Why Are Beyblades hated in high school so much?

(Aug. 14, 2010  2:36 PM)PrinceWicked Wrote: If i got that right the new BB's are 14+ ^^?

On the box it says 8+
(Aug. 14, 2010  9:48 AM)TraceKaiser Wrote: A lot of my friends play yugioh, and are all huge dicks when they do anything to do with it

I dunno why, it that seems to be it. Like, yugioh give people the BeAJerk hormone and it kicks in everytime they smell a card :l
They're not hated, in fact, people probably don't even remember them.
They're just considered embarrassing because spinning tops with bright colours on them are generally... for kids. In fact, most things with bright colours are for kids. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's for kids, it's probably considered "embarrassing."
ya they will make fun of you for liking it but when......your making twice as much as they are working for what they called "nerdy" or geeky or whatever they wont be laughing will they Tongue_out_wink thats if you wanna work for the company or such if you love it enough ;D but ya people at my hig school (at my brothers technically) like pokemon a lot (dont see why Tired) and they dont hid it just feel comfortable playing it and who knows you might get some of your friends into it Grin you should never ever feel embearassed doin something you love ;D
The other day, my older cousin came round to my house. He's normally pretty dismissive of my hobbies and interests, but seeing some Bey lying around on my desk, and my Attack Stadium on the floor, he couldn't resist having a go. He said he was pretty impressed and really liked the Gravity Perseus design ...

Honestly, Beyblade is cool beyond reason.
lol the only thing my brother likes about them is the 'pain splitting' thing. I asked him today if he wanted to play and he just gave me a dirty look.
It's not really hated at my school. People don't play it at my school, they don't really do anything anime or toy related.
guys my posts on the first page of this thread are still the answer
At my junior high EVERYONE has/wants a bey. From the 'cool kids' to the nerds. It's like the thing that brings all the students together and doesnt leave people left out. Teachers let us bring them to school and lend us a plastic basket-ish thing to use as a stadium. Where I live, it's not hated but loved. The only problem is that there's a primary school next door and there are tons of second graders with beys that sometimes get robbed by the kids at my school...
Ok, I guess now is kinda my turn for a regaling memory. When Beyblade first came stateside I was 15 turning 16. I was skeptical at first I must admit but then I looked more indepth at the actual game. This was done with a small handful of my friends at the time because only a small handful of us cared enough to give it a shot (Me and three girls, which in my mind equals not a bad thing) We decided to play it at times after school and keep our talk about it to then so we didn't disrupt our classes. During the midday break we talked with some of our other friends about other anime and video games as they came up. But the others knew we were interested in the beyblade game and they didn't give two cents about it because we weren't being lame on it. In fact I was called over to my at the time best friend's place to beat his little brother in the game to shut him up.

Going into college when G Rev was finishing up was when I took a hiatus in playing it so I could concentrate on my college career. Now I'm out of school and married.

Now does this mean it was "in" or "cool"? Gods no, in fact most of the people there didn't care one way or another. In fact I was quite the anomaly in high school, while I hung out with the geeks and outcasts I didn't take part in the whole clique thing. Everyone was seemingly confused as all hell about me, nearly everyone tried to pull me into their group but failed. I suggest trying to be an "anomaly", its fun messing with all their heads at times and those who do befriend you and try not to drag you into the social grouping aspect will be your true friends that you can call upon later on for help in the real world. Hell, I'm getting a job now cause of that which makes me happy cause in a few months I'll be able to save up enough to start seriously getting into the new system.
Because not fitting in anywhere is the cool and fun thing to do.

Chances are there's a person at your school who likes bey, and multiples who will like it if you introduce it to them. It shouldn't be hard to get a couple of friends at least slightly into it.
My school has an anime club and Yugioh! is loved and tournaments are held. I guess if I wasn't lazy I'd introduce beyblade there first.
Wow sumtimes i wonder wat ppl would think if i started a club 4 it 2..ima senior this year N cali n the ppl at my skoo already make fun of the ppl that plays Yugioh their...n i cnt help but imagin wat they'll do 2 me lolz

well who cares rite...u gotta have confidence n urself 2 do these kinda things
(Aug. 18, 2010  5:20 AM)Mc Frown Wrote: Because not fitting in anywhere is the cool and fun thing to do.

It is if the reaction to it is that people try to fit you somewhere and they get frustrated simply because they cant, that is very funny I think. In my case I wasn't hated or anything like that because in my case I was actually pretty generous about it. The place where most people go wrong is withdrawing because they don't fit in. If you embrace that fact and own it, making everyone see that its not that you don't like them its that you don't like the system that is imposed then you won't have a problem. There is a big difference between being an open and unusual individual and being a reclusive and suspicious hermit.
Meh, screw anyone who decides to laugh at me... Besides at my school, everyone is scared of the Anime Club president anyway. Her name fluctuates from Female Hitler to Female Satan... Scary.
My high school was big on Yu-Gi-Oh! and the president of our anime club was a bit of a wuss, but he did the morning announcements and was liked by a lot of the older students, I was only made fun of once. The guy was a class A jerk and I'm pretty sure I could have broke him like a twig. I got really ticked and he backed off.
I feel that they are not hated, but more looked down upon as it is "uncool" to be seen playing a game that is directed at children. However, I think that there are more people in their adolescence who secretly like Beyblade, but are unwilling to admit it.

My cousin is a prime example. The last time he touched a Beyblade was when he was eleven, and before I showed him my MFB's, he scoffed at the idea that I still cared for them. However, once he saw my new MFB's, he was immediately drawn to them, and couldn't stop playing with them. Now that he's in HK, he's on a shopping spree for Beyblades.

So in conclusion, there are probably tons of people in high school, or in my case, university, who really embrace the idea of Beyblade. But as the media dictates, it's not "cool", which is why a lot of people don't admit they like it, or even bash it.
Even though I'm out of high school,as I said way earlier in the topic, I got a lot of people in my high school (even some teachers) into Beyblade.

They initially bashed it,but once I convinced them to give it a chance,they were hooked.

I think the key is to explain it in simple terms,and not use too much terminology without explanation (otherwise they get turned off).

It probably also helped that I had spares to let them use and keep.

If you try to convince someone to buy something with their own money,that's kinda difficult.

But if you give them something to do,that's much easier.
I know exactly how you feel. If I were still in High School(graduated) and I were playing beyblades at lunch in the halls or courtyard, ppl would come over and steal my blades in front of my face and break them, than never let me live it down. Man I hated my H.S..... but anyways, me and my friends were obsessed with everything a h.s. would consider "nerdy or kidish". we wouldn't bring it to school, but we'd talk about it ALLL the time. We still got picked on for that, but it's better than getting our beys destroyed.
I still think it's kind of obvious why people dislike Beyblades in High School, it's the same reason most of them don't like Pokemon or anything anymore. It's because they want to try and establish themselves as older and mature and see that as a kids toy. Do any of you still play with action figures or dolls? No because that's behind you and you've grown up and don't want to do that anymore. That's how people who dislike it feel, that it's a toy for children. You can argue all you want about how it's a deep and intricate game but when it comes down to it... It's a spinning top game targeted to appeal to children. The best thing I find is to just do it on your own time or with your friends outside of school and avoid confrontation. Hell, only my close friends and my immediate family know that I spin tops, meanwhile a lot of people know I yoyo. It's how you choose to present yourself. That being said there is nothing wrong with being a cool guise who fights against the current and tries to be cool but most of the people who are like this are kinda losers already.

tldr; don't carp about beyblade not being liked in highschool it's like any other hobby that is slightly nerdy, not everyone is going to like it: especially when it's targeted at children. if you don't like people making fun of you beyblading don't beyblade in public
Me too, I think people heard you playing Beyblades will think you with a "color lens"...
but I don't think it is that bad.
If you can beat everyone's bey with 100% win rate and think it is dumb, baby games,
that's an another story.
But that is impossible,and no reason why you play beys.
tbh; I just play because I think it's a neat little game and because I've made a lot of friends around my own age through playing. That and a couple of my friends here don't mind playing every once and a while. I don't understand how people can let their entire lives be shaped by a spinning top game...

(Insert that picture of that kid dressed up as Kai here)
(May. 09, 2010  7:55 AM)megablader2 Wrote: How can you not understand why they are hated in high school? They're are a toy. It's not exactly normal to play with beyblades when you're above about 12-13 years old. Saying that you should like what you like no matter what people say.

im glad that im 12
When it comes to the whole maturity factor, I find that usually the ones who are the least mature in school are the ones who try the hardest to be so mature. In fact the whole reason anyone who wasn't actually my friend liked me is because I didn't get bogged down in all of that. Also the reason they never made fun of me is because back in elementary school back before it became taboo to defend yourself I flattened one of my school's biggest bullies with one punch after blocking every hit he made save one and that only grazed my ear. I stood up for myself and didn't try to conform and guess what, they respected me for it. Deep down thats what it really comes down to, its not fitting in its standing up for who you are and being respectable about it. Does that mean push your likes onto others, no that means if they ask you about things answer up and go with it. If they try to be irritable about it then just say "oh well, thats your thing" turn around and be done with it. Very simple.
(Aug. 19, 2010  4:22 PM)☆ Wrote:
(May. 09, 2010  7:55 AM)megablader2 Wrote: How can you not understand why they are hated in high school? They're are a toy. It's not exactly normal to play with beyblades when you're above about 12-13 years old. Saying that you should like what you like no matter what people say.

im glad that im 12

I am twelve, and it is already considered extremely abnormal for me to be even INTERESTED in Beyblade.