What does Beyblade mean to you?

Hey guys,

I wrote a few lines about what beyblade means to me, thought I would share it here:

Beyblade has some pretty unique meanings to me. It was once a distance childhood memories that signified loneliness. More recently, it served as tool in my work as a youth worker. And through that, I found a new passion that makes life a bit more worth while.

Beyblade's plastic generation first came out when I was about 12. Like many kids, I bought one. However, I was a lonely child and was lacking friends. So I never used it in a game. I spent most of my time fantasizing what it would be like in a bey battle. It was forgotten over time. Beyblade made a come back later on when the anime was airing. By then, I had long accepted my role as a loner and did not even bother to buy one. Once again, this game of spinning top escaped me.

As a youth worker, I came into contact with kids in many settles. And I eventually encountered kids who were obsessed with these spinning tops. I worked in a youth residence for kids with mental illness. They exhibit frequent emotional outbursts that required the workers to physically hold them in order to ensure safety. For this particular group of youngsters, one of their favourite activities was beyblades.

I was in my adulthood by the time I encounter Beyblades again. The game of spinning tops had also evolved to the metal fight series. Intrigued by the constellation theme and the new design, I bought a few tops so that I could participate in the game with my clients. It's not a rare thing for a youth worker to engage clients in activities. It is, however, unheard of for these children to see an adult who was willing play Beyblades with them. Perhaps it has to do with the notion that this game was for children, and that adults would never engage in it. I, on the other hand, did not care and left quite an impression with these children by breaking the norm.

Beyblade became a common ground for me to connect to my clients. It had become a routine for me to bring my beys and stadium to work. My clients and I would do regular battles. I also shared my research on beyblade and taught them how to play the game properly (they were using salad bowls and card boxes as stadiums) as well as the mythologies where some of the beys were based on. I was able to avoid many situations where my clients would have had an outburst, by simply redirecting their attentions to a duel of spinning tops. My co workers usually look to me to keep the children out of trouble and it worked fairly well on most occasions. There were also days where beyblade backfired; these youngsters were known to throw various objects at the worker during an outburst, including their collection of metal spinning tops. I had long since learned to keep such objects out of their reach whenever I sense that the situation was about to turn sour. I came to recognize Beyblade as a symbol of my bond with my clients; something that can be enjoyable and helped stabilize their emotion, but can also be risky when left unchecked.

I was reluctant to invest in the game of beyblade, because I thought it would serve no other purpose in my life outside of work. To my relieve, I found the World Beyblade Organization and their regular tournaments. Memories of being a loner come back to haunt me and I began to have second thoughts. I was afraid of rejections. The fact that I am a grown man trying to play a children's game only served to hold be back further from enjoying this game. As I work with my clients, their questions urged me to conduct further research in these spinning tops. I realized that, despite the childish presentation, beyblade was not such a simple game at all. I was fascinated by the strategies and the dynamics of the game and, against my best judgment, I decided to attend a tournament. Being the oldest person there, I felt quite awkward. But the participants were not as young as I assumed (the host being 22). The people were friendly and I had a good time. For the first time in years, I found a new hobby that I can enjoy in my precious time off from work.

Beyblade, a word that meant different things in my various stages of life. It was once a distant memory of a game that I had no friends to share with. These spinning tops then become a channel for me to connect to children who needed a bit of extra help in keeping their emotions stable. This game expanded outside of my work and made life a bit more enjoyable. I am glad that I took a leap of faith with it. I have peers who gave me odd looks whenever I mention beyblade. It didn't help make me feel better. However, I was surprised that I am quite passionate in explaining the game to people. I feel that beyblade is an misunderstood activity that deserve to be seen as a hobby that can be enjoyed by not just children by people in different points of their life. Instead of condemning it as a simple childish game, I often urge people to look deeper in hopes that they can see the beauty and dynamic of of these metal spinning tops.

What do beyblade mean to you?
Wow, that was actually pretty interesting to read, haha.
And don't worry, we here are really friendly and there's no age limit for tournaments. Plus there are many adults on the site. It seems like you've been around for a bit so you probably know that, haha.
Anyway, what does beyblade mean to me?
It's an escape from the world around me. Much like you when you were younger, I don't have any friends at my school (though I'm friends with pretty much everyone in my grammar school graduating class, a grand total of 12 students, including me). I'm pretty miserable at school, and when I come home, I play with my beyblades and it takes me away, so to speak. The WBO serves as a friendly environment where I'm closer to some of the members than anyone in my high school. They all share at least one common interest and are very friendly. For some reason, I really cherish the memories of sitting in my dads swivel chair and watching seasons 1, 2, and 3 on his computer, while eating twizzlers. The game itself is a form of amusement, as well as a serious hobby. It cures boredom, and I can sort of play with myself, which is more than I can say for other games.
This is all the plastic series by the way, I don't care for MFB.
Anyway, I hope this thread doesn't get closed, as I can see the work and time you put into it.
(May. 08, 2013  11:54 PM)Ultramarine Wrote: Wow, that was actually pretty interesting to read, haha.
And don't worry, we here are really friendly and there's no age limit for tournaments. Plus there are many adults on the site. It seems like you've been around for a bit so you probably know that, haha.
Anyway, what does beyblade mean to me?
It's an escape from the world around me. Much like you when you were younger, I don't have any friends at my school (though I'm friends with pretty much everyone in my grammar school graduating class, a grand total of 12 students, including me). I'm pretty miserable at school, and when I come home, I play with my beyblades and it takes me away, so to speak. The WBO serves as a friendly environment where I'm closer to some of the members than anyone in my high school. They all share at least one common interest and are very friendly. For some reason, I really cherish the memories of sitting in my dads swivel chair and watching seasons 1, 2, and 3 on his computer, while eating twizzlers. The game itself is a form of amusement, as well as a serious hobby. It cures boredom, and I can sort of play with myself, which is more than I can say for other games.
This is all the plastic series by the way, I don't care for MFB.
Anyway, I hope this thread doesn't get closed, as I can see the work and time you put into it.

Thank you taking time to read Smile

Sometimes an escape is all we need to recharge and get back on our feet again to face the challenges of life. Did it feel odd to play by ur self back then?
I still battle myself, along with my best friend (from grammar school) sometimes, but I don't see him to often.
So yah, I pretty much do.
I had more or less the same edge has you when I saw beyblade, I didn't have a real one, only a fake that broke the SG and no one lend me a part (I didn't have many friends, a couple only) because they didn't play or didn't want to, so it kept getting dust in the closet, but my god daughter who is more than 10 years younger than me really likes beyblade, so I bought her one and my girlfriend another for her birthday, I played with her and it remind me how fun and enjoyable it was, so I started searching, founding WBO, I don't play with members, but it make me love MFB, specially Zero G, for customizing, I still love plastics, but have just a couple of projects only to resemble my love to them has a child.
I still don't have many friends to play with, but I have my god daughter and my nephew to play with, I'm trying to teach them how to customize but they really stubborn and get distracted WAY too easy, so it's pretty hard LOL

Spinning tops are one of my more important childhood memories because of beyblades and other normal spinning tops, I'm trying to make some beyblade that last with me for very long time because of that
Wows hat was incredible Suntailhawk. Well I never popular in middle school, hell I'm in ninth grade and I'm still not, any way when I started in 7th grade I started a school wide wave I mean everyone was hooked, even the most popular kid was doing it, then In 8th everyone abandoned it, and scorned me for doing it.. I got into a fist fight last year when someone said I was a low life, childish basterd for still beyblading, luckily I won 'cause nobody knew I could fight (I mean common I'm your average black kid from Detroit what do you expect lol) even after, my friend who got me into beyblade left it, and my best friend constantly scorns me for it, I found the WBO, then I took passion into this, now in ninth grade I get scorned even more! I honestly knew it was going to happen, so I hid it. But then I said to myself "why be afraid, you not doing drugs or having sex like other teens, this is your outlet". So I beybladed outside yesterday and some female pregnant dog (if you catch my drift) kicked my friend Blad3r X's BB-10 for no damn good reason, basically what beyblade means to me is Your way to have fun. Smile
Yuko, man, that's just....horrible. I actually feel so bad for what you've dealt with because of Beyblading, and I'm proud to have a fellow blader like you, being so passionate about Beyblade, it's truly amazing.

Beyblade is basically my life. I don't really play at school, but all day when I'm at home, that's all I'm doing. It's actually such an amazing hobby, this is all I love to do. And now, since I've joined the WBO, Beyblading has become even more important, it's become more competitive, and I really like that. Hmm, it's not much, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Beyblade means alot to me because not only is it fun to play you can interact with other bladers play tournaments and it can brng countries and nations together!
(May. 11, 2013  2:55 AM)Yuko Ray14 Wrote: Wows hat was incredible Suntailhawk. Well I never popular in middle school, hell I'm in ninth grade and I'm still not, any way when I started in 7th grade I started a school wide wave I mean everyone was hooked, even the most popular kid was doing it, then In 8th everyone abandoned it, and scorned me for doing it.. I got into a fist fight last year when someone said I was a low life, childish basterd for still beyblading, luckily I won 'cause nobody knew I could fight (I mean common I'm your average black kid from Detroit what do you expect lol) even after, my friend who got me into beyblade left it, and my best friend constantly scorns me for it, I found the WBO, then I took passion into this, now in ninth grade I get scorned even more! I honestly knew it was going to happen, so I hid it. But then I said to myself "why be afraid, you not doing drugs or having sex like other teens, this is your outlet". So I beybladed outside yesterday and some female pregnant dog (if you catch my drift) kicked my friend Blad3r X's BB-10 for no damn good reason, basically what beyblade means to me is Your way to have fun. Smile

Wow, I am sorry to hear your experience. I totally feel for you. I was teased and bullied for what I like (it was Yu gi oh for my back then). So I never bothered with BBs.

Now, i am 26, some of my friend still gave me strange looks and stuff for playing beyblades.

It's so true, it's our way of life and passion Wink

*high five*
Well to me beyblade is like away of life for me. I will never forget beyblade even as I grow older.

I first started beyblade in 8th when I returned to school after summer vacation. The firsts were me and my best friend who is like a big brother to me. We started beyblade there and then pretty much everyone in school started playing. It was part of our everyday lives. We brought stadiums to breakfast,we played in lunch and sometimes during class. Since everyone played beyblade I doubt that anyone got bullied for it. Beyblade is still part of my life and hold many of my favorite memories. The momories I had with my friends and my best friend. I am saying this because me and my best friend used to play a lot he was practically my brother...but he died of cancerCrying that's why beyblade holds many of my favorite memories. Now no one in high school plays beyblade...I felt alone until my sophomore year, I found a new hobby(Yugioh)and made lots of friends and soon I will start a clubGrin now things are starting to turn out good although I am still a very shy kid when it comes to classesUncertain
Here's What Beyblade Means To Me. During September 2010 A Little After Hasbro Released Beyblade Metal Fusion Everybody At My School Was Playing With Beyblades So I Decided To Try It! For My 8th Birthday (October 8th 2010) I Got My First Beyblade It Was Storm Pegasis. When I Came Back To School Barely Anybody Was Playing With Them D: So I Just Continued. By November 2010 Bladers Were Blading Again And I Was Pretty Happy. During 2011 Beyblades Were Huge At My School Until Teachers Banned Them. 2012 Was My Time To Get Them Back So I Made A Speech About Them. But What Do You Expect Now Nobody Liked Beyblade I Really Got Made Fun Of Then Unhappy I Didn't Care I Just Went On In Life. In August 2012 I Made My WBO Account. I Knew I Wouldn't Be Stopped Just Yet. On Febuary 11th 2013 I Was Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes... But I Knew That Diabetes Wouldn't Stop Me From Beyblading Grin
Friendship.

That is what Beyblade means to me.

I had two awesome friends who lived on the same block as me who's names were Jordan and Aaron. Everyday we would show up at Aarons house and play Dynasty Warriors and Dragonball Z Budokai for hours. Well, after I discovered Beyblade, all I wanted to do was play that, so I spent a lot of time on the Beyblade Spirit Forums, constantly learning more about Beyblade. Well, Aaron and Jordan would constantly come to my house just about everyday after I got out of school and ask if I wanted to hang out, and I would decline because I wanted to talk more with others about Beyblade.

Well, one fateful day they came to my door to ask if I wanted to hang out, and I was about to tell them no until they recognized that I had a Beyblade sitting next to the computer. They were so excited and said that they loved to Beyblade and had lots of them. My mind was blown. For the next year or so, we Beybladed just about everyday and had a friendship that was unbreakable.

To this day, Jordan, Aaron, and myself hardly speak anymore as we all sort of spit up and did out own things around the middle of high school. But we will always remember Beyblade as the glue to our friendship. I can guarantee you that if anyone were to ask any of us about Beyblade, we would immediately smile and recall all of the awesome times we had.
To me beyblade allows me a connection to my inner child and brings back memories of battling friends and siblings when I was still a wee tot. Whereas, the wbo on the other hand largely fuels my competitiveness
wow Suntailhawk!! Your story touched my heart! And after reading this, I'm gonna share my passion for Beyblade too!

Beyblade means a lot to me. With beyblade I gained new friends and some fun rivals! Every time I'm on a tournament I always tremble but not in fear, I tremble because of the excitement! The combos I made and the hard work I spent with beyblade made me grow a beyspirit. That hard training, see this game was so adicting that I even trained till my launcher arm couldn't take it anymore, my thumb was bleeding or my launcher broke (beylaucher that is XD I already broke one) But it was never like that. A couple of years ago I thought that beyblade shouldn't be taken too seriously (I'd like to punch the me from a couple of years back XD) I was always a lonely boy with only a few friends. I always get bullied and also got teased because I had an excavated chest. Still when I found beyblade I just had so much fun! I also played Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG and that made me weirder...but who cares? I liked having fun with the few friends I had in middle school. I even met my best friend Infinity. He was the one who mentored me about beyblade. I agree with Suntailhawk that beyblade is always judged as a children's game and if ppl saw u playing it, they would just brand you as "weirdo". But I don't care! My blader spirit gets fired up whenever I log in to WBO! Today I am 16 years old and going to 12th grade! And I still play! Hey, I also have a girlfriend. Infinity also has girlfriend. I believe that beyblade doesn't make u a weirdo. I believe that Beyblade gives you a pure spirit. Just like the one it gave me.

What Beyblade means to me? hehe, I'll tell you... I'm a die-hard fan!!

It's not another kid's game.
It's not just some plastic tops clashing.
It's not some toy.

For me, Beyblade is the most fun you can have!!
Essentially beyblade is my life. Without beyblade, I don't know what I'd do all day besides play basketball and draw. I would beyblade with my friends in 6th grade everyday! We had our Pegasus thunder whip stadium and our crappy combos and we would just battle everyday. We had a blast, but apparently over the summer, they all moved away from the hobby, leaving me alone with no friends to talk about beyblade with. I was embarrassed to tell them that I still play with them so even up until now going into my freshman year, they do not know I still play with my beys. Why do I still play? Well, it's a challenging 'sport' in my opinion. I live seeing how a simple part change could change a beys aesthetic performance so drastically. My friends just saw it as a child's game.

So beyblade to me? It's my #1 hobby over everything I do. And wen I found a site and saw how popular it was throughout the whole world and people so much older than me playing, I couldn't quit! Beyblade is my everything!
wow, everyone got such amazing stories! It is truely beautiful to see everyone's connection to beyblade and the wonder that was brough forth by this game. I am really glad that I shared what I shared.

MidnightLWBO, I admire your strength. You got the right attitude to deal with whatever obstacle in your life Wink
first off for all those bladers who are still embarrassed to tell there friends. tell them if they are your real friends sure they may tease you a little but if they are your true friends they will accept you for who you are instead of criticizing you even tell the world show them your beypride and beyspirit to show you serious about what you do that you love it and will not back down to taunts it took me a bit of time but i told my friends they did joke about it but accepted it. its my family that has the problem who scold and criticize me for buying them and even try to stop me but im 19 so i do what i choose its not like i do bad. my praise also goes out to bladers who keep on spinning there tops while dealing with much problems. and suntailhawk you have an an amazing heart and are an amazing person to put so much effort into caring for kids with needs that you would even blade seriously with them not much people care to put effort like that much any more i commend you for that keep up the good work

and know what beyblade means to me a game of bonds and a life lesson so back when plastics were out 2001 i believe one of the hottest toys in my area me and my friends (my first beyblade was a wing attacker) one whose is a bro battled it out often spinning our beys in all sorts of places before we essentially new it was bad for the tips any ways we always use to watch the shows and have all kinds of epic battles then some friend moved away my bro stayed so it was us then soon we stopped seeing plastics stopped showing up all saddened we moved on with our lives i also belive my family got rid of all my plastic beys (though i managed to get my hands on a driger v2 recently yay) anyways then in 2011 me and my friends saw the new metal saga beys metal fury we scoffed at them and decided not to buy the because the looked like carp to us later that year at my little cousins b-day he challenged my to a bey-battle with and electric top and a flame sagitario when i looks at sagitario i say not bad it actually looked pretty cool and well designed so we start battling my heart know set ablaze by this old passion of my past and we battled for a good while after words i couldn't stop thinking about beyblade and wanting to get back into the game so i soon later made a pact to go get a bey and get back into blading my first two first beys were dark wolf and rock aries one of my bros got storm pegasus in which we till this day when ever he comes over because he moved eventually we always have an l drago vs pegasus battles because we are rivals hehe my other friend just borroed a bey from me so eventually i was on my own in beyblade still a bit ashamed i played the game so i spent my time battling alone it was lonly but it still brought joy to my hearts though i still battled my little cousin at the time even though his brother would ruin some of my parts it was fun so then later i see that a tournament is going on in la so i jump at the chance to bond with other bey lovers it was the toy-wiz sponsored tournament eager i joind the wbo but the tourny was counceld i begann to get sad but then other blader came toghether and made the first tournament amazed by this magnificent group work i went to the tournament at first woried id be the oldest there i wassent and met many other bladers with so much passion for this amazing game from then on i started to take pride in beyblade and love it very much of of my main hobbies besides arts and crafts with martial arts (Tae-Kwon-Do) beyblade has helped me build many bonds with passionate people and its one of the main things keeping me happy real life because it is such a more complex game than it looks something people should not look down on as it is productive and get you thinking also alot of physics lol if you think about it almost anything can be childish in a persons view much i think those who think beyblade is just child game is badly mistaken its for everyone to enjoy and unite to build bonds at-least you dont see me going down a kiddie slide screaming in joy lol as for a life lesson beyblade has taught me to always put effort into what ever you truly love and you will succeed believed me i wasent the greatest when i started out but i got good. if its good you should always fallow my passion
Beyblade to me is the light at the end of the tunnel,or the brightest star in the sky.It is something that means so much to me and to my friends.It takes time to completely master beyblade,but its fun.the truth beyblade is fun,very fun
What Does Beyblade Mean to me? Beyblade is connecting with it and communicating with others through battle allowing the power of the cosmos to pour in to your beyblade spirit and battling not caring weither you win or lose putting yourself to the test that is what it means to me
You wanna know what beyblade means to me? I'll tell you anyway: when I was 6, I thought beyblade was some sort of an FPS game. Tyson's launcher did kinda look like a painted handgun to me. Then when I was eleven, I saw an episode of Metal Fusion and I noticed two things: 1. There was some big delayed guy yelling "B-B-BULL" through almost the whole episode. 2. The tops were based on CONSTELLATIONS, which mostly derived from mythology. At the time, I was obsessed with mythology and somewhat obsessed with zodiac signs.

I headed straight to target the next day to pick up my 1st bey(s). I got a 2-pack with Flame Bull and Rock Leone. When I battled with them ( on the ground/in a bowl), Leone always seemed to win because it was taller. I soon began collecting more and more beys, then built some combos that I saw as "competitive". Once I got a stadium, my peers in 5th grade enjoyed battling in it with me.

Then, they all left blading for sports and other stuff and I was then the only blader in my grade. I was a little lonely, now being the only blader and Pokemon player in my grade, and my friends had much different interests than me. During the summer, I flipped out when I saw Metal Masters in the store, then bought all the new beys with the money I had saved. Later in the summer when I was in New Jersey visiting my uncle(who is awesome enough to take some interest in my blading). I was on Toywiz, about to order my 1st Takara Tomy beys, but then I saw something much more epic: there was a beyblade tournament on August 21st in New York City. I was already going to New York City that day, so I then made an account on the website that hosted the tourney: WBO. I was immediately welcomed by lots of bladers and I began to post in threads, telling my opinions on the topics discussed. I felt like the WBO was a second family already!

The day of the tourney came, and my dad, uncle, and I left for New York. I had some original combos that did well in my Hasbro stadium (Burn as an attack wheel, don't judge meh), so I assumed they would be ok in a BB10 too. When I got to the park, I was extremely intimidated by almost 130 total bladers!(one of WBO's biggest tourneys ever!) I quickly made friends and surprisingly beat most of my opponents in practice. Then came my 1st match against a blader with Meteo LDrago. I used a Burn Unicorno DF105HF/S and switched to HF mode on the tip. I won the match, but the the results somehow said that my opponent won.. I didn't care though, because I just loved battling with new acquaintances.

I later battled someone named CyeKinomiya and he creamed me with the deadly Basalt wheel. I changed my blading style since then, and that powerful blader didn't only have a huge impact on my blading career, but CyeKinomiya also placed 3rd out of the tons of bladers there! It started to rain, so I left the tourney, even though I wasn't eliminated. Since then, I increased my collection by about 60 beys, and have been to 15 tourneys. My rank skyrocketed and I enjoyed the tourneys every time I went. Now, I can blade with people near me in Richmond/VA beach/ NC tourneys and have made some really close friends.

3 years later, here I am admiring how beys changed my life. I don't know what I'd do if there was no WBO. I feel that thousands of people have grown closer through small tops. Most people think beys aren't like the anime because they don't have powers, but I know they have a very important power: Bringing people closer through simply spinning in a little dish. Beys are spinning miracles that bond people with the same interests together, And also a way of using up your parents' car gas to get to these "miraculous bonding events" XD. That's Beyblade to me.
Wow,those are some amazing stories.I'm still a kid who is just starting junior high but I'm the only one of my friends who play beyblade.I'm not popular and I only have a couple of friends.But beyblade to me is a way to let all my worries out and let my geeky self out and bring science into it with stuff like friction an centrifugal force.Even though no one plays with me,I sure have a heck of a time playing by myself in my room.The great thing is now that my cousins are getting into beyblade.Even though I just joined WBO, I already fill connected to other bladers here.
For me, it is mostly nostalgia, but in the way that most people think about their glory days and conquests in College etc. I grew up with a tight knit group of friends, we all bladed and at the peak of the craze in school were considered the most lethal team/team to beat. Blading took us on some pretty amazing adventures, through some awesome tournaments and allowed us to experience some incredible things (I one day may write a book about!). To me it will always make me think of those friends, the highs, and the times where a literal bit chip acted as a spiritual totem to get me through the low times. It was adventure, passion and an element of spirituality. It was coming of age, dealing with conflict, and settling scores.
Beyblade means the world to me....it means success.
Beyblade means friendship that I will never let go...thats what Tyson taught me.
Beyblade means never giving up on anything....and thats how being the most looser girl in class...I became the topper in almost all subjects ....even in maths.
Beyblade means believing in urself and never ever underestimating it.
And most importantly beyblade means being urself and never imitating anyone.
Tyson Granger is my role model...I want to be just like him because being like him means being myself...
(Jul. 28, 2017  2:55 AM)Eleanor Wrote: Beyblade means the world to me....it means success.
Beyblade means friendship that I will never let go...thats what Tyson taught me.
Beyblade means never giving up on anything....and thats how being the most looser girl in class...I became the topper in almost all subjects ....even in maths.
Beyblade means believing in urself and never ever underestimating it.
And most importantly beyblade means being urself and never imitating anyone.
Tyson Granger is my role model...I want to be just like him because being like him means being myself...

Well said ;-;
*wipes tear
Lately, Beyblade is a way for me to relax after a long day of work. There's been a lot going on with me, like a busy schedule, errands, and typical life stuff. When I feel like taking things easy after all of that is over, I whip out the stadium and pit a few tops against each other. Sometimes I even watch a bey spin in place (preferably Rising Ragnaruk) while I let my mind wander for a couple minutes. The satisfying whirring of the performance tip on the stadium soothes me somehow, and really helps calm me down.

The only times where I did feel pumped to Beyblade was with my friends. They aren't fans like I am, but I bring my collection so we can do something to kill time in anime conventions. Obviously, we'd have a blast, and sometimes other people joined in on the fun too. I remember a couple people joining in on the action while we waited in a line up for a panel. We cheered, laughed, and had a great time. It was probably the most enjoyment I've had with Beyblading since I was a kid and took me back to the times when I would get hyped seeing tops clash against one another.