of Zeo & Toby/Faust were members of here i was quite amazed and excited tell me how long have you both been in voice acting?
(Aug. 22, 2011  11:35 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote: Throughout your voice acting careers, have any of you guys ever meet two voice actors by the names on Wendee Lee, or Crispin Freeman? I'm guessing probably not, since they do Anime voices, but still. Joyful_2

They are L.A. actors who I imagine only go to the Toronto area for occasional conventions. I haven't met them, but Crispin has started moving into cartoon roles, so I'm starting to get more familiar with his work. Two of my friends are students of his.

I haven't voiced a video game before, though there's an upcoming Xbox Live Arcade game I'm very heavily involved with (but not as an actor). I'll talk about it more when it's closer to completion.

(Aug. 22, 2011  11:48 PM)beyblader05 Wrote: One more question for either of you do you like first bey Basalt or Byxis more then in 4d Lyra or Fox?

"BYXIS!!!" was really fun to scream. I'm going to miss that. Though, I think Zeo getting a Fox Bey is kinda fitting, as his hair closely resembles a fox's tail.

(Aug. 23, 2011  2:01 AM)TheShields Wrote: For Zeo: Do you Like the name Zeo?

There's something very flashy and futuristic about the name "Zeo", and the last name "Abyss" is very mysterious and somewhat threatening. I dig it. I did try out for Dr. Ziggurat and the USA Blader DJ, and while they would've been fun, there's no other character I'd rather be playing than Zeo. Just feels like a perfect fit.

(Aug. 23, 2011  4:09 AM)Tahme Wrote: Q. Did you think about being VA's or even cartoon voice-over's when you were a kid in highschool? Or did you randomly say you wanted to do this.?

For a little more background on this, see a question I answered from Dan, on page 2. I was only 15 and in grade 9 when I started to become known as "the voice guy" at school. I soon got really inspired by the amazing work of Mel Blanc (Looney Tunes), Scott McNeil (Transformers: Beast Wars) and Rick Jones (Samurai Pizza Cats), and decided start pursuing voiceover as a career. I booked my first role as Lab Rat 2 years later.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:49 AM)Blitz Unicorno Wrote: Question for both Zeo and Toby:

Again, I watch very little anime, but this is actually an easy one for me.

If I were in New York, I wouldn't mind being in Pokemon. A couple of my friends have already been on the show, and it's one I grew up with. Meowth still remains one of my favorite characters and performances in all of animation.

(Aug. 23, 2011  9:24 AM)Horogium Wrote: also question for you guys

Oh, I intend to! Not to battle with. Just as kinda a neat memento I can look back at several years from now. Though, I've looked at some online, and unless I'm mistaken, Hasbro doesn't seem to put a picture of the anime character on their boxes anymore. This is unacceptable.

(Aug. 23, 2011  11:53 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: I understand that alot of times VAs dont get to see the final product of an episode they recorded for, but if either of you have seen any episodes at all, even in parts, how do you think the episodes are as a whole? In other words, how do you think you did, how good/bad did other voice actors do, if there were things you would like to change, all in that episode?

Interesting question, but one I can't reeeeally answer. I've heard very, very, very few of the other actors' recordings from the episodes I've been in. Though, even if I had, these are my colleagues, and I really wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. I'll say that the little I've heard has mainly been from Zeo's scenes with Dr. Ziggurat, and I really, really like them.

(Aug. 23, 2011  2:34 PM)Horogium Wrote: also a question for zeos va ........
Did you have any trouble saying the name of any beyblades at all before ?
hope i am not bothering you guys...

No worries. You're not bothering me in the slightest.

I think I've only had to say my own Bey's name. I have be careful not to speak too closely into the microphone, as it's easy for air to popping sound on words that start with the letter "b" or "p". Things can also get tricky whenever I have to put an "s" at the end, and say "Byxis's".

(Aug. 23, 2011  3:28 PM)ROCK KID 125 Wrote: zeo what is your favortie beyblade combo

Sorry, I don't really know enough to be able to answer that.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:35 PM)metal fight Wrote: @Zeo_Mac & Toby_Faust, i must say when i found out the english voices of Zeo & Toby/Faust were members of here i was quite amazed and excited tell me how long have you both been in voice acting?

In training since 2004. Working professionally since 2006.
Zeo Mac:
How will Zeo pronounce Byxis in the dub?
No differently than in Japanese.
I haven't heard the Japanese one, and thanks.
(Aug. 23, 2011  6:49 AM)Blitz Unicorno Wrote: Question for both Zeo and Toby:

Hmm, that's a tough question. I'm not the biggest fan of Anime… I've seen VERY few series, but since I'm a hyper type person in life I'd love to do someone subdued. Maybe L from Deathnote. That would be a fun challenge for me.

(Aug. 23, 2011  9:24 AM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: Faust: This Deadpan sounds pretty fierce if he could skin Faust at his most "evil" alive. Hmm sounds like he came from some sort of comic adaption parody and from his name I imagine he is rather sarcastic.

Reminds me of what Susan Roman (who also has done Beyblade voices) said in her interview with Moon Chase about auditions.

Moon Chase Wrote:MC: Now it's time to talk Sailor Moon! This year marks the 15th anniversary of the show – what was the casting call and audition like for you back then?

SR: It was a typical casting call, with about eight million actors in the room waiting to go in. I have this theory about auditions: you go in, you do your best, and then you go home and FORGET about it. If you keep thinking about whether or not you got the part or whether or not you did the right read, you'll make yourself crazy. I seriously don't remember 99% of my auditions – which is probably why I'm still vaguely sane.

Awwwww that is a real shame and it makes me think how much gets scrapped, but it'd be cool to hear you in other stuff soon.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:26 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Thank you very much for the compliment on my preparation, I appreciate it a lot!

You are welcome and thanks for answering my question on your villains.

Someone on the Beyblade wiki has put a name for Toby's VA on Toby's bio http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Toby

Hmm I think you and Mac should meet up sometime and exchange notes on voice acting.

Oh you're right on the money regarding Deadpan.

Susan pretty much nails it on the head… and I do love Susan, I saw her briefly when I was leaving one of the sessions.

Tons of stuff gets scrapped, but there are always other projects.

Hmm, I wonder who edited that page…

Mac and I have just started a private dialogue. I like him a lot, lots of fun. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure we'll do that at some point or another.

(Aug. 23, 2011  9:24 AM)Horogium Wrote: a question for faust_toby
what was the best episode u actually did and did they change the name of spiral dimension?
also question for you guys

It is such and honor to be able to talk to someone voicing my 2 out of 5 favourite characters!
Hope that i am not bothering you guys

Well, my favourite episode was the last of the season. Lots of screaming and angry evil stuff… I like that.

No, we still called it SPIRAL DIMENSION! Which I've just gotta say… is a SUPER AWESOME move… From what I gather he makes a black hole, uh… that ROCKS.

Yes, I'd like to get my bey, just to put on my shelf, and like Mac said, look at it years down the road.
No idea what version… is there a difference?

Glad to be talking to you, and you're not bothering me at all.

(Aug. 23, 2011  11:53 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: First off, it is an honor to have you both here.

I understand that alot of times VAs dont get to see the final product of an episode they recorded for, but if either of you have seen any episodes at all, even in parts, how do you think the episodes are as a whole? In other words, how do you think you did, how good/bad did other voice actors do, if there were things you would like to change, all in that episode?

I only hear clips when someone records before I do. I haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully everything is great. I've seen bad dubbing in the past, but with Debra at the helm I'm sure it's going to be good.

(Aug. 23, 2011  4:34 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: Thanks for answering, Zeo!
Now a question for Toby_Faust-
What do you think about the plot? How does it feel to play two characters in one? As we all know, Toby and Faust have completely different natures!

I like the plot... well, of the episodes I got to read. It felt great playing two characters. I especially liked the fact that the first time I recorded for Faust I had recorded for Toby minutes earlier. It's a big change in character and I had a blast recording both of them.

(Aug. 23, 2011  6:35 PM)metal fight Wrote: @Zeo_Mac & Toby_Faust, i must say when i found out the english voices of Zeo & Toby/Faust were members of here i was quite amazed and excited tell me how long have you both been in voice acting?

I learned that it was an actual job in either 2002 or 2003. At the behest of Scott McNeil I began pursuing it in 2004/2005. Got my first pro gig in 2006.
Thank you Zeo for taking the time to answer my question. I look foward to hearing you and "Toby" in the dub.
(Aug. 24, 2011  12:02 AM)CrystalGrabber Wrote: I haven't heard the Japanese one, and thanks.

Basically then, it sounds like "Bix Hiss".

(Aug. 24, 2011  12:18 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: I learned that it was an actual job in either 2002 or 2003. At the behest of Scott McNeil I began pursuing it in 2004/2005. Got my first pro gig in 2006.

Wow. Except for actually meeting Scott, everything with me is the exact same. Starting to scare me now.

(Aug. 24, 2011  12:19 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: Thank you Zeo for taking the time to answer my question. I look foward to hearing you and "Toby" in the dub.

My pleasure! Hope you enjoy our episodes!
[Huge quote removed.]
Thank you very much for answering, i appreaciate it guys.Im really look forward to hearing your voices as Toby/Faust and Zeo ^^
I have a question for Toby and zeo how do u feel about being a voice actors about an anime that more 50000 people love? When do feel like you are tired of working as the character u are? Who dubbed the voice of Damian and yuu