General Health Thread

(Nov. 13, 2011  3:25 PM)Benjohadi Wrote: Hey guys..
i have a problem here..well..its not about me..about my cousin..this is no joke..not something to laugh of course..i really concern and sympathy on him..he is about 8 years..yeah..just 8..but he grow mustache and even grow hair on pubic area...in asian..it is not normal..like..it too early for puberty..Asian usually get puberty (male) around 11-12 years old..
is it some kind of hormone disease or symptom?i tried to search on internet..but i dont know the keywords or term for it..
thanks in advance...

It is actually much more common in those of Asian nationalities than Caucasian, African, European, etc. for the most part(though full blooded Irish do run about with it in high numbers, too). Likely due to the higher population, but, still.

It's basically a hightened testosterone level, which has triggered early onset of puberty, from the sound of it. An Endocrinologist can handle it for him, if there are any negative symptoms. If there aren't, and it's just body hair and the other normal aspects of puberty, there's really no reason to act on it unless further premature bodily growth occurs, or if he starts having wild mood swings or behaving agressively.

There's technically a chance - though minute in ALL circumstances - that he could be an XYY chromosome child, which does often cause early puberty and large amounts of testosterone, but again, you need to have him see a doctor if it's presenting any strange symptoms.

Keep in mind that early puberty, while uncommon, isn't actually that big of a deal, as I stated. I went through puberty at 9, for example, and it pretty much went fine. Everyone is different.
(Nov. 13, 2011  6:12 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Nov. 13, 2011  3:25 PM)Benjohadi Wrote: Hey guys..
i have a problem here..well..its not about me..about my cousin..this is no joke..not something to laugh of course..i really concern and sympathy on him..he is about 8 years..yeah..just 8..but he grow mustache and even grow hair on pubic area...in asian..it is not normal..like..it too early for puberty..Asian usually get puberty (male) around 11-12 years old..
is it some kind of hormone disease or symptom?i tried to search on internet..but i dont know the keywords or term for it..
thanks in advance...

It is actually much more common in those of Asian nationalities than Caucasian, African, European, etc. for the most part(though full blooded Irish do run about with it in high numbers, too). Likely due to the higher population, but, still.

It's basically a hightened testosterone level, which has triggered early onset of puberty, from the sound of it. An Endocrinologist can handle it for him, if there are any negative symptoms. If there aren't, and it's just body hair and the other normal aspects of puberty, there's really no reason to act on it unless further premature bodily growth occurs, or if he starts having wild mood swings or behaving agressively.

There's technically a chance - though minute in ALL circumstances - that he could be an XYY chromosome child, which does often cause early puberty and large amounts of testosterone, but again, you need to have him see a doctor if it's presenting any strange symptoms.

Keep in mind that early puberty, while uncommon, isn't actually that big of a deal, as I stated. I went through puberty at 9, for example, and it pretty much went fine. Everyone is different.
well..my family are a bit worry because he is not acting like a child anymore..
myuncle told us that he act morematured..i can tdescribe well..because i havent meet him since he is in theother region..but i only can tell..he is much more mature than other kids on his age..
He would be, if he's going through puberty early. Unless you are aware of any actual negative physical consequences, there's no problem here and it's perfectly normal. A bit young, but not THAT young.

I went to school with a five year old that started puberty; he had to have a bit of hormone therapy. 8 or 9 aren't young enough to warrant that, though.
So..you are sure that its not a big deal?nothing to worry about him?
Basically. If there's nothing presenting other than maturing and body hair, there's really no cause for concern; like I said, I myself went into puberty only a year older than him.
I guess I can post this here....

Thursday after school I had a seizure. I went to the hospital and they said what I experienced was a "Complex Partial Seizure". (If you don't know what that is, Google it)

It was a freak seizure and the doctors don't even know why it happened.

And while I was at the hospital, I found out that I apparently have Raynold's Phenomenon (If you don't know what that is, Google it). My left hand started turning all purplish because it was cold in the room, and now I have to take precautions when I'm out in the cold. (Meaning I'll have to wear gloves when I go to work).

But while I was there, they took a blood sample, checked my pulse, gave me a cat scan, checked my blood sugar, and took a urine sample. Apparently I'm perfectly healthy, I just had a freak seizure. (I'm ok though, so don't worry)

Oh, but I think it might be my fault that I have Raynold's Phenamenon. One of the causes is playing Piano a lot, and typing a lot. Guess what I do a lot... (Play Piano and type) XD
Raynaud's Phenomenon is not something I would classify under "perfectly healthy", to be entirely honest. It can be very dangerous.

Seizures are difficult to diagnose without a history or a larger sample size for events. Thousands of things can cause Complex Partials, and sometimes they just occur out of the blue.

I don't suppose you need to be told that if it occurs again, you will need to go immediately to the Emergency Room, and not stop to first post about it on the WBO.
Lol, I went straight to the emergency room last time. It was weird though.

How is Raynalds Phenomenon serious? All they said was that I have to start wearing gloves.
You were seen by some people who were clearly not properly trained, then. Raynaud's can cause infections, blood clots, etc. if it's not properly managed.

I am utterly horrified they did not tell you these things.
They gave me some papers that said stuff like that. But they said if I wear gloves, I'll be fine. It's only in my left hand.
Stress can set it off, too, but yes, technically wearing gloves will keep it at bay for the most part.

Still, they should've been more up front about the risks.
Here's another thing that nobody's going to read but me:
http://www.beachbody.com/product/p90x-on...xnl_105.do#
And I'm still in high school, haha.
Once I had a 26 BMI now I'm at 18
I do not feel the least bit bad that I have never actually clicked any links you post.

I am eating hotpockets right now with a Wild Cherry Pepsi.
As Tony Horton always says, watching American Idol makes you an idle American.

I constantly think of keeping a <60 / <30 minute limit per day for electronics, including WBO.
Wow! I had such a nice workout today! Here's one of the exercises that I did.

M100s:
Okay, so for this exercise, you do 3 sets of 10 burpees, jumping squats, and mountain climbers. So to do a burpee, you jump, and work yourself into a push up position and repeat. Now, for jumping squats, you just simply squat and jump! But, when you squat, go all the way down so that your butt touches your heels. Finally, a mountain climber is when you're in a push up position and basically shift your legs so that you're in a runners position. However, doing 4 of those will equal 1 rep, so you actually have to do 40!
If you would like to take a challenge, then try doing this without any breaks, so no water, no sitting down, etc.
Sounds like you had fun! I'd not personally go down to my heels on squats, especially to protect my knees, but also because there's no benefit of going that low. If you get your butt around halfway down your shin, you're good.

No water isn't really a good thing, haha.

But the important thing is to enjoy it, which is what you did! How long did it take you to complete it?

------
I also constantly think about becoming vegan. As of now, don't eat much animal products, but I just found out about vegan, natural supplements:
http://vegasport.com/products
Those supplements were the exact ones that I wasn't sure if they came in vegan, haha. I'd obviously take multivitamins, omega 3's, stuff like that that I would of course use to address the absence of meat and dairy.
Does anyone know if creatine is a vegan supplement? The only reason I ask, is because if I'm missing out on meat (which is where creatine is naturally occurring), then I'd need to supplement for that. I got that idea from Tony Horton, but he calls himself a "Flexitarian", so I'm not sure.

Supplements been the only uncertainty about becoming vegan. I want to do it safely, not like an idiot. But, I prefer to play it safe with supplements, and I only have taken Whey Protein. I've stopped with they Whey to keep more plant based. I won't be doing any of this vegan and supplement stuff until I'm 20, just because I don't want to take supplements until I'm 20 and I will need/want/prefer to supplement when I become vegan. It's kinda funny how I know what I want to do with my nutrition when I'm 20 though, haha.
So I'm currently facing this problem.Well,after my vacation to London recently,it changed my sleep time.My sleep time in London is according to the timezone,but when I came back to Malaysia,I became an owl.Look what time I'm posting this.Its 4 o'clock in the morning.I tried everyway to make me sleep,I make myself extremely tired,but exercising,I hear to music when I'm at bed,I tried every suitable ways that used to work for me for sleeping.But no joke,it didn't work.Basically,I'm sleeping in the morning,not night.Help?
You have to push yourself to stay awake as long as possible each day in order to get your sleep schedule back to normal; if you can swing it, staying up from whenever you wake up to the next day's night is technically the fastest way to do it, though it would require staying awake for someodd 32 hours. I'd just stick with staying up a few hours longer every day until it's back to normal if you can't handle doing it all at once.

Rotating a sleep schedule back into normalcy is a big hassle, but I do it several times a month.
(Dec. 03, 2011  10:52 PM)Hazel Wrote: You have to push yourself to stay awake as long as possible each day in order to get your sleep schedule back to normal; if you can swing it, staying up from whenever you wake up to the next day's night is technically the fastest way to do it, though it would require staying awake for someodd 32 hours. I'd just stick with staying up a few hours longer every day until it's back to normal if you can't handle doing it all at once.

Rotating a sleep schedule back into normalcy is a big hassle, but I do it several times a month.

This.

Recently my aunt made my uncle adjust from Guam's timezone to the EST (GMT - 5 i believe?) timezone by making him do things to pass the time until it was the proper time to sleep.

I heard a teacher say that to keep yourself awake, you should try to expose yourself to as much light as possible. Do this until your regular sleeping time.
(Dec. 02, 2011  1:48 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: No water isn't really a good thing, haha.

But the important thing is to enjoy it, which is what you did! How long did it take you to complete it?

It took me like 15mins IIRC, and the no water thing is like a challenge, which is totally up to you.
Yeah, those kinds of challenges land people in the hospital.

It's not "like a challenge", it's "like being really irresponsible and stupid".
hahaha, that's the biggest exaggeration ever Hazel.

It was 15 minutes, haha, that's like, nothing. Not really a big deal. Obviously not the best thing, but it's not actually harmful at all considering the moves aren't all that intense and it was only 15 minutes.

At least he's not eating "Hotpockets" and Wild Cherry Pepsi, now that'd land people in the hospital. hahaha. Wink