Why do people put more faith in images with usernames?

I don't mean to put this sarcastically or rudely, but why is this so? For example, is not it possible for me to ask somebody to take those pictures and send them? How does it promise a buyer that I willnship them what they paid for? When using methods such as Paypal, it is quite hard to scam a person because assuming they used goods and services, they can simply create a case (whether the seller sends them the items as promised or not at all) and get the transaction reversed?
(Jul. 07, 2019  5:25 PM)jade_juper Wrote: I don't mean to put this sarcastically or rudely, but why is this so? For example, is not it possible for me to ask somebody to take those pictures and send them? How does it promise a buyer that I willnship them what they paid for? When using methods such as Paypal, it is quite hard to scam a person because assuming they used goods and services, they can simply create a case (whether the seller sends them the items as promised or not at all) and get the transaction reversed?

Might be true (idk because I have no experience). But, you might be wasting time which you won't know until you realize that that person scammed you.
(Jul. 07, 2019  6:10 PM)Ash_Ketchum_007 Wrote:
(Jul. 07, 2019  5:25 PM)jade_juper Wrote: I don't mean to put this sarcastically or rudely, but why is this so? For example, is not it possible for me to ask somebody to take those pictures and send them? How does it promise a buyer that I willnship them what they paid for? When using methods such as Paypal, it is quite hard to scam a person because assuming they used goods and services, they can simply create a case (whether the seller sends them the items as promised or not at all) and get the transaction reversed?

Might be true (idk because I have no experience). But, you might be wasting time which you won't know until you realize that that person scammed you.

I suppose maybe that might be the case, but unless you decide to wire them the money (which I doubt too many people here will due to the majority of people being teenagers or children, with smart adults around) they can't steal it. Furthermore, what about doctored images? I could go ask some seller to write my name beside a bunch of their stock, post it and be treated as an honest seller.
It's not about faith, it's about proof. As a seller, you need to prove that you possess the items you're selling instead of just posting a picture of the product from somewhere else.

And you do this by posting a picture of the items you are selling with your written down username. It's very basic but reasonable proof. It's better than nothing.

And if you don't like this then you don't have to sell here.

Actually, It's VERY easy to scam people through paypal. All the seller has to do is stall for a month and they keep the money and you get nothing back. Therefore, you should have pictures and be trusted if you want to sell. Not saying your scamming people, just stating my opinion.
(Jul. 07, 2019  10:44 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: It's not about faith, it's about proof. As a seller, you need to prove that you possess the items you're selling instead of just posting a picture of the product from somewhere else.

And you do this by posting a picture of the items you are selling with your written down username. It's very basic but reasonable proof. It's better than nothing.

How are you proving it? It can be anybody who wrote tha name along with "your" produtcs. I'm asking a genuine question, not your opinon of whether I ought to sell here or not so at least keep your post related please.

(Jul. 08, 2019  12:10 AM)#Fafnir Wrote:

Actually, It's VERY easy to scam people through paypal. All the seller has to do is stall for a month and they keep the money and you get nothing back. Therefore, you should have pictures and be trusted if you want to sell. Not saying your scamming people, just stating my opinion.

Not really. In Paypal, you can lodge a case for I think 180 days. Even if the seller does not respond. For example, I was scammed by a chinese beyblade seller once, I created a case and got my money back because the tracking number sent was bogus. Thank you for your kindness!

All I am asking is, a seller can easily get pictures of stuff they don't own and make you fell like they own it. So, how are pictures really reliable?
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:24 AM)jade_juper Wrote:
(Jul. 07, 2019  10:44 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: It's not about faith, it's about proof. As a seller, you need to prove that you possess the items you're selling instead of just posting a picture of the product from somewhere else.

How are you proving it? It can be anybody who wrote tha name along with "your" produtcs. I'm asking a genuine question, not your opinon of whether I ought to sell here or not so at least keep your post related please.

(Jul. 08, 2019  12:10 AM)#Fafnir Wrote: Actually, It's VERY easy to scam people through paypal. All the seller has to do is stall for a month and they keep the money and you get nothing back. Therefore, you should have pictures and be trusted if you want to sell. Not saying your scamming people, just stating my opinion.

Not really. In Paypal, you can lodge a case for I think 180 days. Even if the seller does not respond. For example, I was scammed by a chinese beyblade seller once, I created a case and got my money back because the tracking number sent was bogus. Thank you for your kindness!

All I am asking is, a seller can easily get pictures of stuff they don't own and make you fell like they own it. So, how are pictures really reliable?

That's where the username part comes in. To prove YOU actually have it, you have to put a piece of paper with your WBO username in the picture.
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:26 AM)#Fafnir Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:24 AM)jade_juper Wrote: How are you proving it? It can be anybody who wrote tha name along with "your" produtcs. I'm asking a genuine question, not your opinon of whether I ought to sell here or not so at least keep your post related please.

That's where the username part comes in. To prove YOU actually have it, you have to put a piece of paper with your WBO username in the picture.

Well I get that those are the rules, but what I mean is can't I go to some toy store, take a picture of some item with my name writtenmon it and hence "prove" ownership?
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:36 AM)jade_juper Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:26 AM)#Fafnir Wrote: That's where the username part comes in. To prove YOU actually have it, you have to put a piece of paper with your WBO username in the picture.

Well I get that those are the rules, but what I mean is can't I go to some toy store, take a picture of some item with my name writtenmon it and hence "prove" ownership?

Hmm, I guess you have a point there. But, you'll sell more if you have it. To be honest, I won't buy from anyone without the picture with the username in it.
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:38 AM)#Fafnir Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:36 AM)jade_juper Wrote: Well I get that those are the rules, but what I mean is can't I go to some toy store, take a picture of some item with my name writtenmon it and hence "prove" ownership?

Hmm, I guess you have a point there. But, you'll sell more if you have it. To be honest, I won't buy from anyone without the picture with the username in it.

I guess so. I don't really get why though; it is a rather weak sort of condition in my head.
(Jul. 08, 2019  3:10 AM)jade_juper Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  2:38 AM)#Fafnir Wrote: Hmm, I guess you have a point there. But, you'll sell more if you have it. To be honest, I won't buy from anyone without the picture with the username in it.

I guess so. I don't really get why though; it is a rather weak sort of condition in my head.

I see your point. It's mainly so users don't get scammed.
There is Gold Dragoon GT on ebay and gurupassant is selling it who is Indian scammer.

Just buy through ebay, paypal from him.
And say farewell your money.
There are such professional scammers.
(Jul. 08, 2019  7:38 AM)tanerow123 Wrote: There is Gold Dragoon GT on ebay and gurupassant is selling it who is Indian scammer.

Just buy through ebay, paypal from him.
And say farewell your money.
There are such professional scammers.

May I ask if you are aware of how Paypal actually operates? If you don't receive your item in 180 days, you file a claim for "item not received". Then, Paypal looks at both sides of the story and demands that the seller provide proof of postage (a tracking receipt; if they don't ship it then obviously it is impossible to show a real one as the tracking number won't work) and then without asking the seller, the buyer gets their money refunded. The guy who you call a scammer is most likely an arrogant idiot.

Jade Jupiter guy, please don't mind this fellow. All he does is pretend to know stuff when in reality he just constantly gives advice to everyone. In my thread where I was looking for help with setting up a lottery, he gives me a bunch of things to fix. When I ask him for advice, he says he won't help me even though I said I won't host it on the forum. You'd think that if someone can tell you what to fix, they know how it should be. Furthermore, this guy is practically blind. Very arrogant, just block him if you can.
(Jul. 08, 2019  9:57 AM)BeanMrBean Wrote: Jade Jupiter guy, please don't mind this fellow. All he does is pretend to know stuff when in reality he just constantly gives advice to everyone. In my thread where I was looking for help with setting up a lottery, he gives me a bunch of things to fix. When I ask him for advice, he says he won't help me even though I said I won't host it on the forum. You'd think that if someone can tell you what to fix, they know how it should be. Furthermore, this guy is practically blind. Very arrogant, just block him if you can.

That's completely unfair towards him. Nothing he's said in this situation is wrong. If you have any ongoing resentment for the guy, it's completely misplaced in this situation and you should address that privately in your own time.

As DeceasedCrab rightfully says; it's about proof ahead of a sale. The WBO cannot and will not be held liable for any misconduct during a sale or trade between members onsite, so this is a precaution we've put in to add some reassurance and proof ahead of time.

The PayPal point is right, you can issue a refund request because of an issue with the item, but you shouldn't need to rely on that. That should be a last resort for resolving a situation, and it's way better to enter a transaction beforehand knowing "alright, this seller actually has the item they're offering". I wouldn't touch any selling thread on here that didn't have a written username in the image as proof, as many sellers have zero selling reputation here, and anybody these days can go online, grab a random image and be like "Yes, this is mine".

The bottom line is that this is a stopgap to prevent the need to invoke PayPal's refund system, and to provide reassurance ahead of a transaction. It's our basic requirement given that we are not liable for transactions between users on this site.
(Jul. 08, 2019  10:19 AM)~Mana~ Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  9:57 AM)BeanMrBean Wrote: Jade Jupiter guy, please don't mind this fellow. All he does is pretend to know stuff when in reality he just constantly gives advice to everyone. In my thread where I was looking for help with setting up a lottery, he gives me a bunch of things to fix. When I ask him for advice, he says he won't help me even though I said I won't host it on the forum. You'd think that if someone can tell you what to fix, they know how it should be. Furthermore, this guy is practically blind. Very arrogant, just block him if you can.

That's completely unfair towards him. Nothing he's said in this situation is wrong. If you have any ongoing resentment for the guy, it's completely misplaced in this situation and you should address that privately in your own time.

As DeceasedCrab rightfully says; it's about proof ahead of a sale. The WBO cannot and will not be held liable for any misconduct during a sale or trade between members onsite, so this is a precaution we've put in to add some reassurance and proof ahead of time.

The PayPal point is right, you can issue a refund request because of an issue with the item, but you shouldn't need to rely on that. That should be a last resort for resolving a situation, and it's way better to enter a transaction beforehand knowing "alright, this seller actually has the item they're offering". I wouldn't touch any selling thread on here that didn't have a written username in the image as proof, as many sellers have zero selling reputation here, and anybody these days can go online, grab a random image and be like "Yes, this is mine".

The bottom line is that this is a stopgap to prevent the need to invoke PayPal's refund system, and to provide reassurance ahead of a transaction. It's our basic requirement given that we are not liable for transactions between users on this site.

No it is not. This guy loterally only tries and fails at sounding smart. In mympost I clearly asked for help. All he did was say what was wrong. Given that I specifically asked for help in hosting a lottery, it would mean that he knows how to help me. I clearly said, I mean not to host it in the forum. I am just warning this Jade Jupiter fellow not to listen to deceased crab because he is an areogant idiot.
(Jul. 08, 2019  10:19 AM)~Mana~ Wrote:

Dunno if you are talking to me with the first part, but that is all I ask is that how do you know I have the item? I can request someone to take a photo with the item. I that how gullibe people are? It feels like a pretty weak promise just there to blame people if they get scammed.

(Jul. 08, 2019  11:28 AM)BeanMrBean Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  10:19 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: That's completely unfair towards him. Nothing he's said in this situation is wrong. If you have any ongoing resentment for the guy, it's completely misplaced in this situation and you should address that privately in your own time.

No it is not. This guy loterally only tries and fails at sounding smart. In mympost I clearly asked for help. All he did was say what was wrong. Given that I specifically asked for help in hosting a lottery, it would mean that he knows how to help me. I clearly said, I mean not to host it in the forum. I am just warning this Jade Jupiter fellow not to listen to deceased crab because he is an areogant idiot.

Wow dude. I will stay away from this fellow if he is as full of carp as you say.
(Jul. 08, 2019  11:28 AM)BeanMrBean Wrote: No it is not. This guy loterally only tries and fails at sounding smart. In mympost I clearly asked for help. All he did was say what was wrong. Given that I specifically asked for help in hosting a lottery, it would mean that he knows how to help me. I clearly said, I mean not to host it in the forum. I am just warning this Jade Jupiter fellow not to listen to deceased crab because he is an areogant idiot.

It is, because you're completely dismissing him based on another situation. Telling people to ignore him when he's actually giving correct in this situation (and in a generally neutral way) is just wrong.

He might have irked you in your own situation - and you're completely allowed to dislike him and not take him seriously for that, don't get me wrong - but I just can't endorse dismissing someone in another situation when they're giving impartial and correct advice. I have to be fair here, even based on the past; even if you don't like someone, they can give correct advice and should not be dismissed in those cases when they're actually helpful. If I dismissed anyone I didn't like, there's a lot of things that wouldn't be possible, or a lot of things I just wouldn't know.

I can only recommend that you speak privately with Crab to clear up any animosity between you two, as he's usually just trying to help, even if it comes over a bit heavy-handed sometimes. If you need me to mediate between you two, please let me know and I'll be happy to step in Smile

(Jul. 08, 2019  11:36 AM)jade_juper Wrote: Dunno if you are talking to me with the first part, but that is all I ask is that how do you know I have the item? I can request someone to take a photo with the item. I that how gullibe people are? It feels like a pretty weak promise just there to blame people if they get scammed.

First part was in response to BeanMrBean, but the rest applies to your situation; having a written username somewhere in an image is the most simple form of proof of ownership that can be asked of a seller, and it's effective in the majority of cases onsite. It's less because people are gullible, and more as a "just in case" provision regardless of the buyer. These scams have happened in the past, and we ask for this one simple guideline to reduce the risk of this happening.

I'm not sure I understand the "weak promise just there to blame people if they get scammed"? But hopefully I've explained enough to help relieve this concern?
@“~Mana~“ I think what jade_juper is trying to ask is what would stop a WBO seller from telling someone else that has the product from taking a picture of it with WBO seller’s name on paper?
(Jul. 08, 2019  12:21 PM)~Mana~ Wrote:
(Jul. 08, 2019  11:28 AM)BeanMrBean Wrote: No it is not. This guy loterally only tries and fails at sounding smart. In mympost I clearly asked for help. All he did was say what was wrong. Given that I specifically asked for help in hosting a lottery, it would mean that he knows how to help me. I clearly said, I mean not to host it in the forum. I am just warning this Jade Jupiter fellow not to listen to deceased crab because he is an areogant idiot.

It is, because you're completely dismissing him based on another situation. Telling people to ignore him when he's actually giving correct in this situation (and in a generally neutral way) is just wrong.

He might have irked you in your own situation - and you're completely allowed to dislike him and not take him seriously for that, don't get me wrong - but I just can't endorse dismissing someone in another situation when they're giving impartial and correct advice. I have to be fair here, even based on the past; even if you don't like someone, they can give correct advice and should not be dismissed in those cases when they're actually helpful. If I dismissed anyone I didn't like, there's a lot of things that wouldn't be possible, or a lot of things I just wouldn't know.

I can only recommend that you speak privately with Crab to clear up any animosity between you two, as he's usually just trying to help, even if it comes over a bit heavy-handed sometimes. If you need me to mediate between you two, please let me know and I'll be happy to step in Smile

(Jul. 08, 2019  11:36 AM)jade_juper Wrote: Dunno if you are talking to me with the first part, but that is all I ask is that how do you know I have the item? I can request someone to take a photo with the item. I that how gullibe people are? It feels like a pretty weak promise just there to blame people if they get scammed.

First part was in response to BeanMrBean, but the rest applies to your situation; having a written username somewhere in an image is the most simple form of proof of ownership that can be asked of a seller, and it's effective in the majority of cases onsite. It's less because people are gullible, and more as a "just in case" provision regardless of the buyer. These scams have happened in the past, and we ask for this one simple guideline to reduce the risk of this happening.

I'm not sure I understand the "weak promise just there to blame people if they get scammed"? But hopefully I've explained enough to help relieve this concern?

Thank you for explaining! I do not get it still.
(Jul. 08, 2019  12:27 PM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: @“~Mana~” I think what jade_juper is trying to ask is what would stop a WBO seller from telling someone else that has the product from taking a picture of it with WBO seller’s name on paper?

Oh, okay, that makes more sense.

In that case, yeah, that's a risk unfortunately. I'd like to think that's too much effort for most people to jump through and will put them off. But yes, in those situations, you're looking at a PayPal dispute as there's nothing more that could've been done. Same as if a seller on eBay or any other marketplace had done it really.

The username thing is a deterrent in situations like that.
(Jul. 08, 2019  12:21 PM)~Mana~ Wrote:

Well, thank you for your polite response but TBH, he's not doing that. The OP asked "Why are people willing to believe that just having photos with a username is equated with the poster having the items?". Deceased Brain cells responded:

The question was not why a photo with the username is readed but rather why people believe it. The OP recognized that images are needed here. Furthermore, this fellow says "If you don't like this then you don't have to sell here". The OP just asked why people place greater faith in photos, and once again this fellow's inability to read properly has brought disgrace to his already destroyed reputation.

I'm sorry about you being dragged into this. I just hate people like him who pretend to know stuff when they have no idea about anything and refuse to even properly understand what somebody is trying to say. Thank you very much though for your kind, ever polite and very nice way of addressing me, I really appreciate it!
Might want to calm it a bit with the name calling here, it's becoming quite tactless and heading into warning territory here, haha. Nonetheless, it's fine, I don't mind being involved. Just needed to step in to clarify things.

If it's about why people subconsciously believe it when they see it, unfortunately there's no true answer to that. Everyone behaves differently and it's pretty impossible for anyone to make an all-round assumption. I'd guess that it's just because that first barrier of security is there (confirmation of ownership until proven otherwise), but it's inexplainable beyond that.

Anywho, I think all that needs to be said has been said in this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and close it. If there are any further questions on this topic, please pop me a PM instead! Thanks!