best beyblade series? Burst no storyline?

(Feb. 02, 2017  8:18 PM)Yblader1 Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I preferred the whole hero villain thing. Where there's always one main squeeze that everyone gotta beat. Anyways I also think Valts growth is kinda slow if I'm honest. I expected him to have mastered his awakening by the first like 25-30 episodes and fight on par with shu. Maybe it's just me but his growth seems slow.

In the og beyblades Tyson mastered dragoon in like 4 episodes, in mfb ginga already knew how to utilise Pegasus power. Valt seems like a rookie for many episodes now and nearly every one of his battles seems luck based, maybe they're tryna pull off the whole underdog thing but it's been a bit long now it's time for them to show us a cool side to valt like with shu and display skill and technique as such. Valt is like the beyblade counterpart of joey wheeler from yugioh. Mostly luck but outclassed in technique by another main character.

I personally never liked that Ginga was a near perfect blader who preached all the time in the start, he's more like the final result of what a developed character is, he feels the same as he does in 4D.
Certainly Beyblade Burst is not for everyone, and I think it's meant to be watched in marathons, as if they sold the series to a Netflix or something like that.
Burst may not have any story but it has a lot of charm and character interactions like witb Shu and Valt not to mention season 1 didn't really have a plot untill the Black Dranzer arc.
Also burst is giving us some mystery with Lui which can be developed into a story arc
(Feb. 02, 2017  10:41 PM)SoySauceNation Wrote: Burst may not have any story but it has a lot of charm and character interactions like witb Shu and Valt not to mention season 1 didn't really have a plot untill the Black Dranzer arc.

Actually there were hints of what Volki Monastery and Souichirou wanted as early as episode 10 or so.
No storyline in Burst? Go read something like "Walden" and tell me allllllll about it.

There are a number of threads comparing the different series, but asking which I prefer is always like asking me what I want for lunch- it really depends on the mood you find me in. People love variety, very few of us are content with the same thing 100% of the time.

I love Burst. Real life gives us plenty to worry about, a lighthearted story you can escape into once a grueling workday is over can be a saving grace. I also love machines + megalomania, the occasional moment when a big arena would be turned to rubble by two tiny tops, and chuckling to myself, "This is why you can't buy insurance for a bey stadium."

I swear this isn't just a Michael Bolton answer, but… I sorta like 'em all.
Guys it's not that I dislike burst. It's just that to me it feels very slow paced. I expected that by now valt woulda reached his potential and grown more but it feels like he still hasn't met his potential. I can see it happening if or when he faces Lui. Also the storyline doesn't feel set. I wish they put like one cold hearted antagonist character in there so they could work together and improve to defeat him. Maybe they coulda had lui destroy one of the bey clubs beys or something setting up valt To progress quicker.
It's fine if you don't like burst, it's just that some of us disagree and want to explain why we think it's decent for what it is.
(Feb. 03, 2017  9:16 AM)Jinbee Wrote: It's fine if you don't like burst, it's just that some of us disagree and want to explain why we think it's decent for what it is.

Like I said it's not that I don't like burst. It's just a little on the slow side and lacking in action imo. I still watch the show nonetheless. And the beys are quite cool. But just thought the character development is slow and it's probably due to the lack of plot vs other beyblade shows
I'd say that Valt's character development has been timed near to perfection. A protagonist should peak at the conclusion of a series (Luke in Return of the Jedi is a great example). Idk if you've read one piece but the main character luffy still hasn't reached his peak and the manga has been going for 20 years or so. This always gives him room to grow so that his character growth doesn't stall (as i feel gingka did very early on in metal fight)
Valt's improvement has actually been drastic over the 39 episodes i've watched, he's gone from a guy who couldn't even launch properly at all to being just below a spin emperor imo (around Quon, Ben or Gou level) this a clear improvement and you can see that by the end of the season he'll be on spin emperor level or slightly above
As far as plot goes, i totally disagree that burst has no plot, i think you're confusing plot for a story of good vs evil, i've already listed multiple examples of plot existing in burst on this thread so i won't repeat myself. "On the slow side" i totally agree with but i view it as a positive. Lends more emotion to dramatic moments as the characters have been developed and fleshed out. Personally I think Burst is much better than "decent" more like good-great and is among my favourite beyblade series thus far, waiting for the season to finish to make an overall judgement. Different opinions that's all Smile
(Feb. 04, 2017  10:39 AM)MaxxyWaxxy Wrote: I'd say that Valt's character development has been timed near to perfection. A protagonist should peak at the conclusion of a series (Luke in Return of the Jedi is a great example). Idk if you've read one piece but the main character luffy still hasn't reached his peak and the manga has been going for 20 years or so. This always gives him room to grow so that his character growth doesn't stall (as i feel gingka did very early on in metal fight)
Valt's improvement has actually been drastic over the 39 episodes i've watched, he's gone from a guy who couldn't even launch properly at all to being just below a spin emperor imo (around Quon, Ben or Gou level) this a clear improvement and you can see that by the end of the season he'll be on spin emperor level or slightly above

U talked bout luffy but the thing is that's generally expected in a continuous anime. Beyblades is always an anime with like 50 episodes so the growth should be quicker than that of a character like luffy. And luffy is powerful as heck compared to his rivals like law.
(Feb. 04, 2017  10:49 PM)Yblader1 Wrote: U talked bout luffy but the thing is that's generally expected in a continuous anime. Beyblades is always an anime with like 50 episodes so the growth should be quicker than that of a character like luffy. And luffy is powerful as heck compared to his rivals like law.

Personally I'm unsure what Luffy's rivalries in One Piece has to do with Beyblade... I get you're trying to make a point about character development, but why start talking about the series outside that boundary- I'm pretty sure half of us hasn't the slightest idea what goes on in that series, me included. 

Anyheck, has it actually been confirmed already that Burst's 1st season will be 50-some-odd episodes as well? The series seems a little too slow-paced to be capped off that quickly. Though I do admit Valt and Daina have had pretty drastic character development. Not sure how I feel about Rantaro and Wakiya's so far though. I certainly hope they're not going to just jam it all in our faces at the last minute. That would be such a waste... but that's just my opinion. I hope they spread it out nicely these last few episodes then!
The length of the series is irrelevant, my point was that it's important for a character to peak at the climax of a series, regardless of length. The anime is at episode 43 rn so where would you like Valt to be at this stage? Better than lui? Better than a spin emperor? We've still got 9 episodes left so if valt was already better than lui where would he have left to go?
Valt has shown a marked improvement so far as I said, from a total novice to one tier below spin emperor. In retrospect the growth has been very fast (as it needs to be) when compared to something like one piece
Disagree that luffy completely outclasses his rivals, but i won't get into that on a beyblade forum hahaha. One Piece for life though!!
(Feb. 05, 2017  6:12 AM)LordSigma Wrote: Personally I'm unsure what Luffy's rivalries in One Piece has to do with Beyblade... I get you're trying to make a point about character development, but why start talking about the series outside that boundary- I'm pretty sure half of us hasn't the slightest idea what goes on in that series, me included. 

Anyheck, has it actually been confirmed already that Burst's 1st season will be 50-some-odd episodes as well? The series seems a little too slow-paced to be capped off that quickly. Though I do admit Valt and Daina have had pretty drastic character development. Not sure how I feel about Rantaro and Wakiya's so far though. I certainly hope they're not going to just jam it all in our faces at the last minute. That would be such a waste... but that's just my opinion. I hope they spread it out nicely these last few episodes then!

Yes, the first season is confirmed to have fifty-one episodes: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...ies-Disney
(Feb. 05, 2017  6:30 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Yes, the first season is confirmed to have fifty-one episodes: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...ies-Disney

Ah thanks for clearing that up for me! Much appreciated
(Feb. 05, 2017  6:14 AM)MaxxyWaxxy Wrote: The length of the series is irrelevant, my point was that it's important for a character to peak at the climax of a series, regardless of length. The anime is at episode 43 rn so where would you like Valt to be at this stage? Better than lui? Better than a spin emperor? We've still got 9 episodes left so if valt was already better than lui where would he have left to go?
Valt has shown a marked improvement so far as I said, from a total novice to one tier below spin emperor. In retrospect the growth has been very fast (as it needs to be) when compared to something like one piece
Disagree that luffy completely outclasses his rivals, but i won't get into that on a beyblade forum hahaha. One Piece for life though!!

Quite the opposite I'd say the length of a series usually corresponds to a characters growth speed. But I guess I'd rather not discuss why cos I'd end up going off topic but that's just what I believe I guess. I'm not saying valt hasn't grown, just that he grows at a slow rate.
(Feb. 05, 2017  10:14 AM)Yblader1 Wrote: Quite the opposite I'd say the length of a series usually corresponds to a characters growth speed. But I guess I'd rather not discuss why cos I'd end up going off topic but that's just what I believe I guess. I'm not saying valt hasn't grown, just that he grows at a slow rate.

Oh i agree 100% that the length of a series corresponds to a characters growth speed, i simply meant that the length of a series was irrelevant to my overall point, which was that protagonists are usually at their strongest at or right before the end of a series. You still didn't answer my question though, how strong do you feel that Valt should be already?
It's pretty clear that most people here don't like the slower pace of the burst anime, which is a fair argument, but i'd rather watch a character grow over a whole season, then grow for 20-30 episodes and then stall for the rest of the season. If the main character is already perfect before the end the tension in battles is lost for the most part. Lui is the clear benchmark that Valt will likely reach by the end of the series (though Valt losing against him would be quite interesting)

(Feb. 05, 2017  6:12 AM)LordSigma Wrote: Personally I'm unsure what Luffy's rivalries in One Piece has to do with Beyblade... I get you're trying to make a point about character development, but why start talking about the series outside that boundary- I'm pretty sure half of us hasn't the slightest idea what goes on in that series, me included. 

HAHAHAHA true that Wakiya and Rantaro (especially) have had little character development. I guess Wakiya has softened up a little bit and Boss has become a bit more serious about blading? Other then that nothing yeah. Kensuke and Shu have also had drastic character developments imo. Hopefully they don't jam it all into the end of the series, that would feel very crammed and forced, but I feel they've done a good job so far
Honestly I really like Burst just because of it's realism. 4D was pretty weid considering the last 15 episodes were 100% fighting without much story. It was also too dark for me. My favourite series is probably Zero-G because of it's references to older characters and the best main character in beyblade ever.
(Feb. 05, 2017  12:24 PM)MaxxyWaxxy Wrote: Hopefully they don't jam it all into the end of the series, that would feel very crammed and forced, but I feel they've done a good job so far

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels that way, tbh. I can't wait to see where they go with the rest of the season!
As with the toyline the series is bad too. While I originally had an open mind about it I now definitely feel that this series is terrible. They got rid of the tradition of an evil organisation to fight. Consequently it has no proper plot. Yes i'm sure supporters will say that the tournament is the plot but honestly that alone is not enough. There is no pressure to win. Valt could just decide to give up and not try and defeat Lui and it wouldn't matter one bit. Another thing: Valt is very annoying. I honestly felt myself sympathizing with Lui for having to deal with him. He displays similar qualities to Tyson and Ginga but these aren't displayed in an endearing way and he just comes off like a complete idiot (which he is). Additionally in a beyblade universe where strategy is everything (unlike to a large extent in the original gen and MFB) he has no clue. It's tolerable when binge watching though so I guess i'll continue to do so.
(Feb. 06, 2017  1:59 AM)Ultra Wrote: As with the toyline the series is bad too. While I originally had an open mind about it I now definitely feel that this series is terrible. They got rid of the tradition of an evil organisation to fight. Consequently it has no proper plot. Yes i'm sure supporters will say that the tournament is the plot but honestly that alone is not enough. There is no pressure to win. Valt could just decide to give up and not try and defeat Lui and it wouldn't matter one bit. Another thing: Valt is very annoying. I honestly felt myself sympathizing with Lui for having to deal with him.  He displays similar qualities to Tyson and Ginga but these aren't displayed in an endearing way and he just comes off like a complete idiot (which he is). Additionally in a beyblade universe where strategy is everything (unlike to a large extent in the original gen and MFB) he has no clue. It's tolerable when binge watching though so I guess i'll continue to do so.

This was sorta what I was tryna say. I don't have anything against the series personally but it doesn't feel like the og series with ur main villain etc. It feels like the plot kinda shifts sometimes. And the growth in valt is slow as heck and he doesn't show any skill as a blader, all sheer luck. I still give it a chance though cos hopefully something might come out of the series later on.
It's funny to see this need of an evil corporation or a proper villain, someone truly bad, deep and dark some people have. Haha
I guess a chill, lighthearted series just to relax and enjoy the hobby was a bad idea after all. All kids want some good vs evil action and some Beyblades exploding everything around. That's fun.
Someone mentioned something elsewhere that made me realise this: isn't it the first time a Beyblade anime follows the manga storyline so much? Even in Metal Fight Beyblade's core storyline (after God of Bey Mawashi), I think the manga had a rather different story and both did not need to match each other, right? Yet, the whole world knows that whenever anime get done too early and risk catching up with the latest manga chapter out for that series, that leads to way too many filters.

Currently, the Beyblade Burst manga is still ahead in terms of story, since Valt is already facing Lui (and has apparently been doing so for at least two chapters...), but overall the matchups and the order of battles are similar, right?

This looks to be a completely deliberate decision, to make the manga and the anime match so much. However, again, everything in anime history has shown that it is preferable to have both storylines differ rather than to base too much on it, because manga are often monthly, and the anime moves at an entirely different pace, so you just paint yourself in a corner anytime you do that.

That could all explain why the pace is so slow.
(Feb. 06, 2017  8:04 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Someone mentioned something elsewhere that made me realise this: isn't it the first time a Beyblade anime follows the manga storyline so much? Even in Metal Fight Beyblade's core storyline (after God of Bey Mawashi), I think the manga had a rather different story and both did not need to match each other, right? Yet, the whole world knows that whenever anime get done too early and risk catching up with the latest manga chapter out for that series, that leads to way too many filters.

Currently, the Beyblade Burst manga is still ahead in terms of story, since Valt is already facing Lui (and has apparently been doing so for at least two chapters...), but overall the matchups and the order of battles are similar, right?

This looks to be a completely deliberate decision, to make the manga and the anime match so much. However, again, everything in anime history has shown that it is preferable to have both storylines differ rather than to base too much on it, because manga are often monthly, and the anime moves at an entirely different pace, so you just paint yourself in a corner anytime you do that.

That could all explain why the pace is so slow.

I do remember from the original manga it kind of varied. The first season matched up relatively with the manga whereas with V force there were some large differences. Then with G Rev it was similar except with HMS for the later part and the anime had Bega tacked on as the ending whereas the manga ended with Tyson fighting Kai and then the epilogue

I haven't read the manga lately but i'm not sure about that because in the anime Valt already faced Lui as part of the team tournament and lost and now the series seems to be building up to another tournament and his rematch with Lui where he'll blatantly win. So either it is ahead or they've basically gone with the same plot but added a loss for Valt to make it longer.