iTouch as a gaming platform.

Poll: Is the iTouch a valid gaming platform?

Yes
42.86%
No
57.14%
Total: 100% 21 vote(s)
(Jun. 09, 2009  12:28 AM)Giga Wrote: A d the fact jobs keeps saying that he wants tonsee it grow as a games machine.

Yes, they want it to grow as a gaming machine ... not that it primarily is one.
Yeah, as I've already said I'm a huge proponent of iPhone/iTouch as a gaming platform because I think it has huge potential to change the way games are distributed and developed, as well as thought about among non-gamers, but it still has a long way to go before it can be considered in the same league game-wise as the DS and PSP.

But really, the iPhone/iTouch are going after a completely different market -- those who don't play games in the first place, so they have a lot more people to sell to than the PSP. The DS is selling to that same audience, but its capabilities are rooted in the traditional hardcore sort of gaming mindset.

The gaming capabilities the iPhone/iTouch have really are secondary features. People buy the iPod Touch because it's a killer audio/video player. The games it can play and everything else are just icing on the cake, or extra features that help sell the device but aren't the primary focus.
I believe the iPod Touch is a valid gaming platform, however I do not feel it competes directly with the DS or PSP. I probably should, however, seeing as they all primarily run applications, play games, browse the internet, play music, and, with the exception of the DS, play video.

The one factor that keeps the iPod Touch out of sight as far as gaming consoles go is that all the games created for DS and PSP are licensed by Nintendo or Sony before packaged and distributed. With the iPod Touch, it seems to me as if (and this is where I'm most likely to get bashed) the games are created by pretty much anyone, uploaded to Apples website, and available for download by anyone and everyone.

Nintendo and Sony filter what is and isn't sold under their name, while Apple is very open about the experience. I would have to say this is a good thing as well as a bad thing. Good because it leaves the platform very open, but bad because a lot of wasteful and terrible apps become available and "junk" up the list of available software.

I voted yes because I love the games available, but I (in a very n00bish manner) must look back retrospectively and wish I had clicked the "no" button.

PS: Am I the only one who's bothered by people calling the iPod Touch an "iTouch?" I mean, I understand the name is shorter, but come on, people! I'm sorry, but that's just a pet peeve. Now that it's out of my system it shall be mentioned no more...
(Jun. 09, 2009  5:26 AM)A.J. Wrote: PS: Am I the only one who's bothered by people calling the iPod Touch an "iTouch?" I mean, I understand the name is shorter, but come on, people! I'm sorry, but that's just a pet peeve. Now that it's out of my system it shall be mentioned no more...

take a chill pill bro
(Jun. 09, 2009  6:00 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: take a chill pill bro

I actually laughed.

But again, it's out of my system. I just had to vent there real quick. Back on topic now...
I blame the iPod Touch, and iPhone as well as piracy for the creation of the PSP Go.
and you might get one, no Tongue_out_wink
(Jun. 09, 2009  10:20 AM)To Wrote: I blame the iPod Touch, and iPhone as well as piracy for the creation of the PSP Go.

The iPod Touch and the iPhone are what the PSP should have been in the first place. I'm calling it now, the PSP Go is going to be a bomb and most likely will not help Sony to sell outside of the niche market of 10-14 year old boys that they've painted themselves into with the PSP.

The PSP Go is just Sony trying to play catch up in selling to a mass market that they have clearly lost to the iPhone and the DS.
(Jun. 09, 2009  4:38 PM)Roan Wrote: The iPod Touch and the iPhone are what the PSP should have been in the first place.

man, you really can't expect this.
the first psp was launched in 2005. Yeah the ds had a touch screen, but for sony to create a device like the Iphone in 2005 or even 2006 would have been obsencenly/prohibitively expensive [*cough ps3*].

And while do like the Sony things I own, I don't think sony could have concieved a thing like the Iphone before apple... i just don't think they always see the big picture

Or maybe you mean the apps? that would have been coool
(Jun. 09, 2009  4:38 PM)Roan Wrote: The iPod Touch and the iPhone are what the PSP should have been in the first place. I'm calling it now, the PSP Go is going to be a bomb and most likely will not help Sony to sell outside of the niche market of 10-14 year old boys that they've painted themselves into with the PSP.

The PSP Go is just Sony trying to play catch up in selling to a mass market that they have clearly lost to the iPhone and the DS.

The PSP is the Xbox. Was hyped to be the one to dominate. But got dominated. But broke a big enough dent into the market. Selling 50 Million handhelds is something nothing that wasn't a Nintendo branded device has ever done.

I expect PSP Go to sell 5 million in its first year (ie. October 09 - October 10). Which isn't great, but since it's pure profit Sony wouldn't really care. They are trying very hard to break out of that designated market. They have Ubisoft shovelware at the ready lmao. And if they were smart they'd do more with Invizimals, and make it the PSP's Pokemon in Europe and North America (obviously in Japan that's Monster Hunter).
I'm getting one and i' gonna jailbreak it and i will prolly use it for gaming